ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck to MN

Odd move by an up and coming star. Why not hold out another year for a better offer? He must not have much faith they could do it again next year. Taking the money while it's there.

Odd move by an up and coming star. Why not hold out another year for a better offer? He must not have much faith they could do it again next year. Taking the money while it's there.

I don't know, while he's a highly thought of prospect, his resume is pretty light, I don't think he's going to get offers from top tier programs. Almost all top tier programs are hiring guys with head coaching experience in at least an AAC if not power 5 level team. The few exceptions have been guys like Kirby Smart that were coordinators at top programs for many years.

Also, as long as Fleck can prevent mass defections/transfers, he's starting out with a reasonably solid team,

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
I don't see it as such an odd move. I think Minny is a pretty solid program with a lot of recent success and a good foundation (assuming the recent scandal doesn't blow up into a program killer). Kill and Claeys were outstanding coaches so the returning players are capable of continuing that success. In addition, I think the B1G west is wide open with only Wisconsin as a major obstacle. I would consider the Minnesota job a very good one unless there is the need for major housecleaning among the players or mass transfers by players over Claeys' removal.

I'm not familiar with Western Michigan's situation as far as returning talent but it seems fairly common that success in the MAC is cyclical. Teams tend to play young players for a couple of years and build toward a year or two where they have lots of three-year starters and are heavy on upperclassmen. Then they get back to rebuild mode. Look at Ball State in the past several years and you see this pattern. Maybe Fleck is worried that a couple of down years might diminish his opportunities.

Then again, he may just see an opportunity to coach a B1G program, a nice bump in pay and benefits, in a climate and environment similar to where he has been. I'm not a huge fan of Minnesota winters but otherwise the Twin Cities has a lot to offer.

The craziest part is Les Miles whiffs on all 18 coaching searches. That's quite the resume to hold and not be able to get ANY job.

Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big 12 Conference) (2001–2004)
2001 Oklahoma State 4–7 2–6 5th (South)
2002 Oklahoma State 8–5 5–3 T–3rd (South) W Houston
2003 Oklahoma State 9–4 5–3 3rd (South) L Cotton
2004 Oklahoma State 7–5 4–4 5th (South) L Alamo
Oklahoma State: 28–21 16–16
LSU Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2016)
2005 LSU 11–2 7–1 1st (Western) W Peach 5 6
2006 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Sugar† 3 3
2007 LSU 12–2 6–2 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2008 LSU 8–5 3–5 3rd (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2009 LSU 9–4 5–3 2nd (Western) L Capital One 17 17
2010 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 8 8
2011 LSU 13–1 8–0 1st (Western) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2012 LSU 10–3 6–2 T–2nd (Western) L Chick-fil-A 12 13
2013 LSU 10–3 5–3 3rd (Western) W Outback 14 14
2014 LSU 8–5 4–4 T–4th (Western) L Music City
2015 LSU 9–3 5–3 T–3rd (Western) W Texas 17 16
2016 LSU 2–2 1–1 (Western)
LSU: 114–34 62–28
Total: 141–55

The craziest part is Les Miles whiffs on all 18 coaching searches. That's quite the resume to hold and not be able to get ANY job.

I'm guessing that he was just asking for an absolute truckload of money. He still has $9 million owed to him from LSU over the next 3 years, which likely goes away if he takes another job. So taking a contract of $3 million a year is him effectively working for free. He'd probably need the contract to be at least $4 million a year for it to worth his time. Hell, I could see him asking for $5 million

Just out of curiosity. If IU was open, which candidate would you rather have? Fleck? Or Miles?

Just out of curiosity. If IU was open, which candidate would you rather have? Fleck? Or Miles?
Fleck all day. And if Minnesota, with their issues, could get him, wasn't it worth Glass's time to call him or his rep when Wilson was fired and gauge his interest? Maybe he declines and maybe Allen will be successful, but why not determine whether he would be interested?

Fleck would have been great for IU. I like Allen but I hope we at least made a run at PJ.

Fleck all day. And if Minnesota, with their issues, could get him, wasn't it worth Glass's time to call him or his rep when Wilson was fired and gauge his interest? Maybe he declines and maybe Allen will be successful, but why not determine whether he would be interested?
How do know he didn't?

I am inclined to think that our coaching change was more about keeping Allen than firing Wilson. With seemingly no recent major incident surfacing to point to the immediate need to fire Wilson, I get the sense (supported by a couple of very credible people connected to the athletic department) that Fred Glass was really disturbed by the prospect of losing TA. Given that an ugly parting with Wilson was probably going to eventually take place, Glass felt the need to act now to keep the guy he felt was really needed to lead the football program.

I don't think other people were considered because this really wasn't about finding a replacement for KW. It was about finding a way not to lose Tom Allen.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins

I don't think he whiffed, I think he was just being selective. I doubt he is going to take anything below and elite program and he's probably asking for a lot of $. Much better to sit out a year than take a dead end job. He'll be back.

Didn't he fire Wilson and hire Allen in the same morning? Doesn't sound like there was much time to even make a few phone calls, let alone conduct a search. I think it's obvious Fleck didn't hear from IU.
True. And it's a shame. He should've at least been contacted

I am inclined to think that our coaching change was more about keeping Allen than firing Wilson. With seemingly no recent major incident surfacing to point to the immediate need to fire Wilson, I get the sense (supported by a couple of very credible people connected to the athletic department) that Fred Glass was really disturbed by the prospect of losing TA. Given that an ugly parting with Wilson was probably going to eventually take place, Glass felt the need to act now to keep the guy he felt was really needed to lead the football program.

I don't think other people were considered because this really wasn't about finding a replacement for KW. It was about finding a way not to lose Tom Allen.
You're probably right, though I wonder why Glass felt the need to create an issue that didn't exist in order to justify what he was doing? Not a very smart of ethical way to run the show, and every coach there should be concerned that it could happen to them, too.

I will never understand why a significant chunk of our fans think that every top up and coming coaching candidate is dying to come here.
I don't understand why some of our fans think so little of our program when it comes to getting coaches but belittle anyone who criticizes the team during the season

I will never understand why a significant chunk of our fans think that every top up and coming coaching candidate is dying to come here.
Who said he was dying to come here? I only see people suggesting he should've received a call. In everything in life...if you don't ask you won't receive.

Minnesota isn't a much better job IMO. Especially right now.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
I compare this move similar to Urban Meyer going from Bowling Green to Utah.

If Fleck can get Minny to a Rose Bowl or in contention, the big name schools will come knockin' with big $$$$$$$$$.

B1G West just got tougher today.

Reactions: DANC and turney333

If Fleck can get Minny to a Rose Bowl or in contention, the big name schools will come knockin' with big $$$$$$$$$.

It'll be interesting to see how his antics will work in the B1G.

Didn't he fire Wilson and hire Allen in the same morning? Doesn't sound like there was much time to even make a few phone calls, let alone conduct a search. I think it's obvious Fleck didn't hear from IU.
No, he didn't. First of all, he didn't fire Wilson. Wilson resigned. Secondly, we don't have any idea how long things were in the works. We only know when it was announced. When something is announced and when it happens aren't always the same time, especially when you have an obviously negotiated contract situation. For all we know, Wilson agreed to resign two weeks before and Glass was searching in the meantime and waited until he could settle on Allen to announce it.
I don't know that that's the case but to imply that he woke up on Thursday morning, called Wilson to tell him to resign, then immediately called Allen to offer him the job is just silly. It clearly didn't all happen on the same day.

Reactions: CC Mac and DANC
No, he didn't. First of all, he didn't fire Wilson. Wilson resigned. Secondly, we don't have any idea how long things were in the works. We only know when it was announced. When something is announced and when it happens aren't always the same time, especially when you have an obviously negotiated contract situation. For all we know, Wilson agreed to resign two weeks before and Glass was searching in the meantime and waited until he could settle on Allen to announce it.
I don't know that that's the case but to imply that he woke up on Thursday morning, called Wilson to tell him to resign, then immediately called Allen to offer him the job is just silly. It clearly didn't all happen on the same day.
I'm only following the various media reports, Allen's post hiring comments, and Glass's statements which confirmed that the firing / hiring occurred in a very compressed time frame (the same morning). It was also confirmed , as I understood it, that only Allen was considered for the vacant position. If you know differently, I think we'd all be interested in your inside scoop but since all indications are that it transpired as I described it, there's nothing to suggest that Fleck was contacted. If he was, however, there's a little sting that he'd dismiss IU's overtures so quickly out of hand yet just as quickly agree to be the Gopher's coach (based on current media reports).

It'll be interesting to see how his antics will work in the B1G.
Not coming after you, but please explain what antics? I just see a high energy guy and yeah I guess "row the boat" is a bit cheesy, but I see nothing else wrong with him. If he rubs other coaches the wrong way, so be it kick his ass then. bellichick is a prick, think he cares nobody likes him

I'm only following the various media reports, Allen's post hiring comments, and Glass's statements which confirmed that the firing / hiring occurred in a very compressed time frame (the same morning). It was also confirmed , as I understood it, that only Allen was considered for the vacant position. If you know differently, I think we'd all be interested in your inside scoop but since all indications are that it transpired as I described it, there's nothing to suggest that Fleck was contacted. If he was, however, there's a little sting that he'd dismiss IU's overtures so quickly out of hand yet just as quickly agree to be the Gopher's coach (based on current media reports).
It was obviously a compressed time frame but compressed and same day are not the same thing and, again, announcements and negotiations/decisions are not necessarily made at the same time.
It leaked out that Wilson was being let go in the morning. So you're saying Glass made a decision, consulted with his superiors, got agreement from them (without them knowing ahead of time), contacted Wilson to let him know and propose his resignation buyout, Wilson then consulted with his attorney (he would have been a fool not to), made his decision, told Glass, signed the resignation, Glass then decided on Allen, got approval from his superiors, drew up a contract, offered it to Allen, Allen then considered it, consulted with attorneys (he'd be a fool not to), accepted and signed the contract all in, like, an hour?
The ink may have been put to paper on Thursday morning but it's foolish to think that it wasn't in the works for at least a couple days with all parties knowing full well what was happening. Since the second investigation took place in early November, it's likely Glass knew what he was going to do for a couple weeks. The highest profile and highest paid employees at large bureaucratic universities don't get hired or let go in a matter of minutes and it doesn't happen without lots of consultation with high ranking officials and council, especially when it involves letting someone go under the cloud that is currently hanging over Wilson.
Did he contact Fleck? I don't know. Probably not but you don't know that he didn't and the timing of the announcement of Allen's hiring is almost zero indication one way or another.

It was obviously a compressed time frame but compressed and same day are not the same thing and, again, announcements and negotiations/decisions are not necessarily made at the same time.
It leaked out that Wilson was being let go in the morning. So you're saying Glass made a decision, consulted with his superiors, got agreement from them (without them knowing ahead of time), contacted Wilson to let him know and propose his resignation buyout, Wilson then consulted with his attorney (he would have been a fool not to), made his decision, told Glass, signed the resignation, Glass then decided on Allen, got approval from his superiors, drew up a contract, offered it to Allen, Allen then considered it, consulted with attorneys (he'd be a fool not to), accepted and signed the contract all in, like, an hour?
The ink may have been put to paper on Thursday morning but it's foolish to think that it wasn't in the works for at least a couple days with all parties knowing full well what was happening. Since the second investigation took place in early November, it's likely Glass knew what he was going to do for a couple weeks. The highest profile and highest paid employees at large bureaucratic universities don't get hired or let go in a matter of minutes and it doesn't happen without lots of consultation with high ranking officials and council, especially when it involves letting someone go under the cloud that is currently hanging over Wilson.
Did he contact Fleck? I don't know. Probably not but you don't know that he didn't and the timing of the announcement of Allen's hiring is almost zero indication one way or another.
I'm sure Glass had been working up to it for at least several weeks if not more, as the investigations were clearly his way of ratcheting up the heat on Wilson to push him out one way or the other. I also know he's been less than candid with the fan base about his reasoning, which we've come to expect from him and which allows for unsubstantiated speculation like yours to occur.

I'm just lamenting the fact that he obviously didn't reach out to Fleck or conduct any kind of search, which seems incredibly reckless, though not surprising. I doubt he's well equipped to conduct such a quick search anyway. Either that or Fleck told him no quickly, which I'm sure would've been the case. Too bad for IU, but I hope Allen works out.

I'm sure Glass had been working up to it for at least several weeks if not more, as the investigations were clearly his way of ratcheting up the heat on Wilson to push him out one way or the other. I also know he's been less than candid with the fan base about his reasoning, which we've come to expect from him and which allows for unsubstantiated speculation like yours to occur.

I'm just lamenting the fact that he obviously didn't reach out to Fleck or conduct any kind of search, which seems incredibly reckless, though not surprising. I doubt he's well equipped to conduct such a quick search anyway. Either that or Fleck told him no quickly, which I'm sure would've been the case. Too bad for IU, but I hope Allen works out.
He's been "less than candid" because he's trying to protect the University. That's fairly obvious. My speculation is not any less substantiated than yours. All I've done is read, then apply common sense and an understanding of university process. This didn't happen "same day" as you're alleging and you have no idea who Glass reached out to or when. You may be right about Fleck but your reasoning is off base.

He's been "less than candid" because he's trying to protect the University. That's fairly obvious. My speculation is not any less substantiated than yours. All I've done is read, then apply common sense and an understanding of university process. This didn't happen "same day" as you're alleging and you have no idea who Glass reached out to or when. You may be right about Fleck but your reasoning is off base.
Glass is the one who claimed it happened same day, so I was just taking him at his word. And I understand he was protecting IU, which is often necessary, especially when you're actively looking for ways to terminate someone. He also made it clear that Allen was his guy from the get go, so common sense says he didn't make any effort to contact Fleck, who I'm sure would've quickly turned him down. All water under the bridge now.

You don't think he came in at 8 in the morning and fired Wilson and then decided to hire Allen, do you?

Reactions: RBB89
You don't think he came in at 8 in the morning and fired Wilson and then decided to hire Allen, do you?
Yeah Glass said they had been having meetings for a few weeks.

How is Minnesota not a better job than IU?

I think Glass knew what he was going to do but Wilson likely didn't and Allen acknowledged he didn't. But the issue was why Glass didn't try to contact Fleck or conduct any kind of search.

Do you know who recruited Allen to IU?

That's what Glass said. He lied to save face for everyone involved.
Exactly what do you mean when you say "That's what Glass said"? What I read in the local Bloomington press and the Indianapolis Star as well as their online offerings the day everything happened reported that he met with Wilson at 8:30 and Allen at 10. There were no intimations of lies or misdealings, and IU disclosed that there was an investigation by a prominent law firm before the action was taken. Afterwards the events of player abuse surfaced. Specifically what lies do you attribute to Glass?

Urban Meyer coached at Bowling Green and Utah, in that order. You were saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT