ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman of Impact Next Year

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
IU was not in bad shape for next year given the number of starters and guys w/experience returning. In the old days, the more red-shirts you can have the better to give them a year to grow, acclimate and get practice experience. But the truly "ready to play" players who can earn a spot in top 2 rotation and contribute should play right away.

I'm thinking the "only" guys from this class who might earn there way in freshman year are the following (and to me this is a good thing if numbers are low.)

DEFENSE:
Juan Harris & LaShaun Minor - DT - both are big men who look ready to be in the rotation from first game who should be able to contribute as fresh/big bodies to help stuff the run and create pressure.

Alfred Bryant - DE - has enough size (245) and Texas pedigree, if he's a good one think he could work his way into the top 2 spots.

McGinness - LB - seems to have the size and will be Jr. in age. Seems like he's a natural to be one of back up LB's who will be in the rotation and play.

Juwan Burgess & Bryant Fitzgerald - Safety - both seem like total stud athletes, have size and skill. One may start, but do believe both will play and be in the rotation from the start.

Hunt or Layne - CB - IU has 2 returning starters, but like NFL, can never have too many good CBs. If these southern boys are good (GA/FL) believe ONE of them will crack the rotation. Hope then the one who does not is red shirted to let him mature.

OFFENSE:
P Hendershot - TE - He's very athletic and friend who saw him play this season said "he caught everything they thru near him" Granted that's small IN HS competition, but think the new OC will use TE's more and that he's got a cockiness/edge about him, plus good hands & will play.

Whop & Fryfogle - WR - similar to the CB's, predict ONE of these two will crack the lineup and then hope the other one is red-shirted. Given the tall WR's we have returning, thinking Fryfogle is good RS candidate and Whop, who looks electric with his stop/go cuts, is in the Mitchell Paige slot mix.

Ellison or Nelson - RB We have a lot of RB's returning, but no one has totally dominated by a long shot, so if either of these two backs are of elite caliber from day one, they could easily make the rotation. Again, unless both are total studs, hope one is red-shirted to get maturity/growth.

Whitehead - P To burn a scholly on a punter, I'm assuming they feel he is the real deal. Hope so, would love to have a 4 yr "field changer" to help IU out of some jams and back up other teams.

So out of 23 signees, I see approximately 11 who could play/contribute and 12 who will redshirt.

Of those 11, I think they are all legit, talented, B10 level players. Being able to sprinkle in the cream of the class crop (and not be relying on them like a few years ago) to me means the overall talent level playing will be higher and that is how IU is going to be able to finally breakthrough to the 7-8 win category.

*Then if so, we'll start seeing more of the 4-star types giving IU a more serious look. But overall, I think this class is a good one. There is size, speed and our coaches know what they are doing.

Already thinking about the August Shot heard round the world ahead...upsetting Ohio State!

IU was not in bad shape for next year given the number of starters and guys w/experience returning. In the old days, the more red-shirts you can have the better to give them a year to grow, acclimate and get practice experience. But the truly "ready to play" players who can earn a spot in top 2 rotation and contribute should play right away.

I'm thinking the "only" guys from this class who might earn there way in freshman year are the following (and to me this is a good thing if numbers are low.)

DEFENSE:
Juan Harris & LaShaun Minor - DT - both are big men who look ready to be in the rotation from first game who should be able to contribute as fresh/big bodies to help stuff the run and create pressure.

Alfred Bryant - DE - has enough size (245) and Texas pedigree, if he's a good one think he could work his way into the top 2 spots.

McGinness - LB - seems to have the size and will be Jr. in age. Seems like he's a natural to be one of back up LB's who will be in the rotation and play.

Juwan Burgess & Bryant Fitzgerald - Safety - both seem like total stud athletes, have size and skill. One may start, but do believe both will play and be in the rotation from the start.

Hunt or Layne - CB - IU has 2 returning starters, but like NFL, can never have too many good CBs. If these southern boys are good (GA/FL) believe ONE of them will crack the rotation. Hope then the one who does not is red shirted to let him mature.

OFFENSE:
P Hendershot - TE - He's very athletic and friend who saw him play this season said "he caught everything they thru near him" Granted that's small IN HS competition, but think the new OC will use TE's more and that he's got a cockiness/edge about him, plus good hands & will play.

Whop & Fryfogle - WR - similar to the CB's, predict ONE of these two will crack the lineup and then hope the other one is red-shirted. Given the tall WR's we have returning, thinking Fryfogle is good RS candidate and Whop, who looks electric with his stop/go cuts, is in the Mitchell Paige slot mix.

Ellison or Nelson - RB We have a lot of RB's returning, but no one has totally dominated by a long shot, so if either of these two backs are of elite caliber from day one, they could easily make the rotation. Again, unless both are total studs, hope one is red-shirted to get maturity/growth.

Whitehead - P To burn a scholly on a punter, I'm assuming they feel he is the real deal. Hope so, would love to have a 4 yr "field changer" to help IU out of some jams and back up other teams.

So out of 23 signees, I see approximately 11 who could play/contribute and 12 who will redshirt.

Of those 11, I think they are all legit, talented, B10 level players. Being able to sprinkle in the cream of the class crop (and not be relying on them like a few years ago) to me means the overall talent level playing will be higher and that is how IU is going to be able to finally breakthrough to the 7-8 win category.

*Then if so, we'll start seeing more of the 4-star types giving IU a more serious look. But overall, I think this class is a good one. There is size, speed and our coaches know what they are doing.

Already thinking about the August Shot heard round the world ahead...upsetting Ohio State!
I hope you are correct about the # of red-shirts increasing but my mind tells me that injures and other issues will result in fewer red-shirts than you project.

DEFENSE:

OFFENSE:

I hope you are correct about the # of red-shirts increasing but my mind tells me that injures and other issues will result in fewer red-shirts than you project.

My vote would go to Juwan Burgess. Put him back there at safety with Crawford and we have two dandies. I think you were pretty well spot on with the rest of your pics also! We been right there with the Ohio University the last few years so I too am ready to celebrate in August!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT