ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich Out at ESPN . . .

This isn't one of those "other boards", you're not a mod, and your last remark is inane/clueless. Bye.
You are correct this is not one of the other boards and has not been for some time.

I personally wish we would get our collective act together and create a good forum, others, I guess, feel differently. Sorry to see your comments regarding me as I have found you a reasonable poster and not attacked your thoughts on other subjects as others have. Putting me even close in comparison to Ordy is a pretty low blow. But whatever.

“I had everyone of my bosses at ESPN tell me ‘you are the best guy we have at ESPN, period.’ And I am like ‘Okay, then why am I not doing North Carolina/Duke’ or ‘Why am I getting bumped by Vitale and Bilas to do the Indiana/Purdue game? It’s a big game.’ It’s not a meritocracy and I like meritocracy.”

I’ve never listened to a person that lies more than Dan. There’s no reason to believe anything he says.

just my opinion.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
In my personal experience most of the people who understand what's going on and can think for themselves love Dakich. The problem most people have with Dakich is that only a few understand him. You have to understand basketball, coaching, competing, etc.. at a very high level to understand Dakich. If you don't understand those things then you won't like Dakich and he comes across as arrogant to you.

He will go the Joe Rogan route. Likely not 12 million listeners, but he's a natural shock jock and will keep and find an audience.

Reactions: The Vid
He will go the Joe Rogan route. Likely not 12 million listeners, but he's a natural shock jock and will keep and find an audience.

LIke this guy?
bulldog-brisco-frasier-Edited.jpg

I don’t see Rogan as a shock jock, he’s just a normal dude who is a really good communicator in his lane. Maybe just above average intelligence, but he knows how to keep a conversation moving.

Dan is no doubt a smart guy. He plays the game in his lane, and knows how to keep the average Joe listeners from IN on their toes. He definitely lies and gases topics and people up to drive traffic, and it works well. For example, he says Indiana could win the B1G in basketball this year. He doesn’t actually believe that, but it’s a nice setup for future traffic.

In my personal experience most of the people who understand what's going on and can think for themselves love Dakich. The problem most people have with Dakich is that only a few understand him. You have to understand basketball, coaching, competing, etc.. at a very high level to understand Dakich. If you don't understand those things then you won't like Dakich and he comes across as arrogant to you.
As someone who understands those things and still doesn’t like Dakich I have a different perspective.

Imo if you are a condescending jackass like Dakich you probably like him. If you are not, you probably don’t like him.

I don’t see Rogan as a shock jock, he’s just a normal dude who is a really good communicator in his lane. Maybe just above average intelligence, but he knows how to keep a conversation moving.

Dan is no doubt a smart guy. He plays the game in his lane, and knows how to keep the average Joe listeners from IN on their toes. He definitely lies and gases topics and people up to drive traffic, and it works well. For example, he says Indiana could win the B1G in basketball this year. He doesn’t actually believe that, but it’s a nice setup for future traffic.
Where are the “lies”? I get people’s dislike of DD, especially because he doesn’t appeal to the casual fan as well as not being a homer for IU, but I’m not sure where the “he lies” comes from.

Where are the “lies”? I get people’s dislike of DD, especially because he doesn’t appeal to the casual fan as well as not being a homer for IU, but I’m not sure where the “he lies” comes from.
Lies may be a strong word. One clear example is that he gives predictions and says things he doesn’t actually believe.

Two obvious related to IU hoops: Indiana has a B1G title caliber team this year. Tom Crean should not have been fired. In private he would say IU should finish top 4 in the league and Tom Crean was a dweeb that should have never ever been anywhere near the IU job.

It’s gas for callers, etc. Part of the business.

+he’s a prick when he has Dane Fife on and never lets him get a word out. Like he’s still the coach and still the boss over a younger guy like Dane. It’s an act.

Lies may be a strong word. One clear example is that he gives predictions and says things he doesn’t actually believe.

Two obvious related to IU hoops: Indiana has a B1G title caliber team this year. Tom Crean should not have been fired. In private he would say IU should finish top 4 in the league and Tom Crean was a dweeb that should have never ever been anywhere near the IU job.

It’s gas for callers, etc. Part of the business.

+he’s a prick when he has Dane Fife on and never lets him get a word out. Like he’s still the coach and still the boss over a younger guy like Dane. It’s an act.
Not trying to be argumentative, but how do you know he says one thing but really means something else? I infrequently listen to his radio show (I can only get it online), but he seems to discuss capabilities / possibilities and then qualifies the achievement of them based on certain criteria . . . ‘IU has the ability to win the BT this season but they’ll need much more from these three positions to achieve that result’ or ‘Tom Crean never should’ve been fired because IU never fully supported him as coach yet expected him to win at an elite level anyway.’ Provocative opinions for sure, and certainly up for debate, but none of that should be construed as saying one thing while privately holding a different view (all in an effort to stoke enmity among the listeners and / or IU faithful). DD’s major sin to IU fans is that he’s not a homer, and that drives people crazy.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how do you know he says one thing but really means something else? I infrequently listen to his radio show (I can only get it online), but he seems to discuss capabilities / possibilities and then qualifies the achievement of them based on certain criteria . . . ‘IU has the ability to win the BT this season but they’ll need much more from these three positions to achieve that result’ or ‘Tom Crean never should’ve been fired because IU never fully supported him as coach yet expected him to win at an elite level anyway.’ Provocative opinions for sure, and certainly up for debate, but none of that should be construed as saying one thing while privately holding a different view (all in an effort to stoke enmity among the listeners and / or IU faithful). DD’s major sin to IU fans is that he’s not a homer, and that drives people crazy.
You’re adorable.

Holy shit his new show is called “Sack Up with Dan Dakich” lmao

Just incredible reactionary self-parody he's achieving here...so on-the-nose that if this were a fictional script, an editor would tell you to make it more believable.

Holy shit his new show is called “Sack Up with Dan Dakich” lmao

Just incredible reactionary self-parody he's achieving here...so on-the-nose that if this were a fictional script, an editor would tell you to make it more believable.
I don't remember if it was Wednesday or yesterday when I listened, but he had people calling in with suggested show names. Is that what they landed on?

Seems like some on here - just as on the Purdue board- are confused. Dan is not out from him Indy- based radio show on 107.5TheFan. Emmis is his employer for that. He is only “out” of working for ESpN as a basketball commentator. He is no longer employed by ESPN. His Indy radio show from noon-3 is not going anywhere.
As someone else said- he will probably end up calling games for a different network in a year or two if not right away. I personally wouldn’t be surprised to see him back at BTN

Reactions: Birnk403
I don’t think understanding the game has anything to do with whether he comes across as arrogant. I actually generally enjoy his work at ESPN and his interviews. But he is an arrogant ( insert whatever word you’d prefer) ———-.

Where are the “lies”? I get people’s dislike of DD, especially because he doesn’t appeal to the casual fan as well as not being a homer for IU, but I’m not sure where the “he lies”
He constantly implies he has inside information when clearly he doesn’t. Who was the us player he said visited during a dead time, and that they would get a violation. He said dirty dealings were going on with Noah Vonleh, Trey Lyles, and Romeo with zero proof. Off the top of my head, but many more through out the years.

Not offering “proof” doesn’t mean he doesn’t have inside information, nor does it mean he’s lying. DD is extremely well connected in the world of CBB. Highly likely that if he says something, it’s got legs. The overwhelming issue most people have with him is that he’s not an IU homer, even though he is obviously a huge IU fan.

I heard DD say that IU didn't fire Crean because of wins and losses but because Crean had become a pain in the backside as far as the administration is concerned. He rarely calls for people to be fired but says, "you got to win". Dan is all about winning. He wants IU and the Colts to win.

This isn't one of those "other boards", you're not a mod, and your last remark is inane/clueless. Bye.
They are the same person. Courtsense is ordy's hype man. No one does more to help Ordy ruin the board than courtsense. Everyone else knows better. Courty inserts him into conversations that have nothing to do with him...for a reason.

I heard DD say that IU didn't fire Crean because of wins and losses but because Crean had become a pain in the backside as far as the administration is concerned. He rarely calls for people to be fired but says, "you got to win". Dan is all about winning. He wants IU and the Colts to win.
He's also said it has never ended well for the IU basketball coach.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
They are the same person. Courtsense is ordy's hype man. No one does more to help Ordy ruin the board than courtsense. Everyone else knows better. Courty inserts him into conversations that have nothing to do with him...for a reason.
Way way off and not worth discussing.

IU absolutely fired Crean for losing, so chalk that up as another lie. You are 100% his target demographic. Congrats for keeping the register ringing.

I’m going to guess that Dakich is just another knucklehead that is refusing to get the vaccine, which im assuming is a requirement by ESPN to continue working for them and their broadcasts.

I’m going to guess that Dakich is just another knucklehead that is refusing to get the vaccine, which im assuming is a requirement by ESPN to continue working for them and their broadcasts.
This is the dumbest take in a thread full of dumb takes. I’m always disgusted by the lack of respect and outright vitriol directed at Dan by our so-called fans on here. I don’t often agree with ordfan, but he’s 100% right on Dakich and the “fans.” They want a homer and an ass-kisser and can’t handle it when that’s not what they get from him. Just look at the pissing and moaning from some of our resident soy boys on this very thread. I say congrats to Dan on escaping from ESPN. That place is a sinking ship, drowning in corruption and incompetence…

This is the dumbest take in a thread full of dumb takes. I’m always disgusted by the lack of respect and outright vitriol directed at Dan by our so-called fans on here. I don’t often agree with ordfan, but he’s 100% right on Dakich and the “fans.” They want a homer and an ass-kisser and can’t handle it when that’s not what they get from him. Just look at the pissing and moaning from some of our resident soy boys on this very thread. I say congrats to Dan on escaping from ESPN. That place is a sinking ship, drowning in corruption and incompetence…
“soy boys” lol. Thanks Brent Terhune

I am not aware of any IU grads that want any media guy to be a homer. I find homers to be often cringeworthy and certainly not objective.

Even though he is at times a pretty good analyst, he’s a horse’s ass and a complete narcissist.
I don’t know him personally. Met him a few times back in the day at different events and always seemed like a nice guy. I’m judging solely off his ability as an analyst.

Yeah, it’s obvious the issue people have with him is that he’s not a homer for us. Been that way since he started doing games.

Yeah, it’s obvious the issue people have with him is that he’s not a homer for us. Been that way since he started doing games.
I quit listening to him because of his abrasiveness, not because he isn’t an IU homer. It’s OK to criticize a coaching search, but he didn’t have to personally insult Wayne Radford and Harry Gonso by calling them idiots. He said he was going to beat up the S&C coach. When people disagreed with him, he has looked up their Facebook profile and insulted them on the air. Some may find this entertaining, but I don’t.

I quit listening to him because of his abrasiveness, not because he isn’t an IU homer. It’s OK to criticize a coaching search, but he didn’t have to personally insult Wayne Radford and Harry Gonso by calling them idiots. He said he was going to beat up the S&C coach. When people disagreed with him, he has looked up their Facebook profile and insulted them on the air. Some may find this entertaining, but I don’t.
Dan has a lot of axes to grind with IU, unfortunately none of the people responsible for his animosity are still around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT