ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton interest in IU really growing...

lol

Ok, taking this and the other 2019 recruiting thread.

The class will be:

Carton
Hurt
Jackson-Davis
Watford

That’s a UK/Duke class

Morgan is a senior. One schollie is available anyway. And if Langford signs, he will be one and done. So that is three. As good as those 3 forwards are IU cannot sign those three without Creaning someone because they would have to have at least one guard in the class. I guess the exception would be Hunter and Anderson showing the ability to play the 2 effectively. But that seems pretty tough to predict between now and the start of the season.

Jackson-Davis
Brooks or Watford, most likely Brooks has first dibs. Trendon is probably staying home for Alabama.
A guard

That will be it for 2019.

Reactions: Dobbs Hoosier
Morgan is a senior. One schollie is available anyway. And if Langford signs, he will be one and done. So that is three. As good as those 3 forwards are IU cannot sign those three without Creaning someone because they would have to have at least one guard in the class. I guess the exception would be Hunter and Anderson showing the ability to play the 2 effectively. But that seems pretty tough to predict between now and the start of the season.
I never count on a player being one and done because not all of them are. Many said the same about Zeller, Bryant, and even JBJ. They weren't. If I was betting on Romeo I'd bet he's one and done too but it isn't a sure thing. If he plays like a first team all American for IU his Freshman year than great for him and for IU and we can say, "he gone!" ;)

Looks like Brooks has a competitive attitude in his game. I like that.

He sounds like he has all the tools, but I also have some concerns... didn't he leave, or threaten to leave his team mid-season? Not sure what transpired there, and while I can think of valid reasons why that might happen, that's generally a bad thing. Also, I thought reports were that Romeo really got in his head and took him out of his game when they played. Again, not unheard of, especially when the guy has the talent of RL, and is a year older. But the thing that bothered me was the reports were he sort of hung his head and gave up a bit.

On the brighter side, I have been impressed that Romeo has generally matched up with his opposing teams' best player, regardless of size. I know people have questioned his D a bit, but I'm really not worried because to me he's shown he has it in him. I think he's just so gifted offensively that his D, despite being good, may not be showing at the same premier level. If he's the player and person he seems to be, I think he'll want a coach to push him on that to prepare him as a pro, and selfishly I think Archie is well-prepared to do that, and will in fact demand it. Next Monday could be an exciting and pivotal day!

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Romeo dominated Brooks when their teams played in December. Romeo definitely played with some extra moxie.

I guess the question here is, not who is going to be committing early, but who is not going to commit early.

Rumors that TJD, Brooks Jr & now DJ all committing early. Fing rumors.

Always interesting how some kids know what they want, get the verbal out of the way and start focusing on their next steps while others are more methodical in the process. But there appears to be a different dynamic in play this year for IU and its recruits.

IU is once again being viewed as a prime destination for high level recruits. With a strong 2018 class set to go, and potentially getting stronger in a week, all signs point to momentum gaining speed in Bloomington. I don't think CAM can wait forever if some of these guys are ready to go.

As a fan it is exciting. It has been awhile since multiple high level recruits had to consider missing out on an opportunity at IU. This time around, if you wait too long there may not be a spot available. That may become the norm at IU going forward.

Always interesting how some kids know what they want, get the verbal out of the way and start focusing on their next steps while others are more methodical in the process. But there appears to be a different dynamic in play this year for IU and its recruits.

IU is once again being viewed as a prime destination for high level recruits. With a strong 2018 class set to go, and potentially getting stronger in a week, all signs point to momentum gaining speed in Bloomington. I don't think CAM can wait forever if some of these guys are ready to go.

As a fan it is exciting. It has been awhile since multiple high level recruits had to consider missing out on an opportunity at IU. This time around, if you wait too long there may not be a spot available. That may become the norm at IU going forward.

I love what Coach Miller is doing, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 2018 as it stands is a good class, especially considering how late-starting he was, but honestly to get the program where most of us want it, in future years, that's a bare minimum. Of course, that's without Romeo, who obviously changes it. But, I'd say we're being CONSIDERED as a prime destination for high level recruits. Now if he inks Romeo and a couple others for 2019, then I think your sentiment is accurate.

At this point, it would be a surprise if Romeo didn’t come to IU. Anything is possible I suppose, but this late in the game a change of heart is unlikely.

Reactions: Eurocyldon
Middle of the pack programs rise and fall based on their personnel/recruits. Top programs are good because of the system, style of play, or strategy.

Reactions: Eurocyldon
Other fans still see us as Tom Crean U. They’re not going to take us serious until we prove we’re above that. We’re seen as just a middle of the pack program in the Big Ten these days. Hopefully Archie can change that.

It's more than that. Reading that Iowa thread those guys actually think Tom Crean was an elite recruiter. That's a level of dumb that's almost hard to fathom. Even getting in the conversation with Romeo is something Tom wasn't anywhere close to doing. The fact that Archie might just land him speaks volumes.

It's more than that. Reading that Iowa thread those guys actually think Tom Crean was an elite recruiter. That's a level of dumb that's almost hard to fathom. Even getting in the conversation with Romeo is something Tom wasn't anywhere close to doing. The fact that Archie might just land him speaks volumes.

Agree 100%. Shocking how far off Iowa fans are about Crean's recruiting prowess. Other than Zeller, Bryant, Yogi and Vonleh I can't think of anyone else considered a big time recruit coveted by high major programs. It is more accurate to say he had a fair amount of skill/luck finding and developing diamonds in the rough, i.e., VO, OG, and JM. Even at that he swung and missed much more than he hit.

Reactions: IUgradman
Agree 100%. Shocking how far off Iowa fans are about Crean's recruiting prowess. Other than Zeller, Bryant, Yogi and Vonleh I can't think of anyone else considered a big time recruit coveted by high major programs. It is more accurate to say he had a fair amount of skill/luck finding and developing diamonds in the rough, i.e., VO, OG, and JM. Even at that he swung and missed much more than he hit.
What's even worse the year he got Vonleh, he had to play him at the 5 because he never landed a big man to compliment him. In fact most years we've either been young, without shooting, or completely undersized. I mean just look at this year's roster, case in point.

well, in fairness, everyone swings and misses much more than they hit in recruiting. That's not a knock, but you have to be able to find a way to land enough talent... that's what TC didn't do enough of.

Like all things Crean, it looks much better from a distance lol

What's even worse the year he got Vonleh, he had to play him at the 5 because he never landed a big man to compliment him. In fact most years we've either been young, without shooting, or completely undersized. I mean just look at this year's roster, case in point.

That has to be one of the most frustrating things as a fan - being undersized more often than not for the better part of 2 decades. You have to go back to Jeffries, Newton and Leach for the last time IU had 3 legit bigs on the same team. Zeller and Watford were the exception and not the rule.

Blame it on Zeller, Vonleh and Bryant going pro early, Fischer transferring almost immediately, or failed recruiting. Add it to the failure to land one legit PG in four years to replace Yogi and now you understand why Crean was fired.

well, in fairness, everyone swings and misses much more than they hit in recruiting.
This is a common misconception, no they don't. Tom Crean did all the time which is part of the reason he was let go. Good programs don't have the amount of misses IU has had or they wouldn't be considered good programs. Stan Rob, Priller, Jobe, April, Gelon, Minuru, Jones, Hollowell, Perea, Jurkin, Newkirk, Mcswain, and even dating back to guys like Bobby C and Eron Gordon. You can even add in guys because of bad behavior like Holt and Davis. Every program has misses, I agree, but if any program misses on that many guys over just a few years then things are clearly not going right.

Last edited:
I like that CAM doesn't seem rattled by the late commitments. He hasn't gone out and signed a player in case Romeo doesn't come, but I am willing to bet a plan B that protects future rosters is in place. That last scholarship might get left open for McRoberts if a quality graduate transfer isn't available. A good big wouldn't be a bad idea and could allow Davis to red shirt.

I like that CAM doesn't seem rattled by the late commitments. He hasn't gone out and signed a player in case Romeo doesn't come, but I am willing to bet a plan B that protects future rosters is in place. That last scholarship might get left open for McRoberts if a quality graduate transfer isn't available. A good big wouldn't be a bad idea and could allow Davis to red shirt.
A lot of people believe that this is what hurt us with Gary Harris. The fact that we were oversigned and didn't have a scholarship available. Cam is doing a good job so far keeping his options open.

I like that CAM doesn't seem rattled by the late commitments. He hasn't gone out and signed a player in case Romeo doesn't come, but I am willing to bet a plan B that protects future rosters is in place. That last scholarship might get left open for McRoberts if a quality graduate transfer isn't available. A good big wouldn't be a bad idea and could allow Davis to red shirt.[/QUOTE]

Deron Davis?

A lot of people believe that this is what hurt us with Gary Harris. The fact that we were oversigned and didn't have a scholarship available. Cam is doing a good job so far keeping his options open.
One of the best things Archie said early was that he didn't need 13 players if the last 2 aren't going to play and be unhappy on the bench and locker room. Instead of filling the roster at 13 every year, leave a spot for a late transfer. a top late commitment, or a kid like Race Thompson.

Having Priller for 4 years could have prevented better players from coming. An empty spot would have been better than Priller.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT