ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

Besides UK and maybe Florida the other schools plays in front of half empty gyms. I watched a lot of the SEC when they are on ESPN and the crowds are not great. In the big ten except for PSU you will play in fornt a big crowds.
Top recruits don't care about how many fans are in the stands. Or how many dusty banners are hanging in the rafters. Or how many conference titles the program has. It's all meaningless.

What they care about is how can that program help THEM get where they want to be...the NBA. DG said this multiple times. Fans fall into the delusion that top players are so fortunate to be able to come to IU (or their favorite school).

The reality is the best players provide more value to the school than the school does for the player. Average players provide probably similar value for what they receive. Below average players obviously provide less value than they receive. So bottom line is schools have to articulate how they're going to fill this void in value to these elite kids. This is the key.

All this fan support, tradition, "we have higher morals" BS is meaningless.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
Top recruits don't care about how many fans are in the stands. Or how many dusty banners are hanging in the rafters. Or how many conference titles the program has. It's all meaningless.

What they care about is how can that program help THEM get where they want to be...the NBA. DG said this multiple times. Fans fall into the delusion that top players are so fortunate to be able to come to IU (or their favorite school).

The reality is the best players provide more value to the school than the school does for the player. Average players provide probably similar value for what they receive. Below average players obviously provide less value than they receive. So bottom line is schools have to articulate how they're going to fill this void in value to these elite kids. This is the key.

Maybe to you but a lot of IU fans care about this sort of thing.

Reactions: IUgradman
Maybe to you but a lot of IU fans care about this sort of thing.
I know they do. No debating that. But top recruits don't. They may tell an IU reporter they do because that's what fans want to hear. They may even tweet about the tradition of a school, or fan base etc because they like the attention.

At the end of the day they don't give a rip about it though. They want to know how that program that they're going to help make millions of dollars is going to reciprocate that value...in terms of their own millions in the NBA. As they should be. Everything else is vanity.

If a top recruit thinks Valpo will prepare them for the NBA better than Duke, IU, UK, etc they're going to choose Valpo 99 times out of 100. And any reasonable person couldn't blame them.

Reactions: IU40IU

Lots of delusional posters in this thread who fail to see your well made point. Garland didn’t care about any of that stuff even if his dad did and he was more interested in UCLA than iu. Crean assumed it was enough to just be Indiana even as most recruits told him no. Miller just learned the name isn’t what fans think it is and hopefully he doesn’t fall into the same trap

Lots of delusional posters in this thread who fail to see your well made point. Garland didn’t care about any of that stuff even if his dad did and he was more interested in UCLA than iu. Crean assumed it was enough to just be Indiana even as most recruits told him no. Miller just learned the name isn’t what fans think it is and hopefully he doesn’t fall into the same trap
Absolutely. Fans who think it's not important to get kids to the NBA are living in an alternate reality. It's not enough for us to have a player drafted every 2-3 years like it was under Crean. We need 2-3 players drafted every year. That's what the elite programs are doing. Every recruit you get drafted pays dividends long after they're gone.

Sales 101: find ways to help your clients and ask what you can do to help them, not what they can do to help you. You do this and the rest will take care of itself.

Recruiting 101: find ways to help the players achieve THEIR goals and it will ultimately benefit the program's goals long term. The best example of this is Calipari. He understood this long term mindset early on and he's been reaping the dividends of it now for years.

I know they do. No debating that. But top recruits don't. They may tell an IU reporter they do because that's what fans want to hear. They may even tweet about the tradition of a school, or fan base etc because they like the attention.

At the end of the day they don't give a rip about it though. They want to know how that program that they're going to help make millions of dollars is going to reciprocate that value...in terms of their own millions in the NBA. As they should be. Everything else is vanity.

If a top recruit thinks Valpo will prepare them for the NBA better than Duke, IU, UK, etc they're going to choose Valpo 99 times out of 100. And any reasonable person couldn't blame them.
That is why I don't like recruiting a lot of one and done players who only concern is the NBA. I want to find players like Miles Bridges who turned down millions because he liked being a college kid and was not worried about the NBA. I want players who want to be at IU and not use it as a farm team. That is why I would rather IU build there program like UW or Villanova than a Duke or UK. haut more than that would not be my kind of team. For me it is more than just win at any cost.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
Sour grapes really are beneath what I would expect from your program. Doubt you speak for all IU fans. I'd hope at least some folks are glad that an Indiana native is doing well as our HC.

You are literally one of the worst power five programs in the history of college basketball. I've never seen more pathetic shit talking in my life.

Well, yeah, top recruits don't care about that rah-rah college stuff except for the part where Karl-Anthony Towns apparently still regrets that Kentucky didn't go undefeated in 2014-15.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/karl-anthony-towns-kentucky-basketball-38-1-season-undefeated

Absolutely. Fans who think it's not important to get kids to the NBA are living in an alternate reality. It's not enough for us to have a player drafted every 2-3 years like it was under Crean. We need 2-3 players drafted every year. That's what the elite programs are doing. Every recruit you get drafted pays dividends long after they're gone.

Sales 101: find ways to help your clients and ask what you can do to help them, not what they can do to help you. You do this and the rest will take care of itself.

Recruiting 101: find ways to help the players achieve THEIR goals and it will ultimately benefit the program's goals long term. The best example of this is Calipari. He understood this long term mindset early on and he's been reaping the dividends of it now for years.
While I agree with you on the recipe for fielding national championship contenders every year, I also want Archie to rebuild this with a focus on the state of Indiana first. That will allow him to create a clear identity for the program, and likely bring in two or three four and five star recruits from Indiana each year. THEN we can add some one and done guys that fit our system. The difference between us and everyone else is Indiana high school basketball.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
LOL. "power five." You're ignorant about MCBB history anyway--our history is not great, not awful, just one of a bunch of mediocre large-conference programs--but using a football term to proclaim your ignorance is overkill. It's not "shit talking" to actually care about facts.

You guys got the recruit, good on you, congrats. Your fans have done their gloating, enjoy the moment. I get that we can’t ask you to act like you’ve been there before because you haven’t. Why in god’s name are you still here? Do you expect IU fans on this board to make any concessions as to the level of Vandy’s futility? Quit wasting your time here, spend it bolstering the fan base that will grow exponentially as you displace traditional powers & has been blue bloods like IU & return the Commodores to their former glory, whatever that means.

Goodbye & good luck.

Many a supposed basketball expert here missed on the Garland commitment and were doubly wrong when UCLA was revealed as the runner up. Pardon them while they digitally flail in fury.
does it really matter who was the runner up. It's not like the top 2 advance and that's it. He chose to stay close to his mom and that's that. If it was a basketball only choice no way in hell he chooses Vandy.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU Hardcore
That is why I don't like recruiting a lot of one and done players who only concern is the NBA. I want to find players like Miles Bridges who turned down millions because he liked being a college kid and was not worried about the NBA. I want players who want to be at IU and not use it as a farm team. That is why I would rather IU build there program like UW or Villanova than a Duke or UK. haut more than that would not be my kind of team. For me it is more than just win at any cost.
How do you know Bridges is going to be a 2 year player when he's a junior in HS? You don't. You recruit the best players you can get and you replace them if they leave. And Bridges didn't come back because he loves MSU's tradition more than millions of dollars. He came back because he didn't like his draft grade in last year's deep draft so he came back to improve that.

While I agree with you on the recipe for fielding national championship contenders every year, I also want Archie to rebuild this with a focus on the state of Indiana first. That will allow him to create a clear identity for the program, and likely bring in two or three four and five star recruits from Indiana each year. THEN we can add some one and done guys that fit our system. The difference between us and everyone else is Indiana high school basketball.
Agree to disagree on this. I'd rather have a slightly better kid from California than a less talented kid from Bloomington. I think where kids are from is irrelevant. Plenty of hard working, high character kids everywhere.

That being said, if we're the program we all want to be our biggest advantage will be in Indiana so I'd hope we get more Indiana kids than anywhere. But bottom line is I'd take a 5 star from New Mexico over a 4 star from Bedford. All day every day. And I realize some will disagree and I'm certainly ok with that.

So you'd rather be like Wisconsin who hasn't won a title since 1941 than Duke or UK who combine for 3 titles and 8-10 Final Fours in the last 10 years? That's different than not wanting to be "win at all cost". What you're saying is winning is irrelevant. This is the participation trophy culture we live in today.

So you'd rather be like Wisconsin who hasn't won a title since 1941 than Duke or UK who combine for 3 titles and 8-10 Final Fours in the last 10 years? That's different than not wanting to be "win at all cost". What you're saying is winning is irrelevant. This is the participation trophy culture we live in today.

How many of the national champions in the past couple decades have started a one and done? Isn't it just a few? I don't think it's proven to be the best recipe for winning a title.

This is not true. Try to stay away from absolutes. Recruits do care about people watching the games and traditions. It’s not the only factor, but recruits do care about it.

Last edited:
does it really matter who was the runner up. It's not like the top 2 advance and that's it. He chose to stay close to his mom and that's that. If it was a basketball only choice no way in hell he chooses Vandy.
If it was a basketball only choice he chooses UCLA.

How many of the national champions in the past couple decades have started a one and done? Isn't it just a few? I don't think it's proven to be the best recipe for winning a title.
How many had a 5 star recruit? Most of them.

Agree to disagree on this. I'd rather have a slightly better kid from California than a less talented kid from Bloomington. I think where kids are from is irrelevant. Plenty of hard working, high character kids everywhere.

That being said, if we're the program we all want to be our biggest advantage will be in Indiana so I'd hope we get more Indiana kids than anywhere. But bottom line is I'd take a 5 star from New Mexico over a 4 star from Bedford. All day every day. And I realize some will disagree and I'm certainly ok with that.
I agree with you. My point is that the state of Indiana needs a lot of attention to repair the pipeline right now, and the longer it is neglected the more dust collects on our ancient banners.

They got to a championship game and another final four. I did not say I didn't want to win but I want to build our roster like they do instead of having mainly one and done players. Look at UK this year because I feel that they will struggle more than they usually do. They did not bring back any real experience players this year and have to play all freshmen.

Not really, the point still stands that from a program perspective Indiana>Vanderbilt. I had said that the pull of home could override that though and it did. That and the relationship the kid apparently had with the Drew family going back over a decade.

For Indiana, Romeo is the bigger fish in that class in more ways than one. However, missing out on either if the guys is not going to destroy the program, I just think it will delay Miller a bit in getting the program where I think he can get it. After 3 tries, I think that the AD at IU finally stumbled on a guy who is going to fit the culture of Indiana (school and state) and that is going to pay dividends down the road. The class we are already bringing in next year is a solid foundation and we are in on several very good 2019 kids. Vanderbilt got their day in the sun yesterday but I would not trade anything with them relating to expected long term success of the program. I think we have the better coach, better recruiting base, better program, etc.
That last sentence..... Those aren’t thoughts. Those are facts.

I get pride in your program's history but I don't get this.

Consensus is that Vanderbilt's present roster is stronger than Indiana's and we're still in good shape for two more top recruits. I'm ignorant of your roster and sincerely would like to know why you think there will be more competition for playing time at IU next year. Not smack, genuine curiosity.

Regardless, if you'd prefer not to have Garland and I would, I'm glad it's a win-win.
I appreciate most of this post but don't get this point. Suppose we land either Shittu or Langford, not both. Considering our existing roster that team might be a 2 or 3 seed, maybe even a 1. A 2 or 3 seed will usually make the Sweet Sixteen and sometimes the Final Four, the epitome of the national spotlight.

I'm really not here to talk smack at all. I just don't get the logic that obviously Indiana basketball is going to be a really big deal in 2018-19 and Vanderbilt isn't. Sincere question: What am I missing? Monster recruiting class? Coaching brilliance counting for 10 wins a season?

I don't get the 20k threshold--isn't Assembly Hall's capacity like 17k? Does it regularly reach 20? (Sincere question) What Big Ten gyms hold 20K?

Memorial Gym holds about 14k. As Duke shows, you don't have to have 20,000 fans to have an atmosphere kids want to play in.

I'm just not getting "Woo! We can hold 3000 more fans!" I'm sure the media attention on IU is like 100x greater because Nashville has a ton of other sports and the South is football country.

Appreciate the support for our program. I don't know our home record offhand but the home/road split is pretty large and we've had our share of big wins. Maybe you're just unlucky picking games to go to.
You “don’t get” a lot. Maybe you should head back to your board. TIA

They got to a championship game and another final four. I did not say I didn't want to win but I want to build our roster like they do instead of having mainly one and done players. Look at UK this year because I feel that they will struggle more than they usually do. They did not bring back any real experience players this year and have to play all freshmen.
Why would you want to build the roster that way? It's proven to be less effective. Far less effective. Do you not think Wisconsin would recruit like UK if they could? Of course they would.

Your hatred for UK is more powerful than your desire for IU to be elite again. It's sad.

Why would you want to build the roster that way? It's proven to be less effective. Far less effective. Do you not think Wisconsin would recruit like UK if they could? Of course they would.

Your hatred for UK is more powerful than your desire for IU to be elite again. It's sad.
I guess the difference is that I want to enjoy the journey and not just the destination. We all want to win but some of us wants to win with players we get to know. No I don't think a lot of programs want to recruit like UK or Duke because of what comes with recruiting those type of players. Not all top players ask for things but a lot of them do and I would want us to stay away from those players. To me you build your program around strong 4 star players who will stay 3 to 4 years and then bring n one or two 5 star players. If you don't like teams like that then that is your prerogative but I prefer building a team with players that want to be at IU.

Give me 3 four stars and a 5 star recruit every year and IU is elite again. this is how UNC does it, but our kids can go to legit classes.

I guess the difference is that I want to enjoy the journey and not just the destination. We all want to win but some of us wants to win with players we get to know. No I don't think a lot of programs want to recruit like UK or Duke because of what comes with recruiting those type of players. Not all top players ask for things but a lot of them do and I would want us to stay away from those players. To me you build your program around strong 4 star players who will stay 3 to 4 years and then bring n one or two 5 star players. If you don't like teams like that then that is your prerogative but I prefer building a team with players that want to be at IU.
If you can't "get to know" players over an entire 40 game season I guess I don't know what to tell you. Each season is a long journey which is fun to watch.

I just don't understand why you would deny a clearly better method that has been established. It's very clear it's more successful than the "Wisconsin way". You remind me of the person who thinks the Internet is a fad. Ok man...whatever you think.

If you can't "get to know" players over an entire 40 game season I guess I don't know what to tell you. Each season is a long journey which is fun to watch.

I just don't understand why you would deny a clearly better method that has been established. It's very clear it's more successful than the "Wisconsin way". You remind me of the person who thinks the Internet is a fad. Ok man...whatever you think.
Of course you don't get it because all you care is the final destination and the win at any cost attitude like UK fans. If that is what you like more power to you but the IU fans I know don't think that way.

No one said to build around 3 star players but there are plenty of 4 and low 5 star players who will stick around for 3 or 4 years. Just look at UNC where they built there team around guys between 20-60 in the country who stayed mainly for 4 years.

Of course you don't get it because all you care is the final destination and the win at any cost attitude like UK fans. If that is what you like more power to you but the IU fans I know don't think that way.

No one said to build around 3 star players but there are plenty of 4 and low 5 star players who will stick around for 3 or 4 years. Just look at UNC where they built there team around guys between 20-60 in the country who stayed mainly for 4 years.
So you don't want Romeo and didn't want Garland? Or is that different because they're actually interested in IU?

So you don't want Romeo and didn't want Garland? Or is that different because they're actually interested in IU?
I said one or two would be alright but I don't want to be like UK this year when all they are playing are freshmen. I take most of the roster with players ranked like Hunter who was a top 50 player to go along with one or two players like Romeo. I will take players like Davis and Brooks in next years class who will be top 50 players in their class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT