ADVERTISEMENT

First Year Coach with all new players,

Problem is that didn’t happen today. IU has been a punch line for 20 years now.
Not entirely. There have been a few glimmers of hope sprinkled in. Otherwise this very hangout would’ve closed shop for lack of interest.

It truly is shocking. No other way to say it. A once proud program reduced to a punchline.
Problem is that didn’t happen today. IU has been a punch line for 20 years now.
Not entirely. There have been a few glimmers of hope sprinkled in. Otherwise this very hangout would’ve closed shop for lack of interest.
Glimers of hope have been the exception. Plenty of programs have had good, consistent programs over that time. IU used to be one of them. But now we just settle for the occasional decent season.

People like you accepting that type of mediocrity is precisely why IU is where they are today.
I don't think TR32 is saying anything of the sort. It's simply a fact there haven't been 20 straight years of this same crud we're getting now. We are in a particular bad way currently.

Reactions: mohoosier
With a losing record, marches in and totally dominates the last 25 minutes of game time in Assembly Hall. Just ridiculous!!!

Another disastrous display of 3 point shooting and defending the 3.
It was a classic case of a small lineup beating a big lineup. Almost ALL coaches would have responded with a smaller lineup in the 2nd half to try to counter it. Not Woodson.

To be fair, the only small guys are walkons. He somehow forgot to get any guards this year.
By small, I mean - only 1 of Reneau or Ware on the court at the same time. Everybody else can reasonably guard the perimeter. We’ve played our best defense with only 1 of them on the court. The Iowa game for example. We needed to match up to their smaller lineup because they were drilling us.

By small, I mean - only 1 of Reneau or Ware on the court at the same time. Everybody else can reasonably guard the perimeter. We’ve played our best defense with only 1 of them on the court. The Iowa game for example. We needed to match up to their smaller lineup because they were drilling us.
Ok. I get that. Let's say Ware is on the court. What other 4 guys do you put out there with him?

Ok. I get that. Let's say Ware is on the court. What other 4 guys do you put out there with him?
Any of the other guys (who are playing best at the time) who have been in the rotation lately except for Sparks. Guys who can guard the perimeter to reduce the penetration and open 3 point shots. With at least 1 of Walker or MM in the game to help rebound. More MM than Walker. I’m not saying never play Ware and Malik together. But sometimes you have to if you are getting pounded with a small lineup. Like today in the 2nd half. Our best defensive games might have been Illinois and Iowa, when only one of them was on the court.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Any of the other guys (who are playing best at the time) who have been in the rotation lately except for Sparks. Guys who can guard the perimeter to reduce the penetration and open 3 point shots. With at least 1 of Walker or MM in the game to help rebound. More MM than Walker. I’m not saying never play Ware and Malik together. But sometimes you have to if you are getting pounded with a small lineup. Like today in the 2nd half. Our best defensive games might have been Illinois and Iowa, when only one of them was on the court.
Again, who? Leal, Trey, Gunn? Then what do you do when they need a break? When you leave an open scholly, have another guard out for the season, and a third guard who can't stay healthy, there just aren't many options.

I'm not at all opposed to doing what you're saying, he just f-ed the roster up so bad that he can't do it now.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I still can’t figure out how Sparks was All MAC or whatever. He becomes unable to maintain his balance once a basketball is in his hands.

Again, who? Leal, Trey, Gunn? Then what do you do when they need a break? When you leave an open scholly, have another guard out for the season, and a third guard who can't stay healthy, there just aren't many options.

I'm not at all opposed to doing what you're saying, he just f-ed the roster up so bad that he can't do it now.
We played a small lineup the last 2 games. Illinois without Ware. And most of the Iowa game without Malik. And those were probably our best 2 defensive games of the year. So go back and watch those games if you can’t understand what I am talking about.

We played a small lineup the last 2 games. Illinois without Ware. And most of the Iowa game without Malik. And those were probably our best 2 defensive games of the year. So go back and watch those games if you can’t understand what I am talking about.
:) Just can't do it, can you? Bro, I'm not mad...we've all been traumatized by this crapfest.

Not true. IU was 2nd in the conference last year with a first team All American.
Seriously? I get that you're looking for glass half full, but IU was TIED for 2nd at 12-8 in a terribly weak B1G where they earned a 4 seed. As a 2nd place team.

In good years, the 2nd place B1G team is a 2 seed.

Our league's 1 seed from last year loses in the first round, of course. And IU, as a 4 seed, got blitzed in the round of 32. And make no mistake, IU is beating Miami 0/10 times if that game is played 10 times. And Miami was a 5 seed.

The B1G was awful last year.

IU wasn't a good team at all last year. You're trying to put lipstick on a pig. Our one absolute star (who still couldn't hit a shot outside of 5 feet) covered up for a lot of problems on that roster.

People like you accepting that type of mediocrity is precisely why IU is where they are today.
I don't accept mediocrity. I just stand up for my university.

You seem to not have any recollection of being the #1 overall seed in 2013 or winning the Big Ten outright in 2016. You probably don't remember being ranked in the top 25 nearly all season LAST YEAR.

I still can’t figure out how Sparks was All MAC or whatever. He becomes unable to maintain his balance once a basketball is in his hands.
He is totally under utilized on this team. He needs space to work in the paint. If Sparks was the 5 with Mgbako and McNeely as dual wings, add a true combo guard from the portal, then, say Gallo as the other, he would do fine.

But for sure, he is not as good as Ware or Reneau so he isn't needed much.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I don't accept mediocrity. I just stand up for my university.

You seem to not have any recollection of being the #1 overall seed in 2013 or winning the Big Ten outright in 2016. You probably don't remember being ranked in the top 25 nearly all season LAST YEAR.
Lmao #1 seed. Is that where your standards are? 1 seed then ran off the floor in Sweet 16 and you’re happy. Good grief.

Better than this shit show.
The idea that *this* program is somehow too good to accept those results is laughable.

IU has been completely irrelevant for a *quarter century* with about three exceptions — so hell yeah I’d take a season like that now.

EDIT. I said a quarter century, but that’s inaccurate. It’s 30 years now.

The idea that *this* program is somehow too good to accept those results is laughable.

IU has been completely irrelevant for a *quarter century* with about three exceptions — so hell yeah I’d take a season like that now.

EDIT. I said a quarter century, but that’s inaccurate. It’s 30 years now.
Maybe. When you spend top-5 NIL $ in the country and have the biggest athletic dept budget for bball in the B1G, it seems like our fans should expect top results.

But, IUBB has been ruined by the admin, politics, and bad coaches for 25-30 years. Even big $ won’t fix this core issue.

With a losing record, marches in and totally dominates the last 25 minutes of game time in Assembly Hall. Just ridiculous!!!

Another disastrous display of 3 point shooting and defending the 3.
And what hope do any of us have that it will change? Be honest. Will a "better roster" happen and would it matter? Would one good shooting guard really change anything? Would Woody suddenly adopt an outside-in offense? Would he suddenly create opportunities or run sets for this "shooter"? Will he retain Ware, Malik and Mgbako? X is gone (awesome) and a couple of transfers into the portal and guess what? We'll have a brand new "young" team again next year.

Will anything change with this regime? Will things improve? Will we start winning? If anyone on here believes so, then please list your reasons why? I'm at a loss.

Maybe. When you spend top-5 NIL $ in the country and have the biggest athletic dept budget for bball in the B1G, it seems like our fans should expect top results.

But, IUBB has been ruined by the admin, politics, and bad coaches for 25-30 years. Even big $ won’t fix this core issue.
There’s what the fans want/demand/expect, and then there’s what is actually a successful season given what this program now is, after all this time.

The two don’t necessarily overlap.

There’s what the fans want/demand/expect, and then there’s what is actually a successful season given what this program now is, after all this time.

The two don’t necessarily overlap.
The fans don’t expect much — usually pretty happy to make the tournament and win a game. Look how full AH has been this year for an awful team.

I don’t think the long history of sucking precludes us from quickly being good again. We have more NIL than all but about five programs, we can buy the best players. The portal moves players faster. Other teams have got good quickly.

I suspect our admin and AD will not get a coach that takes advantage of all our resources. To me that’s why we are chronically bad.

Pick the right coach next time. And if that coach is good enough and lucky enough - it can turnaround very fast. And all that other shit won’t matter. And you do need some luck in the portal-NIL world that is basically free agency every year.

Pick the right coach next time. And if that coach is good enough and lucky enough - it can turnaround very fast. And all that other shit won’t matter. And you do need some luck in the portal-NIL world that is basically free agency every year.
Build around a core, and use the portal/recruits to fill gaps. This is what the last two coaches failed at and Woody is following right along. In management they call it being reactive, but in reality there’s only one style of management - proactive.

In order to do this though you have to develop the talent you have and they must improve. Otherwise you have Bates, Geronimo, Banks and Gunn type players that are pissed off they’re not playing and aren’t good enough to play, extended minutes anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT