ADVERTISEMENT

Future of NIL?

Pryght

Junior
Nov 24, 2005
While NIL deals no doubt affect whether a player returns, this is the first explicit request I have heard from a player. Interesting precedent may be set here. I'm also curious to see which schools will offer. Wong's shitty agent has a lot to learn about optics.

Last edited:
thumb_drgrayfang-so-it-begins-43346908.png

I mentioned this in another post last week regarding the ill effects of NIL....specifically, I used the phrase "Checkbook envy". And that's exactly what's going on here, IMHO. Wong just watched Pack get a huge NIL deal to come to Miami. Now Wong wants his payout. Tip of the iceberg. This goes nowhere but down from here.

Jeanie's out of the bottle, and she ain't coming back.

(got REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it" in my head right now....)

How will these guys ever accumulate the credits to graduate, since degree requirements and courses accepted via transfer vary from school to school?
My opinion is that the universities will just change internal rules to accommodate the incoming players. Special courses, testing out after “groomed” by a tutor, etc. I have never felt there was a great deal of honesty within the universities, though the examples of NC and the fake football classes, Kentucky basketball, Kansas support of Bill Self, Arizona support of Archie Miller’s brother, etc. are hopefully a smaller percentage.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Like I said months ago. The term student athlete will no longer apply.
F*** it. Let’s start negotiating future NIL deals with high school recruits with contracts to stay at the same school, or pay it all back. Maybe leave an option to go free agent for your senior year if you stay in school. And let’s get trade deals in there too. While we’re at it, any total NIL deal that’s at least equal to 4x tuition, you don’t get a scholarship. You’re not really a “student” anyways.

F*** it. Let’s start negotiating future NIL deals with high school recruits with contracts to stay at the same school, or pay it all back. Maybe leave an option to go free agent for your senior year if you stay in school. And let’s get trade deals in there too. While we’re at it, any total NIL deal that’s at least equal to 4x tuition, you don’t get a scholarship. You’re not really a “student” anyways.
What do you think aau, MVD, IMG etc is? You realize Romeo’s dad got money to build an Aau team with his son, right?

What do you think aau, MVD, IMG etc is? You realize Romeo’s dad got money to build an Aau team with his son, right?
Different issue. Im not talking above shady recruiting and side hustles. I’m talking about straight up, legally binding contracts that guarantee money paid to a player.

Whenever Packs deal was announced you could see this coming, do you blame Wong? This is just business
Blame the agent... It's one thing to ask for more, it's another to issue an ultimatum with a threat of leaving... Defining moment here. If both remain in Miami, watch for fireworks and minute counting / touches. On the other hand it may challenge the lesser NIL players to play better.

Different issue. Im not talking above shady recruiting and side hustles. I’m talking about straight up, legally binding contracts that guarantee money paid to a player.
My understanding is that you can't tie the NIL deal to performance or the school. When Race and TJD signed their deals this spring, that didn't obligate them to come back to IU.

Even if you could, the market is driving it the other way.

My understanding is that you can't tie the NIL deal to performance or the school. When Race and TJD signed their deals this spring, that didn't obligate them to come back to IU.

Even if you could, the market is driving it the other way.
My suggestion was to make it so it can be tied to the school. I’m fine with the players making money. I’m saying if they want to be treated like pros, let’s treat them like pros.

Shady recruiting? Side hustles? The AAU sponsorship is legit and is done by thousands. I guess every AAU team/sponsors are shady. 🤦🏻

While NIL deals no doubt affect whether a player returns, this is the first explicit request I have heard from a player. Interesting precedent may be set here. I'm also curious to see which schools will offer. Wong's shitty agent has a lot to learn about optics.

This is what happens when they pay a kid 800k to transfer there

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Whatever that means. You act like what Romeos dad and adidas did was shady when every shoe company offers those programs to worthy candidates. Is every business 100% clean? Let’s not sit atop our Hoosier high horse. Trust me when I say IU was never sparkly clean even under Knight.
I believe IU was absolutely clean under Knight. He probably would have won 5-6 titles otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
To those who do not find this that serious I do respect your view. But as a senior citizen who has loved college sports I am appalled by this kind of greed and horrible judgement. Pandora's box is opened, and college basketball will never be the same. Some badly mis-lead do-gooders and media guys looking for a story decided that these poor teen age college students receiving $ 100,000 educations were being mis-treated because they did all the work and got nothing back. Horse Puckey. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to play and it could be viewed those with pro talents were getting the education needed to go on just like the guy next to them in a classroom studying to be an accountant. Consider the kid being paid a couple hundred grand a year for college sports and he graduates, can't make the pros, takes his C average degree and is now searching for a job at a fraction of that amount.

The NCAA sat on their worthless butt's and let this happen. It is not too late, and that same organization could end this farce now before it goes any farther. Call it off, take the heat, media condemnation, and fight the barrage of lawsuits to follow and restore some kind of common sense to college sports. If not, it is only a matter of a short time that the rich will be dominant and the others just be the others. Incidentally, where are the University presidents in this mess who also sat on the learned backsides and offered no concern?

Can’t blame the kid or his agent for wanting fair market pay in this environment.

I believe IU was absolutely clean under Knight. He probably would have won 5-6 titles otherwise.
They were not as clean as people like to imagine. “Summer jobs”. 😬 they weren’t getting envelopes of money but….I grew up in Bloomington and my sister dated and hung out with players.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Whatever that means. You act like what Romeos dad and adidas did was shady when every shoe company offers those programs to worthy candidates. Is every business 100% clean? Let’s not sit atop our Hoosier high horse. Trust me when I say IU was never sparkly clean even under Knight.
I don’t give a shit what Romeo’s dad got. Yes, I was replying to a post that mentioned Romeo and his family, but my response was in general terms. There’s all sorts of unsavory shit that goes on in AAU. There’s all sorts of unsavory shit that goes on in high school programs regarding players and their families.

I don’t give a shit what Romeo’s dad got. Yes, I was replying to a post that mentioned Romeo and his family, but my response was in general terms. There’s all sorts of unsavory shit that goes on in AAU. There’s all sorts of unsavory shit that goes on in high school programs regarding players and their families.
Unsavory sh!t happens. It’s alway happened. Will continue to happen. NIL just brings it out more in the open. It’s actually harder to get away with the shady stuff with todays viral media. The sad part is these kids have been taken advantage of by “rules” that self serve administrators who have turned a blind eye to these supposed unsavories. They use these unsavories to justify the means. If these kids can get theirs so be it. You only live once. The smart ones will take full advantage.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Create a minor league or expand the G League and let kids who don't want to go to college play there. A free college education is worth at least 200k. I'd rather see lesser talented student athletes play for their school and their scholarship than to see universities haggle over compensation for these kids. I'm not saying the kids don't deserve $$, I just have no interest seeing it in the college game. Ultimately it's going to ruin the game. I have zero interest in a mini version of the NBA, I'd prefer to watch basketball.

The game is basically screwed now and you can see that coaches are done with the portal and this NIL nonsense. It's soon going to be like football where basically 1 of maybe 10 to 15 schools will win every year and the others will go to whatever crappy bowl a sponsor is willing to support.

Reactions: INwheels
To those who do not find this that serious I do respect your view. But as a senior citizen who has loved college sports I am appalled by this kind of greed and horrible judgement. Pandora's box is opened, and college basketball will never be the same. Some badly mis-lead do-gooders and media guys looking for a story decided that these poor teen age college students receiving $ 100,000 educations were being mis-treated because they did all the work and got nothing back. Horse Puckey. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to play and it could be viewed those with pro talents were getting the education needed to go on just like the guy next to them in a classroom studying to be an accountant. Consider the kid being paid a couple hundred grand a year for college sports and he graduates, can't make the pros, takes his C average degree and is now searching for a job at a fraction of that amount.

The NCAA sat on their worthless butt's and let this happen. It is not too late, and that same organization could end this farce now before it goes any farther. Call it off, take the heat, media condemnation, and fight the barrage of lawsuits to follow and restore some kind of common sense to college sports. If not, it is only a matter of a short time that the rich will be dominant and the others just be the others. Incidentally, where are the University presidents in this mess who also sat on the learned backsides and offered no concern?
I don’t disagree with some of your points but it is too late.

Reactions: Radio Zero

let's not forget that it was the schools and coaches that opened Pandora's box, and the NCAA that allowed it.

and the schools and coaches want that box left open, even though it means destroying what college sports was.

the schools and coaches are the ones who killed it with their greed.

the NCAA let them, when only they could have stopped it and saved amateur college sports..

I believe what we will see is a series of one year contracts. A good player with a good year will demand more money and his current school will have to bid against every other school for his services.
The player is less likely to graduate, even if they play four years, as not all credits will transfer. That may prove to not make a difference as I suspect that some per cent of graduated players did not learn the material anyway. The ex athlete with or without a degree may have the same level of knowledge and chance of success in the business world.
I am not smart enough to have a solution and many may not want a solution.

Unsavory sh!t happens. It’s alway happened. Will continue to happen. NIL just brings it out more in the open. It’s actually harder to get away with the shady stuff with todays viral media. The sad part is these kids have been taken advantage of by “rules” that self serve administrators who have turned a blind eye to these supposed unsavories. They use these unsavories to justify the means. If these kids can get theirs so be it. You only live once. The smart ones will take full advantage.
So we agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT