ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

Well, lets compare the views as of 11:23 am:

[stuff]

I don't know where DG is going, but I do know which fanbase is more interested in his decision , and more appreciative of his talents.

Shorter: Indiana University is a flagship university of a state with 7M people. Vanderbilt isn't a state university.

Who's disputing this? It's not like playing in front of 14K or 17K is that big a difference. And obviously Darius Garland isn't sitting around counting page views, which is why he's apparently going to Vanderbilt and not Kentucky or UNC.

I think it's a great honor to beat out a program like Indiana for a prized recruit.

Can't tell if sincere but I agree. Have a good friend, IU PhD, big fan of the team although he ended up getting hired in the belly of the beast (Lexington). No reason to wish them ill.

But all the fans of traditional powers need to learn to be a bit less arrogant. It's not like 17 year olds sit around watching old videos of 1980s Final Fours to pass the time. (Just me at that age.)

Reactions: fpeaugh
Wow. All those Vandy writers (and also Jordan Wells to a smaller degree on Scout) who everyone has been criticizing, were actually right on.

Looks like Rabjohns and Peegs were wrong again. Those guys just continue to defy the odds. Simply guessing should give you a 50% chance. I can't remember the last time they were correct. It's pitiful.
You could almost hear Rabjohns yell “As expected” as soon as Vanderbilt was uttered.

News: Jerry Meyer/247 changed his Darius Garland pick to Vandy this morning. Worse news: Jerry Meyer switched his ROMEO LANGFORD PICK to Vandy @ about 1:00 today.

That really is amazing given how Meyer was bucking the trend in holding firm on Garland until it became obvious to everyone. I'm guessing here that Meyer doesn't know anything and is just trying to overcome being embarrassed over his Garland miss.

Reactions: pumpfake
Can't tell if sincere but I agree. Have a good friend, IU PhD, big fan of the team although he ended up getting hired in the belly of the beast (Lexington). No reason to wish them ill.

But all the fans of traditional powers need to learn to be a bit less arrogant. It's not like 17 year olds sit around watching old videos of 1980s Final Fours to pass the time. (Just me at that age.)

It's quite sincere. They're a great program at a very strong university. They've stayed relatively clean compared to their peer group, especially compared to the ethical cesspools on the other side of the Ohio. It's a storied program.

You could almost hear Rabjohns yell “As expected” as soon as Vanderbilt was uttered.
Haha absolutely. That guy is clueless and arrogant. He always acts like he's more plugged in than anyone else even though he has about the worst track record imaginable. Just hedges everything he says and never makes a real prediction.

If he would've chosen IU..."As expected...let's just say I didn't drive to Nashville 3 times in 2-3 weeks to take in the sights"

Reactions: IUgradman
I commend DG for having the courage to stick with his hometown program, especially since it is a bottom feeder SEC program.

Sour grapes really are beneath what I would expect from your program. Doubt you speak for all IU fans. I'd hope at least some folks are glad that an Indiana native is doing well as our HC.

That really is amazing given how Meyer was bucking the trend in holding firm on Garland until it became obvious to everyone. I'm guessing here that Meyer doesn't know anything and is just trying to overcome being embarrassed over his Garland miss.

There's a lot of talk that Langford's choice is highly correlated with Garland' s. We'll see how it pans out.

There's a lot of talk that Langford's choice is highly correlated with Garland' s. We'll see how it pans out.

Go back to gloating on your own board. But nobody would see it if you did.

You landed a big fish. No need to rub salt in the wound, prick.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Sour grapes really are beneath what I would expect from your program. Doubt you speak for all IU fans. I'd hope at least some folks are glad that an Indiana native is doing well as our HC.

Unlike all of the classy Vandy fans over here for what purpose? I responded to a troll appropriately. & I stand by my statement. You can go join the other 10 Vandy fans in rejoicing, thank you.

For those who enjoy looking at basketball history, Vandy actually had higher attendance than IU for several years in the 70s. This is one of the reasons why some say that Vandy has untapped potential. For some slice of time in the 70s it was top-5 in the nation in attendance.
IU was sold out, but Assembly Hall was under construction. IU has led Vandy , by far, in attendance once the Hall was finished.

Do you realize that sales tax is a really minor part of local government financing? In Indiana, local government is predominately paid for by property taxes.

Yes and no shit. Property tax makes it all run. B-town has no issues with fiscal solvency...

I don't see why people are acting like Vandy has such a good fan base. More IU people were congratulating Garland on signing with Vanderbilt than Vandy fans. His twitter followers have decreased dramatically. Most Vanderbilt fans can't even name their rotation. The ones that do seem to be absolute d-bags.

I can assure you if he had committed to IU, his numbers would go up by the thousands.

Good luck to Garland....

Yeah, losing to an in-state rival from a smaller conference is pretty embarrassing.

It is. And now you know what it feels like. Have fun, Darius! You have work to do. Thankfully, Drew and his 20-17 record will propel Vandy to incredible new heights!

Go back to gloating on your own board. But nobody would see it if you did.

You landed a big fish. No need to rub salt in the wound, prick.

My post was purely informational. You can agree or disagree, but I'm just parroting people who are more informed than me, saying that Garland's decision influences Langford's. Who knows? Shrug.

Aren't you guys supposed to act like being in on top recruits is old hat for you? Win some, lose some?

I don't see why people are acting like Vandy has such a good fan base. More IU people were congratulating Garland on signing with Vanderbilt than Vandy fans. His twitter followers have decreased dramatically. Most Vanderbilt fans can't even name their rotation. The ones that do seem to be absolute d-bags.

I can assure you if he had committed to IU, his numbers would go up by the thousands.

IU is the flagship institution of the state of Indiana, but there's no state of Vanderbilt. VU's fan base is smaller. So what? Plenty of smallish private schools have won at high levels. This isn't football.

For some kids it comes down to size of fan base. They go to Kentucky or North Carolina, maybe a few others. For others, Indiana is probably a nice fit with a somewhat smaller fanbase that's not neurotic like Kentucky's. You don't cower in fear of Kentucky because of Twitter numbers. Why would you assume those matter to Darius?

Last edited:
My post was purely informational. You can agree or disagree, but I'm just parroting people who are more informed than me, saying that Garland's decision influences Langford's. Who knows? Shrug.

Aren't you guys supposed to act like being in on top recruits is old hat for you? Win some, lose some?

IU is the flagship institution of the state of Indiana, but there's no state of Vanderbilt. VU's fan base is smaller. So what? Plenty of smallish private schools have won at high levels. This isn't football.

For some kids it comes down to size of fan base. They go to Kentucky or North Carolina, maybe a few others. For others, Indiana is probably a nice fit with a somewhat smaller fanbase that's not neurotic like Kentucky's. You don't cower in fear of Kentucky because of Twitter numbers. Why would you assume those matter to Darius?
You don't have to cower because you guys don't have high expectations because you know you guys are going to lose. The football team and basketball teams both know they will usually lose. You might make the tournament in basketball here and there but nothing to make people believe you have untapped potential like some posters on here do.

Reactions: VU65
Good luck to Darius and congrats on having the recruiting process behind you. As for the more negative Vandy posters trolling this IU board, you can take solace in knowing only the packed house (all 5,000 of them) were there to see the Vandy loss in person. Darius will no doubt help you slay similar giants in the future.

Reactions: IUgradman
As for the more negative Vandy posters trolling this IU board, you can take solace in knowing only the packed house (all 5,000 of them) were there to see the Vandy loss in person. Darius will no doubt help you slay similar giants in the future.

Belmont's gym only seats a little over 5000 and it appears to have sold out, or close. I don't get your point. Belmont is 115th in the Ken Pomeroys so it's a somewhat bad loss, but it's one November road loss against a medium-bad opponent. If we improve as much as we did over the course of last season, we'll make the NCAA again as about an 8 seed. If we don't improve, we won't.

But all the fans of traditional powers need to learn to be a bit less arrogant.

You're talking to the wrong fan base. Frankly, no traditional power has gone through more pain than Indiana Basketball has. Your comment should be saved for the day K retires at Duke.

Good luck to Vandy. Enjoy the new level of success.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
It looks like Garland went to Vandy so that he could have the ball in his hands on day one without competition for the role. I personally don’t care to have a guy like that anyway.

The only things I'd say are:

- Vanderbilt is not a "bottom feeder" program. Historically they're a top four/five SEC program that has never made it that far in post-season. That's a very impolite thing to say. It also doesn't make you look great if you lost out to a "bottom feeder".

- Vanderbilt basketball has traditionally been a very important part of the Nashville scene. The arrival of pro sports hurt them a lot as did many years of having an uninteresting coach who won some but put people off.

- "Untapped Potential" is over-rated. You need a coach and a few good recruiting classes. Florida was nothing in basketball until the mid 90's. Who ever heard of Gonzaga until that time? It helps to have a history of winning more than you lose and a solid fanbase.

- Garland said he chose VU because of his relationship with Bryce Drew. A relationship alone wouldn't have been enough if DG didn't see potential. And potential alone would've gotten nothing apart from the relationship. They came together in this case.

Good luck this season. Hope to see both schools battling deep into post-season in coming years

I think it's a great honor to beat out a program like Indiana for a prized recruit.
Vandy is a great school with a fantastic environment. Is it a sports school, not really. However, the fan base is loyal and being a Vandy fan is a cool thing around Nashville. Will he ever get the national spotlight, nope. Will he play in front of 20,000 in the SEC, heavens sake no. Well, only at U.K. Will he be remembered in 5 years, not really. Will he still make it in the NBA and eat moms home cooking for another year, yep. Going away isn't for everyone. I am a loyal IU alumn, but we live in Nashville and go to Vandy games often. Tickets are usually around 10 bucks, dinner, then music on broadway. It's a fun time, even though it's often a loss. It's a tough recruiting loss, but we will be fine. Go Hoosiers!

Sign of the times. Overheard a few younger IU fans earlier this morning ask this question. When was the last time a 5 star player announced and lost twitter followers? Had to laugh. PS....I love it.

On number one, that is a period that includes recovering from Sampson and the wreckage from that. In that time frame we also have a couple second weekend appearances in the NCAA tournament and 2 Big 10 titles.

To put that in context Vanderbilt has won 3 regular season titles in the entire history of the program.

There is not any court related area where Vanderbilt stacks up against what IU has. That includes our coach who took his mid major program to the Elite 8 and Sweet 16.

Again, if he picks Vanderbilt it is because of the home town thing. They are the one oddball out of all of the programs he seriously looked at. And the hometown appeal may get him there, but Indiana is superior to Vanderbilt in every on court measurement, even in the midst of what we would call a dry spell Indiana has accomplished more since Knight left than Vanderbilt has in their program's existence.
I'd say those 7 points are just blowing in the wind now

I'd say those 7 points are just blowing in the wind now

Not really, the point still stands that from a program perspective Indiana>Vanderbilt. I had said that the pull of home could override that though and it did. That and the relationship the kid apparently had with the Drew family going back over a decade.

For Indiana, Romeo is the bigger fish in that class in more ways than one. However, missing out on either if the guys is not going to destroy the program, I just think it will delay Miller a bit in getting the program where I think he can get it. After 3 tries, I think that the AD at IU finally stumbled on a guy who is going to fit the culture of Indiana (school and state) and that is going to pay dividends down the road. The class we are already bringing in next year is a solid foundation and we are in on several very good 2019 kids. Vanderbilt got their day in the sun yesterday but I would not trade anything with them relating to expected long term success of the program. I think we have the better coach, better recruiting base, better program, etc.

Vandy is a great school with a fantastic environment. Is it a sports school, not really. However, the fan base is loyal and being a Vandy fan is a cool thing around Nashville. Will he ever get the national spotlight, nope. Will he play in front of 20,000 in the SEC, heavens sake no. Well, only at U.K. Will he be remembered in 5 years, not really. Will he still make it in the NBA and eat moms home cooking for another year, yep. Going away isn't for everyone. I am a loyal IU alumn, but we live in Nashville and go to Vandy games often. Tickets are usually around 10 bucks, dinner, then music on broadway. It's a fun time, even though it's often a loss. It's a tough recruiting loss, but we will be fine. Go Hoosiers!
Besides UK and maybe Florida the other schools plays in front of half empty gyms. I watched a lot of the SEC when they are on ESPN and the crowds are not great. In the big ten except for PSU you will play in fornt a big crowds.

Reactions: namnik
Not really, the point still stands that from a program perspective Indiana>Vanderbilt. I had said that the pull of home could override that though and it did. That and the relationship the kid apparently had with the Drew family going back over a decade.

For Indiana, Romeo is the bigger fish in that class in more ways than one. However, missing out on either if the guys is not going to destroy the program, I just think it will delay Miller a bit in getting the program where I think he can get it. After 3 tries, I think that the AD at IU finally stumbled on a guy who is going to fit the culture of Indiana (school and state) and that is going to pay dividends down the road. The class we are already bringing in next year is a solid foundation and we are in on several very good 2019 kids. Vanderbilt got their day in the sun yesterday but I would not trade anything with them relating to expected long term success of the program. I think we have the better coach, better recruiting base, better program, etc.
Yes I am not worried at all about the future of the program. Good solid class coming in. They will probably find a solid replacement for Garland if they want too. At this point in there careers Drew and Archie are pretty even. Drew just came from a smaller mid level college than Archie. The point made by the poster that IU is a better program was from the immediate perspective and that Darius should sign with IU for one year. Vandy is no worse that IU in recent years. Long term potential is not even close IU wins. Darius is not long term.

Besides UK and maybe Florida the other schools plays in front of half empty gyms. I watched a lot of the SEC when they are on ESPN and the crowds are not great. In the big ten except for PSU you will play in fornt a big crowds.

I was in Ann Arbor for two years and really was surprised at how little attention the "other sports" like basketball receive there. They still get attention because U-M draws attention so maybe Crisler sells out, idk, but most of what people talk about in January or February is Michigan football.

Will he ever get the national spotlight, nope.

I appreciate most of this post but don't get this point. Suppose we land either Shittu or Langford, not both. Considering our existing roster that team might be a 2 or 3 seed, maybe even a 1. A 2 or 3 seed will usually make the Sweet Sixteen and sometimes the Final Four, the epitome of the national spotlight.

I'm really not here to talk smack at all. I just don't get the logic that obviously Indiana basketball is going to be a really big deal in 2018-19 and Vanderbilt isn't. Sincere question: What am I missing? Monster recruiting class? Coaching brilliance counting for 10 wins a season?

Will he play in front of 20,000 in the SEC, heavens sake no. Well, only at U.K.

I don't get the 20k threshold--isn't Assembly Hall's capacity like 17k? Does it regularly reach 20? (Sincere question) What Big Ten gyms hold 20K?

Memorial Gym holds about 14k. As Duke shows, you don't have to have 20,000 fans to have an atmosphere kids want to play in.

I'm just not getting "Woo! We can hold 3000 more fans!" I'm sure the media attention on IU is like 100x greater because Nashville has a ton of other sports and the South is football country.

Will he still make it in the NBA and eat moms home cooking for another year, yep. Going away isn't for everyone. I am a loyal IU alumn, but we live in Nashville and go to Vandy games often. Tickets are usually around 10 bucks, dinner, then music on broadway. It's a fun time, even though it's often a loss. It's a tough recruiting loss, but we will be fine. Go Hoosiers!

Appreciate the support for our program. I don't know our home record offhand but the home/road split is pretty large and we've had our share of big wins. Maybe you're just unlucky picking games to go to.

It looks like Garland went to Vandy so that he could have the ball in his hands on day one without competition for the role. I personally don’t care to have a guy like that anyway.

I get pride in your program's history but I don't get this.

Consensus is that Vanderbilt's present roster is stronger than Indiana's and we're still in good shape for two more top recruits. I'm ignorant of your roster and sincerely would like to know why you think there will be more competition for playing time at IU next year. Not smack, genuine curiosity.

Regardless, if you'd prefer not to have Garland and I would, I'm glad it's a win-win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT