ADVERTISEMENT

Fischer on Dakich saying private money is what bought Archie out

I will give Alford something, he's a really good recruiter. He had tons of great talent at UCLA, but obviously UCLA thought he underachieved since he was fired. Is it going to be any different just because INDIANA is on the front of the jersey?

I will give Alford something, he's a really good recruiter. He had tons of great talent at UCLA, but obviously UCLA thought he underachieved since he was fired. Is it going to be any different just because INDIANA is on the front of the jersey?

UCLA recruits itself and Sweet Sixteen's grown on trees there. Check their past coaches and compare that to what Steve delivered there. Its not impressive.

I'm not going to spend a lot of energy arguing for or against and candidate, though I have my favorites. I read Dolson's statement and it gives me confidence IU is in good hands. I haven't felt like that for a long time.

Last edited:
I'm not going to spend a lot of energy arguing for or against and candidate, though I have my favorites. I read Wilson's statement and it gives me confidence IU is in good hands. I haven't felt like that for a long time.

Wilson's statement?

I think you could have put out a few coffee cans for donations at the Big Ten Tourney game against Rutgers and had the buyout PDQ.
This sentiment isn't wrong. I was at Kilroy's before the Rutgers game, in Lucas Oil during and at Kilroy's again after. The level of frustration over Archie is monumental compared to how we felt at the end of Crean's tenure, honestly.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Wont be Alford...too much negative Baggage. Do not forget that at both Iowa and UCLA there were hints of scandal. Has not won anywhere at any place near what IU fans will demand of their next coach, realistic or not. Nothing personal against him but just a bad choice imo.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Wont be Alford...too much negative Baggage. Do not forget that at both Iowa and UCLA there were hints at scandal. Has not won anywhere at any place near what IU fans will demand of their next coach, realistic or not. Not personal against him but just a bad choice.
Exactly. Anyone who follows basketball understands what you'd be getting with Alford. I understand older IU fans will romanticize "bringing Alford home," but that would be an awful decision that would set the program back even further. Among Tom Crean, Archie Miller, Mike Davis and Steve Alford, give me Crean every time.

They may be...btw, I never said that was my choice. If rich donors give 10mil they probably also gave their 2 cents on who'd they like to replace Archie. They've gone away from anything associated with coach Knight for 20+ years. I can see them trying something different this time.
Scott probably only had to come up with $3.3 million or so to cover the year. Archie will go find work and reduce the buyout, or IU will have a legal defense to not pay the entire buyout.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ponduke
Exactly. Anyone who follows basketball understands what you'd be getting with Alford. I understand older IU fans will romanticize "bringing Alford home," but that would be an awful decision that would set the program back even further. Among Tom Crean, Archie Miller, Mike Davis and Steve Alford, give me Crean every time.
I wanted cream gone in the worst way. The grass is not always greener lol 😂! Thinking back on some of his teams vs Archie’s, and it’s night and day. Crean really did get some good players.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I wanted cream gone in the worst way. The grass is not always greener lol 😂! Thinking back on some of his teams vs Archie’s, and it’s night and day. Crean really did get some good players.
Most coaches worth half their salt get some good players. It’s all about how the skills of those players interact with those other pieces, such that the sum is greater than the individual parts. Plus, it helps not to be too clap-happy or overzealous in tongue wagging. Chewing gum in excessive wad is to be scorned, too. It denotes a state of nervousness. Never let them see you sweat!

Most coaches worth half their salt get some good players. It’s all about how the skills of those players interact with those other pieces, such that the sum is greater than the individual parts. Plus, it helps not to be too clap-happy or overzealous in tongue wagging. Chewing gum in excessive wad is to be scorned, too. It denotes a state of nervousness. Never let them see you sweat!
The last 2 guys did a lot of in-game instruction, more suited for the practice floor than when it counted. In-game coaching (riding the hot players, clever use of timeouts to name a few) and roster-building are things that a great coaches are masters of, and are key to a winning program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Not likely. Steve will expect us to pay it for him, just like we did with Miller.
We haven't "paid" anything to Miller because what he is owed can't be calculated yet. Lawyers, man. The part that is clear is that whatever the amount will be, private donors will cover it.

I would assume those donors want their money's worth and expect them to bring in a great coach.
This can’t be real. I have it on high authority that Archie gets another year because of Covid and we want to wait til the buyout drops. Have you not been reading the board?

I believe he is talking about the money owed BY Alford if he left.
You might be right. That part of the buyout escaped me in my euphoria. If this is an issue, then it will indeed lay to rest the "Alford to IU" idea.

You’re 100% right that most coaches get some good talent. But if you look at Archie’s recruits the only two who’ve been any good are Romeo and TJD. They’re the only two that I think could even start on some of creans rosters. I think it really shows how far we’ve fallen

We haven't "paid" anything to Miller because what he is owed can't be calculated yet. Lawyers, man. The part that is clear is that whatever the amount will be, private donors will cover it.
You misunderstand. We paid Miller to get out of his contract with Dayton when we hired him 4 years ago. Steve would expect us to pay the 10mil he'd owe Nevada if he quits to come here.

That's perhaps a reason we won't hire Alford.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
You misunderstand. We paid Miller to get out of his contract with Dayton when we hired him 4 years ago. Steve would expect us to pay the 10mil he'd owe Nevada if he quits to come here.

That's perhaps a reason we won't hire Alford.
Yeah, I missed that. I posted a mea culpa above.

Which would be offset by his next salary, just like Miller's will be. J/S...

That is not how a buyout typically works. When a school fires a coach, future salary often offsets what the coach was paid when the contract was terminated. However, when a coach terminates the contract, that money is paid to the school and is not subject to being offset by future earnings.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Alford is not a candidate per Steve Alford.

Of course he would say that. He has to. I'm sure he was asked about it by their beat writers 5 seconds after the news broke. He'll stay committed to them up until the point he's being introduced as IU's coach. (if that were to happen)

Reactions: Upset Alert
Really? Davis took IU to the ship. Crean looked surprised when Syracuse came out in a zone.

This can’t be real. I have it on high authority that Archie gets another year because of Covid and we want to wait til the buyout drops. Have you not been reading the board?

Not to mention that dolson is too weak to pull the trigger and IU leadership is dead set on sticking with Archie to maintain mediocrity.

Also the alumni could care less about basketball and no one pressured the AD.

I learned all this from the village idiot.

Alford has a $10M buyout at Nevada.
No how, no way will Alford be our next coach.
It's $6M right now and drops to $4M on July 1.

Both of those are still more than he's worth to bring in so I don't see IU paying that much for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT