ADVERTISEMENT

Early (VERY early) perceptions

I wasn't surprised individually. Cupps is an active defender with some steals and was burned a couple of times. I think he will learn and use effort when needed to counter speed and size.

Sparks and Walker confirmed my hopes that they could play early and often. Hope Sparks just has a sprained ankle.

Looking for a better start and to finish better at the rim in the final tune up. For now, I will just call it first game jitters and first game under the lights.

Mgbako limited athletically? Not sure I've heard this take before, but I did not watch.
I was surprised to hear that said too, but I actually heard it said from someone that was more of a writer or recruitnik on a podcast. I guess he's just not a jumping jack or quick leaper.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Watched the replay (thanks) and have to say I’m somewhat pleasantly surprised. It was definitely ragged, but I felt like they looked okay. I liked the way the ball moved and felt like the D was above where I expected it for an early season game. More importantly, they just look’d the part of having a very high ceiling. We’ve got some “Dudes” out there and it’s been awhile since we could say that. One thing I did hate, missed FT’s.…I really can’t stand the thought of another poor FT team.

Reactions: sglowrider
How is Mgbako limited athletically? Also saw this mentioned in an article from a week or so ago.

Is he slow? Not smooth? Poor lateral movement?

I have never seen him play, but “limited athletically” doesn’t seem to fit such a highly-rated guy.
I think a lot of that is "Echo Talk". People hear it from one or two "experts" and then they automatically state it as a fact.

Of course he is limited athletically. Every player has an upper limit. However, you can make a case that he is above average in athletic ability. And, athletic ability is just one factor in determining a player's performance.

They also said the same thing about the "Hick from French Lick."

Last edited:
I told you all no shooting victor you said we have shooting 5 shooters. It's going to be a long season.
It’s a freaking exhibition. I could’ve easily come on here several times last year with I told you so. So hold the attaboy stuff until February. I wouldn’t want you guys to break an arm patting yourself on your back.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think a lot of that is "Echo Talk". People hear on ir two expers express it ans then they automatically stte it as a fact.

Of course he is limited athletically. Every player has an upper limit. However, you can make a case that he is above average in athletic ability. And, athletic ability is just one factor in a player's performance,
I mean was kopp athletic or quick? Some of these guys…🤦🏻

I think it’s based off him supposed to be a one and done.
Nobody knows if he is. If he averages 10 and 5 while guarding at the 3 he’s gone. I mean who really cares. This was practice. They won by missing a ton of layups. U of Indy took 35 threes and only hit 8. Do you guys want that? Don’t expect mid season form in the next 3 weeks. This bunch is still cutting teeth and many of the people on this board never stopped cutting teeth.

Nobody knows if he is. If he averages 10 and 5 while guarding at the 3 he’s gone. I mean who really cares. This was practice. They won by missing a ton of layups. U of Indy took 35 threes and only hit 8. Do you guys want that? Don’t expect mid season form in the next 3 weeks. This bunch is still cutting teeth and many of the people on this board never stopped cutting teeth.
We IU fans are passionately engrossed in our team like those Dr. Pepper commercials.

I'm not sure many on this board HAVE teeth

Have not even watched a half of basketball yet, but I have some opinions 😂
  • Putting aside the chaotic play … first game.
  • Mgbako’s form looks solid, athletically limited so he will have to have space and use good footwork.
  • Love Cupps handle and face defense … could be a surprise this year
  • Ware did not seem to have energy (I know that is his “issue” so maybe I was hoping for more)
  • Free throws … my gawd please don’t tell me we are going to struggle there again
  • CJ Gunn … love the energy
  • Trey is going to be fine
  • Really like what Walker/Sparks bring to the table … should help
  • Xavier … not sure how decision making will improve, but it needs to
  • Reneau has not finished strong, but I think he will be steady production for us
I think the guys are surprised by how good this Indianapolis team is … they have athleticism and are well coached.
I think we have talent and depth but do we have enough assassins. Guys with the killer instinct. We shall find out.

Some of the posters on this thread and others today are being entirely too critical of this team and performance. I wasn’t there but watched the highlights. Tons of good things going on.
My only concern is the injury to Sparks.

Some of the posters on this thread and others today are being entirely too critical of this team and performance. I wasn’t there but watched the highlights. Tons of good things going on.
My only concern is the injury to Sparks.
Woody says he’s fine and expects to play vs Marion. God he try’s hard and has to be the biggest guy on IUs roster since???

Sounds like lots of first game jitters. Lots of new faces to incorporate. X trying out his foot in a real-game situation. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this first game other than it gave the new guys a chance to get their first college-level experience. I'm glad they had the rough start because it will give Woody more film to show the guys what needs to be corrected.

Reactions: asindc
I think a lot of that is "Echo Talk". People hear it from one or two "experts" and then they automatically state it as a fact.

Of course he is limited athletically. Every player has an upper limit. However, you can make a case that he is above average in athletic ability. And, athletic ability is just one factor in determining a player's performance.

Anyone playing basketball at this level is “athletic” so stop with the non-starter. You have to have a possess level of athleticism to play in the NBA, especially as a OAD, or be off the charts skilled. There are guys who get drafted off size and athleticism alone, I’m not sure MM falls into that category.

Last edited:
IU needs to shoot more than 10 3's a game.... First game but we need to get guards to attempt more 3's. Or settle on one and let him shoot the rock. Teams we play would average 20-25 3's against IU. When they hit we would usually lose.

I think the folks who say that are referring to NBA athleticism. He looked plenty athletic for a college athlete, but I think they are already projecting to the NBA, where he might be more of an "average" athlete, or at least not exceptional.

Hot take -. The change in the block/charge rule increases the emphasis and offensive advantage on taking the ball to the rim and finishing strong and thus lessening the emphasis on hitting 30% to 35% in high volume from 3.

IUs skill in going to the rim and drawing fouls and making 70% from the charity stripe is more important than designing offense, especially early in the season, to get 3 attempts.

Good production from Ware and the frontcourt. Guards need to shoot more. Need to shoot better at the stripe. And If we're Coach I'd be most concerned about the rebounding. This team should dominate in that category this year and by the looks of the box score D2 Indy hung with them.

Hot take -. The change in the block/charge rule increases the emphasis and offensive advantage on taking the ball to the rim and finishing strong and thus lessening the emphasis on hitting 30% to 35% in high volume from 3.

IUs skill in going to the rim and drawing fouls and making 70% from the charity stripe is more important than designing offense, especially early in the season, to get 3 attempts.
👆🏻 this. Ware hitting one a game and Mac hitting a few helps.

Woodson hasn’t fixed the shooting.
I felt that way before yesterday's game, and obviously the results would say it hasn't been fixed, but I'm still hoping others are correct and it was just first game jitters. Galloway didn't even attempt one. I thought there were several times where we could have easily kicked it out for an open 3, and instead put up a contested or off-balance shot and that's the best way for XJ and TG to get open looks, so hopefully we'll balance that. FT shooting? WTF? C'mon Coach, one or two good running sessions should correct that. No reason for that to continue to plague a team and I hope he makes that known pronto!

I felt that way before yesterday's game, and obviously the results would say it hasn't been fixed, but I'm still hoping others are correct and it was just first game jitters. Galloway didn't even attempt one. I thought there were several times where we could have easily kicked it out for an open 3, and instead put up a contested or off-balance shot and that's the best way for XJ and TG to get open looks, so hopefully we'll balance that. FT shooting? WTF? C'mon Coach, one or two good running sessions should correct that. No reason for that to continue to plague a team and I hope he makes that known pronto!

Did you listen to MW post game on the radio?
He stated that they had shot FT's well in game situation practices.

Did you listen to MW post game on the radio?
He stated that they had shot FT's well in game situation practices.
I did. I definitely think it's mental, but there's got to be a switch to be flipped. He ripped them at halftime and they responded. I am hoping for the same for FT shooting.

URGENT- LOST PERSONS REPORT-

Name: Xavier Johnson Location: Bloomington IN
Description: one of the best PGs in the midwest

if you know his whereabouts or have any details, please contact Coach Mike Woodson, Cook Hall Bloomington IN ASAP. His presence is desperately needed.

TIC....to a degree.

• Wow
URGENT- LOST PERSONS REPORT-

Name: Xavier Johnson Location: Bloomington IN
Description: one of the best PGs in the midwest

if you know his whereabouts or have any details, please contact Coach Mike Woodson, Cook Hall Bloomington IN ASAP. His presence is desperately needed.

TIC....to a degree.
Needed to get Gunn and Cupps some time. X will be fine. If he's healthy, we know what we'll get from him. And while there will be ups and downs, it'll largely be really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT