ADVERTISEMENT

Docs case dismissed!!!

Pics you say...
dance party dancing GIF

Trump actively obstructed. HRC’s case was gross negligence, that’s probably all they could charge Pence and Biden for too, deliberate would be difficult to prove, but it’s no question Trump’s mishandling case was deliberate. He knew he had them, then returned some and directed his lawyer to say he returned all of them when he hadn’t. That’s a false official statement to the FBI and he continued obstructing the return of what he had. Then he had some moved to hide them. His accomplice pled guilty. It’s all in the indictment. There is a huge difference between the cases. It’s like the difference between being stopped for speeding and cooperating and a guy driving 50 over, refusing to pull over for police and then resisting arrest when they finally get him corned and pulled over.

So, should Biden's taking documents from the SCIF as a Senator be overlooked? And he kept taking them after that as a VP, correct?

I agree it looks like Trump stonewalled, but it also looks like Biden knew the law, but ignored it.

Past practice. I'm not sure there is a case on it since it's so obvious if you think about it.

Bill Barr might be the most recent example?

Hypo: imagine confirming candidate A for a spot as Secretary of Defense. He then goes on a drunken spree, banging prostitutes on the desk of the President, and taking pictures of it for his insta. 10 years later, a new President who is buds with our party bro. wants to appoint him as Secretary of Defense again. Or to another spot that requires Senate approval. Think the Senate needs to advise and consent on that?

Just to add another thought. Should it not also be "so obvious" by AG Garland, that an appointed SC investigating the former President and likely opponent of your boss, needs to be approved by the Senate?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Just to add another thought. Should it not also be "so obvious" by AG Garland, that an appointed SC investigating the former President and likely opponent of your boss, needs to be approved by the Senate?
It seems incredible to me that a former appeals court judge on the DC circuit doesn't have firm grasp of how special counsels work under the current law.

Reactions: ribbont
Sessions didn't do it with Mueller.

Reactions: UncleMark
So, should Biden's taking documents from the SCIF as a Senator be overlooked? And he kept taking them after that as a VP, correct?

I agree it looks like Trump stonewalled, but it also looks like Biden knew the law, but ignored it.
He shouldn’t have had them. His and Pence’s cases are a bit more serious than HRC’s because they may have veeen deliberate, but the precedent was set and without aggravating factors and with returning them they were going to be prosecuted. Plus Biden couldn’t be until 2025. Trump’s case is many times more serious. It shouldn’t be allowed to go without accountability.

He shouldn’t have had them. His and Pence’s cases are a bit more serious than HRC’s because they may have veeen deliberate, but the precedent was set and without aggravating factors and with returning them they were going to be prosecuted. Plus Biden couldn’t be until 2025. Trump’s case is many times more serious. It shouldn’t be allowed to go without accountability.

Then I guess the AG should have had the Senate approve Smith in one the biggest, unprecedented cases of all time against a former President who is also the political opponent of his boss.

People can be pissed at Cannon but should be pissed at Garland.

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Let's not drag this down into the same shitthrowing we already have going on.

I don't understand. Am I being unreasonable to think Garland probably should have gotten Senate approval for such a big case?

Then I guess the AG should have had the Senate approve Smith in one the biggest, unprecedented cases of all time against a former President who is also the political opponent of his boss.

That’s never been necessary. This will likely be reversed. I listened to several legal scholars earlier, left, right and center, and the consensus is reversal. They could be wrong, but they seemed confident.

I don't understand. Am I being unreasonable to think Garland probably should have gotten Senate approval for such a big case?

That may or may not be the case. The question is about the legitimacy of Smith's appointment. If that was bogus, then wouldn't Mueller's been as well?

That’s never been necessary. This will likely be reversed. I listened to several legal scholars earlier, left, right and center, and the consensus is reversal. They could be wrong, but they seemed confident.
I will say I don't think it's open and shut. She probably will be reversed, but it's not like her reasoning is entirely illogical.

That may or may not be the case. The question is about the legitimacy of Smith's appointment. If that was bogus, then wouldn't Mueller's been as well?

Maybe. Was there ever an argument made against Mueller at the time that his appointment was illegitimate? Was there a ruling that it was? Or was it never challenged?

Thanks. I'd like to know what the grounds would be for making that reversal. Where is Cannon wrong?

Me, I think she saw her opportunity and she took it. Even if she is reversed, there will still be a load of time involved. And if she's removed, I would assume the case would essentially go back to square one with a new judge. Cannon did her job -- she's guaranteed this will never see the light of day before the election.

Reactions: Bill4411
Thanks. I'd like to know what the grounds would be for making that reversal. Where is Cannon wrong?

Me, I think she saw her opportunity and she took it. Even if she is reversed, there will still be a load of time involved. And if she's removed, I would assume the case would essentially go back to square one with a new judge. Cannon did her job -- she's guaranteed this will never see the light of day before the election.
I don't understand the argument for removal. Unless a dismissal can't be undone procedurally, and therefore starting over is the only option. I know very little about federal procedure.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don't understand the argument for removal. Unless a dismissal can't be undone procedurally, and therefore starting over is the only option. I know very little about federal procedure.
I don’t understand why people think she’ll be removed. App Ct leans slightly conservative at least by apptmt last I was aware fwiw.

I had it on in the background doing work and I didn’t catch the details of the arguments, mostly just their predictions at the end. Plus I'm not a lawyer. I’m sure our lawyers here will sum up some arguments both ways.

I don’t understand why people think she’ll be removed. App Ct leans slightly conservative at least by apptmt last I was aware fwiw.

They've reversed her twice already. I've read that at some point they'll get tired of her shit and give the case to someone else. May be wishful thinking from the Kommie Kommentators I listen to.

Reactions: cosmickid
They've reversed her twice already. I've read that at some point they'll get tired of her shit and give the case to someone else. May be wishful thinking from the Kommie Kommentators I listen to.
Ive never heard of that. Illegal conduct. Evidence of extrajudicial bias. Fing up rulings ain’t it

Or do it with your own personnel and take the PR hit.

Maybe. Was there ever an argument made against Mueller at the time that his appointment was illegitimate? Was there a ruling that it was? Or was it never challenged?
Yes, it was challenged. Went to DC Circuit. Cannon discusses the case in her opinion.

Ive never heard of that. Illegal conduct. Evidence of extrajudicial bias. Fing up rulings ain’t it
Each circuit can reassign a case based on their own standards. It's not in the FRCP although there are some statutes, I think, re bias/conflict. Here's an article discussing some 11th Circuit standards:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://repository.law.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4546&context=umlr

Great. Now I have to read 93 pages!!!!
She says the Mueller case wasn't well reasoned b/c it assumed the SCt decided the issue in the Nixon case. She says they were wrong because the Nixon language cited was dicta (which isn't binding on lower courts).

Each circuit can reassign a case based on their own standards. It's not in the FRCP although there are some statutes, I think, re bias/conflict. Here's an article discussing some 11th Circuit standards:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://repository.law.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4546&context=umlr
Can’t open but yes bias/conflict/illegal conduct not shitty rulings is what I’m familiar with. And bias is a high bar

She says the Mueller case wasn't well reasoned b/c it assumed the SCt decided the issue in the Nixon case. She says they were wrong because the Nixon language cited was dicta (which isn't binding on lower courts).

Thanks for the cliff notes. My head is hurting with all this legal stuff. I'm sticking to my stock market job.

Can’t open but yes bias/conflict/illegal conduct not shitty rulings is what I’m familiar with. And bias is a high bar
No, it can be something like they don't think the lower court judge will enforce their order in the right way. I've seen it happen in the 7th Cir a few times with the shitty district court judges. I asked one time, didn't win the appeal so it didn't matter.

Try this? Not sure why Google keep giving me those chrome extension links.

Reassigning Cases on Remand in the Interests of Justice, ...​

University of Miami School of Law Institutional Repository
https://repository.law.miami.edu › cgi › viewcontent

PDF

by JD Colan · 2018 · Cited by 1 — This Article describes the general principles underly- ing the Eleventh Circuit's reassignment practices and then questions why reassignment is ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT