ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Rules Question

aajohn2000

All-American
Apr 12, 2012
North Carolina
I found this online and if reading it literally, it would appear all players may transfer "once" without sitting out a year. Is that it? No other stipulations at the conference level? For example, I know the SEC was talking about not allowing players to transfer between conference schools but perhaps that was just being discussed? With NIL, these players have a chance to make pay dirt twice. Of course in the open market, the player can leverage existing NIL deals with current school when other schools come calling for the transfer offer. All of this for lack of a better word is very "interesting". That said here is what I found online for current NCAA rules relative to transferring. Can anyone add more clarity / depth to what else this may entail from a "rules" perspective? Thanks.

As far as I understand, you have one free transfer as an undergrad where, regardless of destination, you are immediately eligible. Thereafter, if you transfer again you must sit out a year unless you have graduated and are transferring with one year remaining as a grad transfer. So, theoretically, someone would be able to transfer twice without ever sitting out a year if they play their cards right.

I don't have my head wrapped around this but yeah, that's my limited understanding. They can Tx once without sitting. A second transfer requires the year of sitting...unless they graduate and then they cal play the grad transfer card and play again immediately. Anyone else have a different understanding?

Makes you wonder what is up with Kopp. If he isn't getting his degree yet, then his options may be very limited (ie he'll be at IU next year)....??? Because I can see his minutes/starts declining sharply in Bloomington next year.

Decoursy was on Coyle's podcast yesterday and said that the biggest mistake CMW made this year was sticking with "a couple starters" too long in the season who weren't producing. Stew is moving on to other things TBD...but we have not heard boo about Kopp.

I don't have my head wrapped around this but yeah, that's my limited understanding. They can Tx once without sitting. A second transfer requires the year of sitting...unless they graduate and then they cal play the grad transfer card and play again immediately. Anyone else have a different understanding?

Makes you wonder what is up with Kopp. If he isn't getting his degree yet, then his options may be very limited (ie he'll be at IU next year)....??? Because I can see his minutes/starts declining sharply in Bloomington next year.

Decoursy was on Coyle's podcast yesterday and said that the biggest mistake CMW made this year was sticking with "a couple starters" too long in the season who weren't producing. Stew is moving on to other things TBD...but we have not heard boo about Kopp.
Hasn’t Koop already said he will be at IU next year? I thought I read that on HSN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT