ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia governor to open movie theaters, gyms etc..

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
This is the same guy who said a few weeks ago said he didn’t realize that somebody could be asymptomatic.

Anybody think they’re going to disinfect every seat after every showing? The virus can live on a surface for a number of days. Not that I would go into a movie theater these days but if I did I bring my own cleaning supplies.

I certainly hope this isn’t the case, but I fear opening those type of businesses up so soon will cause a huge explosion in cases. Gyms puzzle me the most. Would seem a hotbed for virus spread with people sweating, breathing heavy, using the same equipment, etc.

My job, which is now dead in the water, for the last 10 years or so has been driving cruise ships. I was on a small vessel. 60 passengers and 60 crew. Every spring we would get passengers on board with the Norro virus. It’s named after a very small town in Ohio where it was discovered in the 1960s at an elementary school. It stays on flat surfaces for 24 hours. So you can imagine on a cruise ship where everybody is putting their hands on hand railings and eating in the same restaurant facilities that the virus can spread quickly. I always figured that they got this from the armrests on their airline seat. Most people then go home and think they had food poisoning or the flu but if they went to a cruise ship it would multiply and become more obvious. Driving the ship is four hours on and eight hours off with no days off. We would have hand sanitizer everywhere and would refularlybe wiping down the navigation equipment etc so that it didn’t spread from one watch officer to the next.

I see the seat in movie theater or the gym equipment as an extension of the same problem as the airline seat. Except the virus can stay on flat surfaces for days.

My job, which is now dead in the water, for the last 10 years or so has been driving cruise ships. I was on a small vessel. 60 passengers and 60 crew. Every spring we would get passengers on board with the Norro virus. It’s named after a very small town in Ohio where it was discovered in the 1960s at an elementary school. It stays on flat surfaces for 24 hours. So you can imagine on a cruise ship where everybody is putting their hands on hand railings and eating in the same restaurant facilities that the virus can spread quickly. I always figured that they got this from the armrests on their airline seat. Most people then go home and think they had food poisoning or the flu but if they went to a cruise ship it would multiply and become more obvious. Driving the ship is four hours on and eight hours off with no days off. We would have hand sanitizer everywhere and would refularlybe wiping down the navigation equipment etc so that it didn’t spread from one watch officer to the next.

I see the seat in movie theater or the gym equipment as an extension of the same problem as the airline seat. Except the virus can stay on flat surfaces for days.

Serious question:
Is the terminology really "driving" cruise ships?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Some of the places that are opening soon are certainly not essential and impossible to social distance....hair salons, nail salons, massage spas, etc. Georgia had an upswing in cases now. Not a good idea. Hopefully people will ignore the governor and continue to stay home.

Serious question:
Is the terminology really "driving" cruise ships?
Yep. It might not be the right Hollywood term. If there are issues related to visibility, traffic or geographical restrictions you might have a helmsman and that helmsman would be steering a course for you - but if you were going to ask the third officer, the second officer or the chief officer what their primary job was they would say it is driving the boat.

In general the third officer is a safety officer and drives a boat from 8 to 12, the second officer is in charge of navigation and drives the boat from 12 to 4 and the chief officer is the liaison connection with bosun and who runs deck crew and is responsible for maintenance. The chief officer drives the boat from 4 to 8. The captain comes on the bridge for docking, anchoring and other situations when there might be extenuating circumstances.

Contracts are usually four months on and four months off. No days off. lots of other responsibilities such as mooring stations, drills, meet the officers, deck tours. Hard work and no money.

Last edited:
Some of the places that are opening soon are certainly not essential and impossible to social distance....hair salons, nail salons, massage spas, etc. Georgia had an upswing in cases now. Not a good idea. Hopefully people will ignore the governor and continue to stay home.
I'm fairly certain the governor isn't hauling these folks to the nail salon.
Therefore, it's a personal choice.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
I'm fairly certain the governor isn't hauling these folks to the nail salon.
Therefore, it's a personal choice.

what about the grocery store cashier? Does that person get to make a personal choice regarding the woman who went to the nail salon earlier that day? If the woman who chose to get her nails done gets Covid and requires an EMT, does the EMT get to decide to take the call?

Yeah it’s a personal choice to “live your life” but many others can be affected by your choice.

what about the grocery store cashier? Does that person get to make a personal choice regarding the woman who went to the nail salon earlier that day? If the woman who chose to get her nails done gets Covid and requires an EMT, does the EMT get to decide to take the call?

Yeah it’s a personal choice to “live your life” but many others can be affected by your choice.
There isn't a "right" answer.
At some point people are going to run out of their or someone's money.

Reactions: AtlantaCat
Amazing when GA just today reported 5th most new cases of any state in the country (about 1,300 new cases today). In top quarter of states with per capita active cases.

It’s going to happen when the brakes are taken off. They have to be sooner or later. It’s not going away. We can’t lockdown for months. I guess we can. Maybe all prices will go negative like oil.

Yep. It might not be the right Hollywood term. If there are issues related to visibility, traffic or geographical restrictions you might have a helmsman and that helmsman would be steering a course for you - but if you were going to ask the third officer, the second officer or the chief officer what their primary job was they would say it is driving the boat.

In general the third officer is a safety officer and drives a boat from 8 to 12, the second officer is in charge of navigation and drives the boat from 12 to 4 and the chief officer is the liaison connection with bosun and who runs deck crew and is responsible for maintenance. The chief officer drives the boat from 4 to 8. The captain comes on the bridge for docking, anchoring and other situations when there might be extenuating circumstances.

Contracts are usually four months on and four months off. No days off. lots of other responsibilities such as mooring stations, drills, meet the officers, deck tours. Hard work and no money.

Interesting.
Thank you!

Reactions: RBB89
Personal choice is no longer personal choice.
I agree.
You know, I'm a great driver. I just have amazing hand/eye coordination, reflexes, and eyesight. This whole "speed limit" thing is so arbitrary. I get why some drivers need them. They are not as skilled as I am. I should be able to make the choice to drive 100 mph on the interstate, 50 mph through school zones, 70 mph around my neighborhood. The government is taking away my personal freedom because some people can't drive very well. I bought a car, and did some work on it so that I can drive as fast as I want, but I am being told how I have to drive by Big Brother. In fact, even with speed limits, people are going to die. It's a fact of life. I guarantee, I'll kill less people than some dumbass who doesn't use his mirrors/blinkers before he changes lanes.
I think I'm going to drive over to the governor's mansion and race up and down his street at 80 mph holding up a sign that says, "Better dead than Red". Anyone want to join me?

Amazing when GA just today reported 5th most new cases of any state in the country (about 1,300 new cases today). In top quarter of states with per capita active cases.
Will be interesting I guess as a test case to see how it plays out.

I agree.
You know, I'm a great driver. I just have amazing hand/eye coordination, reflexes, and eyesight. This whole "speed limit" thing is so arbitrary. I get why some drivers need them. They are not as skilled as I am. I should be able to make the choice to drive 100 mph on the interstate, 50 mph through school zones, 70 mph around my neighborhood. The government is taking away my personal freedom because some people can't drive very well. I bought a car, and did some work on it so that I can drive as fast as I want, but I am being told how I have to drive by Big Brother. In fact, even with speed limits, people are going to die. It's a fact of life. I guarantee, I'll kill less people than some dumbass who doesn't use his mirrors/blinkers before he changes lanes.
I think I'm going to drive over to the governor's mansion and race up and down his street at 80 mph holding up a sign that says, "Better dead than Red". Anyone want to join me?

I 100% agree with your analogy to covid19....but dammit, i can drive faster than most. :)

My daughter is a supervisor for the local Amazon hub. Thousands work there. They have had three positive cases. This can be done.

I would think letting businesses open up on a county by county basis would be the proper method.

I think for a lot of businesses that makes sense, bars being the exception. If Brown County opened up a bar and Monroe and Bartholomew did not, it would be completely packed with people from Bloomington and Columbus (and maybe even Indy). But I doubt, I might be wrong, that people from Bloomington would drive to Nashville for a haircut. I sure wouldn't.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I think for a lot of businesses that makes sense, bars being the exception. If Brown County opened up a bar and Monroe and Bartholomew did not, it would be completely packed with people from Bloomington and Columbus (and maybe even Indy). But I doubt, I might be wrong, that people from Bloomington would drive to Nashville for a haircut. I sure wouldn't.
How about if the stylist set up a chair in the bar?

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Some limitations will need placed on some of the businesses

Not only that, but that 1300 was one of the highest new cases count for GA. So they are ignoring the Trump guidelines too?

Not only that, but that 1300 was one of the highest new cases count for GA. So they are ignoring the Trump guidelines too?

That’s where I’m confused. The states reopening are not stating that they have met the criteria listed in the WH Guidelines. They are just moving forward because.

That’s where I’m confused. The states reopening are not stating that they have met the criteria listed in the WH Guidelines. They are just moving forward because.
Yep. They’re just guidelines. States can do whatever they want.

You couldn't pay me to take my family on a cruise now. BUT, i will never forget taking a cruise as a kid and standing on the bow as we rolled in.....it helped there was a nude beach in view (Martinique?). It felt like you discovered a new land.

Vote for idiots, live like idiots.

I don't know what the answer is completely, but something like a quarter of all fatalities because of this virus are in NYC and there is quite a bit of anecdotal information that the subway (which the Democrat mayor and Governor did not shut down) has been one of the largest breeding grounds for the virus. Tell me again about voting for idiots.

Realistically, we have enforced a one size fits all response to the virus on the entire country. In my opinion, this is more of an urban/high population density virus and steps to prevent its spread in NYC should probably look different than they do in Montana.

Nobody wants to have loved ones get sick and possibly die from this, however, I do not believe we can stay locked down like this indefinitely. The idea of staying in was to bend the curve so that our medical facilities would not be overburdened. We appear to have done that in most areas, yet any thought of opening things back up a little bit becomes another screed from one side of the political aisle about wanting to kill people.

Well I guess we shall witness the great experiment. I hope this goes well. I also hope residents in those states, frankly all states, will be accepting of the likely pullback that will occur when cases spike.
For sure. It’ll be interesting.

You couldn't pay me to take my family on a cruise now. BUT, i will never forget taking a cruise as a kid and standing on the bow as we rolled in.....it helped there was a nude beach in view (Martinique?). It felt like you discovered a new land.

Well you got the right name to be an explorer. El Drado, conquerer of the nude beach.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I don't know what the answer is completely, but something like a quarter of all fatalities because of this virus are in NYC and there is quite a bit of anecdotal information that the subway (which the Democrat mayor and Governor did not shut down) has been one of the largest breeding grounds for the virus. Tell me again about voting for idiots.

Realistically, we have enforced a one size fits all response to the virus on the entire country. In my opinion, this is more of an urban/high population density virus and steps to prevent its spread in NYC should probably look different than they do in Montana.

Nobody wants to have loved ones get sick and possibly die from this, however, I do not believe we can stay locked down like this indefinitely. The idea of staying in was to bend the curve so that our medical facilities would not be overburdened. We appear to have done that in most areas, yet any thought of opening things back up a little bit becomes another screed from one side of the political aisle about wanting to kill people.
You need to know two simple facts:
  1. The governor of Georgia a couple weeks ago was astounded to learn about asymptomatic carriers. He’s an idiot.
  2. Georgia cases have an increasing rate, not a decreasing rate.
I’m not among this about politics, I’m making it about dumb v not dumb. Stop whatabouting with NYC. We’re not talking about NYC.

Georgia is clearly ran by an idiot.

I agree.

Speaking of analogies, I read a good one yesterday. Opening things up because distancing is working is like jumping out of an airplane, opening your parachute, then once you've slowed down deciding you don't need the chute anymore.

Nobody I care about lives in Georgia, so if their Governor wants to treat his entire electorate as lab rats... Better them than us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT