ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia decision

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
sounds like he's going to wait until the last day (Wed Nov 20) to announce. Have heard nothing regarding recent MU visit or if Archie got in front of him one last time before, as was mentioned last week.

Supposedly Archie MAY visit on Sunday. I think it's Marquette but no one really knows here. This is a very tight lipped recruitment.

Supposedly Archie MAY visit on Sunday. I think it's Marquette but no one really knows here. This is a very tight lipped recruitment.
hope CAM does...dead period ended yesterday. Yes the Garcia camp has run a very tight lipped operation. Who knows...maybe he still hasn't made a final decision yet. Would be encouraging if CAM does get one last face to face this weekend. If they've already made a decision in favor of MU, don't see why they'd put CAM through the motions of traveling up to MN one last time. You can say 'no' over the phone and save the effort of traveling up to MSP.

hope CAM does...dead period ended yesterday. Yes the Garcia camp has run a very tight lipped operation. Who knows...maybe he still hasn't made a final decision yet. Would be encouraging if CAM does get one last face to face this weekend. If they've already made a decision in favor of MU, don't see why they'd put CAM through the motions of traveling up to MN one last time. You can say 'no' over the phone and save the effort of traveling up to MSP.

I could see it either way. Maybe he doesn't go because Dawson has already told him it's IU. Or maybe it's Marquette but they're willing to give Archie one last listen like the Zellers did with Roy. Who knows but I just don't think Archie has the personality to close a recruitment like this. He doesn't have a resume to make up for it either. But if by chance we do land him I see a top 10 team next season.

I could see it either way. Maybe he doesn't go because Dawson has already told him it's IU. Or maybe it's Marquette but they're willing to give Archie one last listen like the Zellers did with Roy. Who knows but I just don't think Archie has the personality to close a recruitment like this. He doesn't have a resume to make up for it either. But if by chance we do land him I see a top 10 team next season.
Right now it's all about the resume, when IU's winning it recruits itself.

That is as long as you don't clog the prospects toilet.

I don't really see Wojo having a better coaching resume than CAM. He's only been to the tourney twice in 5 yrs and went one-and-out both times. Maybe he plays the Duke thing for all it's worth. never saw anyone better at slapping the floor on defense.

Just have to accept that it's not 1987 and kids today do not see IU bball the same way as us old guys.

I think we would be at least a top 20 team. I'll be excited if we land him.

Last edited:
Right now it's all about the resume, when IU's winning it recruits itself.

That is as long as you don't clog the prospects toilet.
Haha, Archie will need to lay off Nick’s strombolis before the visit. Which recruit did Crean do that to?

I don't really see Wojo having a better coaching resume than CAM. He's only been to the tourney twice in 5 yrs and went one-and-out both times. Maybe he plays the Duke thing for all it's worth. never saw anyone better at slapping the floor on defense.

Just have to accept that it's not 1987 and kids today do not see IU bball the same way as us old guys.

He doesn't but they've been on him the longest and are closer to home.

Great point! I bet it’s true that Archie and Ostrom are doing an in-home on Sunday to try and close the deal.

Great point! I bet it’s true that Archie and Ostrom are doing an in-home on Sunday to try and close the deal.
thx...little bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I try to apply logic to everything in my life. So if CAM gets the in house visit, I would think it means that, at the very least, no final decision against IU has been made. Let's see if the visit happens, I've not seen anything in the press about it, just message board chatter.

I get what you are saying but how many players did we get in the past from Minn? Wasn't Luke Jiminez (sp) from Minn. If he was, I can't really think of any others so saying it's not 87 and kids today don't look at IU the same is really comparing apples to oranges. The fact we are in his final 2 or 3 is quite amazing to me considering geography and just the opposite of you, I think it says a lot still about the IU brand.

I get what you are saying but how many players did we get in the past from Minn? Wasn't Luke Jiminez (sp) from Minn. If he was, I can't really think of any others so saying it's not 87 and kids today don't look at IU the same is really comparing apples to oranges. The fact we are in his final 2 or 3 is quite amazing to me considering geography and just the opposite of you, I think it says a lot still about the IU brand.

Race Thompson.

Reactions: GJHaggard
valid point. I've been in sales my entire career so I get stuck in one mindset- there is one winner, and everyone else loses. Moral victories never pay the bills. But long term, it is a good sign for the program. 2021 class has some big targets.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
If IU loses out on Garcia then oh well. You either want to play for the Hoosiers or don’t. Get tough kids and coach them up. Lock down the state for the best recruits. Guards almost always win the big games.

Race Thompson

Reactions: GJHaggard
Archie and Ostrum are in Minny today for an in home visit. But Wojo and Penny are expected too. I'll be very surprised if we win this one but here's hoping.

Did Knight really recruit anyone from MN? The current coaching staff very much has....so not sure the point you are trying to make. Our lead recruiter is from there now. It's similar to why the football team is having success recruiting Florida. As long as Archie keeps getting the 2-3 best from in state and adds a few high motor kids from around the country, we'll be back in the top 10 in no time.

Did Knight really recruit anyone from MN? The current coaching staff very much has....so not sure the point you are trying to make. Our lead recruiter is from there now. It's similar to why the football team is having success recruiting Florida. As long as Archie keeps getting the 2-3 best from in state and adds a few high motor kids from around the country, we'll be back in the top 10 in no time.

I was responding to CBH and his assertion of "Just have to accept that it's not 1987 and kids today do not see IU bball the same way as us old guys."

My point was that in 1987 we did not have recruits coming from Minnesota no matter how they viewed IU bball.

I was responding to CBH and his assertion of "Just have to accept that it's not 1987 and kids today do not see IU bball the same way as us old guys."

My point was that in 1987 we did not have recruits coming from Minnesota no matter how they viewed IU bball.
wasn't their a kid from MN on the 87 team, Todd Meir or something like that?

doesn't have the personality to close a recruitment like this? Like a 5 star recruitment like TJD or Romeo, or a high 4 star like Hunter? And yet you leave open the possibility with your last sentence. Careful you don't bust your balls on that fence rail you're straddling!

doesn't have the personality to close a recruitment like this? Like a 5 star recruitment like TJD or Romeo, or a high 4 star like Hunter? And yet you leave open the possibility with your last sentence. Careful you don't bust your balls on that fence rail you're straddling!

Trayce was an Indiana kid and Matta was on his way out when we landed Jerome. I'll always bet on Archie for any Indiana kid but I'll always bet against him on any top 50 out of state kid. At least until we make a deep run or two.

Reactions: SeaNap

Haters gonna hate.

Trayce was an Indiana kid and Matta was on his way out when we landed Jerome. I'll always bet on Archie for any Indiana kid but I'll always bet against him on any top 50 out of state kid. At least until we make a deep run or two.

Archie and Holtmann were hired the same year, so OSU had the same opportunity/issues, and I think Hunter was a top 50 kid.

This has a Marquette feel. They’ve been on him the longest.
This site makes me laugh. If IU has been recruiting a player for a long time but he hasn't committed yet that is viewed as a negative for IU and he won't choose them. If another school has been recruiting a player longer than IU it is a positive for that school and he'll choose them over IU.

IU has a good chance with most thinking it's between IU and Marquette. He's said good things about IU and its fanbase. Maybe that will be enough, maybe not. We'll know in 2 days.

This thing is going down to the wire. If he had made his mind up this thing would be done already. I think IU has a great shot as his buddy’s are on him. This one isn’t over.

Archie and Holtmann were hired the same year, so OSU had the same opportunity/issues, and I think Hunter was a top 50 kid.

He was close but not top 50. And Holtmann was hired like 3 months after Archie. Archie had already been on Jerome for a while at Dayton.

This just looks like a terrible decision. Wojo could very well be fired. But I'm not surprised. We never really had a chance here.

ADVERTISEMENT