ADVERTISEMENT

Did you see where Tiger Woods got arrested for a DUI? The PGA ought to

That article came out after I made my original posts.
And you were so quick to jump to conclusions without any facts. You do realize that "Under the Influence" can mean something more than alcohol, correct? Regardless, an article doesn't have to be out for us to see your true colors.

Dick, these aren't my words. They are the words of people who would know.

i hate to back Goat, but you're in the fake news dept here.

you can try and build a "just coincidence" case, but purses went way up during TW's run.

there were no doubt other factors, but TW definitely was a factor.

that said, TW's run coincided with big tv money jumps in all major sports, but you can't discount the Tiger bump.

And you were so quick to jump to conclusions without any facts. You do realize that "Under the Influence" can mean something more than alcohol, correct? Regardless, an article doesn't have to be out for us to see your true colors.

Do you realize Tiger is going to have to appear in court? I read an article this morning that also said he first told authorities he was coming back from a round of golf and now is retracting that statement.

you can try and build a "just coincidence" case, but purses went way up during TW's run.

that said, TW's run coincided with big tv money jumps in all major sports, but you can't discount the Tiger bump.

Ok, I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying.

I'm basically saying there wouldn't have been a tour as we think of it today without Arnold Palmer.

He did things on a grand scale that didn't have much to do with how he played.

For Christ's sake, he founded The Golf Channel.

Basically, Tiger would have never happened had it not been for Palmer.

Do you realize Tiger is going to have to appear in court? I read an article this morning that also said he first told authorities he was coming back from a round of golf and now is retracting that statement.
Sure he has to go to court....so what? A lot of people either have gone or will go to court for various reasons.

Remember the presumption of innocence until proven guilty?

How many strokes will that cost him?

You do realize your boy Arnold Palmer was one of the biggest man whores in history, correct? Yet, he pretended to be some sort of a saint. You do also realize that the PGA Tour is FULL of total man whoring drunks who act like they're second year frat boys, correct? I mean seriously, just because you enjoy a game that's predicated on being a "gentleman", don't for one second pretend that's what's going on behind the scenes...because it's not.
I always assumed golf was the rich guys version of bowling.
If you're not drinking why are you in ugly clothes chasing a little ball in a park?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

I'm basically saying there wouldn't have been a tour as we think of it today without Arnold Palmer.

I'll chime in on this. In my view, Arnold created the idea of "the golfer as a business/corporation". He created the template that has been used by Tiger, Phil, Rory, Spieth, etc., where the golfer is a brand, across the sport, but also in a variety of businesses. That is undeniably linked to Palmer (and Nicklaus and Player).

Arnold was at his peak, at the exact time that televised sports started becoming a thing, as well. Beyond simply being a founder of the Golf Channel, wall-to-wall coverage of every single PGA tournament, both on cable and broadcast television very well may not exist, but for the influence of Palmer.

The relatively recent, massive surge in purses and prize money is more directly linked to Tiger and the eyes he brought to the sport in the late 90s-00s. Corresponded with a glut of businesses flush with cash, that wanted to be associated with Tiger and all of the fans, including casual sports fans, that he brought to golf. Even though the game is healthy now, with a ton of young stars, you can see some of the sponsorship questions that have come up in the past 3-4 years, since Tiger has largely been absent from the tour.

All of this said, you can still argue that the influx of money that came in with Tiger wouldn't have happened without AP and the aging baby boomers with money that he brought to the game back 30-40 years ago. That is a demographic directly connected to the businesses that market through golf.

Reactions: C-$ and IU40IU
Arnold was at his peak, at the exact time that televised sports started becoming a thing, as well. Beyond simply being a founder of the Golf Channel, wall-to-wall coverage of every single PGA tournament, both on cable and broadcast television very well may not exist, but for the influence of Palmer.
I remember watching Challenge Golf with my dad on Sundays after church.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/challenge-golf/cast/200438/

Old and Young Tom, Bobby Jones, Walter, Byron, Sam, Ben, and others may tend to disagree.

had AP never been born, golf would still be what it is today, and TW likely would have still have been who he was.

AP was a great golfer and personality, but let's not get carried away.

i do thank him for his part in the Golf Channel, (wasn't his idea, but he co founded), but don't kid yourself that we'd most likely still have 4 day coverage of most tour events today regardless.

I always assumed golf was the rich guys version of bowling.
If you're not drinking why are you in ugly clothes chasing a little ball in a park?

Golf is a lot more exercise if you walk like a man when you play it instead of riding in a cart. The average golfer consumes 1,400 calories when he walks 18 holes on a regulation course.

As far as drinking alcohol, I don't do it when I play golf. I don't smoke, either.

Golf is a lot more exercise if you walk like a man when you play it instead of riding in a cart. The average golfer consumes 1,400 calories when he walks 18 holes on a regulation course.

As far as drinking alcohol, I don't do it when I play golf. I don't smoke, either.

How much beer is equivalent to 1,400 calories?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I agree there was a spike in popularity with Tiger, but the sport is bigger than Tiger. Also, it's hard to kill a sport that's been around since the 15th century. Golf's revenue is back and above what it was in the last decade.
Source for this? I'm curious where you heard / read that golf's revenues are back to 10 years ago.

There's nothing wrong with any of that. I was merely defending Lefty's statement about the money.

I will accept your backhanded defense.

I will also add to your comment about TV that sports leagues and organizations sure pulled a fast one on the networks. All those new channels, all that HD coverage, there was money flying everywhere to find a home for everything, and not a single person in any network boardroom ever stopped to consider the fact that all those extra channels don't increase the number of eyes available to view them.

(Then, of course, they got hammered by the unplugging phenomenon.)

How irritating do you find it to lose to someone who drinks beer, halfheartedly rakes bunkers, smokes cigars, rides in a cart and wears ungodly amounts of cologne? I'd pay to watch that round.

How irritating do you find it to lose to someone who drinks beer, halfheartedly rakes bunkers, smokes cigars, rides in a cart and wears ungodly amounts of cologne? I'd pay to watch that round.

I seldom ever lose to somebody who does those types of things because it motivates me to beat them. During an interclub several years ago, my playing partner and I were playing against another twosome in a match play format. One of our opponents was smoking cigars and I asked his playing partner if he thought the guy would mind if I asked him to refrain from it because I'm allergic to cigar smoke. The guy said he would talk to his playing partner about it and he was certain he would quit doing it.

The guy continued smoking cigars almost nonstop and it was overwhelming to me. However, he made a mistake on the 10th tee when he announced he was smoking cigars because one of his teammates (a former college buddy of mine) had mentioned on the way to Columbus that I was allergic to cigars. He said he was going to continue smoking them the remaining nine holes.

I really had to restrain myself from walking up to the tee and leveling him. Apparently, it resulted in a rush of adrenaline because I began hitting the ball much farther than normal. My playing partner and I also rallied to beat them even though we had been down four or five holes at the turn.

The jerk had thrown down the gauntlet and it cost his club as a result. Had my playing partner and I not won that match, our club would have lost the event.

Reactions: cryano and kkott
I seldom ever lose to somebody who does those types of things because it motivates me to beat them. During an interclub several years ago, my playing partner and I were playing against another twosome in a match play format. One of our opponents was smoking cigars and I asked his playing partner if he thought the guy would mind if I asked him to refrain from it because I'm allergic to cigar smoke. The guy said he would talk to his playing partner about it and he was certain he would quit doing it.

The guy continued smoking cigars almost nonstop and it was overwhelming to me. However, he made a mistake on the 10th tee when he announced he was smoking cigars because one of his teammates (a former college buddy of mine) had mentioned on the way to Columbus that I was allergic to cigars. He said he was going to continue smoking them the remaining nine holes.

I really had to restrain myself from walking up to the tee and leveling him. Apparently, it resulted in a rush of adrenaline because I began hitting the ball much farther than normal. My playing partner and I also rallied to beat them even though we had been down four or five holes at the turn.

The jerk had thrown down the gauntlet and it cost his club as a result. Had my playing partner and I not won that match, our club would have lost the event.
I almost gave up on this thread. So happy I showed the courage to keep reading.

Reactions: cryano

How is it that you constantly almost end up in a fight every time you play golf? You think that might say something about you?

Reactions: sdhoosier
He was lying when he said he had been playing golf. Tiger would not have worn a white tee shirt and a pair of what appeared to be gym trunks to play golf.

I'm thinking he had no idea what he was doing or saying, so no concious lying

I do worry he has a pill addiction

I can't come up with any good excuse to be out at 3:00 am fired up on narcotics to the point of passing out

Then again nobody makes their best decisions after getting loaded

How is it that you constantly almost end up in a fight every time you play golf? You think that might say something about you?

I probably almost have a fight less than one percent of the time I play golf. The last time I had a fight was when I was 21 and I whipped somewhere between four and six guys at the same time. It also was the last time I was ever drunk because I learned a lesson from it.

When golfers have no control over who is in their foursome during an interclub, a smoker should be courteous enough to make sure nobody minds it if he smokes cigars or cigarettes before doing it. That is golf etiquette. What made it even worse was when the guy flaunted it at me halfway through our match.

He was lying when he said he had been playing golf. Tiger would not have worn a white tee shirt and a pair of what appeared to be gym trunks to play golf.

He was clearly under the drugs, either intentionally or not.

Have you ever changed clothes in a locker room after you play golf? Or do you wear the same clothes home 100% of the time?

You're s scary dude.

He was clearly under the drugs, either intentionally or not.

Have you ever changed clothes in a locker room after you play golf? Or do you wear the same clothes home 100% of the time?

You're s scary dude.

If you played at a country club, you wouldn't change into a pair of gym trunks and a tee shirt. In answer to your question, I never change clothes before driving home from golf. I have a locker and use it before every round, but I only change clothes when I arrive after work during the work. At that time, I change into my golf attire.

I dunno, I would think the PGA would be happy. This has gotta be the most interesting thing that's happened in golf in 4 or 5 years, right?

Did you watch the Ryder Cup this summer?

I know that is not necessarily affiliated with the PGA tour, doesn't change the fact that you're a nitwit.

If you played at a country club, you wouldn't change into a pair of gym trunks and a tee shirt. In answer to your question, I never change clothes before driving home from golf. I have a locker and use it before every round, but I only change clothes when I arrive after work during the work. At that time, I change into my golf attire.

You're truly a racist dumbass with whatever other affliction you have that's been diagnosed (besides the bad knee).

I probably almost have a fight less than one percent of the time I play golf. The last time I had a fight was when I was 21 and I whipped somewhere between four and six guys at the same time. It also was the last time I was ever drunk because I learned a lesson from it.

When golfers have no control over who is in their foursome during an interclub, a smoker should be courteous enough to make sure nobody minds it if he smokes cigars or cigarettes before doing it. That is golf etiquette. What made it even worse was when the guy flaunted it at me halfway through our match.

tumblr_m90yeayZWF1r2sxh6o1_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT