ADVERTISEMENT

Gatekeeping & George Santos

About 20 people who escaped west palm to palm for a half hour. I’m sure the friendly town of pb cops questioned them on the way in: “Hello, hello. License and registration please.” “But officer we didn’t do anything.” “So what brings you good folks to Palm Beach today. Little out of the way isn’t it?” “Officer it’s just across the bridge.”

First was funny. This one isn’t. Sorry.
Well I thought it was hilarious, mainly because Jordan's facial expression fits so well with the jealousy narrative. But I respect your dissenting opinion... There is a story out today about a staffer for Herschel's campaign claiming he was groped by a drunken Matt Schlapp

Now since we're talking cringe, this Meidas Touch compilation of cringe worthy moments from many of the usual ultra MAGA suspects, should forever put to rest the notion that far left politicians are remotely close to their far right counterparts in terms of bizarre public displays. This is some major cringe...

Well I thought it was hilarious, mainly because Jordan's facial expression fits so well with the jealousy narrative. But I respect your dissenting opinion... There is a story out today about a staffer for Herschel's campaign claiming he was groped by a drunken Matt Schlapp

Now since we're talking cringe, this Meidas Touch compilation of cringe worthy moments from many of the usual ultra MAGA suspects, should forever put to rest the notion that far left politicians are remotely close to their far right counterparts in terms of bizarre public displays. This is some major cringe...

Aloha's right. It was not funny.

Smerconish discussed Santos this morning and suggested his election was due in part to the death of local media. Local papers were our traditional investigators, and no one on YouTube et al have picked that up in most of America. A free weekly paper in NY did pick up the story, but the big players (TV, NYTimes) didn't find it big enough.

Smerconish discussed Santos this morning and suggested his election was due in part to the death of local media. Local papers were our traditional investigators, and no one on YouTube et al have picked that up in most of America. A free weekly paper in NY did pick up the story, but the big players (TV, NYTimes) didn't find it big enough.
I’m not sure local papers routinely did investigative pieces or did it well.

I’m not sure local papers routinely did investigative pieces or did it well.

I think by local papers he is thinking cities the size of Indianapolis or Louisville, both had papers that had political reporters that did things. I seem to recall both having a lot of stories growing up, we got both because my family would read any story that mentioned high school basketball. A Bloomington or smaller certainly wouldn't cover congressional candidates that way.

The Times views itself more nationally. Around the country now, pretty much everything is Gannett. If the mayor sends them a press release, they print it as news. Otherwise their one reporter doesn't do much of what we used to call news.

We finally gave up on the Bloomington paper. If a shooting happened in town, it would be online in a couple days.

I think by local papers he is thinking cities the size of Indianapolis or Louisville, both had papers that had political reporters that did things. I seem to recall both having a lot of stories growing up, we got both because my family would read any story that mentioned high school basketball. A Bloomington or smaller certainly wouldn't cover congressional candidates that way.

The Times views itself more nationally. Around the country now, pretty much everything is Gannett. If the mayor sends them a press release, they print it as news. Otherwise their one reporter doesn't do much of what we used to call news.

We finally gave up on the Bloomington paper. If a shooting happened in town, it would be online in a couple days.
I didn’t realize that. Indy seems to have a live newspaper. It doesnt?

Frankly, Chicago really doesn’t either. The Tribune and Sun-Times are jokes and have been for 20 years. They look more like circulars you get in the mail with cheap advertising and a story or two.

Frankly, Chicago really doesn’t either. The Tribune and Sun-Times are jokes and have been for 20 years. They look more like circulars you get in the mail with cheap advertising and a story or two.
Yes, Indy has done some good investigative reporting. They are the ones that broke the MSU Nassar story. They also did work on the Zionsville ob Dr who was using his sperm for fertilization.

I cannot get through the paywall, but the Google snippet of an IBJ says The Star had 70 employees in 2019, 285 in 2000 when Gannett bought it. That article references 6 "veteran reporters" quitting at the same time in November 2020.

In Santos' case, someone tipped off the weekly supermarket paper, they probably would have also tipped off daily papers in the area. The guess is the papers packed the resources to really run it down, or maybe they were Republican papers and sat on it? The weekly didn't have the manpower to really investigate, it merely said there were major questions about his background.

Though to be fair, the weekly was a Republican paper, owned by a former GOP House candidate who worked for Bush in the 2000 election. In their endorsement the paper said it wanted to endorse the Republican but could not because he was shady.

I cannot get through the paywall, but the Google snippet of an IBJ says The Star had 70 employees in 2019, 285 in 2000 when Gannett bought it. That article references 6 "veteran reporters" quitting at the same time in November 2020.

In Santos' case, someone tipped off the weekly supermarket paper, they probably would have also tipped off daily papers in the area. The guess is the papers packed the resources to really run it down, or maybe they were Republican papers and sat on it? The weekly didn't have the manpower to really investigate, it merely said there were major questions about his background.

Though to be fair, the weekly was a Republican paper, owned by a former GOP House candidate who worked for Bush in the 2000 election. In their endorsement the paper said it wanted to endorse the Republican but could not because he was shady.
Random iu trivia. Bush’s lawyer in the 2000 election in fla was an IU alum. Bill scherer. Real neat guy. Ponzi scheme litigator. Was featured on American greed

Here's what Zeke mentioned

awful

So just today the GOP in Nassau Co issued a call for Santos to resign...

This comes after more troublesome developments where I think fellow NY Pubs have come to see him as not only a distraction, but also a polarizing figure that threatens their own standing with voters. Nationally the GOP may not universally see him as a PIA, but the voters in NY (particularly Long Island) are upset and his fellow GOP reps see the potential that they will fall victim to the same unrest and seething discontent people feel towards Santos...

For instance Santos claims to have a net worth of $11 MILLION. Yet the address he lists as his residence (his sister's apartment) is currently $40,000 behind in rent payments. She was just in court, hasn't made a rent payment since 2020, and yet just received a $30,000 rent assistance payment within the past 2 weeks.

Not only is it beyond strange that Santos could "loan" his campaign $700,000 and not manage to "loan" his sister the money to save her lease, but he has an additional personal stake. He has moved into that apartment, but still can't manage to help her out with the back rent?

Hoping Grant Lally is correct in his assumption that Santos will go to prison for the felonies involved in his false FEC filings. The campaign expenditures filings revealed yesterday showed an inordinate amount of $199.00 expenditures ($1 below the $200 threshold for receipts) that set off massive alarm bells...

He's a conman, but it looks like he's better at spreading lies than he is at effectively covering his tracks. It's actually pretty amateurish as coverups go...

So just today the GOP in Nassau Co issued a call for Santos to resign...

This comes after more troublesome developments where I think fellow NY Pubs have come to see him as not only a distraction, but also a polarizing figure that threatens their own standing with voters. Nationally the GOP may not universally see him as a PIA, but the voters in NY (particularly Long Island) are upset and his fellow GOP reps see the potential that they will fall victim to the same unrest and seething discontent people feel towards Santos...

For instance Santos claims to have a net worth of $11 MILLION. Yet the address he lists as his residence (his sister's apartment) is currently $40,000 behind in rent payments. She was just in court, hasn't made a rent payment since 2020, and yet just received a $30,000 rent assistance payment within the past 2 weeks.

Not only is it beyond strange that Santos could "loan" his campaign $700,000 and not manage to "loan" his sister the money to save her lease, but he has an additional personal stake. He has moved into that apartment, but still can't manage to help her out with the back rent?

Hoping Grant Lally is correct in his assumption that Santos will go to prison for the felonies involved in his false FEC filings. The campaign expenditures filings revealed yesterday showed an inordinate amount of $199.00 expenditures ($1 below the $200 threshold for receipts) that set off massive alarm bells...

He's a conman, but it looks like he's better at spreading lies than he is at effectively covering his tracks. It's actually pretty amateurish as coverups go...

His days are numbered. Everyone knows the GOP has no patience for con men.

Here's what Zeke mentioned

awful

Those kinds of photos are usually bull crap. He was on video and easy to take one frame of most videos to make the videoed person is doing something no intention of doing. You video any political rally where a politician waved to the crowd and you’re almost certainly able to find frames to turn into pictures which makes it look like he/she is making a Nazi salute, flipping the bird or any number of things the politician wasn’t actually doing. That particular one may be of him moving his hand to or from the Bible for the oath. In his case he seems to have lied about his entire resume, but is there any evidence at all that the brown guy is a white supremacist? I think those types of “got you” attempts deserve no respect.

In his case he seems to have lied about his entire resume, but is there any evidence at all that the brown guy is a white supremacist? I think those types of “got you” attempts deserve no respect.
And, he's already been "got". You can't "got" him anymore than he's already got.

It's better to quit while you're already 30 lengths ahead.

Those kinds of photos are usually bull crap. He was on video and easy to take one frame of most videos to make the videoed person is doing something no intention of doing. You video any political rally where a politician waved to the crowd and you’re almost certainly able to find frames to turn into pictures which makes it look like he/she is making a Nazi salute, flipping the bird or any number of things the politician wasn’t actually doing. That particular one may be of him moving his hand to or from the Bible for the oath. In his case he seems to have lied about his entire resume, but is there any evidence at all that the brown guy is a white supremacist? I think those types of “got you” attempts deserve no respect.
Actually, it was a still from when he voted for McCarthy. His arms were crossed, and he very briefly raised his right hand to signal his vote as he said McCarthy's name. It lasted a fraction of a second, and that was the position his left hand was in (previously tucked under his right elbow) when he raised his right hand. It's extremely unlikely he was making any kind of symbol, much less a white power symbol. Almost certainly, that's just the twisted mess his left hand was in while it was tucked under his elbow, and it remained in that strange position because, besides being an untrustworthy liar, Santos is also just plain awkward.

Actually, it was a still from when he voted for McCarthy. His arms were crossed, and he very briefly raised his right hand to signal his vote as he said McCarthy's name. It lasted a fraction of a second, and that was the position his left hand was in (previously tucked under his right elbow) when he raised his right hand. It's extremely unlikely he was making any kind of symbol, much less a white power symbol. Almost certainly, that's just the twisted mess his left hand was in while it was tucked under his elbow, and it remained in that strange position because, besides being an untrustworthy liar, Santos is also just plain awkward.
Holy Meaningless Hand Gestures, Batman! I read this while on the treadmill, slowed to a walk, crossed my arms for a couple minutes (while watching an episode of the latest season of Jack Ryan) then unfolded my arms and, by God, my hand was in a very similar position. I guess I'm a white supremacist and didn't know it. Either way, these pictures taken from video are always suspect and usually absolute bull crap. People here should be smarter about this. Most of us, not all of us (and I'd like to say they know who they are, but they don't), aren't stupid enough to take these pictures are proof of anything.

Holy Meaningless Hand Gestures, Batman! I read this while on the treadmill, slowed to a walk, crossed my arms for a couple minutes (while watching an episode of the latest season of Jack Ryan) then unfolded my arms and, by God, my hand was in a very similar position. I guess I'm a white supremacist and didn't know it. Either way, these pictures taken from video are always suspect and usually absolute bull crap. People here should be smarter about this. Most of us, not all of us (and I'd like to say they know who they are, but they don't), aren't stupid enough to take these pictures are proof of anything.
The entire political outrage machine is built on taking things out of context. Video stills, strategically edited clips, misleading quotes, etc.

The bill introduced today to punish future congressmen who lied about their background to help get elected is called the...

Stop
ALL
Not
Truthful
Office
Seekers

Bill.

In other words, the SANTOS bill.

Love it!

It appears that Santos funded his campaign with an actual Ponzi scheme, with his direct involvement using an assumed name.

There’s also a picture of him on the House floor giving the white power sign. And no, he wasn’t saying ok or that’s a three.
Omnipotent Zeke strikes again, You know everything about everything right? Except that you voted for a demented old man for president. You know exactly what he was doing and can swear in court to it or just being you again?

Omnipotent Zeke strikes again, You know everything about everything right? Except that you voted for a demented old man for president. You know exactly what he was doing and can swear in court to it or just being you again?
CUT! clear the set.

We've got a movie to film.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT