ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck to MN

Well, I'm certainly not a blind follower of Glass, who simply hasn't demonstrated that he's up to the job, and I realize that puts me in the minority here.

You're right, the die is cast, and we'll see if dismissing the guy who's built the program to respectability in favor of a promising defensive coach with no college head coaching experience pays off.
I too think Glass is not right for the job. We will underperform in football and basketball as long as he is responsible for staffing decisions.

It was never said that nothing was found. Some things were substantiated as far as verbal abuse of injured players. Is that why he was let go? I have no idea. It's quite clear you don't either but just want to stir the pot. My opinion is that it was multiple issues coupled with the fact that we continually lost games we should not have. As far as Fleck is concerned, I doubt he or anyone else was contacted.

If you read the information distributed there were two investigations. The first identified issues that were discussed from a performance management standpoint. Glass subsequently felt the need to investigate again based upon information he had and apparently found enough to act.

Those familiar with performance management in large organizations...particularly those that receive public funding or are publicly traded Will recognize the process.

I too think Glass is not right for the job. We will underperform in football and basketball as long as he is responsible for staffing decisions.
And just think, if he weren't here, Tracy Smith would still be here coaching for free leading us to 15 CWS titles after turning down every SEC and PAC12 team! Stupid Fred.

Reactions: oldcougar77
If you read the information distributed there were two investigations. The first identified issues that were discussed from a performance management standpoint. Glass subsequently felt the need to investigate again based upon information he had and apparently found enough to act.

Those familiar with performance management in large organizations...particularly those that receive public funding or are publicly traded Will recognize the process.

I'm not a business guy so I don't have any idea what you just said. My background is in science and mathematics so I like to deal in facts. The facts in this case are few and far between. This allows for a large number of scenarios to be true, some in total opposition. Time to move on. Those who continually bash the administrative position are most likely just opposed to the university as a whole since they ignore all evidence on the other side. However we got here I like the direction we are headed. Wilson was an important mark on the trail but we have passed it and are looking farther down the road.

I'm not a business guy so I don't have any idea what you just said. My background is in science and mathematics so I like to deal in facts. The facts in this case are few and far between. This allows for a large number of scenarios to be true, some in total opposition. Time to move on. Those who continually bash the administrative position are most likely just opposed to the university as a whole since they ignore all evidence on the other side. However we got here I like the direction we are headed. Wilson was an important mark on the trail but we have passed it and are looking farther down the road.
We don't know the facts so let's walk away faster and hope this all just goes away? And anyone who questions that is a disloyal malcontent who never liked IU anyway? Not much science or math in that.

The IU Athletic Department receives neither public funding (tax payer funding) nor is it publicly traded.

We don't know the facts so let's walk away faster and hope this all just goes away? And anyone who questions that is a disloyal malcontent who never liked IU anyway? Not much science or math in that.

I guess the point is that we will probably never know the facts. That may have been part of the resignation agreement, that both parties say nothing. Unless you have some major pull with the university, much like with Crean, what we say on an internet board has no bearing on the real world.

So trying to figure out or constantly questioning what actually happened is like trying to figure out women. It will just give you a headache and you will be no closer to your goal!!! :)

Combined with the fact that those most disturbed by the dismissal of Wilson are also those that have been calling for his head for many years.

Combined with the fact that those most disturbed by the dismissal of Wilson are also those that have been calling for his head for many years.
Why do you say that? And isn't it more truthful that Wilson's biggest supporters have quickly buried him in favor of Allen?

...much like with Crean, what we say on an internet board has no bearing on the real world.

So trying to figure out or constantly questioning what actually happened is like trying to figure out women. It will just give you a headache and you will be no closer to your goal!!!
Figuring out women is easier than than Crean's substitutions.

Reactions: DANC
Why do you say that? And isn't it more truthful that Wilson's biggest supporters have quickly buried him in favor of Allen?

I say it because it's true. Wilson is gone and I don't know what there is to do about it other than erecting a statue. Glass has put his fate in Allen's hands so we'll see how it plays out, but there is a lot to like in how it is going so far.

I say it because it's true. Wilson is gone and I don't know what there is to do about it other than erecting a statue. Glass has put his fate in Allen's hands so we'll see how it plays out, but there is a lot to like in how it is going so far.
It's true, yet you have no proof? Hard to understand how many people have thrown Wilson under the bus after how much he did for IU football.

The IU Athletic Department receives neither public funding (tax payer funding) nor is it publicly traded.

Fred Glass is an employee of Indiana University and subject to attendant policy and procedure let alone good management practices.

Hope that helps.

Yep. Due process appears to have been followed. The situation is disappointing but hopefully the best days are ahead for all involved.

Fred Glass is an employee of Indiana University and subject to attendant policy and procedure let alone good management practices.

Hope that helps.
I agree. No argument with that, thoug his lack of detail in respect of Wilson's departure was still self serving lay vague, very likely because he would've struggled to offer a reasonable explanation. I'm merely concerned with his lack of competence regarding his job performance, specifically with his poor record of hiring and supervising coaches. Hope that helps.

Yep. Due process appears to have been followed. The situation is disappointing but hopefully the best days are ahead for all involved.
Due diligence wasn't an issue, per se, given that a settlement satisfactory to both parties was achieved. Much like commentary regarding public company or taxpayer funded entities, it's really inapplicable to this situation.

Due diligence wasn't an issue, per se, given that a settlement satisfactory to both parties was achieved. Much like commentary regarding public company or taxpayer funded entities, it's really inapplicable to this situation.

Due diligence is exactly what created the situation where KW quietly accepted a fraction of his buyout. Not difficult to understand.

Due diligence is exactly what created the situation where KW quietly accepted a fraction of his buyout. Not difficult to understand.
That's obviously possible, but certainly not verifiable or even very likely. The far greater probability, given the investigations that basically yielded nothing, was Wilson's desire to get away from a boss who lacked the knowledge to adequately run the department that included the football program. If he's headed to Ohio State, as is alleged, he'll have the opportunity to again experience competent leadership. This seems like a divorce where both parties were happy with the result.

I agree. No argument with that, thoug his lack of detail in respect of Wilson's departure was still self serving lay vague, very likely because he would've struggled to offer a reasonable explanation. I'm merely concerned with his lack of competence regarding his job performance, specifically with his poor record of hiring and supervising coaches. Hope that helps.

FG is bound by not only policy but ethics and the separation agreement itself to be very vague regarding the situation. We don't have to be attorneys to understand this.

Reactions: 82hoosier
That's obviously possible, but certainly not verifiable or even very likely. The far greater probability, given the investigations that basically yielded nothing, was Wilson's desire to get away from a boss who lacked the knowledge to adequately run the department that included the football program. If he's headed to Ohio State, as is alleged, he'll have the opportunity to again experience competent leadership. This seems like a divorce where both parties were happy with the result.

FG paying KW a year's salary when he was resigning in order to get away from all this incompetence is 0% probability.

I do agree that coaching at O$U will likely be more condusive to KW's style.

Yes, Wilson wanted away from Glass so bad that he was willing to walk away from a $2.5M salary to take a coordinator position for less than half that, or essentially a total amount in the ballpark of 6-8 million, gotcha

FG paying KW a year's salary when he was resigning in order to get away from all this incompetence is 0% probability.
Yes, Wilson wanted away from Glass so bad that he was willing to walk away from a $2.5M salary to take a coordinator position for less than half that, or essentially a total amount in the ballpark of 6-8 million, gotcha
Sometimes these boards read like Breitbart or Zero Hedge.

Oh, I think many ambitious people will go to some length to distance themselves from incompetence. At some point, you determine that certain people are such impediments to winning that you realize success is nearly impossible. Wilson likely understood that it was only a matter of time before Glass got him, so he cut the best deal he cut the best deal he could and got out while the gettin' was still somewhat good. As I said earlier, it appears to be a divorce where both parties are pleased with the result.

If you go back and read the Indianapolis Star articles about this event, you would find that what you call "the investigations" were conducted by a very well respected law firm and that their report yielded plenty. You can't overlook abuse of injured players.

If you go back and read the Indianapolis Star articles about this event, you would find that what you call "the investigations" were conducted by a very well respected law firm and that their report yielded plenty. You can't overlook abuse of injured players.
I thought Glass specifically said that the investigations failed to reveal any a use of injured players. Would you please link his comments to the contrary? And if he did abuse injured players, why would you offer him such a favorable settlement?

I thought Glass specifically said that the investigations failed to reveal any a use of injured players. Would you please link his comments to the contrary? And if he did abuse injured players, why would you offer him such a favorable settlement?

Favorable settlement? He got next to nothing. It's quite normal to just pay them some money and send them on their way, see Kelvin Sampson.

I will see what I can do to resurrect what Glass said, but the Indy Star articles laid the situation out in detail. You would find those helpful to evaluating the situation. As far as the abuse allegations go, that goes back to a player from the Cincinnati area whose family first pursued the matter through Anthony Thompson. After the family went public, according to the Star, several other players came forward. As far as the settlement went, CKW got one year of base pay which was not to be offset by any compensation from another employer but further compensation was limited.

I will see what I can do to resurrect what Glass said, but the Indy Star articles laid the situation out in detail. You would find those helpful to evaluating the situation. As far as the abuse allegations go, that goes back to a player from the Cincinnati area whose family first pursued the matter through Anthony Thompson. After the family went public, according to the Star, several other players came forward. As far as the settlement went, CKW got one year of base pay which was not to be offset by any compensation from another employer but further compensation was limited.
I believe Glass was emphatic in stating that the investigations yielded no evidence of player abuse. I would think he'd have been fired for cause and he'd have walked away with nothing.

I believe Glass was emphatic in stating that the investigations yielded no evidence of player abuse. I would think he'd have been fired for cause and he'd have walked away with nothing.
If you would be kind enough to share what you are relying on for what Glass may have said, please do so. As far as fired for cause goes, the terms of CKW's employment agreement would have governed the results of that. Since most of my employment was in private industry I share your sentiment, but the world of athletic employment is a different world.

Geez guys, this isn't complicated. Glass wanted to replace Wilson with Allen, so he took all the necessary steps to make it happen. Meanwhile, other programs are trying to win football games. Glass wears a Burger King crown at work now.

Oh, I think many ambitious people will go to some length to distance themselves from incompetence. At some point, you determine that certain people are such impediments to winning that you realize success is nearly impossible. Wilson likely understood that it was only a matter of time before Glass got him, so he cut the best deal he cut the best deal he could and got out while the gettin' was still somewhat good. As I said earlier, it appears to be a divorce where both parties are pleased with the result.

If the department is that badly run, why is the rest of the staff staying on, particularly Frey and McCullough who could easily make just as much money at higher profile programs.

Reactions: DANC
If the department is that badly run, why is the rest of the staff staying on, particularly Frey and McCullough who could easily make just as much money at higher profile programs.
There are Many reasons not to move your family...but if you choose to believe that the handling of the off court incidents and the huge disparity in budgets weren't an issue, go ahead and believe what you want. I know what I've heard from folks who work there and from someone who makes large donations

Last edited:
There are Many reasons not to move your family...but if you choose to believe that the handling of the court inidents and the huge disparity in budgets weren't an issue, go ahead and believe what you want. I know what I've heard from folks who work there and from someone who makes large donations

To me if Wilson had an issue with budgets (very plausible), it was an annoyance with the University/fans/boosters as a whole that didn't seem to care that much about football.

To me if Wilson had an issue with budgets (very plausible), it was an annoyance with the University/fans/boosters as a whole that didn't seem to care that much about football.
The entire Dept had a problem with the budget, it was seen as disrespectful to the other sports. Everyone knows the hoops is king but many people feel as though it's gotten out of hand under Glass/TC

If you were a coach being told that the Dept wa strapped only to find out one if your sports had the highest budget in the country, how would you feel? Especially with the sport having mid level results along with an embarrassing number of off court incidents shining a poor light on the entire Dept

There are Many reasons not to move your family...but if you choose to believe that the handling of the off court incidents and the huge disparity in budgets weren't an issue, go ahead and believe what you want. I know what I've heard from folks who work there and from someone who makes large donations
Wilson and his staff just got huge raises a year ago, have been allowed to add numerous positions to the program, receive facility upgrades every year, and are getting a $53 million stadium expansion and renovation. All for peaking at 6-7. I'm thrilled with the progress of the program, but that's a lot of good stuff for 0 winning seasons.

What, specifically, was Wilson not allowed to do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT