ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia governor to open movie theaters, gyms etc..

You need to know two simple facts:
  1. The governor of Georgia a couple weeks ago was astounded to learn about asymptomatic carriers. He’s an idiot.
  2. Georgia cases have an increasing rate, not a decreasing rate.
I’m not among this about politics, I’m making it about dumb v not dumb. Stop whatabouting with NYC. We’re not talking about NYC.

Georgia is clearly ran by an idiot.
Or a liar or both.

1. The governor of Georgia a couple weeks ago was astounded to learn about asymptomatic carriers. He’s an idiot.
I’m not among this about politics, I’m making it about dumb v not dumb. Stop whatabouting with NYC. We’re not talking about NYC.

Maybe Kemp thought the guidelines said they needed a two-week decline in the number of citizens.

Nobody I care about lives in Georgia, so if their Governor wants to treat his entire electorate as lab rats... Better them than us.

Except the lab rats would be out of their cages and be basically free to wander into your state, carrying their virus particles with their stupidity

Reactions: Sope Creek
Nobody wants to have loved ones get sick and possibly die from this, however, I do not believe we can stay locked down like this indefinitely. The idea of staying in was to bend the curve so that our medical facilities would not be overburdened. We appear to have done that in most areas...

Except that one of those areas is not Goorgia.

...yet any thought of opening things back up a little bit becomes another screed from one side of the political aisle about wanting to kill people.

You forgot to take your reality pills this morning, Crazy. One side of the aisle?

27290502-0-image-a-15_1587076425402.jpg

fcd4e15d-9b4c-4624-9317-c851a8bbf527_360x203.png

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
There is a Yesterday article out about 5 people who attended an Indianapolis sectional game have died, and according to a widow, numerous others who attended have had the disease.

The game was played March 6. I recall that day really well, Indiana women played Rutgers in the Big 10 tournament. I recall listening to the news on the way to that game hearing that Indiana had just reported its first case. I know I thought what everyone else did, one case wasn't a big enough problem to warrant missing the game. I am sure those 5 thought the same thing.

For me, we gave away our tickets to the rest of the women's tournament, the realization that so many people from so many places were attending made it too dangerous hit.

I know we are not opening up mass gatherings like that, but the concern many of us is, how do we trust others will wear masks and social distance? Because the more people go bowling together, the more they go see movies together, the more of a risk they present to others at the grocery, or even walking on the street.

Those 5 probably had no realistic expectation that attending a basketball game would be a death sentence. Now we know this is happening. We know $10/hour workers, without health insurance because that makes conservatives happy, are working in Kroger, or McDonald's, and their risks are about to go up because someone is desperate to bowl. I am not sure I get the priorities. Trump laid out recommendations, I did not complain about them. These are governor's who find Trump crazy cautious. That is crazy.

Yeah, that attitude sucks. Way to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

What attitude could I take that would be part of the solution? I don't even have the option of voting against the guy in the next election.

That last sentence was obvious when he was campaigning, and especially in his previous role as Sec of State. Remember his pick-up truck ad where he was going to "round up criminal illegals" and drive then home myself"? Yeah, I'm not sure the fact that he didn't know the virus could be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers" 2 mos after the entire civilized world knew it really came as that much of a shock. He's not just one of the duller tools in the shed- he's a tool that has been left out in the rain and snow to rust...

"So committed is he to this unsavory designation that he put out a series of tongue-in-cheek campaign ads, ostensibly aimed at getting liberals and moderates to clutch their ethically sourced soy pearls. In one, titled “So Conservative,” Kemp says, “I got a big truck just in case I need to round up criminal illegals and take ‘em home myself.” In another, he polishes a shotgun while sitting next to a young man who is interested in one of his daughters. In a third — creatively titled “Offends” — he stares defiantly into the camera and proclaims, “I support President Trump, our troops, and iron-clad borders, and I stand for our national anthem. If any of this offends you, then I’m not your guy.”

Though the ads may seem to be self-aware of their own antagonistic nature, Kemp is dead serious about all of this; his “politically incorrect” positions include vowing to “sign the toughest abortion laws in the country,” not supporting a woman’s right to an abortion
even in cases of rape or incest, backing anti-LGBTQ legislation, and in March, he proposed a “track and deport” plan for illegal immigration."

https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/brian-kemp-georgia-governor-race-voter-suppression.html

Don't feign obtuse. Not this would be a great starting point.

"feign obtuse"?

I sincerely don't want to be a red gov's lab rat. (Do you?) I'm also sincerely relieved to hear this isn't happening in a state or country where I have friends or family.

Once again, what should my attitude be?

Realistically, we have enforced a one size fits all response to the virus on the entire country. In my opinion, this is more of an urban/high population density virus and steps to prevent its spread in NYC should probably look different than they do in Montana.
You would be wrong. Each state has responded independently. That said, many have seen what happened in NY and WA and CA and have taken lessons from them. So yes, many of the states have individually decided to take similar action.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
There is a Yesterday article out about 5 people who attended an Indianapolis sectional game have died, and according to a widow, numerous others who attended have had the disease.

The game was played March 6. I recall that day really well, Indiana women played Rutgers in the Big 10 tournament. I recall listening to the news on the way to that game hearing that Indiana had just reported its first case. I know I thought what everyone else did, one case wasn't a big enough problem to warrant missing the game. I am sure those 5 thought the same thing.

For me, we gave away our tickets to the rest of the women's tournament, the realization that so many people from so many places were attending made it too dangerous hit.

I know we are not opening up mass gatherings like that, but the concern many of us is, how do we trust others will wear masks and social distance? Because the more people go bowling together, the more they go see movies together, the more of a risk they present to others at the grocery, or even walking on the street.

Those 5 probably had no realistic expectation that attending a basketball game would be a death sentence. Now we know this is happening. We know $10/hour workers, without health insurance because that makes conservatives happy, are working in Kroger, or McDonald's, and their risks are about to go up because someone is desperate to bowl. I am not sure I get the priorities. Trump laid out recommendations, I did not complain about them. These are governor's who find Trump crazy cautious. That is crazy.

I read the story yesterday and commented to idiots maintaining that the basketball game wasn't the catalyst. Obviously the naysayers were not familiar with Indiana basketball, or the layout of Marion Co and how unlikely it would be for random fans from Warren,
Lawrence and Washington Townships to all attend the same sectional game,all die of the same disease within a few weeks of each other and NOT have it be connected to the game...

Then last night in chat, Rabby was discussing that one of the victims was an AD at one school, another was an Asst Coach at a different one and that he knew all the victims. Basically we're talking about people who he has come to know thru either his days at the Star or his current reporting on IU recruiting. It strikes me as pretty astonishing when you look at it that way...

Neddenriep did a pretty good write up in the Star...

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...e-central-basketball-sectional-10/5145870002/

Except that one of those areas is not Goorgia.

You forgot to take your reality pills this morning, Crazy. One side of the aisle?

27290502-0-image-a-15_1587076425402.jpg

fcd4e15d-9b4c-4624-9317-c851a8bbf527_360x203.png

Yeah, those people protesting are saying that they are ready to go back to work. The curve is bent. That governor's who say it is ok to shop aisles 1-14 of a store but not aisles 15-22 are being stupid.

Look, I agree with flattening the curve, but there are people who realistically think that we should stay shut down into the summer. At a certain point, keeping the economy ground to a halt is going to do more long term damage than opening the country back up.

And yes, those people went out to protest were in groups the size of which you see at every grocery store around here and people acted like they were marching folks off to the gas chamber. Furthermore, they were not breaking any laws, which is another stupid claim I have seen.

Most of us here are lucky, we still have our jobs and are not being expected to live off savings or $1200 government payouts or unemployment. So instead of bashing some of these people, live in their shoes too.

You would be wrong. Each state has responded independently. That said, many have seen what happened in NY and WA and CA and have taken lessons from them. So yes, many of the states have individually decided to take similar action.

It is a large case of groupthink.

Again, I support bending the curve, but when the curve is bent, when do we open back up? We may not have a vaccine or treatment for this for a year. Life is full of risks, at what point would you guys agree with opening back up, because this disease is with us for good now. Thank China for that, but it is not going away.

I read the story yesterday and commented to idiots maintaining that the basketball game wasn't the catalyst. Obviously the naysayers were not familiar with Indiana basketball, or the layout of Marion Co and how unlikely it would be for random fans from Warren,
Lawrence and Washington Townships to all attend the same sectional game,all die of the same disease within a few weeks of each other and NOT have it be connected to the game...

Then last night in chat, Rabby was discussing that one of the victims was an AD at one school, another was an Asst Coach at a different one and that he knew all the victims. Basically we're talking about people who he has come to know thru either his days at the Star or his current reporting on IU recruiting. It strikes me as pretty astonishing when you look at it that way...

Neddenriep did a pretty good write up in the Star...

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...e-central-basketball-sectional-10/5145870002/

I personally know a member of the family of one of those people (worked with her) and it is awful what they are going through as they lost 2 family members. It sucks.

We can still keep large gatherings like that shut down, where you are pretty anchored in place for an extended amount of time, while opening up some other stuff slowly in areas that are on the downward side of the curve. Restaurants will still probably be carryout but stores could open.

And after all this is over, I hope that many of you can get past your "Orange Man Bad" long enough to start looking at punishing China for their culpability in releasing this on the world.

Personal choice is no longer personal choice.
Has it ever been, really?

Sure there currently are more limitations on the options available based on smart pragmatic considerations, but we've never really had "I'm gonna do whatever the *&%$ I want" . . . until the *&%$ing Tea Party garbage. Now even smart pragmatic considerations are devalued in favor of the "I'm gonna do whatever the *&%$ I want . . . FREEDOM!!!!" junk.

It's a matter of values . . . I suspect you have more than "I'm gonna do whatever the *&%$ I want . . . FREEDOM!!!" values. It would be good of you to help delineate where the societal range of discretion ends instead of full-on . . . well, I'll let you fill in that blank.

Reactions: Circlejoe
Yeah, those people protesting are saying that they are ready to go back to work. The curve is bent. That governor's who say it is ok to shop aisles 1-14 of a store but not aisles 15-22 are being stupid.

Look, I agree with flattening the curve, but there are people who realistically think that we should stay shut down into the summer. At a certain point, keeping the economy ground to a halt is going to do more long term damage than opening the country back up.

And yes, those people went out to protest were in groups the size of which you see at every grocery store around here and people acted like they were marching folks off to the gas chamber. Furthermore, they were not breaking any laws, which is another stupid claim I have seen.

Most of us here are lucky, we still have our jobs and are not being expected to live off savings or $1200 government payouts or unemployment. So instead of bashing some of these people, live in their shoes too.

Ah...so now you want to move those goalposts, huh? It's not just one side being political. Now it's that it's okay for the people you agree with to be political. And where did I bash them? You said one side was being political and I showed you how that wasn't the case. You complain about an unfair "screed" from one side and then have the balls to insinuate that I don't care about the economic struggles of people who are struggling. Should have guessed as much. Pound sand, Crazy. You embody all that you complain about.

At a certain point, keeping the economy ground to a halt is going to do more long term damage than opening the country back up.
Do you have any scientific data to back up that statement?

Damage to what/whom?

This may be a better example of your "large group think" comment above.

For low wage workers -- like myself -- the enhanced unemployment benefits are sufficient to maintain ones income. But there's a lot of concerns. One is that actually being able to get online and make your way through the maze that is the IN unemployment website is more than many of the most vulnerable can do. Take my word on that. And they don't have a physical unemployment office to assist them. The other concern is for those same vulnerable people who get called back when things loosen up -- are they going to have to decide between going back to work and being exposed to Covid or losing the income they've somehow been able to receive?

Ah...so now you want to move those goalposts, huh? It's not just one side being political. Now it's that it's okay for the people you agree with to be political. And where did I bash them? You said one side was being political and I showed you how that wasn't the case. You complain about an unfair "screed" from one side and then have the balls to insinuate that I don't care about the economic struggles of people who are struggling. Should have guessed as much. Pound sand, Crazy. You embody all that you complain about.

Go eat a sammich, you're hangry.

Complete bull about the size of the groups. Why would you go on record defending these idiots?

Complete bull about the size of the groups. Why would you go on record defending these idiots?
The thing I always wondering about when I see these demonstrators is how insecure do they have to be to play dress up and bring their guns out to play?

What are these protestors really bitching about? Most all states are very marginally enforcing the stay at home orders. No state is posting guards at the end of people’s driveways. If you don’t want to follow the rules, you can go out all day long every day. Aside from getting a haircut and hitting the gym, very few businesses are “closed” under the orders. In fact, when you have heard these protestors interviewed, they are usually complaining about not being able to go to a hair salon or paint store. All very minor things to save lives.

That last sentence was obvious when he was campaigning, and especially in his previous role as Sec of State. Remember his pick-up truck ad where he was going to "round up criminal illegals" and drive then home myself"? Yeah, I'm not sure the fact that he didn't know the virus could be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers" 2 mos after the entire civilized world knew it really came as that much of a shock. He's not just one of the duller tools in the shed- he's a tool that has been left out in the rain and snow to rust...

"So committed is he to this unsavory designation that he put out a series of tongue-in-cheek campaign ads, ostensibly aimed at getting liberals and moderates to clutch their ethically sourced soy pearls. In one, titled “So Conservative,” Kemp says, “I got a big truck just in case I need to round up criminal illegals and take ‘em home myself.” In another, he polishes a shotgun while sitting next to a young man who is interested in one of his daughters. In a third — creatively titled “Offends” — he stares defiantly into the camera and proclaims, “I support President Trump, our troops, and iron-clad borders, and I stand for our national anthem. If any of this offends you, then I’m not your guy.”

Though the ads may seem to be self-aware of their own antagonistic nature, Kemp is dead serious about all of this; his “politically incorrect” positions include vowing to “sign the toughest abortion laws in the country,” not supporting a woman’s right to an abortion
even in cases of rape or incest, backing anti-LGBTQ legislation, and in March, he proposed a “track and deport” plan for illegal immigration."

https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/brian-kemp-georgia-governor-race-voter-suppression.html
I didn't know much about him until he came out a few weeks ago and said he didn't know COVID-19 could be spread by asymptomatic people (apparently he still doesn't).

I know that conceptually it makes conservatives cream in their pants to 'piss off the libs', but I never imagined a governor of a US state would actually run on that platform, much less base his legislative decisions on it.

One thing is certain. Guys like him and Trump have changed the meaning of the saying 'anyone can grow up to be president'. Apparently what that means now is that all you have to do is physically grow up.

Reactions: cosmickid
What are these protestors really bitching about? Most all states are very marginally enforcing the stay at home orders. No state is posting guards at the end of people’s driveways. If you don’t want to follow the rules, you can go out all day long every day. Aside from getting a haircut and hitting the gym, very few businesses are “closed” under the orders. In fact, when you have heard these protestors interviewed, they are usually complaining about not being able to go to a hair salon or paint store. All very minor things to save lives.
My guess is that this is mainly a chance for a lot of these guys to dust off their gun collections, confederate flags and fake army gear and drive around town a bit to fend off 'oppression'.

That said, your post made me think of this tweet. I got a chuckle out of it.

I personally know a member of the family of one of those people (worked with her) and it is awful what they are going through as they lost 2 family members. It sucks.

We can still keep large gatherings like that shut down, where you are pretty anchored in place for an extended amount of time, while opening up some other stuff slowly in areas that are on the downward side of the curve. Restaurants will still probably be carryout but stores could open.

And after all this is over, I hope that many of you can get past your "Orange Man Bad" long enough to start looking at punishing China for their culpability in releasing this on the world.

What is interesting is that I,am defending "the orange man". He laid out a policy of when to reopen. I said the night he released it that the plan looks reasonable even if I may have some doubts about testing.

These governors are anti-Trump, they are ignoring his plan.

My guess is that this is mainly a chance for a lot of these guys to dust off their gun collections, confederate flags and fake army gear and drive around town a bit to fend off 'oppression'.

That said, you post made me think of this tweet. I got a chuckle out of it.

This crowd looks an awful lot like the Tea Party crowd. At least some the Michigan gridlock protestors were organized by a Betsy DeVos related group. I’d bet you will find some Koch and NRA involvement as well. These are astroturfed protests.

Defend? I guess I understand where they are coming from, even if I do not 100% agree with the methods.

Look, the estimate for when this will end keeps getting pushed out. And the initial idea was to bend the curve so that the health system would not be overwhelmed, but the unsaid part of that is that we are going to have to take our medicine with this virus. There may never be a vaccine. So at a certain point, scary as I think it may be, we are going to have to reopen. And I think that timeframe is going to need to be in the next few weeks or else we go from a viral caused hardship to an economically caused one.

I didn't know much about him until he came out a few weeks ago and said he didn't know COVID-19 could be spread by asymptomatic people (apparently he still doesn't).

I know that conceptually it makes conservatives cream in their pants to 'piss off the libs', but I never imagined a governor of a US state would actually run on that platform, much less base his legislative decisions on it.

One thing is certain. Guys like him and Trump have changed the meaning of the saying 'anyone can grow up to be president'. Apparently what that means now is that all you have to do is physically grow up.
To put Kemp's election into perspective, it took an even dumber and more egregious liar to lose to him. It was a true battle of the titans. Stacey Abrams may be the dumbest politician I have ever met, but I am confident that she would be as premature as Kemp in opening up restaurants down here, just for a different reason.

What is interesting is that I,am defending "the orange man". He laid out a policy of when to reopen. I said the night he released it that the plan looks reasonable even if I may have some doubts about testing.

These governors are anti-Trump, they are ignoring his plan.

Do you ever start a post and go down a road that does not necessarily apply to the post you were originally responding too? I have done that with you and hoosboot today and apparently stepped on toes.

I am lazy on this forum, if I wasn't I would try and use the brush to do color by numbers...but I usually start out that way but by the end I am dumping the whole bucket of paint out because paint by numbers is more tedious a task then what I wanted to do.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Defend? I guess I understand where they are coming from, even if I do not 100% agree with the methods.

Look, the estimate for when this will end keeps getting pushed out. And the initial idea was to bend the curve so that the health system would not be overwhelmed, but the unsaid part of that is that we are going to have to take our medicine with this virus. There may never be a vaccine. So at a certain point, scary as I think it may be, we are going to have to reopen. And I think that timeframe is going to need to be in the next few weeks or else we go from a viral caused hardship to an economically caused one.
Some of the studies coming out are pretty interesting too. The latest from USC shows that almost half a million people in LA are thought to have been infected. if you can extrapolate this across the country the death rate will be very, very, very low. i guess the test/research is still being vetted, but there are similar tests coming down the pike from major universities on both coasts. it'll be interesting to see if the USC research is accurate.

This is from the WH Guidance:

Vulnerable Individuals
1. Elderly individuals.

2. Individuals with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune system is compromised such as by chemotherapy for cancer and other conditions requiring such therapy.

What % of the country fall under this category? What happens to them?

How many of your would actually go to a restaurant, gym, barber, etc. if they opened in two weeks? I doubt I'd do anything other than carry-out for the next several months (local businesses only), no gym (just bought an exercise bike), and plan on either growing my hair out or trimming it to the scalp.

How many of your would actually go to a restaurant, gym, barber, etc. if they opened in two weeks? I doubt I'd do anything other than carry-out for the next several months (local businesses only), no gym (just bought an exercise bike), and plan on either growing my hair out or trimming it to the scalp.

This is the point I made early and keep making. You can throw open all of society. What you cannot do is make people engage.

Reactions: RedFan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT