ADVERTISEMENT

A frightening survey

Yes and honestly one of the ways to start to "fix" some things would be to go back to the less democratic (small d) and more republican (little r) manner in which we picked senators by repealing the 17th amendment. That would kick the picking of those positions back to state legislatures.

It is my opinion that our current popular election method almost ensures that we do not get the best and brightest for our representatives because many of the best and brightest are ruled out by the nature of these things. Too unattractive, not charismatic enough, not willing to have their personal lives gone through to find every misstep in their lives, etc.

The Senate is currently just a longer tenured version of the House which is not what it was initially intended to be. Let the state legislatures pick Senators again and maybe curb their terms to 3 (18 years) and you might start to see a little bit of the gridlock break up as the people who like to hear themselves talk become a little less important than the people who know how to get things done.

You want the Indiana legislature picking senators!? The INDIANA legislature!?

Reactions: UncleMark
Relatively speaking, no they aren't. Do you not think there is a correlation between IQ and income?

If those surveys are completed by groups with landlines, that means they skew even heavier towards lower intelligence and older people. Older people with landlines that are smart and still working aren't wasting their time with a survey.
Older people, such as myself, often have landlines because they are required with services such as Lifeline should they need emergency help. I also trend toward the lower intelligence part too.

You want the Indiana legislature picking senators!? The INDIANA legislature!?
State legislatures are many times a result of being heavily gerrymandered. So in Indiana, for example, 40% of the state may be Democrats and have only 20% of the seats in the legislature.

By voting directly for the U.S. Senate a popular Democrat could actually win by getting say a third of the Republicans. His chances in a state legislative vote system would be virtually impossible.

You’re not facing the problem and your solution is not a solution. The basic problem is quality of citizenry. Solve that.

Well the founding fathers thought so little of direct democracy and the mob of "citizenry", that they intended to setup a govt where only the House (and neither the President nor Senate) were selected by the mob.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Not all definitions of "progressive" are the pejorative definitions often seen used by traditionalists and/or those who refer to themselves as "conservatives".
Teddy Roosevelt was a progressive, a nationalist progressive. So an early Bernie and he is generally thought highly of.

Teddy Roosevelt was a progressive, a nationalist progressive. So an early Bernie and he is generally thought highly of.

Progressive by some definitions is about change.

Change is usually opposed by traditionalists who fear change and/or have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Having said that, change for the sake of change as in anything would be better can be foolhardy. But here again, even what appeared as foolhardy can actually work or be modified.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
And I think this quote shows that I do have your argument down, and this is the part I vehemently disagree with. I refuse to cow to these people. They truly want a civil war? F*cking give it to them. Backing off for fear of it just means they get what they want without putting anything on the line.
"****ing give it to them?"

Really?

Stop and think about how many deaths a present-day civil war in the U.S. would result in, here and worldwide. How much trauma, poverty, chaos.

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Change is usually opposed by traditionalists who fear change and/or have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Having said that, change for the sake of change as in anything would be better can be foolhardy. But here again, even what appeared as foolhardy can actually work or be modified.

Yep, there are things I think progressives want that are more change for change sake. Those tend to be the things that really drive conservatives crazy.

Society changes, we have been fairly uniform since the 60s. A lot of what we are seeing is normal pressure to change vs people who like where we were (or those that want to retrench to pre-60s).

Our system really favors those supporting staying put.

Reactions: hoot1
But change in only one direction and that direction they get to define. About all people are for change as long as it's a change they like. The USSC shooting down Roe vs Wade was a change but the progressives didn't like that change.

But change in only one direction and that direction they get to define. About all people are for change as long as it's a change they like. The USSC shooting down Roe vs Wade was a change but the progressives didn't like that change.
It is change, but going back to 1970 is more retrenchment than progressive.

Since Roe was passed conservative legal scholars
saw it as a trumped
up change without a constitutional leg to stand on.

Then over the next 50 years the country remained fairly evenly divided concerning abortion except for a majority of Republicans who were adamantly opposed to Roe.

Seems to me, those who didn't see a compelling reason to overthrow Roe included more than just progressives.

Really?

Stop and think about how many deaths a present-day civil war in the U.S. would result in, here and worldwide. How much trauma, poverty, chaos.
He doesn't mean it. Most of the people who talk about a true civil war are either talking out their ass or they are under the delusion that they are somehow going to have an easy "win".

He doesn't mean it. Most of the people who talk about a true civil war are either talking out their ass or they are under the delusion that they are somehow going to have an easy "win".
We’re not going to have a civil war. There’s not going to be shooting in the streets. Neighbors aren’t going to be killing neighbors.

Little green men from Barsoom are much more likely to land at Assembly Hall than for me to pull out the rifle and start shooting.

There’s going to be strife and a lot of strong arguing and maybe a few left crosses. But we’re never going to have a red and a blue army going at it.

There’s not going to be a real movement for secession. The Boilers are never going to add a banner beyond that Helms ersatz joke.

Really?

You seem to be misunderstanding my point. Probably my fault for dipping into a little hyperbole. My "F*cking give it to them" is specifically in contrast to the idea that we perhaps should back off Trump out of fear for how his supporters might react. I firmly believe that the rule of law requires we not give in to that sort of fear, for the same reasons we don't negotiate with terrorists.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
You seem to be misunderstanding my point. Probably my fault for dipping into a little hyperbole. My "F*cking give it to them" is specifically in contrast to the idea that we perhaps should back off Trump out of fear for how his supporters might react. I firmly believe that the rule of law requires we not give in to that sort of fear, for the same reasons we don't negotiate with terrorists.
That last rule is broken all the time. If the terrorist has enough leverage, you have to negotiate with him.

Well the founding fathers thought so little of direct democracy and the mob of "citizenry", that they intended to setup a govt where only the House (and neither the President nor Senate) were selected by the mob.
That might be part of the picture. Here’s another part:

Democracy and the Origins of Public Schools

Preparing people for democratic citizenship was a major reason for the creation of public schools.

The Founding Fathers maintained that the success of the fragile American democracy would depend on the competency of its citizens. They believed strongly that preserving democracy would require an educated population that could understand political and social issues and would participate in civic life, vote wisely, protect their rights and freedoms, and resist tyrants and demagogues. Character and virtue were also considered essential to good citizenship, and education was seen as a means to provide moral instruction and build character. While voters were limited to white males, many leaders of the early nation also supported educating girls on the grounds that mothers were responsible for educating their own children, were partners on family farms, and set a tone for the virtues of the nation

Reactions: Morrison
That might be part of the picture. Here’s another part:

Democracy and the Origins of Public Schools

Preparing people for democratic citizenship was a major reason for the creation of public schools.

The Founding Fathers maintained that the success of the fragile American democracy would depend on the competency of its citizens. They believed strongly that preserving democracy would require an educated population that could understand political and social issues and would participate in civic life, vote wisely, protect their rights and freedoms, and resist tyrants and demagogues. Character and virtue were also considered essential to good citizenship, and education was seen as a means to provide moral instruction and build character. While voters were limited to white males, many leaders of the early nation also supported educating girls on the grounds that mothers were responsible for educating their own children, were partners on family farms, and set a tone for the virtues of the nation
But it’s easier to just blindly follow a demigod

“70% of adults—with very similar results for Democrats and Republicans—agree that “American democracy only serves the interests of the wealthy and powerful.”

Worrisome, but expected. This has been taught by Woodstock Nation educators since the 1980’s. The dumb have ignored their own experience and believed it.

“More than a third (36%) of American adults (56% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats) agree that “the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.”

Not violence, but definitely law and order.
Define "traditional American way of life."

Bingo!

That last rule is broken all the time. If the terrorist has enough leverage, you have to negotiate with him.
I doubt that you believe that is applicable here, but if you do, what exactly would be the leverage you think would be had in this situation?

I believe that the threat that Crazy was insinuating was that supporters of the former President would push for a civil war and that it could get ugly and violent if the former President was prosecuted. I certainly could be wrong about that and may be conflating things, but that was the insinuation that I got.

If that's the case, there is no reason to negotiate. They hold no leverage. Their support is not substantial enough to push their civil war and resorting to violence will only lessen that support. Make a persuasive case for your preferred political choices or call it a day.

What I heard from Goat was less "let's all arm ourselves and have a real war that costs hundreds of thousands of lives" and more "if that's what you feel you need to do, bring it, because you are overplaying an already weak hand."

Reactions: iuwclurker
I believe that the threat that Crazy was insinuating was that supporters of the former President would push for a civil war and that it could get ugly and violent if the former President was prosecuted. I certainly could be wrong about that and may be conflating things, but that was the insinuation that I got.
I think I have made it clear, several times, that the adverse impact does not have to be violent. Depending on how things went, for both sides, you can see a whole range of actions from nothing much happens up to some violent reaction.

For the wide swath in between, I think the most likely long term action is petty political revenge by the parties whenever they have the opportunity to do so. I also think it is possible to create criminals out of most of our leaders because our current political structure is corrupt at its core. Handing over power becomes less palatable if you face a wave of prosecutions each time it happens.

I have also said repeatedly that they have Trump being an asshole. They have him dithering for awhile because of petty revenge. They have him wanting to legally contest an election on shaky grounds. None of that is a crime. He would get the opportunity in a court case to cross examine witnesses. You sure that there is a rock solid case to convict? I am not. Do you believe that any conviction ends up at the Supreme Court? I do. And if the conviction appears to veer back and forth through the courts based on political beliefs, what does that do to faith in the justice system. If he is found not guilty, will the convict him half of the country accept that? Of course they won't.

That is what I am arguing. You have a flimsy case for true criminal conviction and even bringing the case is going to have fallout that is potentially bigger than sticking it to Trump. You don't have to have guns for adverse outcomes.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
About that “ rule of law” thingy.

Rule of law would have required those who protested at the homes of SCOTUS justices should have been arrested and prosecuted. Do you think the failure to enforce the law was because of the belief such DOJ action would prompt other violent response? If so, isn’t that indirectly negotiating with terrorists?

Or maybe the DOJ agreed with the protesters? If that is the case, the rule of law doesn’t mean shit.

Polls support the idea that Cult 45 members are indeed that nutty

1 in 3 Americans think violence against the government can be justified

Based on the poll question the way it was put, I am surprised the number is that low.

1 in 3 Americans say they believe violence against the government can at times be justified.

Polls support the idea that Cult 45 members are indeed that nutty

1 in 3 Americans think violence against the government can be justified

Why wouldn't a high number of Americans say that?

The nation was born of violence. More than once. And now we can use social media to demand recognition of our ideas … or else. We anonymously justify violence by “our side” all the time.

Thomas Jefferson preached that the tree of liberty required the blood of tyrants every so often. When writing to John Adams in 1787, awaiting copies of the draft Constitution, and lamenting “the effect of impudent and persevering lying,” and complaining that the British media of the day had convinced the world that America was in chaos and anarchy (he called them “gazeteers” - a phrase that needs re-use), he said it only ever properly applied to Massachusetts, and “God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion.”

Violence is the voice of many - the uneducable, the unheard, the selfish, the puppet. And it teaches all sides who are subject to it terrible and unanticipated lessons - which are forgotten over time, and renewed when the dogs of violence get unleashed again.

I’m surprised the numbers aren't higher.

Why wouldn't a high number of Americans say that?
It's a poll that apparently has been taken repeatedly over the years.

The number saying "yes" keeps going up, and up, and up. There is a clear trend toward a growing violent hatred of government, which is disturbing.

It's a poll that apparently has been taken repeatedly over the years.

The number saying "yes" keeps going up, and up, and up. There is a clear trend toward a growing violent hatred of government, which is disturbing.
It is disturbing in what it says about our government. When people think things are going well, the thought that we could ever get to that point is apparently far from their minds.

This is just another indicator that things are not going well. And no, that isn't all relative to one man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT