ADVERTISEMENT

Gentlemen, I Stand on The Precipice

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
In November 2019, I attended a meeting at new client's place of business. A lawsuit had been filed. I was needed.

Had a young, hungry associate attorney with me, who longed to be a social justice warrior, but who wound up addicted to the money at a large defense firm. (I had warned 'em. But as is the norm with young social justice warriors, they ignored me.)

The events at that meeting - and shortly thereafter - started me seriously thinking that I needed to retire from the large defense firm.

Then the world went crazy.

The longer it went on, the more I stayed sane. Even got more sane.

29 days ago, I gave my 30 day notice.

I've been digging a tunnel under the fence, have popped up outside the wire, and am currently running serpentine toward the tree line.
5a6e385e7961b715664ce76abcfbe797.gif

I will pause for one short last conference call in the early afternoon tomorrow.

And then, gentlemen, I will be free. Unemployed. (Likely unemployable.) Capable of inflicting much social damage, unrestrained by any need for decorum. Mind ravaged by over 3 decades of lawing.

Be warned.

There is a small-town-pool-room-schooled smart-ass about to be unleashed in these parts.

And he will be bored and sassy.

200.gif

In November 2019, I attended a meeting at new client's place of business. A lawsuit had been filed. I was needed.

Had a young, hungry associate attorney with me, who longed to be a social justice warrior, but who wound up addicted to the money at a large defense firm. (I had warned 'em. But as is the norm with young social justice warriors, they ignored me.)

The events at that meeting - and shortly thereafter - started me seriously thinking that I needed to retire from the large defense firm.

I've been digging a tunnel under the fence, have popped up outside the wire, and am currently running serpentine toward the tree line.

I will pause for one short last conference call in the early afternoon tomorrow.

And then, gentlemen, I will be free. Unemployed. (Likely unemployable.) Capable of inflicting much social damage, unrestrained by any need for decorum. Mind ravaged by over 3 decades of lawing.

Be warned.

There is a small-town-pool-room-schooled smart-ass about to be unleashed in these parts.

200.gif
Congratulations!!!

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01

Be warned.

200.gif

Be warned.

200.gif
Cool.

Reactions: 76-1

Be warned.

200.gif
Cool. The firm’s loss is the Cooler’s gain.

Be warned.

200.gif
Congrats! (sincere)
Can't wait to read the thousands of threads I imagine you will start now. (not so much)
:D

If Wal*Mart accoster greeter doesn't suit you, we need another part time delivery driver. Doesn't pay for shit, but you don't have to do shit either.

If Wal*Mart accoster greeter doesn't suit you, we need another part time delivery driver. Doesn't pay for shit, but you don't have to do shit either.
I have not been in a WallyWorld since 3/15/20 when shit was hitting the fan big time in South FL. It was a horrific experience as every textbook mouth breathing wal mart creature rolled up in my space. I showered for an hour with a wire brush and bleach. It was a terrifying experience that left me with PTSD. I will never enter a WallyWorld again. I am serious.

Congrats. I can’t imagine staying in a firm until retirement. You’re a stronger man than I. Or insane.

I have not been in a WallyWorld since 3/15/20 when shit was hitting the fan big time in South FL. It was a horrific experience as every textbook mouth breathing wal mart creature rolled up in my space. I showered for an hour with a wire brush and bleach. It was a terrifying experience that left me with PTSD. I will never enter a WallyWorld again. I am serious.
So help me out here, does this story have anything to do with Covid?

Reactions: muubell
Congrats. I can’t imagine staying in a firm until retirement. You’re a stronger man than I. Or insane.
Did he say retied? Or could it be the internal investigation has reached critical mass and both sides have agreed leaving (with dignity intact) is the best course of action?

Too much vagary here though your assumption may certainly be a valid one.

Reactions: UncleMark

Place is hell on earth. Try Meijer if you must enter a big box store, if you're in the Midwest.

So help me out here, does this story have anything to do with Covid?
Everything to do with C19. It was first hitting that area big time and we weren’t sure if it was transmitted via touch, breath or fart. The place was busy. Put the post in that context.

Will be soon. The Meijer in Whitestone and I are buds

Long story short, I had to hit the Rural King in Martinsville after work. Wearing a suit. Walk in and the record skips. A couple locals make me out to be fed and hightail it on out. A few others just stop and stare at me like they’d seen them the Bigfoot. It was the scariest collection of people I’d encountered in one place before. No I did not eat the popcorn.

Target is great. All fancy and new and customers/employees are a million times better than wartmart.

Target is fine too. Was in a Meijer recently.... on west 38th in Indy of all places... and was amazed how clean and pleasant it was. And produce/ deli/ meat selection was terrific. And no need to feel like you need a shower like post-Walmart

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Target is fine too. Was in a Meijer recently.... on west 38th in Indy of all places... and was amazed how clean and pleasant it was. And produce/ deli/ meat selection was terrific. And no need to feel like you need a shower like post-Walmart
Or have a contact high

Be warned.

200.gif
see you soon..!
Congratulations Old Boy........enjoy your Summer..

... we weren’t sure if it was transmitted via touch, breath or fart.
there was no uncertainty in March 2020 as to how it spread. Breathed droplets, airborne aerosols, and virus surviving on surfaces were all implicated and were all verified, though the relative contributions were unclear.

Be warned.

200.gif
Congratulations on your retirement!

Be prepared for the next year or so of having the feeling of uselessness. Then get a McJob for a while and you will eventually learn to enjoy life.

Your biggest decisions will be where to have lunch and/or dinner.

Reactions: 76-1
Congratulations on your retirement!

Be prepared for the next year or so of having the feeling of uselessness. Then get a McJob for a while and you will eventually learn to enjoy life.

Your biggest decisions will be where to have lunch and/or dinner.
You sound like you have experience. I really hope you are enjoying it. I’m still a couple of years away.

Reactions: DANC
Congratulations!! I do have a fishing camp that you and Rockport Zebra could stay in for free down here at Lake Barkley. Hope to see you this fall at the Rock!

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
You sound like you have experience. I really hope you are enjoying it. I’m still a couple of years away.
Nothing like it... it's nice not to have to be somewhere at a certain time. Just don't retire to nothing.... what I mean is to kinda have a plan of what you want to do whether it traveling a lot or volunteering. I retired and started volunteering at places plus we traveled quite a bit. If you haven't taken your dream vacation... take it.

Nothing like it... it's nice not to have to be somewhere at a certain time. Just don't retire to nothing.... what I mean is to kinda have a plan of what you want to do whether it traveling a lot or volunteering. I retired and started volunteering at places plus we traveled quite a bit. If you haven't taken your dream vacation... take it.
I have no idea what mtiotf’s practice is like but for many lawyers I know just getting away from the f*cking phone is usually life-changing

I took early retirement in 2012, sat out a year with an identity crisis, took a meaningless job for a few years, got cancer, had a kidney removed, got a grandchild, and love every minute spending time with her.

So, I'm enjoying it, but it's a process, transitioning from actively working to retirement.

I took early retirement in 2012, sat out a year with an identity crisis, took a meaningless job for a few years, got cancer, had a kidney removed, got a grandchild, and love every minute spending time with her.

So, I'm enjoying it, but it's a process, transitioning from actively working to retirement.

I will not suck at loafing.
Practiced as a teen.

I will not suck at loafing.
Practiced as a teen.
Oh, I'm an expert at loafing. But even that gets boring after a while.

I hope you get along with your wife. You'll be seeing a lot more of each other. My sister is ready to throw her husband out of the house after not quite a year after his retirement.

I also started going to the gym regularly after I got done with chemo. I'm not in great shape or anything, but I feel a helluva lot better than I did even 5 years ago.

I hope you're taking notes.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT