Justin Smith (6-7)
Jerome Hunter (6-7)
Damezi Anderson (6-6)

Backcourt:
Devonte Green
Al Durham
Robert Phinisee
Romeo Langford

The days of lacking front court depth are thankfully going to be long gone. We will have a lot of versatility, toughness, and physicality. We will still need some shooting/scoring - If only we add a certain difference-maker in the backcourt, the team could be very, very, very good.

Going to need one more 6'10" or taller big... Unless both of the bigs IU currently has undergo some psychological transformations.... Neither one will come close to what Haas has done this year with their current mindset...

Going to need one more 6'10" or taller big... Unless both of the bigs IU currently has undergo some psychological transformations.... Neither one will come close to what Haas has done this year with their current mindset...

Haas didn’t do squat until his senior year. How can you make that assessment of Davis and Moore? lol

Are you the one that started the “worse loss at home” thread?

People Better get off the Davis train.There better big' s in the Missouri Valley. He'll be a body & 5 fouls. That's about it .Plus he's coming off a pretty serious injury.

Ok, very average....

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/isaac_haas_894756.html

Didn’t he lose his starting position at some point last year?
It's a little more complicated, last ;year he rotated time with Swanigan, the year prior it was with Hammons. Also, going into his career, he didn't have the endurance to play long periods of time. His production per minute was always pretty good, he's just getting more minutes now. And it depends on the stat you're following. He's never been an above average rebounder, he's always been great at drawing fouls. His becoming a good free throw shooter is what's moved him up to his current level.

If I remember correctly, it was V.Edwards who was removed from the starting lineup/benched for a time, not Haas. His minutes didn't take a big hit, as he was first off the bench.

Reactions: fpeaugh
It's a little more complicated, last ;year he rotated time with Swanigan, the year prior it was with Hammons. Also, going into his career, he didn't have the endurance to play long periods of time. His production per minute was always pretty good, he's just getting more minutes now. And it depends on the stat you're following. He's never been an above average rebounder, he's always been great at drawing fouls. His becoming a good free throw shooter is what's moved him up to his current level.

If I remember correctly, it was V.Edwards who was removed from the starting lineup/benched for a time, not Haas. His minutes didn't take a big hit, as he was first off the bench.

The point was, Haas is having a break out year this year.

Before this year, I don’t think anyone anticipated him being this good. He has obviously put in some work

If I dream out loud, our roster looks like this next year:

Frontcourt:
Deron Davis (6-10)
Clifton Moore (6-10)
Juwan Morgan (6-8)
Jake Forrester (6-8)
Race Thompson (6-8)
Justin Smith (6-7)
Jerome Hunter (6-7)
Damezi Anderson (6-6)

Backcourt:
Devonte Green
Al Durham
Robert Phinisee
Romeo Langford

The days of lacking front court depth are thankfully going to be long gone. We will have a lot of versatility, toughness, and physicality. We will still need some shooting/scoring - If only we add a certain difference-maker in the backcourt, the team could be very, very, very good.
Listening to both Hunter and Anderson on line they both have said that they will play a lot of 2 or the 3 and both of them can shoot the ball. Also I watch some clips of Thompson and hit outside shot looks pretty good as well.

Frontcourt:
Deron Davis (6-10)
Clifton Moore (6-10)
Juwan Morgan (6-8)
Jake Forrester (6-8)
Race Thompson (6-8)
Justin Smith (6-7)
Jerome Hunter (6-7)
Damezi Anderson (6-6)

Backcourt:
Devonte Green
Al Durham
Robert Phinisee
Romeo Langford

You forgot McRoberts! He will be a contributor next year - probably not a starter, but his hustle, intangibles and defense will get him playing time

Haas didn’t do squat until his senior year. How can you make that assessment of Davis and Moore? lol

Are you the one that started the “worse loss at home” thread?

I believe I said "This year"... that's because he was 2nd & 3rd fiddle behind Swanigan and Hammonds. Haas has finally gotten the call up and is performing very well. DD was asked to step up this year, and was unable to really stand out prior to his injury. Moore just isn't quite ready to even play this season apparently. Just a couple more work-in-progress players from the Crean era. DD had all summer (remember "the big transformation") knowing he would be the go-to big man. What an opportunity wasted. It's not his physical aspect that is the problem... it's mental. He's got plenty of physical size and talent. So, I stand by what I said, IU needs another BIG for next year...

Yes, I was the one who started that thread. 250 replies & 4500 views later... Don't tell me it wasn't a possibility with this IU team... This team is a roller coaster... Thankfully, they played Purdue well... But you honestly cannot say you didn't have concern that they would just roll over and play dead, or lay an egg against a very strong Purdue team... It was always a definitive possibility...

Hopefully both DD and Moore get some mental conditioning as well before next season... they just have to be ready, because BIG's for next season are a rare commodity at this point... going to be hard to find someone who really wants to stand out.

You forgot McRoberts! He will be a contributor next year - probably not a starter, but his hustle, intangibles and defense will get him playing time
OMG! Geeeez, everybody likes an underdog/walk-on makes good story, but that is a nightmare scenario!

If this team has to rely on a walk-on to be successful next year, with all the talent we have coming in, then I'll have lost faith in CAM. Whose place is he going to take?

Can't think of anyone I want to see sitting on the bench with McRoberts on the floor. Hustle doesn't always win games, points do.

OMG! Geeeez, everybody likes an underdog/walk-on makes good story, but that is a nightmare scenario!

If this team has to rely on a walk-on to be successful next year, with all the talent we have coming in, then I'll have lost faith in CAM. Whose place is he going to take?

Can't think of anyone I want to see sitting on the bench with McRoberts on the floor. Hustle doesn't always win games, points do.

Haven't been watching games lately, have you?

Frontcourt:
Deron Davis (6-10)
Clifton Moore (6-10)
Juwan Morgan (6-8)
Jake Forrester (6-8)
Race Thompson (6-8)
Justin Smith (6-7)
Jerome Hunter (6-7)
Damezi Anderson (6-6)

Backcourt:
Devonte Green
Al Durham
Robert Phinisee
Romeo Langford

Archie completely disagrees with you. After the Maryland game, he was asked about McRoberts and he didn't hesitate in saying, "He just helps us win."

The kid can play. Not everyone needs to be a scorer so your last comment is ridiculous. Points isn't the only important stat. but of course in this day and age that's all most care about. He does a lot of the little things that make a team better. His energy is invaluable, especially for this current team. Glad Archie and many other fans out there can see it even if you don't. He will play a lot of minutes next season.

Archie completely disagrees with you. After the Maryland game, he was asked about McRoberts and he didn't hesitate in saying, "He just helps us win."

The kid can play. Not everyone needs to be a scorer so your last comment is ridiculous. Points isn't the only important stat. but of course in this day and age that's all most care about. He does a lot of the little things that make a team better. His energy is invaluable, especially for this current team. Glad Archie and many other fans out there can see it even if you don't. He will play a lot of minutes next season.

He's currently the 3rd best player on the team. A lot of really good things would have to happen to have Zack pushed to the bench.

I’m afraid you’re vastly overestimating how good next year’s class is. Remember what everyone was saying about Moore? We see how that worked out. McRoberts will definitely play.

....Can't think of anyone I want to see sitting on the bench with McRoberts on the floor. Hustle doesn't always win games, points do.

I understand your perspective. But you cannot dismiss that McRoberts has made good things happen on numerous occasions. Would you change your mind if he worked on his offensive ability in the offseason and averaged 8-10 points next season? I would be ok with him starting as long as his offensive production increased immensely. But you are also right that the incoming talent and returning talent should keep him seated on the bench if his offensive production does not improve between now and then. I will agree with giving him a scholarship for next season, based on his hustle this season alone... he actually earned it, Priller... not so much...

I’m afraid you’re vastly overestimating how good next year’s class is. Remember what everyone was saying about Moore? We see how that worked out. McRoberts will definitely play.

I don’t remember anyone saying anything too great about this year’s class. As a matter of fact it was used as ammunition to fire Crean.

Moore and Al weren’t ranked in the top 150 in all services except rivals for Moore.

IU’s class was 44th on a composite score.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/usa-today-sports-2017-composite-team-boys-basketball-recruiting-rankings

Next year’s class is top 20 without Romeo.

B10 title and final four contender? No. But a lot of talent.

Reactions: cshartle123

H e is not you typical walk on since he was a D1 recruit and played at Vermont. In 2013 UL won a championship with a transfer from George Mason in Luke Hancock so if McRoberts can contribute he should get minutes.

Reactions: Brockway
Starting lineup next year:

1: Green or Phinisee
Durham
2: Langford
Hunter
Anderson
3: McRoberts or Smith
Hunter
Anderson
4: Morgan
Smith
Hunter
Thompson
Forrester
5: Davis
Moore
Thompson
Forrester

Frontcourt:
Deron Davis (6-10)
Clifton Moore (6-10)
Juwan Morgan (6-8)
Jake Forrester (6-8)
Race Thompson (6-8)
Justin Smith (6-7)
Jerome Hunter (6-7)
Damezi Anderson (6-6)

Backcourt:
Devonte Green
Al Durham
Robert Phinisee
Romeo Langford

Davis has been underwhelming. Slow, cannot jump, plays about 6'6", and poor free throw shooter. He has to get a lot better, Moore has to improve a lot, or we have to find some others. I think Moore is a good athlete and has a great upside.

I understand your perspective. But you cannot dismiss that McRoberts has made good things happen on numerous occasions. Would you change your mind if he worked on his offensive ability in the offseason and averaged 8-10 points next season? I would be ok with him starting as long as his offensive production increased immensely. But you are also right that the incoming talent and returning talent should keep him seated on the bench if his offensive production does not improve between now and then. I will agree with giving him a scholarship for next season, based on his hustle this season alone... he actually earned it, Priller... not so much...
He could 8 or 10 a game now if he would just shoot. Had 10 first half against Illinois and never took a shot the second.

I really liked McRoberts' pull up mid range jumper yesterday. He surprised me.

Just by looking at him, Moore seems about 40lbs away from being able to physically handle playing in the B1G, skill set aside. Obviously depends on his metabolism, but not sure that is doable in 1 offseason. He looks to need a redshirt year.

I agree another 6'10" post would be a great add next year, but honestly, I think a bigger area of need is PG. A 5th year steady PG who can run an offense, not turn it over, and knock down open shots and FT's is a bigger need (PU found a couple of those guys a few years ago). No way I like going in to a season counting on a freshman PG... and that's true if they're rated in the top 20, let alone 120. Phinisee's highlights have impressed me, but he's still going to be a freshman and is still going to need to adjust to the college game. I think the roster is going to be a work in progress, and I think CAM has taken a couple gamble on tweener guys (Thompson, Moore and Forrester) hoping they can help in the post, but they are gambles and not guys who can come in and do battle with a guy like Haas. I heard last year's class ('18) was really short on posts, but I expect CAM will place far more emphasis on depth at all positions that CTC did. Ridiculous how thin he left us at PG and in the frontcourt.

Last edited:
I agree another 6'10" post would be a great add next year, but honestly, I think a bigger area of need is PG. A 5th year steady PG who can run an offense, not turn it over, and knock down open shots and FT's is a bigger need (PU found a couple of those guys a few years ago). No way I like going in to a season counting on a freshman PG... and that's true if they're rated in the top 20, let alone 120. Phinisee's highlights have impressed me, but he's still going to be a freshman and is still going to need to adjust to the college game. I think the roster is going to be a work in progress, and I think CAM has taken a couple gamble on tweener guys (Thompson, Moore and Forrester) hoping they can help in the post, but they are gambles and not guys who can come in and do battle with a guy like Haas. I heard last year's class ('18) was really short on posts, but I expect CAM will place far more emphasis on depth at all positions that CTC did. Ridiculous how thin he left us at PG and in the frontcourt.
Would love to have a point guard like Aaron Craft. I know he couldn't shoot well but he was a hell of a leader and made his teammates better.

Reactions: Brockway
I don’t remember anyone saying anything too great about this year’s class. As a matter of fact it was used as ammunition to fire Crean.

Moore and Al weren’t ranked in the top 150 in all services except rivals for Moore.

IU’s class was 44th on a composite score.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/usa-today-sports-2017-composite-team-boys-basketball-recruiting-rankings

Next year’s class is top 20 without Romeo.

B10 title and final four contender? No. But a lot of talent.
No doubt this year’s class is far better than last year’s, but I’m not sure there are very many day 1 difference makers. You don’t remember all the hype about Moore before the year?

It happens every year. Many people on here thought we’d be a better team with Newkirk instead of Yogi because Newkirk is “pass first”. Think about that for a second.

All fans have a tendency to remember only the weaknesses with current players and look only at strengths with incoming players. All fans do it. It’s emotions.

Just by looking at him, Moore seems about 40lbs away from being able to physically handle playing in the B1G, skill set aside. Obviously depends on his metabolism, but not sure that is doable in 1 offseason. He looks to need a redshirt year.
I would expect for him to transfer to a mid major program where he can play. I don’t see the skills or body to play major college basketball.

lol Haas. What a crock ..

You guys get he's a one way player right? He plays 20 minutes a game and only on one side of the floor..He's so slow he gets in the way of his own teammates on the defense end. We were using him as a screener in the first half yesterday.

I would expect for him to transfer to a mid major program where he can play. I don’t see the skills or body to play major college basketball.
Recheck your divination Nostradumbass. You read the pig intestines wrong.

McRoberts gave basketball up completely and sat out one year then walked on. Is he a senior in the classroom? I realize he has a year eligibility but if he was going to give up basketball completely and graduates this year, why is he sticking around? Seems basketball may not be so important to him.

No doubt this year’s class is far better than last year’s, but I’m not sure there are very many day 1 difference makers. You don’t remember all the hype about Moore before the year?

It happens every year. Many people on here thought we’d be a better team with Newkirk instead of Yogi because Newkirk is “pass first”. Think about that for a second.

All fans have a tendency to remember only the weaknesses with current players and look only at strengths with incoming players. All fans do it. It’s emotions.

Again, I remember many people being like “WTF” when Newkirk committed. I know because I was one of them.

He lost his playing time for a terrible Pitt team and couldn’t shoot.

I thought the hype was Moore needed a year of development.

Again, I remember many people being like “WTF” when Newkirk committed. I know because I was one of them.

He lost his playing time for a terrible Pitt team and couldn’t shoot.
There were double digit posters saying Newkirk would be better than Yogi because Yogi wasn’t “pass first”. Hard to believe.

That was when people were blaming Vonleh and Yogi for Crean’s coaching flaws. As absurd as it was. And don’t expect anyone to own up to it now.

Reactions: cshartle123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT