ADVERTISEMENT

Fred to retire, Archie on the clock

I often wonder if Archie would have been better off if he had started over.
Well, that was, to some degree, his own decision. I have no idea if we'd be better off now had he done this. But it's water under the bridge and not worth discussing.

You can't ignore that Juwan was challenged and became a very good player under Archie. Durham has improved every year. Damezi has made more progress this year than I expected. TJD is playing at a higher level than I expected. Thompson is doing the little things and shows a toughness we often ignore. I expect Hunter to continue to improve

Player development matters, of course. But, so far as the team's interests, it only really matters in the sense that it feeds into making us harder to beat. We can sit here and discuss the nuances of this or that player's development under Archie. But we're still left with the elephant in the living room: we're still not a very good team....just as we weren't last year, or the year before. Thus far (and, yes, I know it's early), we've struggled to play with the worst teams in the conference. That's not encouraging.

I like this team. I like the roster balance.

I'd take a team full of PGs if they could do the things we need to do to win the games we need to win.

I will like it even better next year. You can see an intelligent process to who we bring into the program. I trust the process and Archie is a good coach.

Whatever the process, we need results. He needs results. Now. Not next year. It certainly looks like he's going to get another year. But it might well be a lame duck year for him -- which almost always complicates recruiting. That's one of the biggest reasons why I'm a fan of just cutting bait sooner rather than later.

I wasn't specifically talking about transfers there, Shit-for-Brains. Try to follow the conversation. But now that you brought it up again, Baylor, Oregon & Gonzaga would not be top 10 except for their transfers. So you are wrong again.

Again, Baylor, Oregon, and Gonzaga could offer immediate playing time to all these guys. Gonzaga lost their top 4 guards from the year prior. Oregon lost 7/9 best players from last years team. When you lose that many guys and have immediate playing time/roles to fill, it's much easier to fill your rosters with transfers. Stop being so freaking dense and treating every situation the same.

Whatever the process, we need results. He needs results. Now. Not next year.

He's 10-1 right now for crying out loud with a very good chance of picking up wins against Notre Dame Saturday and then another Q1 win against Arkansas at home. Why don't we wait until the season ends before we all start jumping off cliffs although if some posters did I wouldn't mind

He's 10-1 right now for crying out loud with a very good chance of picking up against Notre Dame Saturday and then another Q1 win against Arkansas at home. Why don't we wait until the season ends before we all start jumping off cliffs although if some posters did I wouldn't mind

I consider us 3-1. They get pretty much zero credit from me for the 7 cupcake wins -- which is just as well, that's how much credit they're going to get from the selection committee. Those were exhibition games.

And we've had 2 B10 games -- both against teams that have struggled all season. One, we got absolutely humiliated on the road. The other, we eked out a wholly unimpressive win in OT -- despite being favored by 18.5.

Again, I haven't thrown in the towel on either this season or on this coach. But I am saying that it's time for him and his team to start playing better on a consistent basis. He's had plenty of time, Indy.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So, a good portion of your argument (intended to bolster IU’s academic reputation) is that admissions standards are lower, so the University is better than it seems? That’s as credible as your English proficiency.

huh? just explaining that admissions weigh heavily on rankings and schools have different goals when it comes to admissions. McRobbie has done well at what IU is actually trying to do.

i'm guessing your reading comprehension will come along as you progress through HS. Good luck!

I consider us 3-1. They get pretty much zero credit from me for the 7 cupcake wins -- which is just as well, that's how much credit they're going to get from the selection committee. Those were exhibition games.

Which is absolute bullshit (and the committee last year definitely didn't feel that way) because we were left out of the tournament because we only had 18 wins while a team like St. John's got in with 13 Q3 and Q4 wins (including 3 Q3 losses). They matter.

And we've had 2 B10 games -- both against teams that have struggled all season. One, we got absolutely humiliated on the road. The other, we eked out a wholly unimpressive win in OT -- despite being favored by 18.5.

If we've learned anything, the B10 is going to be a dogfight this year. Ohio State got blasted on the road to a terrible Minnesota team. Purdue lost to Nebraska. Not a single road team has won a conference game this year. Count your conference wins as a blessing and take them any way you can get.

Reactions: minneman

Again, I haven't thrown in the towel on either this season or on this coach. But I am saying that it's time for him and his team to start playing better on a consistent basis. He's had plenty of time, Indy.

so you haven't thrown in the towel but you're going to post about said towel and how close you are to throwing it in? every day, all day?

the world is on notice. and lucky us. lol.

huh? just explaining that admissions weigh heavily on rankings and schools have different goals when it comes to admissions. McRobbie has done well at what IU is actually trying to do.

i'm guessing your reading comprehension will come along as you progress through HS. Good luck!
Uh, you made an argument that McRobbie should be lauded for lowering the admissions bar so that more Indiana kids could get into school. That may be his mission and you may agree with it, but it’s a lousy argument if you’re trying (as you were) to say that it enhances IU’s academic reputation. It doesn’t.

figures you don't understand the college rankings either. lol. about 80% of that ranking is comprised of the scores/ class rankings of incoming HS students and how long it takes them to get a degree (or if they even do.) Raise your admission standards and you climb the rankings. but IU is actually trying to get Indiana HS kids into college. always has been. McRobbie has done a good job keeping that up while also hiring good faculty and upgrading facilities across the board. IU undergrad actually punches above its weight when considering the rankings and scores of its freshmen.

but go ahead and wrap academics into your dopey ball of vague and ignorant dissatisfaction. cool.

#themoreyouknow
Good lord you're a dumb sh*t. again did you even graduate from IU? or are you just a really slow shill? i mentioned academics because of mcrobbie. you must be very young. iu's reputation has only gotten worse. and you do realize that iu accepts fewer indiana residents than most other state universities. u of fla by way of example is over 90% residents of florida. so iu is now taking almost 50% out of state students yet iu is trying to get indiana hs kids into college? really? they are doing so at a rate far below other land grant universities. with the amount of out of state kids coming to iu our admissions statistics should be far higher. the truth is under brand's and mcrobbie's stewardship iu has become a safety school.

Again, Baylor, Oregon, and Gonzaga could offer immediate playing time to all these guys. Gonzaga lost their top 4 guards from the year prior. Oregon lost 7/9 best players from last years team. When you lose that many guys and have immediate playing time/roles to fill, it's much easier to fill your rosters with transfers. Stop being so freaking dense and treating every situation the same.

We had, and have, an absolute need for a 6'5" to 6'7" inch wing guy who can fill it up from the baseline against a zone. Damezi, Hunter, and Smith aren't ready or able to fill that role. We had a second absolute need for a back-up point guard who could free up Durham & Green. I'll grant you that would be a little harder to fill, but UL managed to get a good one from St. Joseph's

You talking about Green & Durham as back-up points reminds me of the "Good Enough" TV commercials......they're good enough........ as long as you don't mind being mediocre. That should suit you.You wouldn't know a good player or a good team if it bit you on the ass.

Uh, you made an argument that McRobbie should be lauded for lowering the admissions bar so that more Indiana kids could get into school. That may be his mission and you may agree with it, but it’s a lousy argument if you’re trying (as you were) to say that it enhances IU’s academic reputation. It doesn’t.

it's not his mission. lol. it's IU's mission. again, his #1 job isn't getting IU bumped 5 spots in a USA Today ranking. lololol.

We had, and have, an absolute need for a 6'5" to 6'7" inch wing guy who can fill it up from the baseline against a zone. Damezi, Hunter, and Smith aren't ready or able to fill that role. We had a second absolute need for a back-up point guard who could free up Durham & Green. I'll grant you that would be a little harder to fill, but UL managed to get a good one from St. Joseph's

You talking about Green & Durham as back-up points reminds me of the "Good Enough" TV commercials......they're good enough........ as long as you don't mind being mediocre. That should suit you.You wouldn't know a good player or a good team if it bit you on the ass.

LOL.

My issue is with recruiting misses to Carton and Brooks, not the we didn't go get a grad transfer to average 4 points off the bench. We did that last year.

it's not his mission. lol. it's IU's mission. again, his #1 job isn't getting IU bumped 5 spots in a USA Today ranking. lololol.
One of his jobs is to act as a steward over the university's reputation - it's how a school draws better students and faculty, and how it increases the value of the iu degree in a very competitive market. sadly, part of that is playing the rankings game: through us news and all the other rags. Is it unfortunate? of course. but it matters. greatly.

Well the football team has 8 wins for the first time in forever, the soccer team is Big Ten Champions again this season, the women's basketball team has never been ranked higher and the men are currently 10-1. I think Glass is smart to choose this time to step aside while IU sports in general are really doing well. Other than keeping Tom Crean a bit too long I think Fred has done a fine job. I have a bigger concern about McRobbie choosing his replacement. McRobbie is on the way out too.
McRobbie should not be choosing anything except his retirement home.

Good lord you're a dumb sh*t. again did you even graduate from IU? or are you just a really slow shill? i mentioned academics because of mcrobbie. you must be very young. iu's reputation has only gotten worse. and you do realize that iu accepts fewer indiana residents than most other state universities. u of fla by way of example is over 90% residents of florida. so iu is now taking almost 50% out of state students yet iu is trying to get indiana hs kids into college? really? they are doing so at a rate far below other land grant universities. with the amount of out of state kids coming to iu our admissions statistics should be far higher. the truth is under brand's and mcrobbie's stewardship iu has become a safety school.

dumb. lol. please provide all this data you have on IU's academic reputation getting worse. or will it all just be based on USA Today-type rankings, which are tied directly to admissions? lol.

what does Florida's rate of accepting in-state HS students have to do with IU's admissions policies? Just because other schools accept more in-state kids means IU is not trying to get Indiana HS kids admitted? lololol. way to think this one through!

safety school. lol.

Which is absolute bullshit (and the committee last year definitely didn't feel that way) because we were left out of the tournament because we only had 18 wins while a team like St. John's got in with 13 Q3 and Q4 wins (including 3 Q3 losses). They matter.

Be honest, you don't follow IU that closely? By the way, we would have made the tourney if we had 18 wins. We ended the regular season 17-15.

One of his jobs is to act as a steward over the university's reputation - it's how a school draws better students and faculty, and how it increases the value of the iu degree in a very competitive market. sadly, part of that is playing the rankings game: through us news and all the other rags. Is it unfortunate? of course. but it matters. greatly.

you're new to the job market if you think employers are undervaluing undergrad degrees from IU because of a 5-point drop in USA Today. lol.

good stuff. keep it coming!

How much will you like the roster balance if TJD goes pro? Prayer time for IU fans that we don't lose the only stud we have. The Carton kid from Iowa, the Garcia kid from Minnesota.....huge recruiting losses. Yes, Durham & Franklin deserve credit for doing the best they can after being in positions they shouldn't have been in in the first place. 3 years in and the old point guard has recruited 1 point guard.

The salary matters to me because I would expect a higher ROI. This isn't Dayton anymore.

I don't see the urgency and intensity from the guy......after the crap Wisconsin & Nebraska games he talks about how tired the team is....seriously, that's your talking point?

I was happy with him after the Nebraska game for a while because I thought he had benched DG for a couple of his stupid-ass plays. That he was going with a couple of guys who aren't ready, namely Damezi & Franklin, just because he liked how hard they were playing, and was setting an example. Not so much.......
Huge recruiting losses? Kids have many choices of where to play. Expecting every one to attend IU isn't realistic. Painter rarely gets a top recruit. He relies on grad transfers and the second and third tier players. That is the method of someone that doesn't have the ability to recruit elite talent to make their roster competitive. It works for them, but we can do better.

I'll take a transfer if it is a player we would have wanted as a freshman or if we have an open scholarship and they are okay as a role player or having limited playing time. Brunk was a good use of a grad transfer. We had a need and he was someone we had done our homework on and had been able to see play.

We have not lost a game this year due to the lack of a PG or depth. I get it. Archie wasn't your guy. Now that he is here, understand that he is building for the long term and a sense of urgency brings in players like Crean recruited. I like having a mix of solid experience and the burger boys. If TJD leaves early, we will have options available if we need them or Archie may feel good about what we already have committed. I'm not going to worry about next year. I believe TJD will stay, get stronger, work on his right hand, and work on his range. If not, I'm sure Archie has a plan. It won't be a panicked reaction to fill the roster with crap.

Eleven games in, we are 10-1. I'm sure we will lose a few games to give a thrill to you guys wanting to be proven correct. The reality is that most coaches fail at some point and are fired. If you keep complaining and stick with your desire to be correct regardless of the effect on the program, someday you might be able to tell us how smart you were in 2019. I see beyond a bad game at Wisconsin and a difficult game against a team that destroyed a comparable team 2 days later. I'm not wishing Archie to fail like so many are.

Be honest, you don't follow IU that closely? By the way, we would have made the tourney if we had 18 wins. We ended the regular season 17-15.

My point still stands. IU is the only conference to play 20 conference games, meaning we only have 11 non-conference games. As opposed to a school like St. John's, who finished 8-10 in their conference. Had IU gone 19-13 in the regular season beating two additional cupcakes, their in. IU had better wins than St. Johns, stronger SOS, no bad losses, etc.

Maybe you should find a place to lie down and rest. This hasn’t been a good exchange for you.

McRobbie should not be choosing anything except his retirement home.
dumb. lol. please provide all this data you have on IU's academic reputation getting worse. or will it all just be based on USA Today-type rankings, which are tied directly to admissions? lol.

what does Florida's rate of accepting in-state HS students have to do with IU's admissions policies? Just because other schools accept more in-state kids means IU is not trying to get Indiana HS kids admitted? lololol. way to think this one through!

safety school. lol.
IU accepts just over 50 percent Indiana kids. If as you write Indiana kids were its goal it would accept a higher percentage, like fla. the truth is iu is aggressively seaking out of state kids. And it has become a safety school for a lot of kids on the easy coast.

so you haven't thrown in the towel but you're going to post about said towel and how close you are to throwing it in? every day, all day?

the world is on notice. and lucky us. lol.

It wouldn't be a problem if it was just me, hondo.

I said that only because Indy has asked me several times about throwing in the towel, etc. And so I answered that I haven't. And, yeah, I'm well aware that what I think doesn't matter.

That's not the point. We're already looking at an increasing number of empty seats in SSAH, which is just one of the more visible effects of a program struggling to maintain fan and booster support.

IU accepts just over 50 percent Indiana kids. If as you write Indiana kids were its goal it would accept a higher percentage, like fla. the truth is iu is aggressively seaking out of state kids. And it has become a safety school for a lot of kids on the easy coast.

again, you think IU's goal isn't to get Indiana HS kids accepted because Florida is doing it at a higher rate? nuance just isn't your thing, man. but i didn't expect you to consider different rates of tax growth and varying state HS demographics.

it's become a safety school for a lot of kids on the east coast? good data. lol.

It wouldn't be a problem if it was just me, hondo.

I said that only because Indy has asked me several times about throwing in the towel, etc. And so I answered that I haven't. And, yeah, I'm well aware that what I think doesn't matter.

That's not the point. We're already looking at an increasing number of empty seats in SSAH, which is just one of the more visible effects of a program struggling to maintain fan and booster support.

there is an increasing number of empty seats all over college basketball. college kids have different interests, god love them.

For whatever reason, IU went up a # of spots from 2018 to 2019 in the US News ratings.
For several years IU was ranked even with MSU & Iowa....then recently MSU & Iowa
were slightly ahead. Now, for 2019, IU is at #79 (tied), while MSU & iOWA are at #84 (Tied). 4 or 5 years ago the US News ratings were tweaked in ways that cost the large public universities about 10 spots or so in the rankings....it seemed to me that before that IU was generally in the 69-73 range. Back then schools like Illinois & Wisconsin were in the mid to upper 30s.

The '19 rankings for BT schools are:

NW.............9
Michigan....25
Wisconsin..46
Illinois........48
OSU,,,,,,,,,,54
PSU...........57
Purdue.......57
RU.............62
Maryland...64
MInnesota, 70
IU...............79
MSU...........84
Iowa...........84
Nebraska...139

Over the last 5-10 years Minnesota & Nebraska are the schools who have dropped the furthest in the rankings. I remember when Nebraska was at 102, while Minnesota was in the low 50s. It seems to me that Purdue has improved the most. I could be wrong but I think Purdue was in the mid-60s when I first started paying attention to these rankings.

One thing people need to keep in mind...........these rankings are only for undergrad education. I would think that all the BT Us other than Nebraska would be in the top 50 for graduate education.

Edit........I would add that OSU actually has probably had the highest jump over the years...they used to be in the upper 60s/low 70s. I think their enrollment became more selective..........

there is an increasing number of empty seats all over college basketball. college kids have different interests, god love them.

Both the attendance and the atmosphere have deteriorated, other than for special games. There is no enthusiasm for this team among the students. The team is passive, for the most part, although the new guys are an improvement in the attitude department. The coaching staff is business-as-usual and look bored as well.

Reactions: Hoosierific
My point still stands. IU is the only conference to play 20 conference games, meaning we only have 11 non-conference games. As opposed to a school like St. John's, who finished 8-10 in their conference. Had IU gone 19-13 in the regular season beating two additional cupcakes, their in. IU had better wins than St. Johns, stronger SOS, no bad losses, etc.

No, it doesn't. IU would have made the tourney with 3 fewer wins than St. John's and would have been seeded higher. Ohio State, the team who beat us in what was considered a play in game, had 2 fewer wins than St. John's and was seeded slightly higher than them. Florida is another example from last year. They were 19-15, made the tourney, and was seeded higher than St. John's.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. IU would have made the tourney with 3 fewer wins than St. John's and would have been seeded higher. Ohio State, the team who beat us in what was considered a play in game, had 2 fewer wins than St. John's and was seeded slightly higher than them.

IU would have gotten in last year had they’d gone 11-0 in the non-con instead of 2 losses on the road to Duke and Arkansas regardless had they’d beaten Ohio State or not in the B10. That’s my point about discrediting IU’s 10-1 start because # of wins clearly mattered last year. IU has a much stronger resume over St. John’s last year, they just had too many losses.

Archie's job security doesn't rest upon the quirks of a new athletic director or even making the tournament this year. His job security will depend entirely upon whether or not TJD returns for next season. Without an experienced big man fleet of foot next season, Archie is burnt toast and he probably already knows that, hence the look of trepidation. With TJD next season, IU will be in great shape to make some "noise" of clashing cymbals, no less.

It's like the little dutch boy with his finger in the dam......we are finally addressing the shooting & attitude issues next year with some gamers.......losing TJD after missing out on Garcia would put us on the 5 year plan, at best. I do hope that he feels the need to develop a jump shooting game before heading to the NBA. Watching the big men from Illinois, Maryland & Purdue, he's going to get humbled in a few games this year.......

Reactions: abraxis
No, it doesn't. IU would have made the tourney with 3 fewer wins than St. John's and would have been seeded higher. Ohio State, the team who beat us in what was considered a play in game, had 2 fewer wins than St. John's and was seeded slightly higher than them. Florida is another example from last year. They were 19-15, made the tourney, and was seeded higher than St. John's.

I have no idea who's right here, but if it's IndyResident it would be a first.

Reactions: snarlcakes
For whatever reason, IU went up a # of spots from 2018 to 2019 in the US News ratings.
For several years IU was ranked even with MSU & Iowa....then recently MSU & Iowa
were slightly ahead. Now, for 2019, IU is at #79 (tied), while MSU & iOWA are at #84 (Tied). 4 or 5 years ago the US News ratings were tweaked in ways that cost the large public universities about 10 spots or so in the rankings....it seemed to me that before that IU was generally in the 69-73 range. Back then schools like Illinois & Wisconsin were in the mid to upper 30s.

NW.............9
Michigan....25
Wisconsin..46
Illinois........48
OSU,,,,,,,,,,54
PSU...........57
Purdue.......57
RU.............62
Maryland...64
MInnesota, 70
IU...............79
MSU...........84
Iowa...........84
Nebraska...139

Over the last 5-10 years Minnesota & Nebraska are the schools who have dropped the furthest in the rankings. I remember when Nebraska was at 102, while Minnesota was in the low 50s. It seems to me that Purdue has improved the most. I could be wrong but I think Purdue was in the mid-60s when I first started paying attention to these rankings.

One thing people need to keep in mind...........these rankings are only for undergrad education. I would think that all the BT Us other than Nebraska would be in the top 50 for graduate education.

Edit........I would add that OSU actually has probably had the highest jump over the years...they used to be in the upper 60s/low 70s. I think their enrollment became more selective..........

NW.............9
Michigan....25
Wisconsin..46
Illinois........48
OSU,,,,,,,,,,54
PSU...........57
Purdue.......57
RU.............62
Maryland...64
MInnesota, 70
IU...............79
MSU...........84
Iowa...........84
Nebraska...139

iowa has taken a nose dive. they had long been very highly regarded.

Looks disinterested?!? I don’t see that at all. I see a team that strongly wants to win and Archie deserves some credit for that.

Who on this team would you rate as a fierce competitor? The only ones I see are TJD, Phin & Durham and, of those 3, only Durham seems inclined to try to bring the team along with him (at which he appears to be largely ignored). Do you disagree?

IU would have gotten in last year had they’d gone 11-0 in the non-con instead of 2 losses on the road to Duke and Arkansas regardless had they’d beaten Ohio State or not in the B10. That’s my point about discrediting IU’s 10-1 start because # of wins clearly mattered last year. IU has a much stronger resume over St. John’s last year, they just had too many losses.

You're most likely right on IU making the tourney then. The one issue is we don’t have the luxury to go back and pick and choose which difficult games to take away. We also boosted our resume with wins against Marquette and Louisville in the preseason. If you swap out all 4 games, for cupcakes, then I am not sure we make it. I do disagree with our resume being much stronger than St. John's. Both teams were mediocre, which is the norm for bubble teams. I'm mainly pushing back on the notion that the committee doesn’t value quality wins. I think they place a lot on value on them.

Last edited:
Who on this team would you rate as a fierce competitor? The only ones I see are TJD, Phin & Durham and, of those 3, only Durham seems inclined to try to bring the team along with him (at which he appears to be largely ignored). Do you disagree?
What makes you think only those three are “fierce competitors?” I see a team that fights for rebounds and hustles on the floor. I see players that appear to support each other and a team that wants to win. I see people here that look at the same thing and apparently see it differently.

You're most likely right on IU making the tourney then. The one issue is we don’t have the luxury to go back and pick and choose which difficult games to take away. We also boosted our resume with wins against Marquette and Louisville in the preseason. If you swap out all 4 games, for cupcakes, then I am not sure we make it. I do disagree with our resume being much stronger than St. John's. Both teams were mediocre, which is the norm for bubble teams. I'm mainly pushing back on the notion that the committee doesn’t value quality wins. I think they place a lot on value on them.

IU had more
-Q1 wins
-better non-conference wins
-stronger non-conf SOS
-stronger SOS
-no bad losses (St. John's 3 Q3 losses)

agreed wholeheartedly that both teams were mediocre, but with IU playing 2 less non-conference games than St. John's, St. John's was able to pad their winning total with an easier non-conference schedule. I believe that an IU team that would have finished 19-13 that would have played and beat two lesser non-conference opponents would have gotten in over a 21-12 St. John's team even if IU lost to Ohio State in the BTT. IU squandered their chance in the de-facto play-in game and they have nobody to blame but themselves, but I don't think IU's 7 cupcake wins are as meaningless as people think. I believe had IU gone 11-0 in the non-con last year beating two cupcakes instead of playing quality teams like Duke or Arkansas, we're in. It's basically why Ohio State got in. They had a very poor non-conference schedule but only won one more game yet still got in the tournament despite going 8-12 in conference.

I don't disagree that the committee doesn't value quality wins, but when you beat MSU x2, Louisville, Marquette, Wisconsin and don't get in while St. John's gets in by beating 12 Q3 and Q4 teams it makes you wonder.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT