ADVERTISEMENT

Eggs

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can find. They are low calorie, low fat, and high in minerals and vitamins. Eggs give the consumer good bang for the buck in terms of food value per dollar.

The lowest priced eggs now cost around $4 per dozen, up from around a pre-inflation price of around $2. Fancy pasture-razed eggs are about $10. Cage free eggs are in between.

Cage free and pasture raised eggs are definitely luxury items appealing to those who don’t need to worry much about the price of food.

Enter the Colorado Legislature and Governor Polis. All of them are leftists. Most of them are very wealthy, or married to wealthy spouses. Limousine liberals is a very apt description for Colorado Democrat office holders—but not their constituents. Limousine liberals can afford eggs without worrying about the costs. Limousine liberals can legislate luxury. The can legislate feelings. They can legislate what feels good. All of that can be legislated without much regard for costs.

Colorado Limousine liberals legislated chicken welfare. Effective January 1, eggs in Colorado must come from cage free or pasture raised chickens. Who cares if the single mom who worries about feeding kids doesn’t buy those eggs because she can’t afford them. Not that said single mom doesn’t want chickens to have a good life, but paying for that is an unnecessary luxury expense.

Not any more. To fulfill the insatiable appetite to feel good about themselves, limousine liberals require the poor and near poor get to give chickens a better life in order to buy one of the most nutritious singe food item.

What a country!

Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can find. They are low calorie, low fat, and high in minerals and vitamins. Eggs give the consumer good bang for the buck in terms of food value per dollar.

The lowest priced eggs now cost around $4 per dozen, up from around a pre-inflation price of around $2. Fancy pasture-razed eggs are about $10. Cage free eggs are in between.

Cage free and pasture raised eggs are definitely luxury items appealing to those who don’t need to worry much about the price of food.

Enter the Colorado Legislature and Governor Polis. All of them are leftists. Most of them are very wealthy, or married to wealthy spouses. Limousine liberals is a very apt description for Colorado Democrat office holders—but not their constituents. Limousine liberals can afford eggs without worrying about the costs. Limousine liberals can legislate luxury. The can legislate feelings. They can legislate what feels good. All of that can be legislated without much regard for costs.

Colorado Limousine liberals legislated chicken welfare. Effective January 1, eggs in Colorado must come from cage free or pasture raised chickens. Who cares if the single mom who worries about feeding kids doesn’t buy those eggs because she can’t afford them. Not that said single mom doesn’t want chickens to have a good life, but paying for that is an unnecessary luxury expense.

Not any more. To fulfill the insatiable appetite to feel good about themselves, limousine liberals require the poor and near poor get to give chickens a better life in order to buy one of the most nutritious singe food item.

What a country!
It’s a terrible thing to do to humans. It forces poorer people(and middle class) to eat alternative foods that are awful for them. Which leads to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and earlier deaths.

Reactions: ulrey

What a country!

That's pretty shitty. I've always been a heavy consumer of eggs and use the plain, jane store brand eggs. This would crush me.

Effective January 1, eggs in Colorado must come from cage free or pasture raised chickens

I have seen that in a lot of stories. But then I see this from another story, bolding is mine:

Gallegos said “probably 100 percent” of the required farms are already in compliance.​
“And that’s the key point I want to kind of point out: Any producer that has less than 3,000 egg-laying hens do not need to comply with this particular regulation,” Gallegos said. “It’s our bigger egg producers that have more than 3,000 egg-laying hens, so that part of the industry is working towards compliance nationwide that is bringing cage-free eggs into Colorado.”​
That guy from the CO Dept of Ag certainly implies the vast majority of the big farms are already in compliance. Obviously, I don't know if that is true or not. Since other states have already passed that law, my guess is all the huge farms are going to it in order to have their eggs sold at Kroger/WalMart/Etc nationwide.

Reactions: outside shooter
I just bought eggs from a store I always go to and paid $7 a dozen. It wasn't 18 months ago I was paying $.89 a dozen. Prices are out of control because of all the money the gov't has pumped into the economy, but this administration and Congress don't recognize the real cause of inflation. This could be due to the store buying eggs locally which gives us fresher eggs.

The administration has changed the definition of created jobs claiming people returning to work they had previously as a created job, changed a long-time definition of a recession so they can deny we are in a recession, and have been working on the definition of a woman to fit their agenda. A recession impacts the economy whether people recognize the recession or not.

Last edited:

What a country!
Normal large white eggs around here are not that expensive. I just looked and the Kroger near us they are $2.39/dozen.

so... yet another thread that is much ado about nothing
Not sure where people are shopping. The local Walmart and Kroger both have 12 extra large eggs for anywhere between $2.50-$3 (depending on brand) and an 18 count for between $4-$4.50. Both cheaper than the local Aldi. That’s the crazy part.

Not sure where people are shopping. The local Walmart and Kroger both have 12 extra large eggs for anywhere between $2.50-$3 (depending on brand) and an 18 count for between $4-$4.50. Both cheaper than the local Aldi. That’s the crazy part.
Same around here... Aldi is normally cheaper on stuff.

I just bought eggs from a store I always go to and paid $7 a dozen. It wasn't 18 months ago I was paying $.89 a dozen. Prices are out of control because of all the money the gov't has pumped into the economy, but this administration and Congress don't recognize the real cause of inflation.

The administration has changed the definition of created jobs claiming people returning to work they had previously as a created job, changed a long-time definition of a recession so they can deny we are in a recession, and have been working on the definition of a woman to fit their agenda. A recession impacts the economy whether people recognize the recession or not.

Actually, the majority of the inflation in egg and poultry prices is related to the Asian bird flu. The Chinese keep sending their disgusting germs and viruses across the world and murdering living creatures.

I have seen that in a lot of stories. But then I see this from another story, bolding is mine:

Gallegos said “probably 100 percent” of the required farms are already in compliance.​
“And that’s the key point I want to kind of point out: Any producer that has less than 3,000 egg-laying hens do not need to comply with this particular regulation,” Gallegos said. “It’s our bigger egg producers that have more than 3,000 egg-laying hens, so that part of the industry is working towards compliance nationwide that is bringing cage-free eggs into Colorado.”​
That guy from the CO Dept of Ag certainly implies the vast majority of the big farms are already in compliance. Obviously, I don't know if that is true or not. Since other states have already passed that law, my guess is all the huge farms are going to it in order to have their eggs sold at Kroger/WalMart/Etc nationwide.

I don't think you are reading that right. The vast majority of the large farms are not "cage-free" by definition.

So... yet another thread that is much ado about nothing.

Moaning & hand-wringing about imagined atrocities. Good job COH.

For a Scientist you don't know anything about anything do you?

UEP_WebsiteGraphics_2021_HenPopMan.jpg

CoH, looks like you had better move back to Indiana. Better yet, Illinois has the lowest price eggs according to this article. Hard to believe how the cost of eggs varies so much from state to state,

The lowest being Illinois at $0.42 per dozen. Hawaii is the highest at S4.49. Colorado comes in at $1,57.

Wonder if the poor folks living in Illinois and taking advantage of the low cost of eggs have higher cholesterol readings than the limousine liberals residing in Hawaii.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and NPT
I don't think you are reading that right. The vast majority of the large farms are not "cage-free" by definition.

This was the quote:

I cage-freely admit I haven't studied poultry farms so that might well be wrong. I don't know how I'm misreading it though.

CoH, looks like you had better move back to Indiana. Better yet, Illinois has the lowest price eggs according to this article. Hard to believe how the cost of eggs varies so much from state to state,

The lowest being Illinois at $0.42 per dozen. Hawaii is the highest at S4.49. Colorado comes in at $1,57.

Wonder if folks living in Illinois and taking advantage of the low cost of eggs have higher cholesterol readings than the limousine liberals residing in Hawaii.

It's very dependent on proximity to egg producers.

UEP_WebsiteGraphics_2021_TopTen.jpg

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
What’s crazy is he has him on ignore
I don't have anyone on ignore but I don't read some people's posts. Cosmics are an essay a lot of times so I skip those because I know he never gets nasty into name calling etc. A couple others I skip because they are just snark... never any meaningful posts (or I should say rarely).

What a country!
Cage free eggs at Costco have gone from $3.69 for two dozen to $4.99 in the past year.

Per USDA, cage free eggs are $0.73 more per dozen.

Looking at local prices, that's about what I see.

The USDA puts out a weekly egg report with all kinds of data, for some truly riveting reading.

The USDA puts out a weekly egg report with all kinds of data, for some truly riveting reading.
Egghead

Cage free eggs at Costco have gone from $3.69 for two dozen to $4.99 in the past year.
I like Costco but some things really go up and down in price. We buy the 4 one pound bacon package all the time. When we started buying it the price was $15.99 and it kept going up til it was $$22.99 then drifted back down to $17.99 then back up to $21.99 and the other day when I was in there it was $16.99.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Wonder if the poor folks living in Illinois and taking advantage of the low cost of eggs have higher cholesterol readings than the limousine liberals residing in Hawaii.
The article is 8 months old. Data older than that

I like Costco but some things really go up and down in price. We buy the 4 one pound bacon package all the time. When we started buying it the price was $15.99 and it kept going up til it was $$22.99 then drifted back down to $17.99 then back up to $21.99 and the other day when I was in there it was $16.99.
I will report back this afternoon assuming I get there.

Reactions: 76-1
So why do you read his posts since all you do in moan and groan about his posts?
The world needs more fact-checkers, not less. Others stepped up here, though, to shine a light on the typical fact-deprived snowflake rant of a chronically offended right-winger

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57

There is typically a wider gap betwen them, but the conventional eggs have been dealing with far more bird flu issues.

The world needs more fact-checkers, not less. Others stepped up here, though, to shine a light on the typical fact-deprived snowflake rant of a chronically offended right-winger
Did you check to see if his facts were incorrect? Obviously not. I just reported what eggs were around here. I don't know what the price is where he is so his prices could be correct.

Reactions: DANC

What a country!

I've seen some studies that pasture raised eggs are something like 2-3x the nutritional value of conventional eggs. Not really relevant to cage-free discussion, but this is the egghead thread.

Did you check to see if his facts were incorrect? Obviously not. I just reported what eggs were around here. I don't know what the price is where he is so his prices could be correct.
Lots of people, and common sense, do that. He claims that pasture-raised eggs are $10 a dozen. Baloney. Then he goes on and on about the impact of this new law on the poor, and we come to learn that nearly 100% of all egg producers are already in compliance with this supposedly evil, disastrous new law.

I've seen some studies that pasture raised eggs are something like 2-3x the nutritional value of conventional eggs. Not really relevant to cage-free discussion, but this is the egghead thread.
some Better nutrition is true, 2-3 times? That is suspect.

it's all suspect to me. eggs are on that list that seems to vacillate. eggs are great for you. don't eat eggs they're bad. eat the white. not the yoke. take an aspirin a day. don't take an aspirin a day. one glass of red one or one beer a day is actually good for you and your heart. no amount of alcohol is good for you

Washington, DC Fri. Dec 09, 2022 USDA Market News

Weekly Combined Regional Shell Eggs

Average prices on sales to volume buyers, USDA Grade A and Grade A,
White eggs in cartons, delivered warehouse, cents per dozen

REGIONS EX LARGE LARGE MEDIUM

NORTHEAST 434.00 433.00 324.00
SOUTHEAST 448.50 446.50 322.00
MIDWEST 430.50 428.50 314.50
SOUTH CENTRAL 447.50 447.50 328.50
COMBINED REGIONAL 440.44 439.26 322.54

Computed from simple weekly averages weighted by regional area populations

Source: USDA Livestock, Poultry, and Grain Market News
Washington, DC 202-720-6911 email: PYMN@ams.usda.gov
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/WA_PY001.txt

Prepared: 09-Dec-22 12:21 PM E SC

Reactions: jet812

“Compared to eggs from caged hens, pastured hens’ eggs had twice as much vitamin E and long-chain Omega-3 fats, 2.5-fold more total Omega-3 fatty acids, and less than half the ratio of Omega-6:Omega-3 fatty acids (P<0.0001). Vitamin A concentration was 38 percent higher (P<0.05) in the pastured hens’ eggs than in the caged hens’ eggs, but the total vitamin A content per egg did not differ.”

Vitamins A, E and fatty acid composition of the eggs of caged hens and pastured hens.

“Compared to eggs from caged hens, pastured hens’ eggs had twice as much vitamin E and long-chain Omega-3 fats, 2.5-fold more total Omega-3 fatty acids, and less than half the ratio of Omega-6:Omega-3 fatty acids (P<0.0001). Vitamin A concentration was 38 percent higher (P<0.05) in the pastured hens’ eggs than in the caged hens’ eggs, but the total vitamin A content per egg did not differ.”

Vitamins A, E and fatty acid composition of the eggs of caged hens and pastured hens.
I’ve seen those vitamin e eggs. I think the hens have been engineered. I avoid vitamin e supplements.

Outside Shitter is actively trying to find a poster to supplant him as the Most Frequently Incorrect “Expert” on the board…

Cannot help but believe the Colorado legislators were thinking about the cruel treatment of chickens in those crowded pens found on commercial chicken farms.

However, if allowed to roam freely and given that chickens can eat and digest just about anything, they undoubtedly will consume food which is toxic to them. The list of toxic food for chickens is lengthy and includes the following... raw meat, avocado pits, raw potatoes rhubarb, fruit pits, and the list goes on.

If running for the Colorado legislature my limousine liberal motto would be..Protect our beloved omnivores friends by caging them up for their own welfare.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT