ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton interest in IU really growing...

Your point is perfectly reasonable if the goal is to protect his appearance to NBA owners that don’t know how to evaluate a player. The most likely reason guys do not perform very well after an Achilles rupture is that their medical staff advises limited minutes. It’s hard to have a monster season when you are playing twenty minutes a game. The medical staff also advises that it is better for him to continue playing than to not. It would slow his recovery, and hurt his game to keep him out. His path to the NBA is to play very efficiently with limited minutes this year, and break out as a senior. If he doesn’t then he will have to slog it out in the G league or overseas. Archie isn’t going to wait around for him. He has a chance, and it’s up to him to get it done.

The first sentence of your post is especially on point. Only short-sighted NBA talent evaluators would give him a serious look if he didn't play at all next season or played limited minutes on a borderline top-25 team. But it is quite possible that there will be at least one or two teams that will do exactly that. Personally, I think it is best that he redshirts if he is not at least 90% at the start of the season. I ruptured my left Achilles, so I know it is no joke from a basketball standpoint. Redshirting will maximize his options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT