ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan said no. Sean Miller is next... (EDIT: Donovan still interested, just a little hangup)

Grotto_22

Junior
Sep 18, 2005
According to reliable poster at another board, Billy said the timing is not right. Sean Miller is the next target.

Marshall is who I wanted all along. At least he is still an option.

According to reliable poster at another board, Billy said the timing is not right. Sean Miller is the next target.

Doesn't Sean Miller have the #1 player coming in next year? So it's been hinted on other sites that it might be bad timing too for him.

Reactions: bailey777
You guys actually buy this crap? Common sense tells me Crean is gone, beyond that, who knows. I find it difficult to believe anybody except Glass and those close to him are privy to this information and they're not giving it out to be posted in a message board.

The timing is never right for IU. That being said Donovan was a pipe dream and best and I do not see why Miller would leave Arizona. Archie Miller will be the guy.

If they had actually asked Donovan, he would have had a chance to up his deal with OKC if they want to keep him (which they say they do). Why didn't he do it? He would fire his agent for missing a chance to get him something. You really think that IU is having discussions with Donovan and Sean Miller?

Reactions: hoosier48
If they had actually asked Donovan, he would have had a chance to up his deal with OKC if they want to keep him (which they say they do). Why didn't he do it? He would fire his agent for missing a chance to get him something. You really think that IU is having discussions with Donovan and Sean Miller?
Because Donovan is already making 6 million a year & is owed 18 million over the next 3 years. So how is he going to squeeze more out of OKC. Is he going to say hey IU offered me the same as your paying me?

Doesn't Sean Miller have the #1 player coming in next year? So it's been hinted on other sites that it might be bad timing too for him.
If he is #1 that means he would most likely be there one year before going into the draft.
Can't believe a coach would turn down a job if he wants it otherwise for one year.

Reactions: mazz
I doubt Miller leaves Arizona for IU. I still think its down to Donovan or Alford. I would be happy with Archie or Sean Miller. I also wouldn't rule out Greg Marshall..

I was around for the Sampson coaching search and I was around for the Crean coaching search. The one thing that they had in common was that not a single scrap of supposed insider information actually turned out to be accurate.

I don't think Miller or Donovan are coming here. But I don't for a minute believe that someone with intimate knowledge of the process is floating it out on message boards.

You guys actually buy this crap? Common sense tells me Crean is gone, beyond that, who knows. I find it difficult to believe anybody except Glass and those close to him are privy to this information and they're not giving it out to be posted in a message board.

Some people will believe anything simply because they want a change so bad. However, logic would tell you that first off it is an internet message board source. If he was credible in the past I would still be very leery of it. I mean do you really believe he knows the contents on a meeting that just happened with I assume high ranking IU officials. You think they are going to come out talking to anyone about it? The whole thing is absurd and I have to wonder if there even was a meeting.

I was around for the Sampson coaching search and I was around for the Crean coaching search. The one thing that they had in common was that not a single scrap of supposed insider information actually turned out to be accurate.

I don't think Miller or Donovan are coming here. But I don't for a minute believe that someone with intimate knowledge of the process is floating it out on message boards.
Exactly.

When-Ron-Makes-Understatement.gif

23lk1o4.jpg

Reactions: Hooptdooz

Do NBA teams engage bidding wars for coaches? If they do, it's not something I've ever heard of.

If Billy Donovan had approached Thunder ownership with a "Pay me more or I'm leaving" bargain, I imagine they'd have wished him the best of luck back in the college ranks.

Reactions: mazz

I totally agree with you & was also around here for both. But we like to believe we know something. It sure is fun to talk about too

Reactions: cryano
Do NBA teams engage bidding wars for coaches? If they do, it's not something I've ever heard of.

If Billy Donovan had approached Thunder ownership with a "Pay me more or I'm leaving" bargain, I imagine they'd have wished him the best of luck back in the college ranks.
Well it happens all the time. The team presents the coach with an extension. I work with NBA, NHL and NFL team management every day. The team is a business first. If they want to keep the coach, it is a business decision plain and simple. The owners decide to pay more. I have heard that the OKC ownership group is overjoyed with Billy. They would not let him walk to IU. Also, he has stated numerous times that he was tired of the college babysitting and left for the NBA because he had enough of the coaching at the college level.
Here is what happens mid contract when a team wants to keep you. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ions-president-danny-ainge-coach-brad-stevens

Similar to Sampson and Crean, I'm guessing Surfboard will hire some coach that nobody is really expecting.

Reactions: iu60
I doubt Miller leaves Arizona for IU. I still think its down to Donovan or Alford. I would be happy with Archie or Sean Miller. I also wouldn't rule out Greg Marshall..
Sean Miller is NOT,repeat is NOT leaving Arizona. He loves it here in sunny Arizona.

Coopster
Hoosier living in AZ.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
Sean Miller is NOT,repeat is NOT leaving Arizona. He loves it here in sunny Arizona.

Coopster
Hoosier living in AZ.
Didn't his wife have to come out publicly & make a statement saying she liked it there too. That seems off to me

Coopster
Hoosier living in AZ.
Oooooooohhhh! You live there so of course you know! *eyeroll* Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread, Coopster.

Coopster
Hoosier living in AZ.
Oooooooohhhh! You live there so of course you know! *eyeroll* Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread, Coopster.
You are welcome! I have stated on here many times why he won't leave. His name keeps being mentioned, it amazes me how some people treat people on this board. You included.

Well it happens all the time. The team presents the coach with an extension. I work with NBA, NHL and NFL team management every day. The team is a business first. If they want to keep the coach, it is a business decision plain and simple. The owners decide to pay more. I have heard that the OKC ownership group is overjoyed with Billy. They would not let him walk to IU. Also, he has stated numerous times that he was tired of the college babysitting and left for the NBA because he had enough of the coaching at the college level.
Here is what happens mid contract when a team wants to keep you. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ions-president-danny-ainge-coach-brad-stevens
Was keeping Durant a business decision? Because they sure screwed the pooch on that one. I am guessing they screw the pooch on Westbrook as well. In a player's league, those are the decisions that matter. Ask Orlando about screwing the pooch on Shaq: they never recovered. Shoot, ask the Pacers about trading the #2 pick in the 1984 Draft that could have landed them Jordan: the impact of that is infinite times more than Larry Brown or Larry Bird being the coach.

Boston needs to worry about bringing in the next Bird, McHale, and Parish.

I will echo the OP's statement about the "inside scoops" about coaches: nobody had a clue Sampson or Crean were going to be coach.

Last edited:
You are welcome! I have stated on here many times why he won't leave. His name keeps being mentioned, it amazes me how some people treat people on this board. You included.

How long did it take you to adapt to living on the sun from June 1 til the end of Sept.?

Ok, so we should expect Crean's resignation very soon? I mean, if Donovan said "no" then IU either wanted to talk to him about coaching here or they straight up offered him the job. There's only two things Donovan could have said "no" to. He either said "no" to even discussing the job or said "no" after being offered the job. Either way, why would Crean stay if they were already actively trying to hire another coach? If this "poster at another board" knows this happened, then I would assume Crean knows another coach has already been offered his job.

How long did it take you to adapt to living on the sun from June 1 til the end of Sept.?
The first summer was difficult. Still played golf four days a week. You just don't do stuff outside between 2-6pm. Unless you are in the pool. My arthritis is so much better in the summer now. Love love Az. We have been here ten years now.
Coopster

Reactions: lonnie boyd

Well stated. In my case, you're right, the desire for change causes the wishing that is receptive to stories of UFO's, Bigfoot and Donovan. But your post is a good dose of reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT