ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia decision

I won't be surprised, but I am not expecting anything either. It make sense to come to IU. Playing with TJD and two familiar AAU teammates is a positive. I don't usually buy into the package deal recruiting but Galloway and Leal both came.

Garcia can come to IU and we will be an instant top 10 team next year. Phinisee, Durham, Smith, TJD and Garcia would be a very good team with better depth than we have this year. The Garcia - TJD front court may be the highest rated combination we have ever had. Now that we see that TJD's ranking was legitimate, adding Garcia would have to satisfy the doubters and make IU once again a college of choice.

Romeo was big. TJD made getting a top recruit more common. Garcia would show that Archie can bring the talent to compete for Final 4 runs. It would be a happy day for most and a disturbing day for those I have ignored.

Losing Garcia isn't the end of the world. I still like our depth for next year. It just won't have that extra push to get us deep into the tournament with a good seeding.
This just in from the "Things We'd Like To Hear" Department... "It's time to be selfish!", said Mr Garcia to the local news media the morning before his son, Dawson, announces, "It's Indiana!"

This just in from the "Things We'd Like To Hear" Department... "It's time to be selfish!", said Mr Garcia to the local news media the morning before his son, Dawson, announces, "It's Indiana!"
I didn't understand what that expression meant about being selfish from Brook's dad unless he is accepting money. I don't see how being one of many recruits and without a starting role guaranteed would be selfish. I could see how committing to IU where you would be an instant starter might be considered selfish. I believe it would be smart and not selfish, but I'm probably missing something.

Disappointing, but no hard feelings. Playing time is looking harder and harder to come by at IU.
An elite big would have been good for next year because I don't think TJD is back for a third year. We need a big this year or we will be really inexperienced in the '21 front court

Reactions: kkott
I don't think TJD is back for a third year.

I think he may have the skills to go this year, however, my gut tells me he'll be back next year...and he'll look a bit more like his dad physically...and that'll be his two year college career.

There are still kids that won't sign until spring. Plus could be a really JC center out there yet.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it... playing time, right!
With TJD, Brunk, and Thompson, he would be playing 15-20 minutes a game. At Marquette, he will play 30 minutes a game and will be the centerpiece of the team.

I didn't understand what that expression meant about being selfish from Brook's dad unless he is accepting money. I don't see how being one of many recruits and without a starting role guaranteed would be selfish. I could see how committing to IU where you would be an instant starter might be considered selfish. I believe it would be smart and not selfish, but I'm probably missing something.
I think he meant (and actually believed) that they were being selfish because Brooks was depriving IU of his immense talents to go to Kentucky where he would be an instant star and end up being a lottery pick after one season. We'll see what happens to him...it would be funny if he ended up transferring to get playing time.

It meant he shouldn't go where his friends are, or where he wanted, but to go to where he had the best chance (in his father's mind) of getting to the pros. KB was a very strong IU lean until his dad saw $$$ signs. Plus, Cal bullshitted him and told him he would be playing the 3.

I really don't care. fwiw - I would never want to run with anyone that said something like that. Let the selfish go to UK, where they belong.

There are still kids that won't sign until spring. Plus could be a really JC center out there yet.
My cousin played juco/D2 and coached for 4 years in juco. He told me there is a reason a kid is in juco. Don't count on a big with the right tools to help us.

BTW, Bonzi Wells' son is currently a freshman at VU. He is talented but was nearly kicked off the team for his attitude. Todd Franklin won't put up with bad attitudes. Bonzi was at a game that Franklin was ripping into his son and sent him to the end of the bench. Bonzi said to Franklin after the game. "I see you trying to make a man out of him." Franklin said, "Trying."

It meant he shouldn't go where his friends are, or where he wanted, but to go to where he had the best chance (in his father's mind) of getting to the pros. KB was a very strong IU lean until his dad saw $$$ signs. Plus, Cal bullshitted him and told him he would be playing the 3.

I really don't care. fwiw - I would never want to run with anyone that said something like that. Let the selfish go to UK, where they belong.
It is never good for the kid to have a parent quoted saying anything publicly other than they are proud of them and want them to do what is best for them. It looks bad when the parent wants some of the spotlight. Brooks could be a good kid, but daddy made him look like a punk.

I feel bad for kids making a decision when another player states they both want to play together. Maybe they both do, or maybe they don't want to hurt their feelings.

With TJD, Brunk, and Thompson, he would be playing 15-20 minutes a game. At Marquette, he will play 30 minutes a game and will be the centerpiece of the team.

He would start at IU as a freshman and play 25 min/game. Too late now.

Marquette: do you want to be the most important player on the team?
Indiana: do you want to contribute to an established team?
Maybe he wants to play for the team that just beat us a few weeks ago?? Just sayin........I am hopeful but we aint proved nothing yet.

I took it to mean, selfish in the way that his son was going to play where dad thought the best fit for his son where be....the direction his dad steered him, out of state, in the case of Brooks.

Practice game played in secret- they won.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT