ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan said no. Sean Miller is next... (EDIT: Donovan still interested, just a little hangup)

Donovan's agent started that rumor. He's been trying to negotiate a modest extension (2 to 3 years) since there's some fear that Westbrook will opt-out and be in Laker gold in 2018. BD doesn't want to dive into a potential rebuild with minimum years left and no bargaining position. Well played if they can get it, I say.
So no IU interest?

This entire post is flame bait. "OP" is laughing
Never turned down an offer without gaining something new from OKC or that would of been in the news the next day via ESPN.
Contracts are public info they would of been all over that crap.
It's Mickey Mouse fake

Reactions: moneyadvisor
My aunt lives in Arizona and I will see her this weekend at a funeral. I will ask her if Miller is happy in Arizona. She probably doesn't know who she is and I would still trust her opinion over anything I read on a message board.

It makes sense he wouldn't want to leave.He has done well and probably has a nice recruiting network set up.
It's an opportunity to go from Top 20 attendance to Top 10, more rabid fans, better facilities, better recruiting budget, better local recruiting options, and better program historically. It's a chance to become the 3rd great coach at a basketball blueblood. Coaches, the great ones, have oversized egos and embrace challenges and opportunities to go from a good situation to a great one.

Things to say in this thread:

1.) Crean is still head coach
2.) Donovan is in his first season at OKC. He would never leave that early unless he was absolutely miserable.
3.) Why would Sean Miller leave Arizona? Why? No connections. No reason. Heck, he's a recruiting guy, and he wouldn't even do as well at IU recruiting as what he gets at U of A. That is a fact.
you lost me at "Donovan is in his first season at OKC"....what happened to 2015-16?

Reactions: hoosierdug
Well stated. In my case, you're right, the desire for change causes the wishing that is receptive to stories of UFO's, Bigfoot and Donovan. But your post is a good dose of reality.
If you can't trust the second cousin to the brother of the guy who cuts Fred's hair, then I don't want to live in this world.

It's an opportunity to go from Top 20 attendance to Top 10, more rabid fans, better facilities, better recruiting budget, better local recruiting options, and better program historically. It's a chance to become the 3rd great coach at a basketball blueblood. Coaches, the great ones, have oversized egos and embrace challenges and opportunities to go from a good situation to a great one.
Arizona isn't without tradition. They are likely hungry to get another NCAA title. I can't speak on their fan base, but they are the top basketball school in their region. He can recruit nationally as well as anyone and should have his pick of the southwest.

I think he would do great things at IU. He can do that from Arizona. The only reason I can see for him to leave is to get better national media attention and be closer to a larger numbers of recruits.

If I had to guess several of the top coaches are entrenched at Elite Programs or the NBA (Stevens, Donovan, Sean Miller, Bennett) and is more more of a timing issue, it could be (Marshall, Holtmann, Archie Miller, or Alford) that would be very open to the IU opportunity.

AZ went out and got their guy and I doubt that Sean would trade what he has going at AZ for IU. I think Indiana is still a better than good job but it is not going to be over the top good. We have decent funds to spend on a coach but not unlimited and to move someone that is already making good money and is in a good situation with fans, admin, recruits is not going to happen. I never think it hurts to ask but I don't see how we grab someone like Sean at this time.

If you can't trust the second cousin to the brother of the guy who cuts Fred's hair, then I don't want to live in this world.
upon closer observation....Bigfoot, UFO's and Billy Donovan? OK....I'll play:

Which is not seafood?
Catfish
Shrimp
Crabs
Ribs

Kinda the same thing......

Just a heads up, I spoke too soon. Apparently Donovan is still interested. The hang up is that he wants to coach through the NBA playoffs while IU wants him to start in April. More to come!

Just a heads up, I spoke too soon. Apparently Donovan is still interested. The hang up is that he wants to coach through the NBA playoffs while IU wants him to start in April. More to come!
why in the hell does the stuff we WANT to hear have to be so dam cryptic? Every program looking for a coach is public knowledge...but not at IU.....we are truly invisible.

funny-celebrity-pictures-youre-excited-feel-these-nipples.jpg

I doubt Miller leaves Arizona for IU. I still think its down to Donovan or Alford. I would be happy with Archie or Sean Miller. I also wouldn't rule out Greg Marshall..
Take Alford out of those names and I'd take any of those guys and be happy!

Sean Miller is NOT,repeat is NOT leaving Arizona. He loves it here in sunny Arizona.

Coopster
Hoosier living in AZ.
Funny, the guy I know that talks to both he and Archie says something quite different. Not saying he is leaving but he doesn't love it. He almost took the Maryland job a few yrs ago.

Things to say in this thread:

1.) Crean is still head coach
2.) Donovan is in his first season at OKC. He would never leave that early unless he was absolutely miserable.
3.) Why would Sean Miller leave Arizona? Why? No connections. No reason. Heck, he's a recruiting guy, and he wouldn't even do as well at IU recruiting as what he gets at U of A. That is a fact.
Which fact should I start with, Billy D is finishing his second yr at OKC. Crean is gone, and you have no idea what Miller feels. So none of what you posted are facts at all.

Reactions: Hoosier Booey

If OKC gets bounced in the first round wouldn't that be the end of April? Kind of weird wishing a possible future coach to lose, but I find myself saying it.

Reactions: mazz
Coaches, the great ones, have oversized egos and embrace challenges and opportunities to go from a good situation to a great one.

I agree...and yet some posters here are convinced that B.S. would leave the BFC (Boston Freakin' Celtics), arguably the hub of the basketball universe. He has reached a position that is the definition of "destination job".

I agree...and yet some posters here are convinced that B.S. would leave the BFC (Boston Freakin' Celtics), arguably the hub of the basketball universe. He has reached a position that is the definition of "destination job".
in case you haven't noticed....the Stevens fantasizing has all but disappeared...Donovan on the other hand....isn't gone yet....I doubt he would come...but I'm willing to wait for that official snub....

you guys all lost me with all the love for Donovan.
You said he was a "soldier of fortune" despite the fact that he's only had 3 head coaching jobs (and only 1 assistant job) in 23 years, and was at Florida for 19 years, winning 2 national titles and having numerous other really good years. You also insinuated that he only had one good class, which is completely asinine. You then said Randy Wittman would have more success in college, which I have no clue where that came from, since he's never coached in college.

As usual with your opinions, I think most people are fine with "losing you."

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT