ADVERTISEMENT

Early (VERY early) perceptions

Needed to get Gunn and Cupps some time. X will be fine. If he's healthy, we know what we'll get from him. And while there will be ups and downs, it'll largely be really good.
just seems like he wasn't playing well last yr before he got hurt ( not sure the X/JHS backcourt was really working that well) after being a monster the last 30-45 days of the 2021-2022 season. And always worry about foot injuries. Worst thing for a ballplayer. Many careers have been shortened because of a tiny little bone in a foot.

just seems like he wasn't playing well last yr before he got hurt ( not sure the X/JHS backcourt was really working that well) after being a monster the last 30-45 days of the 2021-2022 season. And always worry about foot injuries. Worst thing for a ballplayer. Many careers have been shortened because of a tiny little bone in a foot.
He's always been up and down. But I'd say against good teams, he shows up more than not. He was really good at Xavier, and against UNC last year, as an example. And while his defense wasn't awesome against Arizona, he did have 11 and 11 in that game.

Xavier will be fine. We need Cupps and Gunn to get minutes and get comfortable against the lower level teams on our schedule.

He's always been up and down. But I'd say against good teams, he shows up more than not. He was really good at Xavier, and against UNC last year, as an example. And while his defense wasn't awesome against Arizona, he did have 11 and 11 in that game.

Xavier will be fine. We need Cupps and Gunn to get minutes and get comfortable against the lower level teams on our schedule.
I hope I’m wrong, but it just feels like Gunn’s game is not going to transfer to major college ball. Very much in the same way Bates was unable to get his game to this level. Looking forward to seeing Banks.

I hope I’m wrong, but it just feels like Gunn’s game is not going to transfer to major college ball. Very much in the same way Bates was unable to get his game to this level. Looking forward to seeing Banks.
What? Gunn was one of the only bright spots yesterday in the first half and also had a solid 2nd half. Gave a ton of energy both ways. Yes, he missed his FTs and his threes, but he contributed in many other ways. I've said it endlessly: quit focusing on him as a 3 pt shooter, he can do so much more and yesterday he did. I think he just gets in his own head too much, and my guess is that's why he was missing FTs (they said he was 80% last year). That seems a likely explanation for his 3 pt shooting woes too. If everyone, himself and coaches included, would focus on him helping in all those other ways, and sure take open 3s when they are there, I think he'll be fine and eventually his shooting might come around. I see a much more capable all around game from CJ than Bates showed.

X was injured in November of last season. He and TJD didn't practice leading up to the Xavier game. Don't know if that injury trickled forward into Dec of 2022.

It’s written in most scouting and draft analysis about him. Lacks burst and not the quickest laterally. He’s a natural 4 playing a more wing oriented role in Bloomington to accompany Ware and Reneau.
He's not a 4. Too small. He will fine. Worry about Ware, Gunn, and Galloway. IU will be really this year by not having a 2 who can score every night.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
What? Gunn was one of the only bright spots yesterday in the first half and also had a solid 2nd half. Gave a ton of energy both ways. Yes, he missed his FTs and his threes, but he contributed in many other ways. I've said it endlessly: quit focusing on him as a 3 pt shooter, he can do so much more and yesterday he did. I think he just gets in his own head too much, and my guess is that's why he was missing FTs (they said he was 80% last year). That seems a likely explanation for his 3 pt shooting woes too. If everyone, himself and coaches included, would focus on him helping in all those other ways, and sure take open 3s when they are there, I think he'll be fine and eventually his shooting might come around. I see a much more capable all around game from CJ than Bates showed.
IU needs a volume scorer at the 2 not a volume shooter. What will he and Trey be combined this year?

Mgbako limited athletically? Not sure I've heard this take before, but I did not watch.
I'd guess Archie's strength coach would tell you he has a 40-inch vertical, but he'd be wrong by about 20 inches. Had a real hard time finishing around the rim. Hopefully he'll show more next time out.

He's not a 4. Too small. He will fine. Worry about Ware, Gunn, and Galloway. IU will be really this year by not having a 2 who can score every night.
He's not a 3. He doesn't have the handle or the quickness to guard out exclusively on the perimeter, especially at the next level.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'd guess Archie's strength coach would tell you he has a 40-inch vertical, but he'd be wrong by about 20 inches. Had a real hard time finishing around the rim. Hopefully he'll show more next time out.
He'll look like a stud against Marian, I'm sure. They're a solid NAIA program, but not likely any sort of conference or title contender this year.

The Grace/Purdue game will be interesting, as Grace is a very high level NAIA team and program, right now.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He's not a 3. He doesn't have the handle or the quickness to guard out exclusively on the perimeter, especially at the next level.
Well he doesn't have the hops to guard a 4. He does have a great wing span to guard a 3. He had a lot of deflections yesterday and moves side to side well in his stance. That was impressive.

Show more? He had what, 14/8 with a 3 and at least 2 blocks yesterday, after struggling in the first half? I know the guys on Assembly Call still voted him game MVP (and gave Walker their Hustle Award). Certainly wasn't perfect, but he looked fine in the 2nd half and could've easily had 19 or 20 if that second 3 goes down and he makes a couple more FTs. I thought he showed quite a lot of game in the second half. Was certainly our most versatile player.

Well he doesn't have the hops to guard a 4. He does have a great wing span to guard a 3. He had a lot of deflections yesterday and moves side to side well in his stance. That was impressive.
He struggled mightily in rotations and closeouts against a D2 team because he's not the quickest of foot. He's much stronger than he is quick, wings and perimeter-oriented players tend to be much quicker than strong which cause MM trouble.

Reactions: IUAPEX
Again, I think both of you guys are projecting a bit for the next level. He's gonna be fine defending all but really quick/elite 3s in college and also big enough to handle most 4s. Yes, he's got some things that really elite college guy might be able to exploit, but then on the offensive end, he can be a problem for them: overpowing smaller 3s and taking bigger/slower 4s out on the court. I've heard several "experts" already say they think he'll be back next year, and he may be if he doesn't have a clear role in the NBA. I think he'll be forced to play a 3/wing at the next level and think he has the tools to do that.

He struggled mightily in rotations and closeouts against a D2 team because he's not the quickest of foot. He's much stronger than he is quick, wings and perimeter-oriented players tend to be much quicker than strong which cause MM trouble.
The whole team didn't close out on shooters well. Galloway also. That's why UIndy made all those 3's in the 1st half. They had 6. They have been too far off shooters for 2 plus years now.

Hes plenty big and athletic enough to be a "Villanova style 3/4".

They've had a handful of them in the last 10 years that they've relied on, and that have been drafted. Difference being, they were drafted after playing a few years of college ball.

I think at his size, if he shoots it fairly well, and shows he can score at 3 levels, and defends and rebounds fairly well, he'll get drafted.

Any sort of efficient double figure scoring season, with 5 ish rebounds a game...and I bet he gets drafted fairly high.

Hes plenty big and athletic enough to be a "Villanova style 3/4".
Yep. I think he compares favorably to Saddiq Bey who plays inside/out in the NBA. Can knock down 3's from the perimeter but doesn't guard out there when he's in.

Well, I'd be pushing Trey to do more, with only 3 pts in 25 minutes and no 3s. Gunn has never been shy and put up plenty of shots in just 17 minutes and scored 8. He'd have hit double digits if he'd just made his FTs. I thought he did well yesterday, especially in the first half when everyone was struggling. Trey's the one that needs to pick it up, imo.

Yep. I think he compares favorably to Saddiq Bey who plays inside/out in the NBA. Can knock down 3's from the perimeter but doesn't guard out there when he's in.
Also an opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. MM doesn't HAVE to be blazingly quick to defend at a high level. If Woody could teach him how to play great defense positionally, using angles better, anticipating better, etc... itd help our team immensely this year, AND help MM's draft prospects immensely.

Number 1 thing that NBA GMs are looking for is wing scoring, that are also versatile defenders.

not really... this was the very first game. They showed some things that were good and some things that need work... what were your expectations? Snap judgements never pan out just as unrealistic expectations. watch them grow and see the CMW magic!
The first half of this game we were struggling. Missing easy shots and FT’s.

Also an opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. MM doesn't HAVE to be blazingly quick to defend at a high level. If Woody could teach him how to play great defense positionally, using angles better, anticipating better, etc... itd help our team immensely this year, AND help MM's draft prospects immensely.

Number 1 thing that NBA GMs are looking for is wing scoring, that are also versatile defenders.
Makes me wonder if we have someone on staff who specializes in teaching individual defense? Woodson and Cheaney learned under Knight so they surely know a lot. But they both were famous for scoring.

What you said is true, there are things you do to adjust if the guy you're guarding has certain advantages. Hopefully we have that expertise on staff.

Hell no he didn't. 25 points in the 1st half, 49 for the 2nd. Nothing got fixed. Maybe some halftime adjustments could make a positive difference in the future.
Very small sample at this point. Next couple weeks we'll know better.

Very small sample at this point. Next couple weeks we'll know better.
I was trying to being cute. 25 points was pretty anemic even for the 1st half of the 1st game. But Coach Woodson got things pretty well fixed at halftime cause 49 points in half #2 is a strong showing anytime during the year. My thoughts were, bitching is generic, cheap and showy.

It’s a freaking exhibition. I could’ve easily come on here several times last year with I told you so. So hold the attaboy stuff until February. I wouldn’t want you guys to break an arm patting yourself on your back.
I think it will be a major issue but we can agree to disagree.

I watched Todd Leary on Jim Coyle's show yesterday and he said something very interesting, and noteworthy to me, that will get forgotten after last night's news. But, he said MM in his opinion is the best shooter/form since Jay Edwards. Jay Friggin' Edwards. Wow, that's high praise, from a pretty damn good shooter himself!

Check 10:30... (lose the hat Jim!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT