ADVERTISEMENT

Fred to retire, Archie on the clock

Huge recruiting losses? Kids have many choices of where to play. Expecting every one to attend IU isn't realistic. Painter rarely gets a top recruit. He relies on grad transfers and the second and third tier players. That is the method of someone that doesn't have the ability to recruit elite talent to make their roster competitive. It works for them, but we can do better.

I'll take a transfer if it is a player we would have wanted as a freshman or if we have an open scholarship and they are okay as a role player or having limited playing time. Brunk was a good use of a grad transfer. We had a need and he was someone we had done our homework on and had been able to see play.

We have not lost a game this year due to the lack of a PG or depth. I get it. Archie wasn't your guy. Now that he is here, understand that he is building for the long term and a sense of urgency brings in players like Crean recruited. I like having a mix of solid experience and the burger boys. If TJD leaves early, we will have options available if we need them or Archie may feel good about what we already have committed. I'm not going to worry about next year. I believe TJD will stay, get stronger, work on his right hand, and work on his range. If not, I'm sure Archie has a plan. It won't be a panicked reaction to fill the roster with crap.

Eleven games in, we are 10-1. I'm sure we will lose a few games to give a thrill to you guys wanting to be proven correct. The reality is that most coaches fail at some point and are fired. If you keep complaining and stick with your desire to be correct regardless of the effect on the program, someday you might be able to tell us how smart you were in 2019. I see beyond a bad game at Wisconsin and a difficult game against a team that destroyed a comparable team 2 days later. I'm not wishing Archie to fail like so many are.

Actually, Archie WAS my guy. It looked like it was between Holtmann, Mack & Archie and, on the face of things, he looked like the right call.

When I saw his press conference, it was like "ok, he's nervous...not outgoing, but at least he'll be one fierce sob". Well......., not so much, as far as I can tell after 3 years. Where is the determination and the fight? And I don't see it being made up by being superior on the Xs and Os. He seems very average in that regard. It seems to me that TJD is carrying his water. Do you see otherwise?

And yes, losing Carton & Garcia were huge recruiting losses. And since Carton, he is in the 0-8 to 0-10 range on recruiting another pg. Then there was taking Damezi over Henry, and re-recruiting Al, Smith & Cliff Moore. Brunk was a good add. Fitzner was a good try, IF we did our due diligence in recruiting him. If we would have known with good scouting and investigation that he was as mentally & physically soft as he turned out to be.....not so much.

Comparing Painter to Archie on recruiting isn't fair to Painter. He's not going to get a Romeo out of Southern Indiana or a TJD out of Indy. IU, for now at least, still has the cachet Purdue lacks.

So right now the minuses outnumber the pluses, and by a long-shot, imo. What about this year? The last 2 of our 7 automatic wins were concerning.......then FSU. Breakthrough? Then crap games v. Wisconsin & Nebraska. So.....4 of the last 5 games have been poor efforts.

What makes you think only those three are “fierce competitors?” I see a team that fights for rebounds and hustles on the floor. I see players that appear to support each other and a team that wants to win. I see people here that look at the same thing and apparently see it differently.

Knight used to have a couple of sayings that I think apply here........

First he said something to the effect that 'Everybody wants to win, but not many are willing to put forth the effort required to win'.

The other, which he said when describing D. Thomas' leadership skills, was that 'he couldn't lead a whore to bed'.

Compare this years IU team to the 2002 IU and 2018 Purdue teams. 2 over-achieving teams, I would think. Regarding '02 IU,,,Coverdale was a Mr. Basketball, but not a highly recruited guy. Fife was a McDonald's AA, but one of the least talented MAA ever. There was one stud--Jeffries, but the other leader of the team was Moye. That was an internally driven team....the coaching was neglible. Now let me ask you......do you think Coverdale, Fife, and Moye would have put have up with the attitudes of DG and Justin Smith the last 3 years?

OK, let's go to Purdue 2018. There we have a strong-willed coach and three players who were leaders. Edwards, who was physically talented, and Cline & Eifert, who weren't. Same question. Would Painter, Edwards, Cline & Eifert have put up with the attitudes of DG & Justin Smith the last 3 years?

So what I've seen this last 3 years......insufficient leadership from Archie, and good guys like Morgan, Romeo, Phinisee & Durham who were/are unwilling or unable to get in people's faces and hold them accountable.

Reactions: Travis Denny
Both the attendance and the atmosphere have deteriorated, other than for special games. There is no enthusiasm for this team among the students. The team is passive, for the most part, although the new guys are an improvement in the attitude department. The coaching staff is business-as-usual and look bored as well.

ehh -- you're basing this off an overall trend in college basketball (lower student attendance) and your subjective view of how jazzed the players and staff appear. i gotta call cognitive bias on this one. you are down on IU so maybe everything about IU looks down to you. even coach engagement...

Actually, Archie WAS my guy. It looked like it was between Holtmann, Mack & Archie and, on the face of things, he looked like the right call.

When I saw his press conference, it was like "ok, he's nervous...not outgoing, but at least he'll be one fierce sob". Well......., not so much, as far as I can tell after 3 years. Where is the determination and the fight? And I don't see it being made up by being superior on the Xs and Os. He seems very average in that regard. It seems to me that TJD is carrying his water. Do you see otherwise?

And yes, losing Carton & Garcia were huge recruiting losses. And since Carton, he is in the 0-8 to 0-10 range on recruiting another pg. Then there was taking Damezi over Henry, and re-recruiting Al, Smith & Cliff Moore. Brunk was a good add. Fitzner was a good try, IF we did our due diligence in recruiting him. If we would have known with good scouting and investigation that he was as mentally & physically soft as he turned out to be.....not so much.

Comparing Painter to Archie on recruiting isn't fair to Painter. He's not going to get a Romeo out of Southern Indiana or a TJD out of Indy. IU, for now at least, still has the cachet Purdue lacks.

So right now the minuses outnumber the pluses, and by a long-shot, imo. What about this year? The last 2 of our 7 automatic wins were concerning.......then FSU. Breakthrough? Then crap games v. Wisconsin & Nebraska. So.....4 of the last 5 games have been poor efforts.
You need to go back and trust your initial thoughts. Have you heard Archie speak live and away from cameras? He was very colorful and funny in Evansville. He was very engaging with the people that came up afterward. THAT is what the players see in practice and on the road. THAT is what the coaches see. He is very guarded in an interview or a press conference.

I don't think he really knew how big the problem was until he was on the job. The first thing he saw was 2 players that were D2 level or below and a group of seniors that would give him very little.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Regarding '02 IU,,,Coverdale was a Mr. Basketball, but not a highly recruited guy. Fife was a McDonald's AA, but one of the least talented MAA ever. There was one stud--Jeffries, but the other leader of the team was Moye. That was an internally driven team....the coaching was neglible. Now let me ask you......do you think Coverdale, Fife, and Moye would have put have up with the attitudes of DG and Justin Smith the last 3 years?

That team was forged in the fires of adversity. The kids that had been through the Knight firing (and media circus) were stronger because of it. Fife and Co. would have run through a brick wall for that team. Is it any wonder why, considering everything that they went through TOGETHER.

You need to go back and trust your initial thoughts. Have you heard Archie speak live and away from cameras? He was very colorful and funny in Evansville. He was very engaging with the people that came up afterward. THAT is what the players see in practice and on the road. THAT is what the coaches see. He is very guarded in an interview or a press conference.

I don't think he really knew how big the problem was until he was on the job. The first thing he saw was 2 players that were D2 level or below and a group of seniors that would give him very little.

Yes, I heard that about his Evansville appearance. I'd like to see him be more expressive more often.With most of his media time, he sounds like he's just going through the motions. And.............he needs to get a suit that fits him. Wth is going on there.....

As far as this season goes, I like us to beat ND & Arkansas, but I don't think we have the gonads to win hotly contested BT road games...........in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say we won't win 1 BT road game. We're 1-1 now. I think we finish 9-11 in the BT, 21-12 overall, and lose in the 1st round of the BT tourney:

Win: NW, MSU, MD, Purdue, Iowa; PSU; Minnesota; Illinois
Lose: at MD; OSU; at Rutgers; at Nebraska; at PSU; at OSU; at Michigan; at Minnesota; at Purdue; at Illinois

That team was forged in the fires of adversity. The kids that had been through the Knight firing (and media circus) were stronger because of it. Fife and Co. would have run through a brick wall for that team. Is it any wonder why, considering everything that they went through TOGETHER.

Absolutely..............how does our current team view itself? If you gave them truth serum, I think they'd say 'a 50-50 BT team'.

Yes, I heard that about his Evansville appearance. I'd like to see him be more expressive more often.With most of his media time, he sounds like he's just going through the motions. And.............he needs to get a suit that fits him. Wth is going on there.....

As far as this season goes, I like us to beat ND & Arkansas, but I don't think we have the gonads to win hotly contested BT road games...........in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say we won't win 1 BT road game. We're 1-1 now. I think we finish 9-11 in the BT, 21-12 overall, and lose in the 1st round of the BT tourney:

Lose: at MD; OSU; at Rutgers; at Nebraska; at PSU; at OSU; at Michigan; at Minnesota; at Purdue; at Illinois
i think this is exactly how we'll end up record and win-wise.

Seems about right
I would say 10-10 isabout our ceiling in the big ten which is likely bubble territory. But we could go 8-12 just as easy. I just dont see any roads wins either.

Seems about right
I would say 10-10 isabout our ceiling in the big ten which is likely bubble territory. But we could go 8-12 just as easy. I just dont see any roads wins either.
You guys seem clinically depressed. If IU wins more than you predict you’ll still find ways to criticize the team, coach and university. Your pessimism seems to have no limits.

You guys seem clinically depressed. If IU wins more than you predict you’ll still find ways to criticize the team, coach and university. Your pessimism seems to have no limits.
You and the unicorn crowd live in extremes. “Clinically depressed?” Really? A little extreme? I think mushroomgod is spot on. In my life whether iu b-ball wins or loses barely registers. It’s purely entertainment. Hell it isn’t even on the top of sports interests. If I see half the games I’m lucky. I record champions league. Iu b-ball? Nah. And it’s not a big deal. I hope we do well in hoops but you and others need to stop with the hyperbole. Do we criticize miller? Yes? But it’s not a big deal.

You and the unicorn crowd live in extremes.
There is no unicorn crowd and very few fanboys. You guys just make them up and pretend they are the polar opposite of you to give your emotional delusion some kind of false validity by having an enemy.

You're the one living in an extreme and an emotional one at that.. The other side you made up doesn't exist. They are instead people who are not as quickly moved by butt hurt emotion and ignorance as you are. Irrational and angry .. about a game. Weird ..

Last edited:
There is no unicorn crowd and very few fanboys. You guys just make them up and pretend they are the polar opposite of you to give your emotional delusion some kind of false validity.

You're the one living in an extreme and an emotional one at that.. The other side you made up doesn't exist. They are instead people who are not as quickly moved by butt hurt emotion as you are.

Keep trying to project a value on this stuff that simply doesn’t exist. Many of us aren’t fanboys like you and are okay with calling out marginal results, but stop trying to project import where it doesn’t exist. Miller has been unimpressive thus far. Are those rationale enough to see it “butt hurt?” Hardly. It’s not on the top of the list of streaming tv. We’ll be fine chief. We’ll continue to root for our alma mater, but be fine either way. In the meantime continue to work on your 15,000 post. Does it pay well? You try to be an internet bully. Those of us with an iq over 70 aren’t moved. We face real life issues that make you the spitball that you are....neither you nor iu b-ball mean a darn thing. Just entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: snarlcakes
There is no unicorn crowd and very few fanboys. You guys just make them up and pretend they are the polar opposite of you to give your emotional delusion some kind of false validity by having an enemy.

You're the one living in an extreme and an emotional one at that.. The other side you made up doesn't exist. They are instead people who are not as quickly moved by butt hurt emotion and ignorance as you are. Irrational and angry .. about a game. Weird ..

You’re a perfect example of a fanboy. Delusional, lack any substance or facts to back up your opinion, and constantly whine when people correctly point out how pedestrian Archie has been at IU. You just claim (lie) you don’t know yet, but for some reason your insults only go towards posters who think Archie isn’t that good of a coach. I wonder why that is? At least the other posters are honest about their support of Archie. Pansy.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You’re a perfect example of a fanboy. Delusional, lack any substance or facts to back up your opinion, and constantly whine when people correctly point out how pedestrian Archie has been at IU. You just claim (lie) you don’t know yet, but for some reason your insults only go towards posters who think Archie isn’t that good of a coach. I wonder why that is? At least the other posters are honest about their support of Archie. Pansy.
TMP is an internet “tough guy.” Nothing worse.

TMP is an internet “tough guy.” Nothing worse.

I actually feel sorry for him. He’s posted 10s of thousands of times under multiple handles on here, which is weird. Deep down I’m sure he is a sweetheart. You just have to unpack all that hurt.

You and the unicorn crowd live in extremes. “Clinically depressed?” Really? A little extreme? I think mushroomgod is spot on. In my life whether iu b-ball wins or loses barely registers. It’s purely entertainment. Hell it isn’t even on the top of sports interests. If I see half the games I’m lucky. I record champions league. Iu b-ball? Nah. And it’s not a big deal. I hope we do well in hoops but you and others need to stop with the hyperbole. Do we criticize miller? Yes? But it’s not a big deal.
Nah, I meant what I said. You storm cloud farting whiners have to be depressed to post negative crap 24/7. ;)

I actually watch every IU game that I can watch, though sometimes I have to DVR it. It seems you're extremely negative about a team you don't even watch much. As someone that does watch the team, I don't see a reason to be pessimistic and hyperbolically negative like you guys. I like the direction we're headed and optimistic that we'll get there. Of course, I have the advantage of living in the Dayton area and watching UD play while Miller was coach many times. The man can coach. UD fans universally were disappointed to lose him to IU. When I mention that we have IU fans that have given up on him already or even want him fired, they are shocked. They thought IU fans knew basketball. I have to tell them not all of them do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing
Nah, I meant what I said. You storm cloud farting whiners have to be depressed to post negative crap 24/7. ;)

I actually watch every IU game that I can watch, though sometimes I have to DVR it. I don't see a reason to be nearly as pessimistic and hyperbolically negative as you guys. I like the direction we're headed and optimistic that we'll get there. Of course, I have the advantage of living in the Dayton area and watching UD play while IU was coach many times. The man can coach. UD fans universally were disappointed to lose him to IU. When I mention that we have IU fans that have given up on him already or even want him fired, they are shocked. They thought IU fans knew basketball. I have to tell them not all of them do.

I actually watch every IU game that I can watch, though sometimes I have to DVR it. It seems you're extremely negative about a team you don't even watch much. As someone that does watch the team, I don't see a reason to be pessimistic and hyperbolically negative as you guys. I like the direction we're headed and optimistic that we'll get there. Of course, I have the advantage of living in the Dayton area and watching UD play while Miller was coach many times. The man can coach. UD fans universally were disappointed to lose him to IU. When I mention that we have IU fans that have given up on him already or even want him fired, they are shocked. They thought IU fans knew basketball. I have to tell them not all of them do.

If you’re a Dayton resident I’m glad to hear it and hope you’re right. You might know more than us viewing from afar. What many of us have seen thus far has been less than impressive. The 12-13 game losing streak. Games where the kids come out totally flat as if they do t care. Anyway, I have an affinity for Dayton. It’s a great place. A lifetime ago I worked out off and on with the Dayton dynamo. I hope you are right about miller. I’m not a fan thus far but have no faith we’d do any better in replacing him. It would obviously be best if he did well. We may complain but we hope he turns it around. That said the notion that it takes 5 years and 20 mil to do so at a place like Indiana is bless his heart stupid.

Last edited:
Keep trying to project a value on this stuff that simply doesn’t exist. Many of us aren’t fanboys like you and are okay with calling out marginal results, but stop trying to project import where it doesn’t exist. Miller has been unimpressive thus far. Are those rationale enough to see it “butt hurt?” Hardly. It’s not on the top of the list of streaming tv. We’ll be fine chief. We’ll continue to root for our alma mater, but be fine either way. In the meantime continue to work on your 15,000 post. Does it pay well? You try to be an internet bully. Those of us with an iq over 70 aren’t moved. We face real life issues that make you the spitball that you are....neither you nor iu b-ball mean a darn thing. Just entertainment.

For someone that doesn't watch all the games and it is just entertainment, you spent a HELL of a lot of time one here and post a LOT.

Let me summarize: you don't follow IU closely enough to make any assessments.

If you’re a Dayton resident I’m glad to hear it and hope you’re right. You might know more than us viewing from afar. What many of us have seen thus far has been less than impressive. The 12-13 game losing streak. Games where the kids come out totally flat as if they do t care. Anyway, I have an affinity for Dayton. It’s a great place. A lifetime ago I worked out off and on with the Dayton dynamo. I hope you are right about miller. I’m not a fan thus far but have no faith we’d do any better in replacing him. It would obviously be best if he did well. We may complain but we hope he turns it around. That said the notion that it takes 5 years and 20 mil to do so at a place like Indiana is bless his heart stupid.
UD has great fans and they have a great arena. I like to support the local teams so I watch them and go to games. Wright State is pretty good in their conference too. That being said, I honestly believe Archie is going to be successful at IU. Except for that bad streak last year, I’ve been very happy with him. I’m enjoying this year too. Basketball teams have bad games. In my opinion, if you can’t handle the occasional bad game in basketball, the sport isn’t for you.

Just as your acceptance of mediocrity and missing the tourney the last three years also have no limits. IU will never win with fan support like you who simply say "it's a rebuilding process". IU is soft and until the players, coaches, and administration refuse to lose, we will be having this conversation in 2020, 2021, 2022......

UD has great fans and they have a great arena. I like to support the local teams so I watch them and go to games. Wright State is pretty good in their conference too. That being said, I honestly believe Archie is going to be successful at IU. Except for that bad streak last year, I’ve been very happy with him. I’m enjoying this year too. Basketball teams have bad games. In my opinion, if you can’t handle the occasional bad game in basketball, the sport isn’t for you.
I think you’re being generous. I watched some games in that losing streak last year. I watched the Nebraska game and the Wisconsin game. I’ve played for coaches. At all levels. What I’ve seen in Miller’s players is hardly a group ready to leave it all on the line for their coach. We’ll beat nd and Arkansas and win 8 or 9 games in the big ten. Next year “we’ll be young.” In two years we’ll be looking for a coach. Again. Anyway, back to more productive endeavors. Hopefully I’ll be back later this year to eat crow....

Just as your acceptance of mediocrity and missing the tourney the last three years also have no limits. IU will never win with fan support like you who simply say "it's a rebuilding process". IU is soft and until the players, coaches, and administration refuse to lose, we will be having this conversation in 2020, 2021, 2022......
You’re wrong to think I accept mediocrity. If you knew me, you’d know that’s 180 off. Archie has had two seasons so don’t blame the last three on him. That’s dishonest trolling and if you’re an honest IU fan you’ll cut the crap on that. Secondly, if you don’t see the improvement in the recruiting since Crean and don’t appreciate the increased discipline of this team since Crean, I can’t take you seriously.

I think you’re being generous. I watched some games in that losing streak last year. I watched the Nebraska game and the Wisconsin game. I’ve played for coaches. At all levels. What I’ve seen in Miller’s players is hardly a group ready to leave it all on the line for their coach. We’ll beat nd and Arkansas and win 8 or 9 games in the big ten. Next year “we’ll be young.” In two years we’ll be looking for a coach. Again. Anyway, back to more productive endeavors. Hopefully I’ll be back later this year to eat crow....
We agree on your last sentence. I’ll enjoy it. I’d also bet on it.

On a semi-related note. I am all alone in this world. Help!

Fify

You’re wrong to think I accept mediocrity. If you knew me, you’d know that’s 180 off. Archie has had two seasons so don’t blame the last three on him. That’s dishonest trolling and if you’re an honest IU fan you’ll cut the crap on that. Secondly, if you don’t see the improvement in the recruiting since Crean and don’t appreciate the increased discipline of this team since Crean, I can’t take you seriously.

Have I seen improvement since CAM? Yes, at times. Have I watched games since he was hired and then think IU has turned the corner? Yes again. Then I watch a game like they had at Wisconsin and I see the same old IU team, with the deer in the headlight look and think here we go again. Inconsistency, uninspired play, numerous turnovers, and the inability to stop the 3 point wide open shots (my pet peeve) I often see IU allow, make me feel like I'm watching Groundhog Day, with the same old IU team. Different players but same result. I hope like hell I am wrong, I would gladly eat crow and admit I was wrong, if IU finishes well, makes the tourney and even wins a game. I just don't see it though, I see a repeat of last year and won't be surprised at an upcoming losing streak, at which point well have those who say "next year will be better".

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ohhhh Hondo. At this point I’m into iu about 350k after tickets, donations, and law school. I’ll say whatever I want.

Like that time you said IU slipped a lot academically under McRobbie and then the actual facts bitch slapped you? Can’t wait to read what you say next...

and good job talking big boy dollar amounts on an anonymous internet board. I’m sure all of the complete strangers here are super impressed.

ohhhh Hondo. At this point I’m into iu about 350k after tickets, donations, and law school. I’ll say whatever I want.
So which is it you sorry ass chameleon?

Reactions: hondo314
Like that time you said IU slipped a lot academically under McRobbie and then the actual facts bitch slapped you? Can’t wait to read what you say next...

and good job talking big boy dollar amounts on an anonymous internet board. I’m sure all of the complete strangers here are super impressed.

“Actual facts bitch slapped me?” You cited no facts. Here are facts that took me less than a minute to find. US News rankings:

IU 2008 ranked 71
IU 2009 ranked 71

IU 2018 ranked 89
IU 2019 ranked 90

IU Law 2009 ranked 23
IU Law 2019 ranked 34.

Football 0 bowls in that 2009-2019 period.

Basketball 4 tournament appearances in that decade.

Sports and academics not a good decade under mcrobbie. Facts....

Last edited:
the cupboard was bare.
Very bare. CAM inherited a team that flamed out big time. And that team lost its two best players. His first class was a bunch of Crean recruits, not necessarily in the mold he would have chosen. He has had two recruiting classes, and the best players on this team are freshmen and sophomores outside of the occasional big game by our streaky Sr SG... Go figure

IU is still the number one sports interest I have. Then it's the Pacers,Colts, and Cubs in that order. I would throw IU Football in there but I have a hard time trusting it.

“Actual facts bitch slapped me?” You cited no facts. Here are facts that took me less than a minute to find. US News rankings:

IU 2008 ranked 71
IU 2009 ranked 71

IU 2018 ranked 89
IU 2019 ranked 90

IU Law 2009 ranked 23
IU Law 2019 ranked 34.

Football 0 bowls in that 2009-2019 period.

Basketball 4 tournament appearances in that decade.

Sports and academics not a good decade under mcrobbie. Facts....

HUGE academic drops. HUGE! Hahaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT