ADVERTISEMENT

Fife Gone

that would be an elite 1,2 coaching staff no school in the country could better, and RW, along with MW, would have recruiting cred with prospects that would be tough to top.
Uh, I’m a Wittman fan. But I don’t see how that increases recruiting cred too much. Most high school and AAU coaches are too young to remember Wittman as a player. Like Woodson, he could sell his NBA knowledge as a player and coach if that is what you mean. But Wittman isn’t well known these days.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
Things I’ve read on other forums.

1. DF is a know-it-all, a rather unbearable bright young thing.
2. He leaks program info.
3. Dolson forced DF on MW.
4. DF has downplayed NIL.
5. He offered a recruit after being told not to.
6. The HS coaches in the state don’t like him.
Looking at most of those....if they're true, how on earth did he last at MSU for 10 years?

NIL is a new thing, so that probably wouldn't have factored. Neither would the circumstances of his hiring -- whether CMW wanted him or was consulted.

But all the rest of those? If that's how he operates as an assistant, he'd never have lasted with Izzo. Offering a scholarship to a recruit after being told not to? Seriously? I can't believe he'd do that. If he did, I'm surprised he wasn't fired on the spot.

Looking at most of those....if they're true, how on earth did he last at MSU for 10 years?

NIL is a new thing, so that probably wouldn't have factored. Neither would the circumstances of his hiring -- whether CMW wanted him or was consulted.

But all the rest of those? If that's how he operates as an assistant, he'd never have lasted with Izzo. Offering a scholarship to a recruit after being told not to? Seriously? I can't believe he'd do that. If he did, I'm surprised he wasn't fired on the spot.
7. Never landed a single recruit.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Uh, I’m a Wittman fan. But I don’t see how that increases recruiting cred too much. Most high school and AAU coaches are too young to remember Wittman as a player. Like Woodson, he could sell his NBA knowledge as a player and coach if that is what you mean. But Wittman isn’t well known these days.
Yasir Rosemond and Kenya Hunter are clearly the two lead recruiters on-staff and appear to be pulling their weight much more than Fife. Fife was never the lead recruiter at MSU and always more of a prep/scout, in-game type coach. I would take Witmann's X and O knowledge over Fife's.

Also a Whitman fan. I don't know about recruiting (we seem to be doing okay there with little apparent contribution from Fife), but Randy can teach the game. Saw that when he was at the Wizards. Wouldn't have minded him as HC, love to see him as an assistant if he's willing.

Reactions: brianiu

Part of it may have been Izzo just knew how to manage Fife and put him in his place.

Also as far as "leaking" information, it might just be that Fife has always run his mouth to people, but at MSU, Fife was lucky that the people he talked to were smart enough to not pass it on to the public (*cough* rabjohns *cough*).

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I bet there is a very real chance Randy Whitman is the new assistant coach hired as Woodson has been taking a ton of advice from him since the start of the year. This directly contradicts your once again negative and ever sky is falling viewpoint of Indiana basketball.

Wittman. Yeah, like that would make any of us feel more positive about all of this.

Also a Whitman fan.
My0zODUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

He did that on Dans show too. I think Fife might’ve had to much diarrhea of the mouth. Most of the stuff coming out likely came from his own yap. If I’m in the IU program I’m staying as far away from the “look at me” types. Dan and Fife are way to close for Woodys liking i presume.
Bingo.

Also a Whitman fan. I don't know about recruiting (we seem to be doing okay there with little apparent contribution from Fife), but Randy can teach the game. Saw that when he was at the Wizards. Wouldn't have minded him as HC, love to see him as an assistant if he's willing.

everyone sees how famous a guy is to recruits, but i'm guessing CMW and RW both have huge connections fans never see.

hard to see RW coming here as an assistant, but would be great if he did.

This was handled in a very, very bad way to make Fife look as bad as possible. Could not have been handled worse.
Agreed. IU’s AD should have been leaking about DF over a longer period of time so that the fans could begin to accept what was going to happen. All this revealed about DF being a wrecker in one day is head spinning.

Agreed. IU’s AD should have been leaking about DF over a longer period of time so that the fans could begin to accept what was going to happen. All this revealed about DF being a wrecker in one day is head spinning.

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not?

It would have been better to intentionally leak there was friction between staff during the season? I can’t think of anything more unprofessional nor worse optics.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
No one handles a termination of an alum like this. It’s bush league.
the closest thing to something negative said about Fife is that he wasn’t the right fit.

Also, highly plausible that Fife wouldnt want to agree to a statement along the lines “mutually agreed to part ways” and was like “if you want to fire me, then fire me”

the closest thing to something negative said about Fife is that he wasn’t the right fit.

Also, highly plausible that Fife wouldnt want to agree to a statement along the lines “mutually agreed to part ways” and was like “if you want to fire me, then fire me”

Exactly. Leave it to the resident Purdue fan to explain how things should have gone down.

I thought they had a game this week?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not?

It would have been better to intentionally leak there was friction between staff during the season? I can’t think of anything more unprofessional nor worse optics.
Yes, it would have been better, if done with a clear purpose and without scruple. Undermine, lay the groundwork in the public mind, politically isolate, and by the end you’ll have everyone who’s reasonable concluding in unison this couldn’t have gone any other way.

What you’re seeing today is amateur hour.

And “professional” doesn’t enter into it, at all. Not if it’s gone about right and thoroughly. Knives out, not propriety.

On JMV, Rabjohns more or less said that Dane didn't want to leave.

Yes, it would have been better, if done with a clear purpose and without scruple. Undermine, lay the groundwork in the public mind, politically isolate, and by the end you’ll have everyone who’s reasonable concluding in unison this couldn’t have gone any other way.

What you’re seeing today is amateur hour.

And “professional” doesn’t enter into it, at all. Not if it’s gone about right and thoroughly.
Wow, such insight for literally not knowing any of the real details.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Wow, such insight for literally not knowing any of the real details.
Thank you.

I’m just explaining how this should have been done.

DF was apparently a cancer on our program and this could have been managed better, yes; but if I’m the IU AD, I’m still likely reasonably pleased how public opinion has turned against him in a matter of hours.

Really it hasn’t been all for naught.

Yasir Rosemond and Kenya Hunter are clearly the two lead recruiters on-staff and appear to be pulling their weight much more than Fife. Fife was never the lead recruiter at MSU and always more of a prep/scout, in-game type coach. I would take Witmann's X and O knowledge over Fife's.
I was replying to another poster who said that Wittman would increase our recruiting cred. Please try to keep up.
Of course Wittman knows X and O better than Fife. And I would be fine with Wittman as an assistant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT