ADVERTISEMENT

F1 2022 Season

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Pre-Season Testing

Barcelona circuit from the 23-25 February.
Bahrain hosting the second block of running from the 11-13 March, just a week before the season starts
This will be the first opportunity to see the 2022 cars in action,

Provisional 2022 Formula 1 calendar

DateGrand PrixVenue
20 MarchBahrainSakhir
27 MarchSaudi ArabiaJeddah
10 AprilAustraliaMelbourne
24 AprilEmilia RomagnaImola*
8 MayMiamiMiami**
22 MaySpainBarcelona*
29 MayMonacoMonaco
12 JuneAzerbaijanBaku
19 JuneCanadaMontreal
3 JulyUnited KingdomSilverstone
10 JulyAustriaSpielberg
24 JulyFranceLe Castellet
31 JulyHungaryBudapest
28 AugustBelgiumSpa
4 SeptemberNetherlandsZandvoort
11 SeptemberItalyMonza
25 SeptemberRussiaSochi
2 OctoberSingaporeSingapore*
9 OctoberJapanSuzuka
23 OctoberUSAAustin*
30 OctoberMexicoMexico City
13 NovemberBrazilSao Paulo
20 NovemberAbu DhabiAbu Dhabi

*Subject to contract
**subject to FIA circuit homologation

Formula 1 2022 driver line-up
TeamDriver 1Driver 2
MercedesLewis HamiltonGeorge Russell
Red BullMax VerstappenSergio Perez
FerrariCharles LeclercCarlos Sainz
McLarenLando NorrisDaniel Ricciardo
AlpineFernando AlonsoEsteban Ocon
Alpha TauriPierre GaslyYuki Tsunoda
WilliamsNicholas LatifiAlex Albon
Aston MartinSebastian VettelLance Stroll
Alfa RomeoValtteri BottasGuanyu Zhou
HaasMick SchumacherNikita Mazepin

10 things you need to know about the all-new 2022 F1 car

1. It’s been designed specifically to promote better racing

The 2022 regulations, originally slated to arrive in 2021 but delayed by Covid-19, had one guiding principle: to allow closer racing – with the potential for more overtakes a happy, but secondary, benefit.
What’s preventing closer racing currently? The effect of the "catastrophic downforce loss" – to quote an engineer centrally involved with the project – resulting from the ‘dirty air’ being churned chaotically off a leading car currently.

2. The car will feature over-wheel winglets for the first time – and wheel covers are back!
Two of the striking features on the 2022 car are its over-wheel winglets and a return to a feature last seen in F1 in 2009 – wheel covers.

The inclusion of the latter is simple: sending airflow through the wheels might be an enormously potent way for teams to increase their downforce, but it also adds to that chaotic aerodynamic wake coming off the cars.

Although there have been changes to the 2022 regulations to limit what teams can do around the tyres aerodynamically, F1’s Motorsports team wanted to take a belt-and-braces approach by adding a physical seal to prevent engineers intentionally directing disruptive airflow out through the wheels.

As for the over-wheel winglets, their job is to help control the wake coming off the front tyres and direct it away from the rear wing. That’s been a role traditionally performed by vortices from the front wing – but in a way that makes them hugely sensitive when running in following car conditions. The winglets will achieve the same thing, but in a way that is more aerodynamically resilient in close racing.

3. The car will feature 18” wheels with low-profile tyres for the first time
F1 fans will have recently seen lots of footage of teams testing Pirelli’s bigger 18” wheels in readiness for next year.

The new Pirelli compounds and constructions for these 18” wheels have been designed with the goal of reducing the amount the tyres overheat when they slide – a primary aspect that should help with closer racing.

READ MORE: Hamilton tries out 18-inch wheels at Imola

The lower profile tyres also have the added benefit of reducing the sidewall deflection changes and the resulting aerodynamic wake effect that occurs. The teams spend a lot of effort on simulating the airflow regimes around the tyre shapes and interactions with the car bodywork. Reducing the sensitivity in this area will be a benefit in both the car design process and resource required – something that's particularly important in the era of the cost cap.

4. The front wing and nose concept have been completely re-thought
Although front wings have been getting progressively simpler in recent seasons, the 2022 F1 car will feature a totally new front wing shape.

Keeping with the philosophy of the 2022 car, the new front wing’s job is to both generate consistent downforce when running closely behind another car, and ensure that the front wheel wake is well controlled and directed down the car in the least disruptive way.
That means not sending the wake dramatically outboard, as is done on the current cars, nor letting it spill under the floor and get ingested by the diffuser, but instead steering it narrowly down the side of the car as much as possible. Or as one engineer on the project put it, the 2022 car’s front wing is designed simply to be an "anti-outwash" front wing.

5. An aero feature from the 70s is back! (sort of)
F1’s Motorsports team began work on the 2022 car back in 2017 – and it soon became apparent that the key change required to ensure closer racing would be placing the aerodynamic emphasis on ground effect to create downforce.

Ground effect came to prominence in F1 in the late 1970s, with cars effectively designed in the shape of upside-down airplane wings, creating huge amounts of downforce as they were pushed into the track.

Full ground effect cars were subsequently outlawed at the end of 1982 – and the 2022 car is certainly not a return to that era (there are no side skirts for a start!). But the 2022 car does feature fully shaped underfloor tunnels, rather than the stepped floor used currently, which will allow teams to generate large amounts of efficient downforce through ground effect (the current floors also exploit ground effect, but not to the same extent).
The reason for the change is the benign quality of downforce generated in ground effect. Current cars’ barge boards and other bits of aerodynamic furniture are designed to send vortices under the floor to increase downforce. But when those vortices stop working – due, for example, to the influence of closely following another car – the performance drop-off is huge.
With the 2022 car, however, the underfloor downforce is better preserved within the tunnels, without the reliance on arrays of wake-sensitive, vortex-generating geometries – ergo better following, ergo closer racing!

6. The rear wing features new ‘rolled tips’
That rather beautiful, art deco-looking rear wing on the 2022 car (an automotive stylist contributed to aspects of the 2022 car’s overall look, incidentally) actually has an important function – and it’s to do with mushrooms. Let us explain…

While current cars’ rear wings direct airflow upwards, they are also designed to send flow outwards, leaving the ‘dirty air’ sitting there for the following car to drive through. By contrast, the shape and position of the 2022 car’s rear wing creates a rotational airflow that collects the rear wheel wake and rolls it into the flow exiting the diffuser – forming an invisible ‘mushroom’-shaped wake.

This narrower wake is then thrown – thanks also to a steeper diffuser ramp – high up into the air, allowing a following car to drive through less disrupted ‘clean air’.

DRS remains on the rear wing, meanwhile, with the Motorsports team keen to study its effect in conjunction with the rule changes.

7. It will use the same power unit as 2021
Many, many things are new on the 2022 car – but the power unit is not one of them, with Formula 1 set to retain the current 1.6-litre turbo-hybrid units. This is no bad thing, given that they’re already the most advanced and most efficient engines on the planet.

There will, however, be some more standard components in the fuel system, as well as some additional sensors to allow the FIA to better monitor the power units.

The big change is actually what will be coursing through those 1.6-litre engines, namely…

8. Cars will run on more sustainable fuel
Current regulations see cars running on fuel containing 5.75% bio-components.

And while F1 is still working hard to introduce fully sustainable fuel in the near-future, 2022 will see the bio-component ratio rise to 10%. That will be achieved through a move to ‘E10 fuel’ – ‘E’ standing for ethanol, while ‘10’ refers to its percentage in the mixture.

Crucially, though, that ethanol must be a second generation biofuel made in a sustainable way, meaning it will have a near-zero carbon footprint – an “interim step”, in the words of Formula 1’s Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds, which will also help the sport align with current road car fuel regulations.

9. Safety has been at the forefront of the design
It almost goes without saying that a new generation of Formula 1 cars comes with the opportunity to make the sport even safer – and that’s certainly the case with the 2022 car.

The chassis now need to absorb 48% and 15% more energy respectively in the front and rear impact tests, as well as greater forces in the static ‘squeeze’ tests required to homologate the chassis and certify their strength.

Lessons have been learned, too, from recent major crashes, including that of Romain Grosjean at the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix – with the cars now designed in such a way that, in the event of a crash, the power unit will separate from the chassis in a safe manner without exposing the fuel tank.

Meanwhile, learnings from the FIA’s investigation into Formula 2 racer Anthoine Hubert’s fatal accident at Spa in 2019 were also incorporated, principally a longer nose section to help dissipate energy in a crash, together with stronger chassis sides to resist T-bone incidents.

It’s also true that those safety improvements, as well as the heavier and more robust tyres, have seen a weight increase, with the minimum car weight having risen by around 5% from 752kg currently to 790kg.

10. The 2022 car has been put through over 7,500 simulations to get to this point
F1 is nothing if not a thorough sport – and as you can imagine, creating the 2022 car has not been a ‘finger in the air’ exercise.

Instead, F1’s Motorsports team have run approximately 7,500 simulations, creating around half a petabyte of data. That’s the equivalent of a third of the 10 billion photos on Facebook, or 10 million four-drawer filing cabinets full of text documents.
Those 7,500 simulations also took 16.5 million core hours to solve, meaning if they’d been done on a high-spec Intel i9 quad core laptop, it would have taken until the year 2492 – 471 years from now – to get the solutions.

The 2022 car was also developed in exclusive sessions in Sauber’s wind tunnel in Switzerland, with 138 ‘baseline configurations’ experimented with over two years, with around 100 ‘wind on’ hours.

Meanwhile, the teams have also been granted regulatory freedom to test the current 2022 car iteration – or the ‘UNIFORM’ baseline as it’s known internally, given that it’s the 21st significant update – for methodology development in their wind tunnels and CFD (provided they don’t alter the shape), with the feedback from the teams having been a crucial part of the design and development process.

And there you have it – the 10 key things you need to know about the 2022 car.

F1’s Motorsports team are confident that they’ve come up with a set of regulations that can achieve their objective of closer racing, while not being so prescriptive that they prevent creativity.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...l-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html

Saw Alpines front wing and that was cool looking. Supposedly front wings are going to look much different when testing opens in Feb from each car.

Saw Alpines front wing and that was cool looking. Supposedly front wings are going to look much different when testing opens in Feb from each car.
Will the Merc front wing still be made of cement?

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
Pre-Season Testing

Barcelona circuit from the 23-25 February.
Bahrain hosting the second block of running from the 11-13 March, just a week before the season starts
This will be the first opportunity to see the 2022 cars in action,

Provisional 2022 Formula 1 calendar

DateGrand PrixVenue
20 MarchBahrainSakhir
27 MarchSaudi ArabiaJeddah
10 AprilAustraliaMelbourne
24 AprilEmilia RomagnaImola*
8 MayMiamiMiami**
… abridged …
11 SeptemberItalyMonza
25 SeptemberRussiaSochi
2 OctoberSingaporeSingapore*
9 OctoberJapanSuzuka
23 OctoberUSAAustin*
30 OctoberMexicoMexico City
13 NovemberBrazilSao Paulo
20 NovemberAbu DhabiAbu Dhabi

HaasMick SchumacherNikita Mazepin
Interesting to see two US races: Miami and Austin. I remember when there were none, after Watkins Glen got dropped. It must help to have a US manufacturer (Haas).

Interesting technical rule changes. F1 needed more emphasis on the track … rather than passing by Pit Strategy.

Interesting to see two US races: Miami and Austin. I remember when there were none, after Watkins Glen got dropped. It must help to have a US manufacturer (Haas).

Interesting technical rule changes. F1 needed more emphasis on the track … rather than passing by Pit Strategy.

Watkins Glen is an interesting track. The Maimi track just looks like some converted carpark -- as bad as Paul Ricard. Its just crass to have the track centred around the (oh it's so 80s) Hard Rock Stadium.
Rather have it at Laguna Seca and the corkscrew!!! (Too bad they cant upgrade it to an F1 grade.)

Reactions: FrankTGucker
It’s in Miami for the convenience of Latin American fans.
And parties on yachts at Miami Beach.

Perhaps Sebring could be upgraded to F1 standards some day.
Hard to get a lot of elevation changes anywhere in Florida.

F1 is owned by Liberty Media based in Colorado. LM’s strategy is to grow the brand in the States.

Reactions: TomEric4756
It’s in Miami for the convenience of Latin American fans.
And parties on yachts at Miami Beach.

Perhaps Sebring could be upgraded to F1 standards some day.
Hard to get a lot of elevation changes anywhere in Florida.
I’d like to see Road America upgraded. But it’s in the middle of nowhere so it won’t happen. Long straights. Huge braking zones. Carousel. Kink. Elevation changes.

Totally agree on Sebring but they’d have to ditch the concrete and that would make the purists lose their minds.

I really wish South Florida had a proper speedway. I don’t know how a race in Ft Lauderdale in the Dolphins parking lot will work out.

Road America would be unbelievable….but alas no infrastructure.

They’ve got to get back to Indy on the original layout. That place would be nuts. You’d have a couple hundred thousand easily.

Interesting … I had missed that piece of news.

I think, IndyCar is hanging on by a thread here.

I don't know if I'd say it's hanging by a thread. But they do need some better marketing to try and gain a wider following.

Part of IndyCar's problem (in my opinion) is that its flagship race, and the only one that many people watch, is unrepresentative of the rest of the series. The Indy 500 is the Big Race. And of the rest of the races in the series exactly 0 are anything like it. You've got mostly road and street courses, and what, 3 short ovals? It makes it hard to build an identity. It's sort of like the 80's metal band that puts out some cheesy power ballad that shoots up the charts, and people race out to buy the album only to discover the other 11 tracks are nothing like the "hit."

The other thing is that the championship is pretty meaningless. Unlike the WDC, no one cares who wins the IndyCar title, and no one remembers. Lots of people can rattle off the Indy 500 champions through the years, but very few could tell you who won the IndyCar series title 3 years ago. Again, IndyCar doesn't market its champions. The 500 winner might be all over the place. The series champion is an afterthought. If you want people to follow the series, make it about more than the Indy 500.

DTS was great marketing for F1, but I'm not sure I'd want to see IndyCar try and mimic that, since as hokey as DTS can be sometimes my guess is that an IndyCar version would be hokey x10. But Penske needs to do something to build interest in the brand.

The retirement rumors are ridiculous. Dude is such a drama queen.

That said, this article pegs Gasly as the would be replacement.

How is he a drama queen? If you were leading a championship-deciding soccer match 3-0 and then the ref decides its sudden death and that the next goal wins the match? How content would you be?

You wouldn't be disillusioned with the sport? He has had to fight the system -- from racism to the financial advantages of the other kids. His dad had to re-mortgage his house, work three jobs to support his son's passion. Ocon is another one who came from a very humble backgrounds.

Max and many others including Lando grew up with silver spoons in their mouths with many advantages handed on a plate.

• Haha
How is he a drama queen? If you were leading a championship-deciding soccer match 3-0 and then the ref decides its sudden death and that the next goal wins the match? How content would you be?

You wouldn't be disillusioned with the sport? He has had to fight the system -- from racism to the financial advantages of the other kids. His dad had to re-mortgage his house, work three jobs to support his son's passion. Ocon is another one who came from a very humble backgrounds.

Max and many others including Lando grew up with silver spoons in their mouths with many advantages handed on a plate.
You got me. He’s so down to earth. A real man of the people

48922823-10072399-image-m-23_1633691338898.jpg

I haven't had a chance tp watch the posted video yet, but with regards to Hamilton being a drama queen over this, I dunno. It seems to me that we've heard nothing specifically from Lewis. Perhaps that's calculated, perhaps Lewis is just not interested in talking. Most (all) of the retirement talk comes from Toto, or the press.

I do sense that some of this narrative is geared towards pushing the FIA to do or say the things that Mercedes wants, whatever that might be. But I don't for one second believe that Hamilton won't be back in 2022. That's absurd.

Lewis is going to come out this year, dominate, win #8, drop the mic and leave.

Right. You formed our opinion of Lewis based on how he expresses himself or dresses. And not his background and the struggles he had to go through.
It says a lot more about you than it does Lewis.

I'll say this...of the 20 drivers on the grid, I'd suspect that Lewis would be about the last one who you could see hoisting a pint in a random pub with an average Joe. He's no Vettel in that regard.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

It wasn’t that long ago he was chumming it up online playing Gran Turismo. I couldn’t even imagine that now. He’s definitely changed a lot.

I'll say this...of the 20 drivers on the grid, I'd suspect that Lewis would be about the last one who you could see hoisting a pint in a random pub with an average Joe. He's no Vettel in that regard.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Nah. Vettel wasn't as nice as he is now when he was winning with RB.

Nah. Vettel wasn't as nice as he is now when he was winning with RB.

I know, but he's still younger than Lewis. Hamilton may have come from simple people, but he certainly seems to be the furthest from current simple people of anyone on the grid today. Which makes sense as he is likely the wealthiest.

And that's OK. But he does seem in his own sphere these days, along with the fashion and art crowd. Can't see him and Kimi sharing a brew.

• Love
I know, but he's still younger than Lewis. Hamilton may have come from simple people, but he certainly seems to be the furthest from current simple people of anyone on the grid today. Which makes sense as he is likely the wealthiest.

And that's OK. But he does seem in his own sphere these days, along with the fashion and art crowd. Can't see him and Kimi sharing a brew.

I think most people tend to throw such accusations at winners. I remember people not liking Schumie too.

• Sad
I think most people tend to throw such accusations at winners. I remember people not liking Schumie too.

Eh, I’m not coming at it from a perspective of like vs dislike. I’m just saying that Lewis seems to exist in a sphere pretty far removed from the rest. It’s not a judgement. Just an observation.

Eh, I’m not coming at it from a perspective of like vs dislike. I’m just saying that Lewis seems to exist in a sphere pretty far removed from the rest. It’s not a judgement. Just an observation.
He’s very much in the mold of a Ronaldo in soccer. They are maniacal about their dedication to winning. Probably why Hamilton was so gutted this year. The four races leading to the finale were an absolute master class. And then the clown show.
He’s more icon now than just a mere driver. Vettel never wanted that. Just different folks. And Hamilton has, whether you agree with him or not, never been bashful about expressing his opinions even if it could hurt him. Lebron James (**cough China cough**) could do well to take notes.

It may not be a shoo-in for the incumbents. A lot of aero work to be done in the pre-season with these new regs.
And Merc getting 15% less wind tunnel time, they will be at a slight disadvantage.

It may not be a shoo-in for the incumbents. A lot of aero work to be done in the pre-season with these new regs.
And Merc getting 15% less wind tunnel time, they will be at a slight disadvantage.

I could see Red Bull being on the back foot, relatively speaking. Of all the teams in 2021 I'd suspect that they were the ones who put the maximum into 2021 at the expense of 2022. Mercedes...I know they can't dominate forever, but I suspect that they'll be convincingly back on top in '22.

The only joker I can see is the rumor about two unnamed teams allegedly having made some sort of additional advancement with the 2022 cars. I don't really buy it though. Look for 1) Mercedes, 2) Red Bull, 3) Ferrari, 4) McLaren, 5) Alpine.

I keep hoping Alpine is the surprise. I’d give about anything to see Alonso fighting at the top again. They didn’t do much at all last year as far as development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT