ADVERTISEMENT

So what did you think?

In these practice games , the bigs should do really well as they tend to be much bigger And stronger than the NAIA or D-3 players they are going against . I’m glad our bigs did well , but other than getting to play against another team, you can’t make much of a judgement. Now if they didn’t do well I would be worried . I went to the Ball State vs DePaw scrimmage yesterday , and DePaw only trailed by 2 at half . Ball State ended up winning by 26 points , but it looks like Michael Lewis has a lot of work to do. DePaw was led by Elijah Hales with 20 points who is the son of Ross Hales former football , and basketball player at IU .

The playing styles of Mike Woodson and AJ Guyton combined into the stylish ways of CJ Gun. Have I ever told you I like that name? Probably second to only Reneau, as in "Reneau for two!"
It was a joke and Gunn is a good name for a shooter, He needs to put some muscle on though.

CJ Gunn's minutes played is surprising. You can easily see that Malik stepped in for Trayce and with Bates out, Gunn stepped in for Bates. He is a real shooter, reminds me a bit of something between Jay Edwards and Greg Garham. But I didn't think he would get a lot of minutes and perhaps he won't if Bates plays well. But yesterday Gunn was almost playing Stewart's role, and to me that is a sign that Coach Woods on is probably pleased with both players, otherwise I think we would have seen more of Galloway and Leal.
Yes, that is projecting, but the minutes tell a pattern of what coaches plan for. Gunn got as much as just about anyone. Gunn himself said that PT for him could come if he can lock down defensively. I see that as suggesting that Kopp particularly will have a hard time NOT losing PT this season to younger guys. Really good seeing this for the team, because they need improvements from the 2 and 3 spots.

Reactions: ericrossiu
My second thought is that Malik is a notch better than I expected and it won't be long before Woodson is going to have to think about whether the team can play with Race as the 3 and Renau as the 4. It's either that or the unthinkable, that TJD loses a few minutes to Malik in order to have fresh legs at all times.

Back in the day Andrae Patterson was a young PF playing alongside senior All-American Alan Henderson.

Thought#3. Xavier Johnson cannot play this poorly once the season starts. With a talented bench, I expect Woodson will remind him that he needs consistency from his senior PG. He has a week to straighten it out.

Reactions: Zeke7 and ufo33
CJ Gunn's minutes played is surprising. You can easily see that Malik stepped in for Trayce and with Bates out, Gunn stepped in for Bates. He is a real shooter, reminds me a bit of something between Jay Edwards and Greg Garham. But I didn't think he would get a lot of minutes and perhaps he won't if Bates plays well. But yesterday Gunn was almost playing Stewart's role, and to me that is a sign that Coach Woods on is probably pleased with both players, otherwise I think we would have seen more of Galloway and Leal.
Yes, that is projecting, but the minutes tell a pattern of what coaches plan for. Gunn got as much as just about anyone. Gunn himself said that PT for him could come if he can lock down defensively. I see that as suggesting that Kopp particularly will have a hard time NOT losing PT this season to younger guys. Really good seeing this for the team, because they need improvements from the 2 and 3 spots.
Wouldn't it be something if Gunn ends up getting more minutes than Bates. That's one of those good/bad news things. It wouldn't be as surprising as Reneau ultimately getting more minutes than TJD, barring injury.

Bates is better as a slasher than Gunn. As a shooter? We will find out whether Bates has improved enough to hold Gunn off. But for sure a more prolific 2 or 3 is required for IU to get to a higher level. And Gunn has a nice J. Elevates really well, great arc.

Reactions: ericrossiu
So since you asked, and I've had some time to think about it, watch interviews and make a conclusion.
Logan had a good performance, He's created a hair controversy. I think LD is enjoying some sheet time between doing extra shots. I think he will enjoy the lime (in Cerveza) light.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Bates is better as a slasher than Gunn. As a shooter? We will find out whether Bates has improved enough to hold Gunn off. But for sure a more prolific 2 or 3 is required for IU to get to a higher level. And Gunn has a nice J. Elevates really well, great arc.

Love at first sight with that shot. First thing I said was holy shit that's a nice shot with great elevation.

I don't know how long it's going to take folks to recognize it's not as much what you do on offense as it is on D that will determine your minutes. Everything that I heard was that Gunn gave effort and though he got beat a few times, he looked OK on D too. Bates will have had to step up there, as I thought he was lost a good bit last year, if Gunn is a better defender and can make shots, he'll get more minutes I believe.

Reactions: mohepa
Love at first sight with that shot. First thing I said was holy shit that's a nice shot with great elevation.
Been saying this since watching him this past HS season. Deep range and will have no issues getting shot off, all of his jumpers are high elevation
I know he needs to get stronger but his lower body (legs) are solid

Been saying this since watching him this past HS season. Deep range and will have no issues getting shot off, all of his jumpers are high elevation
I know he needs to get stronger but his lower body (legs) are solid
Has he grown? He looks like he is legit 6'6 maybe even 6'7. Was he that tall in HS?

I didn't scroll through the whole thread here. But I noticed all the offensive scores were on this video. I liked a lot of what I saw. Schifino's mid range game got me excited. C.J. Gunn made some good passes on the break and of course hit his 3's. Now I realize we only saw the scores and not the misses. But I liked a lot of what IU did on offense without Tamar and Trayce.
Here is the video.

22 according to the box score.

Taeshon Cherry plays for Marian? Wow

Cherry is a former top 50 recruit who started out at ASU and then played at Grand Canyon this year who is coached by Bryce Drew. Spend most the winter down here in Scottsdale and usually try to get to a GCU game once or twice a year.

Just excited to see Malik and TJD out there together. Been a long time since we’ve had two skilled/strong players inside like that. JJ and Newt were a good combo, but both were more finesse than strength.
DJ & Marco for five games the 05-06 year. DJ's broken bone in his foot was the nail in coffin for Davis' last season. A bitter but good thing.

I thought there was some real talent out there. JHS looks very good as a freshman. Still has some to learn but very talented. Race looks experienced. MR looks athletic and strong. He is similar to Race as a freshman and left hand dominant. MK looked better. Played within himself. I was impressed with Banks ball handling. Tight and low center. I think he will eventually be very good. Geronimo needs to play without thinking every step. Predict final starters.

XJ
JHS
TB
RT
TJD

Malik Reneau played great in the post with good touch on his jump hook and strength to finish strong through contact. Race 3pt shot looks to be much improved. JHS is as advertised IUs top professional talent as a 6’6” PG, great presence as a floor leader without being out of control or forcing the drive or the pass too much. JHS mid range shooting is a thing of beauty and has been missing from IU in recent years. Galloway played his normal total floor game and good position defense but his shooting looks much improved as he made a 3pt shot and a FT, Galloway brings defensive intensity and jumps the passing lane as well as anyone on the team. Geronimo settled in and played much better in the 2nd half making a 3 and finished an acrobatic drive well under control. Duncomb showed good length and rebounding and also displayed the offensive touch that he has shown in brief apprarances in the past, Duncomb looks stronger and more mature. CJ Gunn may have the best looking high shot release on the team. And with his 6’6” length could be a good defender and rebounder at the 2 or 3. Kopp made a few shots but I just do not notice he did anything else to help the team. X looked to be pressing and out of control like the early last season X. Perhaps the early NBA scouting praise of JHS bruised his ego a bit as the returning Senior guard. X looked more like the Freshman and JHS the B1G veteran. X did make a nice 3, but his out of control blur thru the lane with nowhere to go and the blind pass turnover was ugly. When X committed another turnover he put his head down and pounded his fist into his other hand in disgust with himself. Hopefully this is just the first game of the season but he should now know that he does not have to make all the playmaker plays for this IU team, stay in control and make shots in rythym without forcing wild missed layups while looking to draw a foul. It was not a good performance by X. Hopefully that was X’s worst game of the season, no need to press, be the scorer he can be. Leal looked ok, there is just going to not be much PT for his limited skillset if he can’t make perimeter shots. Childress continues to impress off the bench as a walk-on that would get far more minutes at a D1 Mid Major but is a valuable contributer at IU on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
Hey @Lucy01 i am gonna burry this in a thread…… but I believe you were right about Leal, I doubt he ever plays significant minutes his entire career.
Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute. Plus, if he really refines his long distance shooting, there is still a chance he can get some key minutes. I would hate to see him leave as I think he adds value to practices and the locker room. Seems like a genuine and great kid. The type that scraps and keeps people on their toes.

No way he was 6’5. Really??? God he was a monster
Just looked it up to be sure. His NBA draft camp measurement was 6’5.5” without shoes. Although I think the IU roster had him listed as 6’8”-6’9”. Unless I just didn’t notice the high heels, he couldn’t be more than 6’7” in shoes, maybe a hair under.
Makes it even more impressive that he played so well inside. Moye too. Moye couldn’t have been over 6’3”. He was barely taller than me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT