ADVERTISEMENT

Fred to retire, Archie on the clock

I'd much rather have Archie coaching his guys, in his system, in the culture that he created in year 4 than somebody else starting over from scratch. You know, because that has worked so well for us the last 20 years.
If we would replace Archie, we would get another coach like him. They might run a different defense or have a new style of offense, but the abilities and potential isn't going to be better.

Archie has the respect of the state high school coaches. Former players support him. A new coach has to earn the trust of the coaches and build trust with the former players. If you don't think that is important, listen to the interview with Lander on Calbert Cheaney watching his game with Archie. Having Oladipo on campus and on the sideline is a reminder of the legacy and success of the program. Those banners are connected to living people that support Archie and it is good to have the players see that.

Archie can coach. He isn't Tom Crean and offering scholarships like Santa passing out candy canes at Christmas. People expecting a repeat of Crean need to watch and let the process continue.

“Actual facts bitch slapped me?” You cited no facts. Here are facts that took me less than a minute to find. US News rankings:

IU 2008 ranked 71
IU 2009 ranked 71

IU 2018 ranked 89
IU 2019 ranked 90

IU Law 2009 ranked 23
IU Law 2019 ranked 34.

Football 0 bowls in that 2009-2019 period.

Basketball 4 tournament appearances in that decade.

Sports and academics not a good decade under mcrobbie. Facts....

I'm really trying to avoid entering this debate because it's absolutely vapid and clear that there's not much higher ed knowledge or expertise presented anywhere here, but if you're going to argue about these profoundly stupid things, at least be accurate about the profoundly stupid things.

IU's 2019 US News rank is #79 among national universities (not 90), a 10 spot improvement from 2018 but remaining lower than 2008.

For a little extra context, Purdue comes in at 57 but because of ties at several rankings levels, only 6 spots actually separate IU and Purdue. Rankings brackets come in at 57-64-70-74-77-79. In reality, here's not much daylight between institutions within 25, 30, or more spots of each other.

Most folks don't realize how much work needed to be done to repair a long neglected academic foundation at IU. It's taken McRobbie time, but he's generally very, very well respected as a leader in higher education, and the transformational nature of his presidency has started getting attention. IU is much healthier and in much better shape as a result of his presidency, and the next president will start off with a much stronger Iu than any new IU president in the last 30-40 years.

His reputation in the field is well-characterized here: https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-a-Low-Profile-Leader-Made/244779

I'm really trying to avoid entering this debate because it's absolutely vapid and clear that there's not much higher ed knowledge or expertise presented anywhere here, but if you're going to argue about these profoundly stupid things, at least be accurate about the profoundly stupid things.

IU's 2019 US News rank is #79 among national universities (not 90), a 10 spot improvement from 2018 but remaining lower than 2008.

For a little extra context, Purdue comes in at 57 but because of ties at several rankings levels, only 6 spots actually separate IU and Purdue. Rankings brackets come in at 57-64-70-74-77-79. In reality, here's not much daylight between institutions within 25, 30, or more spots of each other.

Most folks don't realize how much work needed to be done to repair a long neglected academic foundation at IU. It's taken McRobbie time, but he's generally very, very well respected as a leader in higher education, and the transformational nature of his presidency has started getting attention. IU is much healthier and in much better shape as a result of his presidency, and the next president will start off with a much stronger Iu than any new IU president in the last 30-40 years.

His reputation in the field is well-characterized here: https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-a-Low-Profile-Leader-Made/244779

i think the 79 ranking was for the 2020 magazine, but i could be wrong. regardless, the years under mcrobbie's stewardship saw the rankings fall as low as 90 and considerably worse than what iu had been prior to his arrival. and if what you write maybe he inherited an untenable situation and it's not his fault. i too agree the rankings are subjective, but unfortunately the perception created is meaningful. i have a senior in high school and believe me the students and their college counselors are painfully aware of the rankings. and again i too think they're bs. but they matter. a 15-20 slot slide in the rankings over a decade makes a school look like it's on the decline. students see iu falling year after year up until this year in the magazines, not in bowl games, not in the ncaa tournament, and it creates a perception.

if what you write is accurate that iu is much healthier now i'm glad to hear it. it's a very special place. my generation came to iu when knight had the basketball program relevant, the law school was universally considered a top 25 law school, the entire school was buzzing. now among the kids in our area it's not the sexy choice anymore. anyway onward and upward.

Are we discussing ED rankings?

Reactions: hondo314
I actually feel sorry for him. He’s posted 10s of thousands of times under multiple handles on here, which is weird. Deep down I’m sure he is a sweetheart. You just have to unpack all that hurt.

He can be a real jerk...but he’s on his assessment of your lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT