ADVERTISEMENT

Garcia decision

The one thing they are not is "expert". Make a prediction less than 48hr before he announces? All that means is one of them watched some kind of sign and jumped on it and the rest of the lemmings followed suit.

Those guys are nearly worthless. Why would anyone care what they say at this point when he is announcing Wednesday? I hope they don't get paid for their "predictions".

The one thing they are not is "expert". Make a prediction less than 48hr before he announces? All that means is one of them watched some kind of sign and jumped on it and the rest of the lemmings followed suit.

Those guys are nearly worthless. Why would anyone care what they say at this point when he is announcing Wednesday? I hope they don't get paid for their "predictions".

I've said all along that they shouldn't be allowed to change your pick less than a week before the announcement. Otherwise it's worthless.

Reactions: IULouie
Ehhh, Meyer has been wrong before. We will see soon enough.
True, except it sounds like he's made his decision. It seems likely it's been leaked.

“It was a long hard process…I’ve thought a lot about it, but I’m happy that I’ve made my decision and I’m looking forward to the future and what it holds.” He told 247Sports.

IU cannot go into 2020 with only 2 players over 6'8", one being a senior. It puts them right back in the same situation they were in last year.
If they don't recruit a big, and Brunk gets hurt, TJD is the only center the rest of the season and Smith goes back to the 4 to help Thompson. Can't do that.
Garcia or bust or something else that still includes landing a big guy for 2020 who will be there for at least 2 seasons.

Reactions: justjames
Archie Miller tonight:

"We're not done yet. Signing period is not done yet".

Reactions: kkott
Transfer?

IU cannot go into 2020 with only 2 players over 6'8", one being a senior. It puts them right back in the same situation they were in last year.
If they don't recruit a big, and Brunk gets hurt, TJD is the only center the rest of the season and Smith goes back to the 4 to help Thompson. Can't do that.
Garcia or bust or something else that still includes landing a big guy for 2020 who will be there for at least 2 seasons.

"If he had made his mind up this thing would be done already".

Yes. If he had made up his mind, it would be done

Pffttt... I think there are legit reasons to be critical of Archie. IMHO, recruiting ain't one of 'em! He committed to a sound strategy and has executed it quite well!

I disagree. Last years class had some misses and was ranked outside the top 30. This years class lacks an elite player and will most likely be outside the top 15 (assuming Garcia signs with Marquette) We don’t have enough talent to compete for titles, which is the goal. His recruiting has been good, but not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier

I’m not that worried about next year. I think it will catch up to us in 2021.

Last edited:
Good chance TJD stays. With Brunk, TJD and Race they can hold things down inside.

It's also possible, if they do not land Garcia, they can add a grad transfer with size. The important thing is they have three quality players to rotate inside. It does make the next class of bigs that much more important.

True, except it sounds like he's made his decision. It seems likely it's been leaked.

“It was a long hard process…I’ve thought a lot about it, but I’m happy that I’ve made my decision and I’m looking forward to the future and what it holds.” He told 247Sports.

Just to clarify,that was a bit of a misstatement that DG went to great lengths to clarify last night. He was saying he had made the decision when to announce,not that he had actually made the decision on which school. Rabby says the family will sit down on Tues night and come to a decision...

Just to clarify,that was a bit of a misstatement that DG went to great lengths to clarify last night. He was saying he had made the decision when to announce,not that he had actually made the decision on which school. Rabby says the family will sit down on Tues night and come to a decision...
Thanks for that. Now you've gone and gotten my hopes up so I'll be disappointed all over again if he doesn't choose IU.

:p

IU is the best fit for Garcia if he thinks through his decision logically. Go IU!

I agree with this...It's a just add water opportunity for the kid on a major stage with a heckuva nucleus in place. He'd be a great fit here.

Reactions: mike41703
Garcia looks like he has a lot of potential, and he seems like a solid dude. That said, I don’t care where he goes. I want to watch players that want to be at IU. I would need all my fingers and toes and then some to list all the apathetic players we have had just in the last decade. Romeo is included on that list. I don’t know if I have the guts to watch that brand of basketball much longer. I feel the same way about Lander. Go to Michigan. I want committed players with heart and work ethic. I want thirteen Al Durhams. If we don’t win a national championship then so be it.

Last edited:
Meyer already put in his pick for Marquette. This one's over.

If you are going by the "experts" it's over. Keep in mind these experts have no issue at all making a quick change as an announcement is happening. My guess is most of these experts sit in their basement... i mean their office day and night trying to come up with a logical guess, which is all it is.

You may have noticed there was only one prediction for Garcia for most of this year. With just a couple days to go these so called experts start tossing out their guesses. We are to believe Garcia and his family have kept things to themselves all year but now in the last couple days they are sharing information? Nope.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are paying an "expert" for their inside scoop on recruiting information you are wasting your money. Tomorrow when it happens everyone will have access to the same information within seconds of the announcement. It's not worth paying for this information.

Last edited:
I remember the Jared Jeffries recruitment. The Duke pundits said Jeffries to Duke no doubt! When he announced for IU there was total shock in Duke land..

Reactions: ufo33 and kkott
I disagree. Last years class had some misses and was ranked outside the top 30. This years class lacks an elite player and will most likely be outside the top 15 (assuming Garcia signs with Marquette) We don’t have enough talent to compete for titles, which is the goal. His recruiting has been good, but not great.

Last year's class included a 5* and another top IN player. It was ranked low because it only consisted of 2 players, but I think the quality of players was fine. Next year I questioned taking both Leal and Galloway, because they seemed overlapping in terms of skills/position, where we do have a need for a big or 2 and possibly a PG. Garcia would be the "elite" piece, so that's a big hole to fill if we don't get him, but if we did, I think that's another good class.

But, I think the quality of players CAM has brought in has been solid. We likely will need more talent to compete for titles, but it will be far easier to get that talent if we start winning and making the tourney consistently and I think he has us on the path to do that with the players he's recruiting.

Last year's class included a 5* and another top IN player. It was ranked low because it only consisted of 2 players, but I think the quality of players was fine. Next year I questioned taking both Leal and Galloway, because they seemed overlapping in terms of skills/position, where we do have a need for a big or 2 and possibly a PG. Garcia would be the "elite" piece, so that's a big hole to fill if we don't get him, but if we did, I think that's another good class.

But, I think the quality of players CAM has brought in has been solid. We likely will need more talent to compete for titles, but it will be far easier to get that talent if we start winning and making the tourney consistently and I think he has us on the path to do that with the players he's recruiting.

Per usual, I wasn’t clear on my first response to you. I was pushing back on your notion that you can’t be critical of Archie’s recruiting. I agree with most of what you wrote. Hopefully, the “experts” are wrong and we land Garcia tomorrow.

Per usual, I wasn’t clear on my first response to you. I was pushing back on your notion that you can’t be critical of Archie’s recruiting. I agree with most of what you wrote. Hopefully, the “experts” are wrong and we land Garcia tomorrow.

There are always going to be misses, but imo, he's gotten the "most important" recruit in each of the last 2 years in TJD and RL. Would you rather have had KB or TJD? I know, no reason we couldn't have gotten both, but when you have the big boys chasing these kids, that's tougher until we show we are a big boy again. Could our recruiting have been even better? Sure, but I think it's good enough for where we are and is certainly good enough to get us into the tourney consistently, imo.

Plus, I'm just tired of being so shorthanded up front. To me, we should always have 4-5 "bigs" who can defend the post, and this year is the first time in a LONG time we've had that.
Our main Big Man from last year DeRon is still partially injured and on limited minutes. TJD, Brunk, and Race are huge additions to this year's team.

I noticed Marquette already has 2 forwards coming in. Not that Garcia would have trouble finding a spot.

A starting lineup of Phinese, Durham, Smith, Garcia, and TJD would be top rated, and will give us the best chance to make a deep run. Not to mention all of the talent coming off the bench. A guy can dream!

I noticed Marquette already has 2 forwards coming in. Not that Garcia would have trouble finding a spot.

A starting lineup of Phinese, Durham, Smith, Garcia, and TJD would be top rated, and will give us the best chance to make a deep run. Not to mention all of the talent coming off the bench. A guy can dream!

How about Minny...do they have forwards coming in?

Not all the time...But a lot of times..
It's all about distance...
You think if TJD lived outside of Atlanta instead of Greenwood. And going to Btown a bunch during his high school year's..He's a Hoosier..
Not a chance..
My hopes aren't high..
But I sure would love it ..
Wesley/ Lander / Furst...
Two of these three would be huge !
Go Hoosiers !!

Archie and Ostrum are in Minny today for an in home visit. But Wojo and Penny are expected too. I'll be very surprised if we win this one but here's hoping.
I won't be surprised, but I am not expecting anything either. It make sense to come to IU. Playing with TJD and two familiar AAU teammates is a positive. I don't usually buy into the package deal recruiting but Galloway and Leal both came.

Garcia can come to IU and we will be an instant top 10 team next year. Phinisee, Durham, Smith, TJD and Garcia would be a very good team with better depth than we have this year. The Garcia - TJD front court may be the highest rated combination we have ever had. Now that we see that TJD's ranking was legitimate, adding Garcia would have to satisfy the doubters and make IU once again a college of choice.

Romeo was big. TJD made getting a top recruit more common. Garcia would show that Archie can bring the talent to compete for Final 4 runs. It would be a happy day for most and a disturbing day for those I have ignored.

Losing Garcia isn't the end of the world. I still like our depth for next year. It just won't have that extra push to get us deep into the tournament with a good seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT