ADVERTISEMENT

George Will on fascism

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
George Will has a column today where he says fascism was more a mood than an ideology.

Fascism was entertainment built around rallies — e.g., those at Nuremberg — where crowds were played as passive instruments. Success manipulating the masses fed fascist leaders’ disdain for the led. Hitler described them as feminine, the ultimate fascist disparagement. Imagine the contempt a promiser feels for, say, people gulled by a promise that one nation will pay for a border wall built against it by another nation.

Communism had a revolutionary doctrine; fascism was more a mood than a doctrine. It was a stance of undifferentiated truculence toward the institutions and manners of liberal democracy. “The democrats of [the newspaper] ‘Il Mondo’ want to know our program?” said Mussolini the month he came to power in 1922. “It is to break the bones of the democrats of ‘Il Mondo.’ ”
Will ends with this,

Donald Trump, an envious acolyte of today’s various strongmen, appeals to those in thrall to country-music manliness: “We’re truck-driving, beer-drinking, big-chested Americans too freedom-loving to let any itsy-bitsy virus make us wear masks.” Trump, however, is a faux nationalist who disdains his nation’s golden age of international leadership and institution-building after 1945.

Trumpism, too, is a mood masquerading as a doctrine, an entertainment genre based on contempt for its bellowing audiences. Fascism was and is more interesting.​

I think the idea that Trump populism is a mood is very accurate, and I had never thought of it that way. Trump himself seems to not have strong moral convictions. But he recognized a burning desire by some to pwn the libs. He doesn't particularly like enlightenment, he reallly likes strongmen. He's pretty much captured the anti-modern mood. Mussolini and Hitler were both anti-modern. When Hitler first started, the handful of people who wanted the Kaiser back thought Hitler wanted to return to a Kaiser led Germany. Of course they quickly backed away from Hitler when they saw that wasn't in his plans. But rather he appreciated the days when there were not democratic institutions like a parliament or congress and a single leader could do whatever they wanted.

I think will grew a bit fearful at the end and backed off. no, Trump is decidedly not Hitler. But Mussolini? Franco? Trump would fit right in. One can imagine Trump saying great things about them if they were contemporaries as he does strongmen today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7ae76e-c208-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

George Will has a column today where he says fascism was more a mood than an ideology.

Fascism was entertainment built around rallies — e.g., those at Nuremberg — where crowds were played as passive instruments. Success manipulating the masses fed fascist leaders’ disdain for the led. Hitler described them as feminine, the ultimate fascist disparagement. Imagine the contempt a promiser feels for, say, people gulled by a promise that one nation will pay for a border wall built against it by another nation.

Communism had a revolutionary doctrine; fascism was more a mood than a doctrine. It was a stance of undifferentiated truculence toward the institutions and manners of liberal democracy. “The democrats of [the newspaper] ‘Il Mondo’ want to know our program?” said Mussolini the month he came to power in 1922. “It is to break the bones of the democrats of ‘Il Mondo.’ ”
Will ends with this,

Donald Trump, an envious acolyte of today’s various strongmen, appeals to those in thrall to country-music manliness: “We’re truck-driving, beer-drinking, big-chested Americans too freedom-loving to let any itsy-bitsy virus make us wear masks.” Trump, however, is a faux nationalist who disdains his nation’s golden age of international leadership and institution-building after 1945.

Trumpism, too, is a mood masquerading as a doctrine, an entertainment genre based on contempt for its bellowing audiences. Fascism was and is more interesting.​

I think the idea that Trump populism is a mood is very accurate, and I had never thought of it that way. Trump himself seems to not have strong moral convictions. But he recognized a burning desire by some to pwn the libs. He doesn't particularly like enlightenment, he reallly likes strongmen. He's pretty much captured the anti-modern mood. Mussolini and Hitler were both anti-modern. When Hitler first started, the handful of people who wanted the Kaiser back thought Hitler wanted to return to a Kaiser led Germany. Of course they quickly backed away from Hitler when they saw that wasn't in his plans. But rather he appreciated the days when there were not democratic institutions like a parliament or congress and a single leader could do whatever they wanted.

I think will grew a bit fearful at the end and backed off. no, Trump is decidedly not Hitler. But Mussolini? Franco? Trump would fit right in. One can imagine Trump saying great things about them if they were contemporaries as he does strongmen today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7ae76e-c208-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html
Trump is a populist and he would love to be an authoritarian populist.

I read that in the HT this morning. Yeah, Will chickened out at the end. He was at the goal line, just needed to punch it in, but took a knee instead.

Reactions: MaxCoke

Will ends with this,

People who disagree with a movement always have a tendency to call that movement fascism. I agree that Trumpism is a mood. I’ve argued that here for years as I rejected the notion that Trump has changed the GOP or that there is such a thing as The New GOP in Trump’s image. His influence (in terms of his personal style) has no staying power and will be gone the moment he leaves office. On the other hand, some of his accomplishments, which are mainstream GOP, will be around for a while.

FWIW, I think the BLM movement is much more like GLEICHSCHALTUNG. I’m looking at the furor and violence over over such things as “All lives matter,” “blue lives matter” or charges of defacing public property for painting over BLM painted on public property here. There is no similar rage at BLM.

Fascists usually try to restrict speech, change history and alter access to information

Who are the only people doing that?

Reactions: 76-1
Bullshit. You're just making shit up.

I’ve heard and read “fascism” applied to every major US political movement including, Trumpism, the NRA, both sides of the abortion issue, environmentalism, BLM, GWB, both sides of gay rights, and in and on.

I’ve heard and read “fascism” applied to every major US political movement including, Trumpism, the NRA, both sides of the abortion issue, environmentalism, BLM, GWB, both sides of gay rights, and in and on.
Don't forget the FemiNazis.

His influence (in terms of his personal style) has no staying power and will be gone the moment he leaves office.

SO you think the xenophobes and racists have always been part of the GOP and not brought in by Trump, or they are just going to walk out of the party when Trump leaves?

Ike wasn't a xenophobe, Reagan wasn't, neither Bush was. So it seems likely to me it is part of Trump's GOP and good luck getting them to just turn and walk away.

SO you think the xenophobes and racists have always been part of the GOP and not brought in by Trump, or they are just going to walk out of the party when Trump leaves?

Ike wasn't a xenophobe, Reagan wasn't, neither Bush was. So it seems likely to me it is part of Trump's GOP and good luck getting them to just turn and walk away.

If I remember correctly both Reagan and Bush 1 & 2 were both called racists by many on the left.

That’s their playbook, call republicans racist

Yeah, I do think that. Trump brought in people who were not politically active. Some of those will leave if they don’t have Trump to vote for. Those who stay will find their own reasons to vote for the GOP. And I think your xenophobe comments are bullshit and are in line with “bitter clingers” and “deplorables”. If you think the Democrats doesn’t have its share of such idiots, you’d be wrong.

People who disagree with a movement always have a tendency to call that movement fascism. I agree that Trumpism is a mood. I’ve argued that here for years as I rejected the notion that Trump has changed the GOP or that there is such a thing as The New GOP in Trump’s image. His influence (in terms of his personal style) has no staying power and will be gone the moment he leaves office. On the other hand, some of his accomplishments, which are mainstream GOP, will be around for a while.

FWIW, I think the BLM movement is much more like GLEICHSCHALTUNG. I’m looking at the furor and violence over over such things as “All lives matter,” “blue lives matter” or charges of defacing public property for painting over BLM painted on public property here. There is no similar rage at BLM.
I don't think he will have a permanent affect on the Republican party unless he wins re-election and who knows how long he will reign if that happens. He spoke to Chairman Xi about serving 3 terms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT