ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles stolen lyrics charges dropped

Odd

I first learned of this trial last week, and I was thinking to myself this could be heaven or this could be hell. Something didn't add up. Where was the guy (a biographer) who Henley "loaned" the handwritten lyrics to? Why hadn't he been subpoenaed to testify? What took Henley so long (decades) to discover that the draft lyrics were missing? How credible was his testimony, and how reliable is his memory, as he's acknowledged he had a serious substance abuse problem back in the day?

And what's up with this mid-trial waiver of the attorney-client privilege? I can't tell you why.

I first learned of this trial last week, and I was thinking to myself this could be heaven or this could be hell. Something didn't add up. Where was the guy (a biographer) who Henley "loaned" the handwritten lyrics to? Why hadn't he been subpoenaed to testify? What took Henley so long (decades) to discover that the draft lyrics were missing? How credible was his testimony, and how reliable is his memory, as he's acknowledged he had a serious substance abuse problem back in the day?

And what's up with this mid-trial waiver of the attorney-client privilege? I can't tell you why.
Half the distance takes you twice as long.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

<obligatory IANAL>

Is it possible that after Henley and others testified for the prosecution, their attorneys realized they had perjured themselves?

<obligatory IANAL>

Is it possible that after Henley and others testified for the prosecution, their attorneys realized they had perjured themselves?
Have not had a chance to fully dive into this today but, at first glance, it looks like Henley withheld a ton of evidence, some of it potentially exculpatory, including emails that cast doubt on Henley's claim that the handwritten lyrics had been stolen. The judge said that Henley and his counsel tried to weaponize their attorney-client privilege "to hide information that they believed would be damaging [to the prosecution]."

If this is true, Henley's going to have a nasty reputation as a cruel dude.

Have not had a chance to fully dive into this today but, at first glance, it looks like Henley withheld a ton of evidence, some of it potentially exculpatory, including emails that cast doubt on Henley's claim that the handwritten lyrics had been stolen. The judge said that Henley and his counsel tried to weaponize their attorney-client privilege "to hide information that they believed would be damaging [to the prosecution]."

But none of that would have been apparent without the waiving of the privilege, right? What would have possessed them to do that only after Henley testified? Gotta believe the attorneys found themselves in an ethical dilemma of some sort.

Celebrate Way To Go GIF by DraftKings

Great job with the clever song references. I can almost see a way that every song off of Desperado could be applied to this dispute...

Great job with the clever song references. I can almost see a way that every song off of Desperado could be applied to this dispute...
The album is excellent and the title track is a masterpiece, but Henley wasn't satisfied with his vocals on the song and I'm not sure the Eagles even released it as a single. Linda Ronstadt's cover was great and a huge commercial success, but the Eagles' version is the gold standard.

Check out this clip from 2015 with Henley on the Howard Stern show. Henley talks about his experience recording Desperado in the UK with the London Philharmonic and how he was scared out of his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: BradStevens
The album is excellent and the title track is a masterpiece, but Henley wasn't satisfied with his vocals on the song and I'm not sure the Eagles even released it as a single. Linda Ronstadt's cover was great and a huge commercial success, but the Eagles' version is the gold standard.

Check out this clip from 2015 with Henley on the Howard Stern show. Henley talks about his experience recording Desperado in the UK with the London Philharmonic and how he was scared out of his mind.

I’m a fan of Henleys music. But he is a giant prick.

In the immortal words of the Dude.............

Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the ****in' Eagles, man!

I’m a fan of Henleys music. But he is a giant prick.
I don't know much about his personal life other than the fact that he had a serious drug problem when he was young, and he knocked up Stevie Nicks. What makes him a prick?

Well, this
I don't know much about his personal life other than the fact that he had a serious drug problem when he was young, and he knocked up Stevie Nicks. What makes him a prick?
I’ve heard him speak on other topics and he comes off as an asshole. He played hardball with the band on money for a long time, and has a hard ass position on fair use of his music on YouTube (Rick Beado has a video about him on his channel). Add in this case, and he comes off as a dick to me. It’s too bad. I’m a huge fan of his voice and some of his songs are in my all time favorites.

once they saw his lyin' eyes they decided it was just wasted time

Reactions: Univee2
\
I’ve heard him speak on other topics and he comes off as an asshole.
That's the consensus from anyone that's met him... he also abused, filmed and most likely raped a lot of underage groupies. A complete POS ..

Well, this

I’ve heard him speak on other topics and he comes off as an asshole. He played hardball with the band on money for a long time, and has a hard ass position on fair use of his music on YouTube (Rick Beado has a video about him on his channel). Add in this case, and he comes off as a dick to me. It’s too bad. I’m a huge fan of his voice and some of his songs are in my all time favorites.
felder's book is very revealing

even though it's obviously told from his point of bias

Well, this

I agree that he looks bad in this case and, yeah, he's extremely aggressive when it comes to his IP. I know he spent serious coin in a trademark infringement case going after a hotel in Mexico several years ago. The hotel had opened as the Hotel California years before Henley composed the song and album, but then was sold and rebranded under a different name. It was subsequently sold again, after Henley wrote the song, and the new owners went back to the original name. They went further, though, playing Hotel California music throughout the property, selling Hotel California-branded merch, and claiming they were the inspiration for the song. Case settled with an NDA.

Reactions: BradStevens
I agree that he looks bad in this case and, yeah, he's extremely aggressive when it comes to his IP. I know he spent serious coin in a trademark infringement case going after a hotel in Mexico several years ago. The hotel had opened as the Hotel California years before Henley composed the song and album, but then was sold and rebranded under a different name. It was subsequently sold again, after Henley wrote the song, and the new owners went back to the original name. They went further, though, playing Hotel California music throughout the property, selling Hotel California-branded merch, and claiming they were the inspiration for the song. Case settled with an NDA.
I guess you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

(I need a shower.)

• Love
Reactions: Bowlmania
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT