ADVERTISEMENT

Flush it

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
It’s just who this team is. I’m sure we’ll bounce back either against Michigan or in the BTT.

Just gotta hope we don’t lay an egg early in the NCAAs now. And hope we don’t draw an 11 or 12 seed that has good guards that like to bomb from the outside.

This team could win a few games in a row in the NCAAs or get smoked in the 1st game.

Exciting, I guess….

Reactions: .Gerdis
Figured some kind of mild letdown was bound to happen and the fast Iowa start didn’t exactly shock me, but for them to lay down for almost the full 40 minutes is pretty infuriating. IU made it a 24-20 game midway through the 2nd half and then both TJD and JHS came out of the game and Iowa blew it back open for good. Still puzzling we do that ourselves given the massive drop off in personnel after those two.

But in all honesty though, Michigan was my bigger concern of the two games this week. Michigan has squarely played themselves back on the bubble and a win Sunday likely puts them in the field. IU needs to come out with their hair on fire Sunday because Michigan is not a team you want to have hang around with their season on the line.

Bigger picture, loss potentially bumps IU from a 4 to 5 seed in the dance, but not anywhere close to the doom and gloom 7 or 8 seed line some of our crack smoking fans have been suggesting in other threads. Biggest disappointment is this loss all but eliminates IU from double-bye contention in the BTT and IU is going to have to play an unnecessary opponent a day early in Chicago. Lose to Michigan and then a team like Nebraska or Penn St Thursday then yeah, we may be looking at a potential 7 seed.

I feel like this game was an attiude and effort game, and Iowa had both way more than IU. Iowa simply played harder. It didn't hurt that they couldn't miss on offense. But, I feel like they still would have beat IU's ass without the offensive explosion. They just played harder, knew what they were doing, and did it from the tip.

The Big Ten was up for grabs this year, and IU was just a day late and a dollar short a few too many times.

While there is no excuse for being embarrassed on your home floor like that..... in the grand scheme it's rather inconsequential. We didn't show up. At all.

Move on and beat Michigan

It’s just who this team is. I’m sure we’ll bounce back either against Michigan or in the BTT.

Just gotta hope we don’t lay an egg early in the NCAAs now. And hope we don’t draw an 11 or 12 seed that has good guards that like to bomb from the outside.

This team could win a few games in a row in the NCAAs or get smoked in the 1st game.

Exciting, I guess….
that turd is too big to flush. good teams don't lose games like that late in the season with so much on the line. mentally weak team, watching Mich st dismantle an improving Nebraska team on the road that's how good teams close out seasons.

that turd is too big to flush. good teams don't lose games like that late in the season with so much on the line. mentally weak team, watching Mich st dismantle an improving Nebraska team on the road that's how good teams close out seasons.
Outside some recent exceptions, Izzo is just about as good a coach as there is at getting his team to peak heading in to postseasons.

We have a generally good team. We’re just very, very inconsistent. One of the most reliable things about Woodson coached IU teams is they’re inconsistent.

What exactly was on the line outside a slim chance of possibly splitting a B10 championship? IU isn’t a bubble team nor are they in contention for a 1 seed, what exactly was lost by this? Getting embarrassed on your home court isn’t a good thing, that I agree, but in the grand scheme of things too many are blowing this loss out of proportion.

Outside some recent exceptions, Izzo is just about as good a coach as there is at getting his team to peak heading in to postseasons.
self Izzo Pitino it's what the great ones do. everyone here was laughing at UK just a couple weeks ago, watch them make a nice run, Cal has them playing.

What exactly was on the line outside a slim chance of possibly splitting a B10 championship? IU isn’t a bubble team nor are they in contention for a 1 seed, what exactly was lost by this? Getting embarrassed on your home court isn’t a good thing, that I agree, but in the grand scheme of things too many are blowing this loss out of proportion.
double bye in BTT, finishing the season with great momentum. a better seed in the big dance. I guess why we should even show up Sunday. based on what you're saying , that game actually doesn't mean shit now

Figured some kind of mild letdown was bound to happen and the fast Iowa start didn’t exactly shock me, but for them to lay down for almost the full 40 minutes is pretty infuriating. IU made it a 24-20 game midway through the 2nd half and then both TJD and JHS came out of the game and Iowa blew it back open for good. Still puzzling we do that ourselves given the massive drop off in personnel after those two.

But in all honesty though, Michigan was my bigger concern of the two games this week. Michigan has squarely played themselves back on the bubble and a win Sunday likely puts them in the field. IU needs to come out with their hair on fire Sunday because Michigan is not a team you want to have hang around with their season on the line.

Bigger picture, loss potentially bumps IU from a 4 to 5 seed in the dance, but not anywhere close to the doom and gloom 7 or 8 seed line some of our crack smoking fans have been suggesting in other threads. Biggest disappointment is this loss all but eliminates IU from double-bye contention in the BTT and IU is going to have to play an unnecessary opponent a day early in Chicago. Lose to Michigan and then a team like Nebraska or Penn St Thursday then yeah, we may be looking at a potential 7 seed.
I think 6 is likely the farthest we’d drop. But maybe 7th yeah. Stinks that’s even a possibility.

But in the big scheme, it’s much more about which IU team shows up than our seeding. I guess falling to a 7 seed brings teams like UCLA in to play for round of 32. And we could play well and still lose to some of the 2 seed level teams. So that’s kind of a big deal. But this team could very easily lose to a 12 seed…or very easily beat any of the potential 3 seeds. So any seed we get 4-6, if we play well, we’ll win both the first 2 round games. If we don’t, we’ll lose, probably in the 1st round.

Reactions: dr.jb
I think 6 is likely the farthest we’d drop. But maybe 7th yeah. Stinks that’s even a possibility.

But in the big scheme, it’s much more about which IU team shows up than our seeding. I guess falling to a 7 seed brings teams like UCLA in to play for round of 32. And we could play well and still lose to some of the 2 seed level teams. So that’s kind of a big deal. But this team could very easily lose to a 12 seed…or very easily beat any of the potential 3 seeds. So any seed we get 4-6, if we play well, we’ll win both the first 2 round games. If we don’t, we’ll lose, probably in the 1st round.
I'd rather be an 11 seed and have confidence than a 6 seed and have no idea what to expect. tonight, just verified what I thought this team isn't going very far.

You don't drop from a 3/ 4 to a 6/7 in one game..

Do you guys watch other college basketball, beyond IU?

double bye in BTT, finishing the season with great momentum. a better seed in the big dance. I guess why we should even show up Sunday. based on what you're saying , that game actually doesn't mean shit now
Did I actually ever say that? You said so much was lost because so much was on the line tonight? I don’t buy that. Likely fell from a 4 seed to a 5 seed in both the BTT and the NCAAT, in the grand scheme of things that’s not much.

Exciting, I guess….
Iowa is no joke.

You don't lose at home against Iowa by 22 and call Michigan the bigger concern. RMK would knock you on your face for saying that.

You don't drop from a 3/ 4 to a 6/7 in one game..

Do you guys watch other college basketball, beyond IU?
I think he’s saying a 6 is the furthest we’d drop if this team loses Sunday and 1R of BTT. I would agree with him.

But there are other posters in other threads suggesting that IU went from a 4 to a 7/8 just on tonight’s loss alone, that’s preposterous.

we absolutely sucked tonight, but at least we know we're in

unlike the past five seasons

so there's that

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Did I actually ever say that? You said so much was lost because so much was on the line tonight? I don’t buy that. Likely fell from a 4 seed to a 5 seed in both the BTT and the NCAAT, in the grand scheme of things that’s not much.
I agree and it doesent really matter at all with the parity in ncaa hoops. 4/5/6/7. Its all about who you match up with.

You don't lose at home against Iowa by 22 and call Michigan the bigger concern. RMK would knock you on your face for saying that.
After the Purdue game, beating Michigan (I thought) would have been the more daunting task simply due to the fact that Michigan is playing for their tournament lives and could ill-afford to lose anymore games. Wouldn’t have mattered who IU’s opponent was with the way this team showed up tonight. We’ll lose by 22 Sunday with the same effort and energy.

And yet Izzo's team shit its pants last weekend and blew a double-digit lead to this same Iowa team -WITH LESS THAN A MINUTE TO GO. Probably costing his team a double-bye in the BTT. Your memory is pretty selective.

Reactions: rocketo
I think he’s saying a 6 is the furthest we’d drop if this team loses Sunday and 1R of BTT. I would agree with him.

But there are other posters in other threads suggesting that IU went from a 4 to a 7/8 just on tonight’s loss alone, that’s preposterous.

I mean that was a brutal night. Dropped to 26 on Kenpom (from 20).

This team isn't that good. Other than the right kind of matchups

Reactions: dr.jb
I mean that was a brutal night. Dropped to 26 on Kenpom (from 20).

This team isn't that good. Other than the right kind of matchups
This team is better than you want to give credit too, but yeah they aren’t talented enough to not show up and bring it every night. Case in point tonight.

This team is better than you want to give credit too, but yeah they aren’t talented enough to not show up and bring it every night. Case in point tonight.

I've given up predicting what this team will do on any given night. They will either look like gold or dog turds

While there is no excuse for being embarrassed on your home floor like that..... in the grand scheme it's rather inconsequential. We didn't show up. At all.

Move on and beat Michigan
Well to have any shot a top 4 bye they have to beat Michigan period so that is it.

Kids who are earning more in NIL compensation than many/most of us here earn in salary, and many of whom have aspirations to earn much more as professional players. “Kids playing a game” ends after high school in my book, especially with NIL.
And?

And yet Izzo's team shit its pants last weekend and blew a double-digit lead to this same Iowa team -WITH LESS THAN A MINUTE TO GO. Probably costing his team a double-bye in the BTT. Your memory is pretty selective.
that was on the road and they led the whole game that was a fluky finish that might happen 1 out of 200 games, we got spanked on our home court not comparable

What is most disappointing is that this team has demonstrated that they can compete and excel but lack the mental focus, and sometimes effort, to win consistently.

Its as though they are content to let TJD do the heavy lifting and occasionally some others rise to the occasion when needed.

Kopp and Galloway are role players who often go above and beyond their intended roles and they need others to follow suit.

IU has to develop a mindset that they are going to compete all 40 minutes with guys that want the ball and to take it to the hoop before its too late. There’s really no excuse for the Iowa game at AH. They weren’t prepared to compete physically or mentally. I think they are better that what theyve shown and need to demonstrate it each game.

Rant over. Now back to your regularly scheduled bball debate.

that was on the road and they led the whole game that was a fluky finish that might happen 1 out of 200 games, we got spanked on our home court not comparable
My point was that it happens on occasion even to the best of coaches. And certainly there is a learning curve with Woodson. Not necessarily in knowing and understanding the college game as some here so confidently profess, but in knowing and understanding 18-22 year old college kids. That takes some time but isn't unattainable. MW has spent his entire life after his playing career working with grown men playing basketball as a means of earning a living. It's a whole different thing.

My point was that it happens on occasion even to the best of coaches. And certainly there is a learning curve with Woodson. Not necessarily in knowing and understanding the college game as some here so confidently profess, but in knowing and understanding 18-22 year old college kids. That takes some time but isn't unattainable. MW has spent his entire life after his playing career working with grown men playing basketball as a means of earning a living. It's a whole different thing.
every team has an off night. just disappointing to have one this time of year. what you're saying about an NBA mentality may be true, the best teams still lose 20-25 games a year, shake it off and play the next night, Playoffs they take it to another level but those are series normally the best team wins. After Sunday every game is win or your done, can't go far in those settings with an inconsistent team.

Kids who are earning more in NIL compensation than many/most of us here earn in salary, and many of whom have aspirations to earn much more as professional players. “Kids playing a game” ends after high school in my book, especially with NIL.

MW has spent his entire life after his playing career working with grown men playing basketball as a means of earning a living. It's a whole different thing.
Coach Woodson has experience coaching pro players in the NBA. He also played at IU, but things are vastly different now in collegiate athletics with NIL, transfer portal, early NBA entrants, etc.

Basketball is basketball, but we have a team of human beings and dealing with all of those other factors (managing egos, conflicting self interests, outside influences, etc.) is a challenge, and something he will need to grow into if he is going to be successful here.

Saturday at W. Laffy this IU team played the second half like the '87 team against Seiklay and Syracuse. The Iowa loss Tuesday was more like the IU loss to Syracuse in 2013 when Cody, Dipo, and Hulls couldn't solve the zone defense. Which team will show up at tourney time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT