ADVERTISEMENT

FEMA

I personally would have rather stayed here and added riding out a hurricane to my list of experiences, but my daughter was freaking out and it spooked my wife.

What the hell - I'm retired. I don't have to be anywhere.

We got caught in a boondoggle back in 2014 when Odile suddenly changed path and B-lined to Cabo...

Storm-Track-1-600x521.jpg

Cat 4 or 5 when it blew directly over us one Sunday night and totally trashed the place. Pitch black and HOT all night. Doors slamming shut as the wind blew through the hotel and reeked havoc outside. Gunfire and shit outside. Total chaos.

No power for a week. No way up the peninsula to San Diego because the roads were washed out. Took a car up to La Paz and hung out there for the week, but it was powerless as well. No cell, no A/C, no nothing. 😄 We spent the day and nights hoping for power, boozing...and other stuff that Americans with cash would do in a situation like that.

By Day 5 the water tank on the top of the hotel was empty, and with no power, plumbing was getting "marginal". We'd been eating street food all week. One of the cabbies told us the ferry to Los Mochis was opening back up the next day, so we hesitantly decided to make the run. Ditched all of our "American shit", including golf clubs, and dressed like shlubs. One of the guys with us's old man owned a mining company in with mines in Sinaloa, and his Head of Ops had been kidnapped, ransomed, and decapitated 6 months before. :oops:

We took the 8 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez, and got there at like 2 in the AM. They had cell service there, so we got our buddy in San Antonio whose parents retrofit private jets to send one down to Los Mochis at like 4 in the morning. Hired a Suburban to drive us to the airport, figured our chances were 50/50 on getting ratted out to the cartel.

Get to the airport and there's like this 22 year old Purdue kid they sent down nervously polishing the wing waiting to get his plane stolen. Loaded up, did the flight path maze, got to Del Rio, did customs at 6am with a couple Texas Rangers that ****ed with us for an hour, and made it back to Dallas Love by about 9am.

I had a conference in Vegas I was late to, so wife picked me up with suits, headed over to commercial, and made my afternoon meetings at the Cali Mortgage Bankers Association Conference. 😄

Or, did they think the States of Florida, NC etc. had the right to demand the feds to control who is flying into a disaster zone?

After all, it could have been silly people like FoxNews, CNN or The Weather Channel getting in the way of legitimate emergency efforts to get a good camera angle.

Maybe you think Musk should get a free pass?
Maybe I think Musk is interested in saving lives and not dealing with the bureaucracy that hinders the effort.

Everybody see that? McMurtry doesn't know what to say.

(That qualifies McMurtry to be on Trump's cabinet.)
What policies of progressives do you like weasel?

Defund?
Bail projects?
Equity of outcomes?
Open borders?
Cradle to grave benes?

Reactions: DANC
We got caught in a boondoggle back in 2014 when Odile suddenly changed path and B-lined to Cabo...

Storm-Track-1-600x521.jpg

Cat 4 or 5 when it blew directly over us one Sunday night and totally trashed the place. Pitch black and HOT all night. Doors slamming shut as the wind blew through the hotel and reeked havoc outside. Gunfire and shit outside. Total chaos.

No power for a week. No way up the peninsula to San Diego because the roads were washed out. Took a car up to La Paz and hung out there for the week, but it was powerless as well. No cell, no A/C, no nothing. 😄 We spent the day and nights hoping for power, boozing...and other stuff that Americans with cash would do in a situation like that.

By Day 5 the water tank on the top of the hotel was empty, and with no power, plumbing was getting "marginal". We'd been eating street food all week. One of the cabbies told us the ferry to Los Mochis was opening back up the next day, so we hesitantly decided to make the run. Ditched all of our "American shit", including golf clubs, and dressed like shlubs. One of the guys with us's old man owned a mining company in with mines in Sinaloa, and his Head of Ops had been kidnapped, ransomed, and decapitated 6 months before. :oops:

We took the 8 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez, and got there at like 2 in the AM. They had cell service there, so we got our buddy in San Antonio whose parents retrofit private jets to send one down to Los Mochis at like 4 in the morning. Hired a Suburban to drive us to the airport, figured our chances were 50/50 on getting ratted out to the cartel.

Get to the airport and there's like this 22 year old Purdue kid they sent down nervously polishing the wing waiting to get his plane stolen. Loaded up, did the flight path maze, got to Del Rio, did customs at 6am with a couple Texas Rangers that ****ed with us for an hour, and made it back to Dallas Love by about 9am.

I had a conference in Vegas I was late to, so wife picked me up with suits, headed over to commercial, and made my afternoon meetings at the Cali Mortgage Bankers Association Conference. 😄
Holy shit, dude - the Sinaloa cartel? Yeah, I'd say your odds were probably less than 50/50?

An actual Purdue guy flew your out? That is hilarious. One helluva story!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT