ADVERTISEMENT

Early (VERY early) perceptions

IUAPEX

Senior
Jan 26, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Have not even watched a half of basketball yet, but I have some opinions 😂
  • Putting aside the chaotic play … first game.
  • Mgbako’s form looks solid, athletically limited so he will have to have space and use good footwork.
  • Love Cupps handle and face defense … could be a surprise this year
  • Ware did not seem to have energy (I know that is his “issue” so maybe I was hoping for more)
  • Free throws … my gawd please don’t tell me we are going to struggle there again
  • CJ Gunn … love the energy
  • Trey is going to be fine
  • Really like what Walker/Sparks bring to the table … should help
  • Xavier … not sure how decision making will improve, but it needs to
  • Reneau has not finished strong, but I think he will be steady production for us
I think the guys are surprised by how good this Indianapolis team is … they have athleticism and are well coached.

• Mgbako’s form looks solid, athletically limited so he will have to have space and use good footwork.
  • Ware did not seem to have energy (I know that is his “issue” so maybe I was hoping for more)
  • Free throws … my gawd please don’t tell me we are going to struggle there again
  • Reneau has not finished strong, but I think he will be steady production for us
I think the guys are surprised by how good this Indianapolis team is … they have athleticism and are well coached.
We are on the struggle bus!

That type of perception would say Indiana isn't even a tournament team..
Ware better show something..Or I'd be going small quickly...Effort is something you have or don't..

Reactions: stollcpa
Listening on the radio feed.

UIndy is pretty good. Not sure most realize how much the gap is being closed right now between high major ball and lower college levels.

Having said that, if we don’t have the ability in the 2nd half to dig in and put them away. That won’t be a very good sign.

Big fan of Coach Woodson but bad karma to talk about great recruiting before they even step on the court.

How is Mgbako limited athletically? Also saw this mentioned in an article from a week or so ago.

Is he slow? Not smooth? Poor lateral movement?

I have never seen him play, but “limited athletically” doesn’t seem to fit such a highly-rated guy.

Listening on the radio feed.

UIndy is pretty good. Not sure most realize how much the gap is being closed right now between high major ball and lower college levels.

Having said that, if we don’t have the ability in the 2nd half to dig in and put them away. That won’t be a very good sign.
They wouldn’t win a game in the BIG

How is Mgbako limited athletically? Also saw this mentioned in an article from a week or so ago.

I have never seen him play, but “limited athletically” doesn’t seem to fit such a highly-rated guy.
He isn’t very explosive or quick

Reactions: Willdog7
Absurd? A D2 winning in the BIG. I highly highly doubt it
They’re not a run of the mill D2 team. They’re picked to win their conference. They won over 25 games last year. Not saying they’d win many, but they’d pick up a win or two, without question.

The better D3 and NAIA teams probably would too.

They’re not a run of the mill D2 team. They’re picked to win their conference. They won over 25 games last year. Not saying they’d win many, but they’d pick up a win or two, without question.

The better D3 and NAIA teams probably would too.
I don’t see it. Minnesota only won 2 last year

Down 27-25 at half
0-4 from 3
5-11 from ft line
This. This! It’s a reoccurring theme that we can’t shoot and yet we never get / recruit shooters. Liam should address that next season, but we need more than one guy who can create and score. It’s really difficult to envision this team being as good, let along better, than last seasons team. JHS and TJD are nba talents. There is not an nba talent level in the team this year. JMO. I am so sick of not having shooters and to shoot like Pooh from free throw line.

Reactions: stollcpa

I would not call him slow … but he is not explosive off the first step for sure. He took it into the paint a couple times and unable to finish at the rim … don’t see him finishing over guys of similar size with athleticism, going to require some craftiness. I also do not think his lateral movement on defense is tier 1 level … he needs to give some space on defense.

He isn’t Victor Oladipo?

Damn. Sparks down. Looked like ankle.

Edit - Walked off. Hopefully nothing that he can’t recover from over a few days.

Mgbako limited athletically? Not sure I've heard this take before, but I did not watch.

Greyhounds went 26-5 last season (D II tourney 1 seed).
Clearly not the cupcake many may have thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT