ADVERTISEMENT

FEMA

I personally would have rather stayed here and added riding out a hurricane to my list of experiences, but my daughter was freaking out and it spooked my wife.

What the hell - I'm retired. I don't have to be anywhere.

We got caught in a boondoggle back in 2014 when Odile suddenly changed path and B-lined to Cabo...

Storm-Track-1-600x521.jpg

Cat 4 or 5 when it blew directly over us one Sunday night and totally trashed the place. Pitch black and HOT all night. Doors slamming shut as the wind blew through the hotel and reeked havoc outside. Gunfire and shit outside. Total chaos.

No power for a week. No way up the peninsula to San Diego because the roads were washed out. Took a car up to La Paz and hung out there for the week, but it was powerless as well. No cell, no A/C, no nothing. 😄 We spent the day and nights hoping for power, boozing...and other stuff that Americans with cash would do in a situation like that.

By Day 5 the water tank on the top of the hotel was empty, and with no power, plumbing was getting "marginal". We'd been eating street food all week. One of the cabbies told us the ferry to Los Mochis was opening back up the next day, so we hesitantly decided to make the run. Ditched all of our "American shit", including golf clubs, and dressed like shlubs. One of the guys with us's old man owned a mining company in with mines in Sinaloa, and his Head of Ops had been kidnapped, ransomed, and decapitated 6 months before. :oops:

We took the 8 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez, and got there at like 2 in the AM. They had cell service there, so we got our buddy in San Antonio whose parents retrofit private jets to send one down to Los Mochis at like 4 in the morning. Hired a Suburban to drive us to the airport, figured our chances were 50/50 on getting ratted out to the cartel.

Get to the airport and there's like this 22 year old Purdue kid they sent down nervously polishing the wing waiting to get his plane stolen. Loaded up, did the flight path maze, got to Del Rio, did customs at 6am with a couple Texas Rangers that ****ed with us for an hour, and made it back to Dallas Love by about 9am.

I had a conference in Vegas I was late to, so wife picked me up with suits, headed over to commercial, and made my afternoon meetings at the Cali Mortgage Bankers Association Conference. 😄

Or, did they think the States of Florida, NC etc. had the right to demand the feds to control who is flying into a disaster zone?

After all, it could have been silly people like FoxNews, CNN or The Weather Channel getting in the way of legitimate emergency efforts to get a good camera angle.

Maybe you think Musk should get a free pass?
Maybe I think Musk is interested in saving lives and not dealing with the bureaucracy that hinders the effort.

Reactions: Lucy01
We got caught in a boondoggle back in 2014 when Odile suddenly changed path and B-lined to Cabo...

Storm-Track-1-600x521.jpg

Cat 4 or 5 when it blew directly over us one Sunday night and totally trashed the place. Pitch black and HOT all night. Doors slamming shut as the wind blew through the hotel and reeked havoc outside. Gunfire and shit outside. Total chaos.

No power for a week. No way up the peninsula to San Diego because the roads were washed out. Took a car up to La Paz and hung out there for the week, but it was powerless as well. No cell, no A/C, no nothing. 😄 We spent the day and nights hoping for power, boozing...and other stuff that Americans with cash would do in a situation like that.

By Day 5 the water tank on the top of the hotel was empty, and with no power, plumbing was getting "marginal". We'd been eating street food all week. One of the cabbies told us the ferry to Los Mochis was opening back up the next day, so we hesitantly decided to make the run. Ditched all of our "American shit", including golf clubs, and dressed like shlubs. One of the guys with us's old man owned a mining company in with mines in Sinaloa, and his Head of Ops had been kidnapped, ransomed, and decapitated 6 months before. :oops:

We took the 8 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez, and got there at like 2 in the AM. They had cell service there, so we got our buddy in San Antonio whose parents retrofit private jets to send one down to Los Mochis at like 4 in the morning. Hired a Suburban to drive us to the airport, figured our chances were 50/50 on getting ratted out to the cartel.

Get to the airport and there's like this 22 year old Purdue kid they sent down nervously polishing the wing waiting to get his plane stolen. Loaded up, did the flight path maze, got to Del Rio, did customs at 6am with a couple Texas Rangers that ****ed with us for an hour, and made it back to Dallas Love by about 9am.

I had a conference in Vegas I was late to, so wife picked me up with suits, headed over to commercial, and made my afternoon meetings at the Cali Mortgage Bankers Association Conference. 😄
Holy shit, dude - the Sinaloa cartel? Yeah, I'd say your odds were probably less than 50/50?

An actual Purdue guy flew your out? That is hilarious. One helluva story!

Reactions: Lucy01
Do they claim any of the helicopters owned by the state police and National Guard of FLA and NC were denied airspace to deliver needed supplies?

MAGAs forget -- state governments also have the tactical ability to deliver supplies.
This guy in particular claims whatever Pillow Guy or Mark Robinson tells him. Just nuts

Holy shit, dude - the Sinaloa cartel? Yeah, I'd say your odds were probably less than 50/50?

An actual Purdue guy flew your out? That is hilarious. One helluva story!
Yeah...one of those flight school kids...probably just got the job.

Gets a call at 2am...."Hey...we need you to get over to Love Field and fly one of the Citations down to Los Mochis ASAP and pick up some dudes". 😄

We roll up...he looks nervous as hell...looking around sheepishly. Think some jet had gotten "stolen" there a couple weeks before. He was wheels up within 5 mins of us getting there. 😄

Unfortunately, very real. This mind virus has permeated every department of the Biden administration. If Trump gets in, they are going to have a hard time trying to extricate this disease from the Federal bureaucracy.
I'm willing to bet, that within 30 mins at either The Runcible Spoon, or The Atlas (in Bloomington), you would hear something equally as limp. 😄

I'm willing to bet, that within 30 mins at either The Runcible Spoon, or The Atlas (in Bloomington), you would hear something equally as limp. 😄
There's nothing like sitting outside at the Spoon on a Sunday morning, nursing a hangover and an O'Neil, just watching and listening.

There's nothing like sitting outside at the Spoon on a Sunday morning, nursing a hangover and an O'Neil, just watching and listening.
I have lived here since '79 and have never eaten there. I think one of my first times walking past I joked about the name's similarity to "rancid spoon" so maybe that stuck? But then I've only been to Village Deli once so maybe I just don't like a type.

You are the second person who posted this idea in the last few hours. Trump affects all of us. I think people who segregate along Trump/no Trump are a problem. Most of those are no Trump. Im voting for him. I guess you need to decide what that means for you.

As far what politicians are voting for him is concerned, I’m in the Haley, Barr, Pompeo (and others) camp. Cheney did a lot of good for the country and we were lucky to have him when we did. He can vote for Kamala, that’s okay. I still would vote for Romney if I could and he hates Trump.
I understand people hating Donald Trump personally. But I would like to ask Dick Cheney what he disagrees with policy wise with him? Does Cheney really think we will be safer in the world and that the economy will do better with VP Harris?

I have lived here since '79 and have never eaten there. I think one of my first times walking past I joked about the name's similarity to "rancid spoon" so maybe that stuck? But then I've only been to Village Deli once so maybe I just don't like a type.
FWIW, I'm not much of a fan of the Village Deli either. We have that in common.

The Runcible Spoon is the single place that we'll never miss when we're in town overnight. My wife loves it. She says it reminds her of a place in Berkley, and I've always had a thing for hippy chicks. win/win.

You should give it a whirl, Marv. At least you can say you tried it.

FWIW, I'm not much of a fan of the Village Deli either. We have that in common.

The Runcible Spoon is the single place that we'll never miss when we're in town overnight. My wife loves it. She says it reminds her of a place in Berkley, and I've always had a thing for hippy chicks. win/win.

You should give it a whirl, Marv. At least you can say you tried it.
I actually liked the village deli breakfast better but took too long. As much as anything I’d get a Salt bagel from whatever that bagel joint was called. BBC maybe

WTF Marv?!? There's always a group of tweed jacketed profs on the back patio discussing politics...usually old school guys. Kennedy Dems. Don't really like Trump, but hate wokeism.

They're back there all morning discussing anything from the Indiana OL, to what sanctions we should use on some African hellhole. It's your peeps for God's sake. You gotta get in there.

I actually liked the village deli breakfast better but took too long. As much as anything I’d get a Salt bagel from whatever that bagel joint was called. BBC maybe
Village Deli benches are too hard and right angled...uncomfortable. 😄

BBC is deader than....dead.

Gables Bagels is the new king. Brainchild of potential Dream Team recruit, and future DT Mossad liaison. 😄 (Daughter's also a Frosh contributor to South Footy....Best sport by sport 2010 girl athlete in town). 👍

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I refuse to sit down and eat a bagel when other dishes are on the menu. My all-time favorite breakfast joint in Bloomington is Scenic View. So good. Any time we've been camping in Deam or Pate's Hollow, I've tried to stop there on the way home.

Breakfast should be an option at every meal.

image.png

Reactions: ulrey and 76-1
I refuse to sit down and eat a bagel when other dishes are on the menu. My all-time favorite breakfast joint in Bloomington is Scenic View. So good. Any time we've been camping in Deam or Pate's Hollow, I've tried to stop there on the way home.

Breakfast should be an option at every meal.

image.png
Gables Bagels is decidedly targeted for the E coast kids and profs grabbing something on the run. No loitering. 😄

But, they have sandwiches and stuff as well. Their "head chef's" daughter is on our Indy travel club...packs us sandwiches for the drives to Lawrence and back...they're LEGIT. She's a baller.

Scenic is great. Always dig heading out there.

That said, now that the old Waffle House (but not "yellow" Waffle House) is gone, Cloverleaf (on the South), Cozy Table (West), and now Lincoln Square (North) dominate the greasy spoon diner scene in Btown.

Gables Bagels is decidedly targeted for the E coast kids and profs grabbing something on the run. No loitering. 😄

But, they have sandwiches and stuff as well. Their "head chef's" daughter is on our Indy travel club...packs us sandwiches for the drives to Lawrence and back...they're LEGIT. She's a baller.

That said, now that the old Waffle House (but not "yellow" Waffle House) is gone, Cloverleaf (on the South), Cozy Table (West), and now Lincoln Square (North) dominate the greasy spoon diner scene in Btown.
Try the omelettes at Uptown sometime.

Reactions: 76-1

I like Cloverleaf and Cozy. Hard to talk wifey into either one instead of the Spoon though. When I lived in the Knolls, Denny's was an easy stumble. I see that's gone now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT