ADVERTISEMENT

Get to know an AOTF HOF candidate: Kref

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Those who have only been around for the past seven years or so might only know Kref was special by the reverence with which other old-timers speak of him. But he was more than special. A talented artist who earned the respect of his peers, Kref came to the OTF when we were already a couple of years old, but he made an immediate impact, winning the 2005 Goatie for Best Signature Changer, but barely losing out to Hogstar Runner (I know, right?) for Best Newcomer (by a single vote!), which was voted on by other posters, and not at all a scam.

And he wasn't just talented with cartooning. He was a wordsmith, too. His "OTF 12 Days of Xmas" reads like a history of this forum.

Kref had the perfect combination of irreverence, humor, perversion and IDGAFF attitude for this place. If you were to take the 1% positive attributes most of us have, and mash them altogether into one poster without all the 99% BS the rest of us carry around, you'd get Kref.

Sadly, Kref was taken from us too soon. But in the five years we knew him, he made quite an impression.

Kref will appear on the HOF ballot at the recommendation of the Veterans' Committee. Those of you who remember him, please feel free to share why you think he deserves to be inducted into the HOF.

His buttons were great. He made several for me during coaching changes. Great person too. Actually seemed to have a heart and care. I miss him and Andy daily.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Those who have only been around for the past seven years or so might only know Kref was special by the reverence with which other old-timers speak of him. But he was more than special..

He also knew what this was.
ta152stbweb.jpg

and knew who piloted this.
ju87g_2666sf.jpg

Does anyone else? I doubt it. I miss our conversations. Kref and DJ were the first OTF'ers I talked to along with Andy. Mostly about old time blues music, which Kref also knew very well.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Kref was one of the driving forces behind a crazy idea called OTF Media or something to that effect. In my mind it would have been something similar to thechive and those other similar sites, but years before they were on the scene. He was a really cool dude, and made late-nights on the OTF a hell of a lot cooler. I've always wondered if he were still around if that idea would have gotten off the ground.

Also cracks me up that as I am re-reading the OTF 12 Days of Christmas my reaction today was the same as it was back then, how dare he call me a filthy Frenchman!

ta152stbweb.jpg

ju87g_2666sf.jpg

Does anyone else? I doubt it. I miss our conversations. Kref and DJ were the first OTF'ers I talked to along with Andy. Mostly about old time blues music, which Kref also knew very well.

What kind of card-carrying adult male can't at least take a guess at those? The first looks like a FW109, but I think the nose is a little long, so maybe it's something else? It has a radial engine, so I'm guessing a FW something-or-other.

The only Stuka pilot I can name is Hans Ulrich Rudel, so that's my guess on the second one.

How ya doing?

Those who have only been around for the past seven years or so might only know Kref was special by the reverence with which other old-timers speak of him. But he was more than special. A talented artist who earned the respect of his peers, Kref came to the OTF when we were already a couple of years old, but he made an immediate impact, winning the 2005 Goatie for Best Signature Changer, but barely losing out to Hogstar Runner (I know, right?) for Best Newcomer (by a single vote!), which was voted on by other posters, and not at all a scam.

And he wasn't just talented with cartooning. He was a wordsmith, too. His "OTF 12 Days of Xmas" reads like a history of this forum.

Kref had the perfect combination of irreverence, humor, perversion and IDGAFF attitude for this place. If you were to take the 1% positive attributes most of us have, and mash them altogether into one poster without all the 99% BS the rest of us carry around, you'd get Kref.

Sadly, Kref was taken from us too soon. But in the five years we knew him, he made quite an impression.

Kref will appear on the HOF ballot at the recommendation of the Veterans' Committee. Those of you who remember him, please feel free to share why you think he deserves to be inducted into the HOF.

"And Mike Davis in some other school's T."

Classic. Wish I had written that.

Even with all the angst over Crean I don't believe it comes anywhere near the target-rich Davis era.

ta152stbweb.jpg

ju87g_2666sf.jpg

That's a plane....and it was piloted by a pilot.

What do I win?

Kref should be in the AOTF because a lot of people I have a lot of respect for think he should be in. That's beyond good enough for me.

The "old" AOTF intimidated me, and guys like Kref were the reason why - because they were great posters. Note: I don't admit being intimidated very easily.

I remember seeing Kref in person at a Peegs/Midnight Madness (back when it wasn't while the sun was still up). Not sure I even spoke with him then, but he was another one of the long-standing members of the OTF who encouraged banter and welcomed (most) newbies. There are only a few pillars of the OTF foundation that I can think of, and he would certainly be one of them.

XLSMcQSEG, his artistic talent, his quick wit, inclusive nature (as evidenced by that 12 days spoof), his stories...the buttons he started (AFAI can remember - the memory starts to go...hell, I can't even tell who some of you whippersnappers are, with the fancy new names and a few with the 'mean girl' mentalities. Wait, what was my point?).

Kref's got my vote. You know, depending on the voter ID requirements and all.

I remember seeing Kref in person at a Peegs/Midnight Madness (back when it wasn't while the sun was still up). Not sure I even spoke with him then, but he was another one of the long-standing members of the OTF who encouraged banter and welcomed (most) newbies. There are only a few pillars of the OTF foundation that I can think of, and he would certainly be one of them.

XLSMcQSEG, his artistic talent, his quick wit, inclusive nature (as evidenced by that 12 days spoof), his stories...the buttons he started (AFAI can remember - the memory starts to go...hell, I can't even tell who some of you whippersnappers are, with the fancy new names and a few with the 'mean girl' mentalities. Wait, what was my point?).

Kref's got my vote. You know, depending on the voter ID requirements and all.
I forgot about XLSMcQSEG. That always got me, because my dad always said the same thing. I always wondered if they someone met each other once, because I never heard anyone else ever say it.

I watched several games with Kref and attended a couple Midnight Madness events with him also. Great guy.

Reactions: MillerTime
What kind of card-carrying adult male can't at least take a guess at those? The first looks like a FW109, but I think the nose is a little long, so maybe it's something else? It has a radial engine, so I'm guessing a FW something-or-other.

The only Stuka pilot I can name is Hans Ulrich Rudel, so that's my guess on the second one.

How ya doing?
Correct and correct. It's a Ta-152H1, the last of the Fw-190's. It has a piston engine though. the radial was replaced during the D series. And yea, that's Rudel's plane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT