ADVERTISEMENT

Future of NIL?

I believe what we will see is a series of one year contracts. A good player with a good year will demand more money and his current school will have to bid against every other school for his services.
The player is less likely to graduate, even if they play four years, as not all credits will transfer. That may prove to not make a difference as I suspect that some per cent of graduated players did not learn the material anyway. The ex athlete with or without a degree may have the same level of knowledge and chance of success in the business world.
I am not smart enough to have a solution and many may not want a solution.

players still only get one transfer with immediate eligibility. So it’s not like players are going to bounce around every year. Plus, in a few years, players will initially commit with a better idea of NIL, which will negate some of the year to year bidding wars, which for all the pearl clutching have been fairly isolated incidents.

Reactions: bawlmer and brianiu
I didnt.start NIL. It wasn't my idea. Now players have agents on college campuses.
And a good lawyer. I’d rather a kid be represented. Don’t act like some universities have a kids best interest. Been exploiting kids for years. At least now a kid has some leverage.

players still only get one transfer with immediate eligibility. So it’s not like players are going to bounce around every year. Plus, in a few years, players will initially commit with a better idea of NIL, which will negate some of the year to year bidding wars, which for all the pearl clutching have been fairly isolated incidents.
Thanks. Did not know the one time rule.
Also schools should haved worked many of the bugs out of how to do NIL deals with players over the first 2-3 years.

To those who do not find this that serious I do respect your view. But as a senior citizen who has loved college sports I am appalled by this kind of greed and horrible judgement. Pandora's box is opened, and college basketball will never be the same. Some badly mis-lead do-gooders and media guys looking for a story decided that these poor teen age college students receiving $ 100,000 educations were being mis-treated because they did all the work and got nothing back. Horse Puckey. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to play and it could be viewed those with pro talents were getting the education needed to go on just like the guy next to them in a classroom studying to be an accountant. Consider the kid being paid a couple hundred grand a year for college sports and he graduates, can't make the pros, takes his C average degree and is now searching for a job at a fraction of that amount.

The NCAA sat on their worthless butt's and let this happen. It is not too late, and that same organization could end this farce now before it goes any farther. Call it off, take the heat, media condemnation, and fight the barrage of lawsuits to follow and restore some kind of common sense to college sports. If not, it is only a matter of a short time that the rich will be dominant and the others just be the others. Incidentally, where are the University presidents in this mess who also sat on the learned backsides and offered no concern?
I’m still upset the Mop Lady is gone.

Could the NCAA possibly handle NIL worse than they did?

From a very reliable source, TJD wants $850k to stay. They are working on it.

So the last couple yrs have been because of covid , guys moving every year? That would make at least some sense . Is the rule about graduation rates of players still part of things too?

You may be correct. I do remember a poster who told the forum “from a reliable source “ Brad Stevens was our next coach.
Some how the bar will be set for $ vs skill level. Just like MLB and the NFL set the level. A star pitcher or QB gets xx and so that is now the going rate for the next guy to sign.
Maybe the TJDs of the world are worth 800 K.

Interesting to have a player making 1M and the coach making only a little more.
I wonder what it does to the players attitude when he walks into a classroom and the teacher is making 75K.

What is it going to do to the attitudes of the regular Joe's that are on the team? Granted there are huge differences in Pro sports but they are all getting pd what would be large amounts of money to everyday people.

You may be correct. I do remember a poster who told the forum “from a reliable source “ Brad Stevens was our next coach.
Some how the bar will be set for $ vs skill level. Just like MLB and the NFL set the level. A star pitcher or QB gets xx and so that is now the going rate for the next guy to sign.
Maybe the TJDs of the world are worth 800 K.

Interesting to have a player making 1M and the coach making only a little more.
I wonder what it does to the players attitude when he walks into a classroom and the teacher is making 75K.
Lord you know nothin about salaries huh.

woody makes 3.5 mil. No actual professor makes less than 6 figures. Oh and they won’t be walking into that many classes soon, so don’t worry about the “student” aspect.

Let the market decide what’s fair market. If someone pays it then it is. If they don’t then it’s not.

Yep. We can also let the free market decide the speed limit. If no one dies at 90 mph, then that's the new speed limit.

Yep. We can also let the free market decide the speed limit. If no one dies at 90 mph, then that's the new speed limit.
That’s not what free market means. This is chapter 1 of economics 101. Free market capitalism is the reason we’re not living in log cabins struggling to survive like most of human history. It’s the best economic system that this planet has ever seen. This is just an extension of that.

and how's that "non compete clause" only one transfer with immediate eligibility going to hold up to a court challenge, when a player can show another school is offering them 6 figures more, or seven figures more, than their current school, which sitting out a yr would void?

things that going to court over in the past weren't worth it, now will be.

and i'd think that could possibly affect more than just the 1 free transfer only rule.

Yeh it sucks that the NIL may keep players from turning pro and playing in college longer.

and how's that "non compete clause" only one transfer with immediate eligibility going to hold up to a court challenge, when a player can show another school is offering them 6 figures more, or seven figures more, than their current school, which sitting out a yr would void?

things that going to court over in the past weren't worth it, now will be.

and i'd think that could possibly affect more than just the 1 free transfer only rule.

Well, if a player went to a court showing a school was offering them six or seven figures, that would be a huge NCAA violation considering schools can't have anything to do with NIL deals.

You should probably know what your talking about before you bring hypothetical like this up.

Well, if a player went to a court showing a school was offering them six or seven figures, that would be a huge NCAA violation considering schools can't have anything to do with NIL deals.

You should probably know what your talking about before you bring hypothetical like this up.
Not according to the courts. It states that any state rule overrides the NCAA. That little nugget is what’s making states revisit and change NIL laws. Read the article posted above. The NCAA has really bungled this thing up. I’m waiting for the feds to step in.

Not according to the courts. It states that any state rule overrides the NCAA. That little nugget is what’s making states revisit and change NIL laws. Read the article posted above. The NCAA has really bungled this thing up. I’m waiting for the feds to step in.
So you're saying that states are changing their laws to all the schools to offer NIL deals directly or at least get involved?

I hadn't heard that. Which states are doing that?

He would have had more leverage if he had entered the portal. Perhaps, he qualifies as a grad transfer by now, and that's his leverage.

Lol remember when you spent a couple days telling us TJD was going to enter the portal?

By the way, you guys find a PG yet?
I sent a PU guy into a frenzy by asking that question on Facebook. He went on a rant about how PU doesn’t pay players. Yadda yadda yadda. I said of course. The alumni and businesses do. I said when we look up we see banners. When they look up they see a stick. 🤣

Reactions: B1G_Fan

the first rule of NIL, is that there are no rules.

you can parse words all you want, but that is essentially the reality of it.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Nope, sorry, but they were not. How much Bob knew & how often it happened was another story, but IU was not “absolutely clean”, at least in the early 90’s.
He knew. It wasn’t crazy stuff. Players had “jobs”. They got special treatment just about everywhere.

All he is doing is verbalizing what happens behind the scenes.
College athletics may well become a series of one year deals.
That's OK with me if the schools are permitted to publicize the financial details after the big-baby prima donna fails to deliver the results he used to support his financial demands.

If he, as as adult, demands he is worth $X because he is going to deliver Y results next season, he should have to withstand the criticism after he fails to deliver.

He knew. It wasn’t crazy stuff. Players had “jobs”. They got special treatment just about everywhere.
Those examples are peanuts. There is no valid way to compare peanuts from the 1970s and 1980s to multimillion dollar NIL contracts from 2021 and 2022.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Those examples are peanuts. There is no valid way to compare peanuts from the 1970s and 1980s to multimillion dollar NIL contracts from 2021 and 2022.
Back then they wouldn’t have been. The NCAA actually had power at that time. It’s still examples and he wasn’t all clean like everyone says. I laugh every time I hear people say that. I grew up in Bloomington and my sister dated a player on that 87 team. She lived in Jackson heights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT