ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL 5 MINUTES OF PURDUE GAME: CLOSING TIME

aajohn2000

All-American
Apr 12, 2012
North Carolina
So I went back and watched the end of the Purdue game and noted the possession by possession outcome of each team. Here is the summary:

Score with 5:05 Remaining
- IU 67 / Purdue 65

Total Possessions
- IU 10
- Purdue 10

FG's
- IU 4-7
- Purdue 4-6

Turnovers
- IU: 1
- Purdue: 3

Free Throws
- IU: 4-4
- Purdue: 1-2

Offensive Rebounds
- Purdue: 2
- IU: 2

2nd Chance Pts
- Purdue: 0

Total Points
- IU: 12
- Purdue: 9

Final
- IU 79
- PU 74

Players
Trey Galloway, JHS and Race Thompson had all the points down the stretch for IU with 4, 6 and 2 respectively. Race contributed 2 offensive rebounds and one huge steal. Combined they were 4-5 in fg's and 4-4 from free throws with RT and TG each hitting two of two.

For Purdue, it really was the desperation Edey show. He had 4 of their 9 points, all inside the final minute. Loyer and Smith each had nice drives and buckets at the basket and Furst hit 1-2 from the line.

What really stands out to me was it really took a virtual perfect game for IU to win. Credit to them for doing just that. As Coach Knight has said, victory favors the team with the fewest mistakes. We made fewer mistakes in crunch time and we executed when we had to. Tip of the hat to PU for forcing us to play our best to beat them and we did just that.

Last edited:
So I went back and watched the end of the Purdue game and noted the possession by possession outcome of each team. Here is the summary:

- IU 77 / Purdue 65

Total Possessions
- IU 10
- Purdue 10

FG's
- IU 4-7
- Purdue 4-6

Turnovers

Free Throws

Offensive Rebounds

2nd Chance Pts

Total Points

Players
Trey Galloway, JHS and Race Thompson had all the points down the stretch for IU with 4, 6 and 2 respectively. Race contributed 2 offensive rebounds and one huge steal. Combined they were 4-5 in fg's and 4-4 from free throws with RT and TG each hitting two of two.

For Purdue, it really was the desperation Edey show. He had 4 of their 9 points, all inside the final minute. Loyer and Smith each had nice drives and buckets at the basket and Furst hit 1-2 from the line.

What really stands out to me was it really took a virtual perfect game for IU to win. Credit to them for doing just that. As Coach Knight has said, victory favors the team with the fewest mistakes. We made fewer mistakes in crunch time and we executed when we had to. Tip of the hat to PU for forcing us to play our best to beat them and we did just that.
67-65 @ 5 minute mark.

and I wouldn't say a near perfect game for us. A near perfect first half, but we allowed them to creep almost all the way back in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. IL was closer to a near perfect game I thought, or at least we sustained our effort better for the entire game.

Reactions: IUgradman
67-65 @ 5 minute mark.

and I wouldn't say a near perfect game for us. A near perfect first half, but we allowed them to creep almost all the way back in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. IL was closer to a near perfect game I thought, or at least we sustained our effort better for the entire game.
Coming out of half we had to pull back a bit on the defense as the fouls were mounting. We toof three ill advised threes and missed them all, Trey took two from deep in the corner. Pu hits three treys and the lead is gutted just like that.

How many times over the past six years would we have lost a game like that?

All of them.

Interesting fact: Jackson-Davis did not score any of IU's last 16 points (over the final 10:55 mins)

Reactions: T.M.P.

- IU 77 / Purdue 65

Total Possessions
- IU 10
- Purdue 10

FG's
- IU 4-7
- Purdue 4-6

Turnovers

Free Throws

Offensive Rebounds

2nd Chance Pts

Total Points

Players

Offensive rebounds don't count as possessions.

I've watched the second half two or three times now. If OP believes our Hoosiers played a "perfect game", you are nuts.

That second half on both ends was very very average bball by IU while Edey was having a nearly perfect game for them.

First half wasn't perfect by IU either, just off the top of my head you had Banks miss an easy bunny at the rim and the front end of the one and one. Should have been up 20+ at the half imo.

Reactions: IUgradman

- IU 77 / Purdue 65

Total Possessions
- IU 10
- Purdue 10

FG's
- IU 4-7
- Purdue 4-6

Turnovers

Free Throws

Offensive Rebounds

2nd Chance Pts

Total Points

Players

Am I missing something? How could the score possibly be IU 77 - Purdue 65 with 5:05 remaining?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT