ADVERTISEMENT

David Holloman in portal

vesuvius13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 11, 2017
This leaves IU running back room with only two players with more than one year left. IU will graduate most of their RBs and need to replenish their RB room. For all I know, coach Cignetti may want to recruit RBs from the portal to get more mature players that can pass block and make defensive players miss tackles. The portal is changing several positions on football teams as it seems more and more are taking portal RBs/QBs and WRs. Will high school recruiting continue to decline now that restrictions from COVID are over?

This leaves IU running back room with only two players with more than one year left. IU will graduate most of their RBs and need to replenish their RB room. For all I know, coach Cignetti may want to recruit RBs from the portal to get more mature players that can pass block and make defensive players miss tackles. The portal is changing several positions on football teams as it seems more and more are taking portal RBs/QBs and WRs. Will high school recruiting continue to decline now that restrictions from COVID are over?

Probably a situation where only the top HS prospects get into the P5 right out of HS and the rest have to work their way up from smaller leagues.

It would be interesting to know what the average NIL "price" quality talent for each position goes for. QBs obviously top of the heap, so you should try to develop that talent yourself if you can. If there is good "value" at other positions you could rely on the portal.

I think it's as much we were low on talent at RB, and the talent we did have doesn't fit his system.
Portal RBs may not be a bad way to go though, as long as they can be in by spring like this year. I'm thinking affordable, as Rags post mentions being a factor.
But I also expect he'll recruit the best he can get as frosh. At least one or two most years. Some may be athletes who can move around.

I remember Holloman getting a few carries and thinking I liked this kid and hoped he'd get a few more chances. Guess I was wrong. But good luck to him. Thanks for being a Hoosier!

Like the 5-star rb from USC the Hoosiers picked a few years ago - he got hurt and lost his spot and then off to Bloomington. Problem was Indiana line was terrible. If CCC and Bostad put out a solid OL there will be rbs galore wanting to transfer in - every year.

I think of the new NIL world of college football as kind of a Fantasy Football situation.

Some positions are more plug-and-play than others. Maybe that's how he views RBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT