ADVERTISEMENT

Eron Gordon

Also to me we were far better than Pepperdine or Colorado where I felt that Syracuse was as good if not better than IU and it was not a big upset that they beat us.
They didn't just beat us they dominated us......and no they were not as talented as IU. Two top 5 picks for IU on the floor....it was a poor game plan by IU and that claim has been made by many!

I know they were not all choir boys and I did not like how RMK treated people and wanted him gone about two years before he was actually fired. All I was saying about that group of players was I just thought it was best for the program to start over and bring in different kids. After the second semester and how bad they were academically some would have had trouble being academically eligible if they stayed. why not start out fresh with a new coach and start with players that coach brought.
because it decimated the program and we are now stuck with a coach who isn't very good.

Reactions: Creaned Heat
They didn't just beat us they dominated us......and no they were not as talented as IU. Two top 5 picks for IU on the floor....it was a poor game plan by IU and that claim has been made by many!
Syracuse had the NBA rookie of the year and if you look at High school ranking they had higher ranked kids and more McDonald's all Americans than we did. They were ranked in the top 10 most of that year and they were a 4 seed only because of a bad two stretch in Feb. they had went to the final of the big east tournament and had UL the eventual champions down 19 at half and they also won at UL so they showed that they were one of the best teams in the country.

Syracuse had the NBA rookie of the year and if you look at High school ranking they had higher ranked kids and more McDonald's all Americans than we did. They were ranked in the top 10 most of that year and they were a 4 seed only because of a bad two stretch in Feb. they had went to the final of the big east tournament and had UL the eventual champions down 19 at half and they also won at UL so they showed that they were one of the best teams in the country.
They didn't just beat us they dominated us

They didn't just beat us they dominated us
We lost by 11 points and had in in single digits in the second half so that is far from being dominated. Again Syracuse was one of the top teams for most of the year and they were very talented where the two games I mentioned where we were beat by a lot more points had a lot less talent than we had.

That does not make sense because how would keeping those players made Crean a better coach and we would still be in the same shape we are now even if we kept those 3 players.
Well based off his history he still would be a 65% winning coach...

As it does yours...
Wow... An admission.. Great! I really did enjoy the post... Clearly demonstrates your MO... Well done... What went down was what I stated... You on the other hand make things up... To suit your campaign...
That does not make sense because how would keeping those players made Crean a better coach and we would still be in the same shape we are now even if we kept those 3 players.
there is no sense in his posts.. Just denigrating

Well based off his history he still would be a 65% winning coach...
I am saying that if they kept those kids it would not change your view of him and whether or not he should be our coach. He might have won a few more games those first couple of years but in the long run we would have still been in the same place that we are now.

Wow... An admission.. Great! I really did enjoy the post... Clearly demonstrates your MO... Well done... What went down was what I stated... You on the other hand make things up... To suit your campaign...
there is no sense in his posts.. Just denigrating
is it hard being a Crean fan and not an IU fan?

I am saying that if they kept those kids it would not change your view of him and whether or not he should be our coach. He might have won a few more games those first couple of years but in the long run we would have still been in the same place that we are now.
But the biggest excuse by CTC fans is "look what he started with"

But the biggest excuse by CTC fans is "look what he started with"
Are you saying that if he had won 20 more games in those first 3 years your view on him would be different. Most of us agree that Crean is probably not the guy for the long term but the one thing I really admired him for was getting rid of the problem kids and starting over even though he knew that it made his job that more difficult. If all Crean cared about was winning he would have kept those players on the team so it would made his record look better but he took the hit to do what was right for the program.

Are you saying that if he had won 20 more games in those first 3 years your view on him would be different. Most of us agree that Crean is probably not the guy for the long term but the one thing I really admired him for was getting rid of the problem kids and starting over even though he knew that it made his job that more difficult. If all Crean cared about was winning he would have kept those players on the team so it would made his record look better but he took the hit to do what was right for the program.
Easy to do when you have a 12 million dollar buyout.

What does guards being held to zero points have to do with it being the ugliest game because to me the Pepperdine and the Colorado games were the ugliest ones that I remember watching IU play. Also I think I was the most disappointed in the sweet 16 loss against Kansas in 1991 because we just came out and got hammered right off the bat and never got back into it.

Pepperdine... Yes that was a bad loss. In regards to Colorado, Chauncey Billups was a one man wrecking crew that we could not stop. Similar to what Walters & company did to us in 1991. IIRC, we were mostly sophomores that year & were just starting to break the top 25. But to compare the Cuse loss to these (KU & CO) losses is not close in my opinion. We were by far the better team in that game. Belien had no issues breaking that zone.

Pepperdine... Yes that was a bad loss. In regards to Colorado, Chauncey Billups was a one man wrecking crew that we could not stop. Similar to was Walters & company did to us in 1991. IIRC, we were mostly sophomores that year & were just starting to break the top 25. But to compare the Cuse loss to these (KU & CO) losses is not close in my opinion. We were by far the better team in that game. Belien had no issues breaking that zone.
That is where I disagree because to me we were not a far better team and if you look at it unbiased you would see that Syracuse had a very good season and would have been a top 2 seed if it was not for a bad two week stretch in Feb. A lot of people on here likes to look at stars and ranking out of high school when determining talent then Syracuse had more highly ranked players than we did. also that Kansas game was not about losing but how bad we lost and we were never even competitive from the start. Also in most of RMK years he would not let one great player beat you because we were the better team so how did he let those tow players just dominate us.

That is where I disagree because to me we were not a far better team and if you look at it unbiased you would see that Syracuse had a very good season and would have been a top 2 seed if it was not for a bad two week stretch in Feb. A lot of people on here likes to look at stars and ranking out of high school when determining talent then Syracuse had more highly ranked players than we did. also that Kansas game was not about losing but how bad we lost and we were never even competitive from the start. Also in most of RMK years he would not let one great player beat you because we were the better team so how did he let those tow players just dominate us.
Did not say Cuse was not good. They were, but we were #1 for 11 weeks, so expectations so be a W. I mean we were a #1 seed, Cuse... #4 seed?

Did not say Cuse was not good. They were, but we were #1 for 11 weeks, so expectations so be a W. I mean we were a #1 seed, Cuse... #4 seed?
I guess I did not drink the kool aid as much as others when it came to that Iu team because I always thought we were overrated going into that season. I thought we were one of the better teams in the country but by no means thought we were the clear cut favorite. I thought we were one of the top 5 or 6 teams going into the season but I never thought we were going to win the championship easily either. Even in my brackets I had IU losing in the elite 8 and almost picked us to lose to Syracuse in the sweet 16 but I picked with my heart instead of my head. I knew we would struggle with the zone like most teams had done the last few years but I still picked us to win.

Also to me we were far better than Pepperdine or Colorado where I felt that Syracuse was as good if not better than IU and it was not a big upset that they beat us.

They didn't "beat" us, they made us look like a 5th grade girls team.

I guess I did not drink the kool aid as much as others when it came to that Iu team because I always thought we were overrated going into that season. I thought we were one of the better teams in the country but by no means thought we were the clear cut favorite. I thought we were one of the top 5 or 6 teams going into the season but I never thought we were going to win the championship easily either. Even in my brackets I had IU losing in the elite 8 and almost picked us to lose to Syracuse in the sweet 16 but I picked with my heart instead of my head. I knew we would struggle with the zone like most teams had done the last few years but I still picked us to win.

The funny thing about that season is I predicted......before the season even started......that we'd get our butts kicked in the Dance because our guards were too small.

And everyone called me a "non-fan" and "complete moron who knows nothing about basketball."

And then our guards got completely dominated months later......

I guess you think losing by 11 points and having it in single digits in the second half is making us look like 5th graders then I don't know what to tell you.

Stop with the "only 11 points" whining because we both know scores can be very deceiving.

We looked totally lost and our guards combined for zero points.

I bet you in the history of the Dance, that's never happened to a top team before.

The funny thing about that season is I predicted......before the season even started......that we'd get our butts kicked in the Dance because our guards were too small.

And everyone called me a "non-fan" and "complete moron who knows nothing about basketball."

And then our guards got completely dominated months later......
If you posted that before the season I wouldn't have called you crazy because I never felt we would even go tot he final four.

Stop with the "only 11 points" whining because we both know scores can be very deceiving.

We looked totally lost and our guards combined for zero points.

I bet you in the history of the Dance, that's never happened to a top team before.
what losing in the sweet 16 as a higher seed because that has happened many times. I know you meant about the zero points but that game is almost 3 years ago so isn't it time to move on from it and get over it.

the 2008-2009 season should have never been played once all those kids were thrown off. Waste of tax payer scholarship money with that rag tag crew
Actually I enjoyed watching that team play and I went to the game against Gonzaga at Lucas Oil and they played hard and gave everything they had. I enjoyed watching that team a lot better than the 08 team which had a lot more talent.

what losing in the sweet 16 as a higher seed because that has happened many times. I know you meant about the zero points but that game is almost 3 years ago so isn't it time to move on from it and get over it.

Not when his groupies are saying just making the Sweet 16 is fine with them..........

I disagree...Holman, Crawford, Bassett all should have been back and we would have been an NCAA team most likely his first 3 years. Were those 3 guys saints? No but they were also not guys to kick the curb. All 3 went on to have really good careers after IU.
You must not care about the "student" part of student-athlete.

yaaaaaa over signing is common place...in sec football. the facts are against you. Crean turns over more than twice the national average every year. and ya, kids just can't hack it at IU. we're harder than other programs but it's just bad luck that we don't perform like other schools who turn over way fewer kids.

never crean's fault. two fan bases can't stand him now but that is on us and not him.

newsflash: likable people are liked. coaches out there who expect more (see defense) keep more kids. winners win. sooner or later you are what you are. crean is crean and we have 16 years of proof.

Crean needs to stay a IU until he retires. He will continue to keep IU in the conversation.

How so? Those three transferred to other schools and were eligible so they couldn't have been that bad.
They and others were most certainly "that bad". Not sure that would matter to you since academics aren't your concern.

Last edited:
They and others were most certainly "that bad". not sure that would matter to you since academics aren't your concern.
Based off what? Where did I say academics weren't important? Because I think those 3 shouldn't have stayed?

you admire him for getting rid of bad kids but then recruiting new bad kids and letting them slide for doing worse stuff? okay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT