ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich Out at ESPN . . .

“I had everyone of my bosses at ESPN tell me ‘you are the best guy we have at ESPN, period.’ And I am like ‘Okay, then why am I not doing North Carolina/Duke’ or ‘Why am I getting bumped by Vitale and Bilas to do the Indiana/Purdue game? It’s a big game.’ It’s not a meritocracy and I like meritocracy.”

What bothers me the most regarding Dan Dakich is when he refers to sports reporters as "Those little media guys." I majored in journalism at IU, covered sports for the IDS all four years I was at IU and became sports editor at a daily newspaper after graduation.

Some coaches or athletes might have gotten rude with me over the phone, but they would treat me like royalty when they actually saw me. Why? Because I was muscular, had learned how to fight at a young age and I wasn't intimidated by them as a result.

Dan should not stereotype because some sportswriters are former athletes. In other words, some of us know as much--or more--regarding sports than him. Obviously, he is more knowledgeable about basketball because he played for IU and was a coach at one time. However, some sportswriters played other types of sports and probably know more about those sports than Dan.

Reactions: tbone6004
He's also said it has never ended well for the IU basketball coach.
Crean was given an extension that should never have happened and then when Fred was ready to move on him he was initially shut down by the BOT. One Trustee finally stepped up and helped Fred get it done better late than never.

Tom got more than he deserved in fame and fortune. Good man, just an awkward person and poor coach at this level.

Crean was given an extension that should never have happened and then when Fred was ready to move on him he was initially shut down by the BOT. One Trustee finally stepped up and helped Fred get it done better late than never.

Tom got more than he deserved in fame and fortune. Good man, just an awkward person and poor coach at this level.
Like I said........

This is the dumbest take in a thread full of dumb takes. I’m always disgusted by the lack of respect and outright vitriol directed at Dan by our so-called fans on here. I don’t often agree with ordfan, but he’s 100% right on Dakich and the “fans.” They want a homer and an ass-kisser and can’t handle it when that’s not what they get from him. Just look at the pissing and moaning from some of our resident soy boys on this very thread. I say congrats to Dan on escaping from ESPN. That place is a sinking ship, drowning in corruption and incompetence…

I like how he calls games. It doesn't bother me at all that he's not a "homer".

The guy mistreats people. I know the hip thing now is "he tells it like it is". But, no. He doesn't. When people say that they are just covering up for a-hole behavior.

I was a loyal listener for years. Still remember his first show. Remember thinking "this guy's a natural".

We could all be dicks to people if we wanted. Those who think they have impunity from being one turn a lot of us off.

Most of us knew "an a$$hole from the Region" during our college days. When on-the-air, DD is loud, berating, bullying,confrontational, I'm a tough guy, look at me type-The Classic Bully. The Region A$$holes have their posterboy in DD. Sad thing is, he is talented and did not have to be that way, at all. That attitude lost him his gig at ESPN, and lost a lot of respect from listeners that initially enjoyed his show.

His attitude on twitter was very offensive and bullying - then he claims he dropped twitter after going to church and receiving a message from God.... LOL

Last edited:
Most of us knew "an a$$hole from the Region" during our college days. DD is loud, berating, bullying,confrontational, I'm a tough guy, look at me type-The Classic Bully. The Region A$$holes have their posterboy in DD. Sad thing is, he is talented and did not have to be that way, at all. That attitude lost him his gig at ESPN, and lost a lot of respect from listeners that initially enjoyed his show.

His attitude on twitter was very offensive and bullying - then he claims he dropped twitter after going to church and receiving a message from God.... LOL
Do you know that’s not true?

Do you know that’s not true?
That is certainly the on-air image that DD has carefully cultivated via radio and TV. If that is not him, he has certainly buffooned that personality into the image of what MANY fans nationally and in the state have of him.

Now Sage Steele is suspended from ESPN . . . Yikes.
It is not a fun place to work. ESPN is a complete mess drowning in their own wokeness. Aside from the occasional IU bball game on their schedule, I no longer have any use for the network and can't even tell you what number they are on the dial. I'm surprised DD lasted as long as he did.

I could care less if DD was/was not an IU homer. But the one thing I did like about Dan was his willingness to constantly call out Ted Valentine when Ted was being TV Ted during a game.

It is not a fun place to work. ESPN is a complete mess drowning in their own wokeness. Aside from the occasional IU bball game on their schedule, I no longer have any use for the network and can't even tell you what number they are on the dial. I'm surprised DD lasted as long as he did.

I could care less if DD was/was not an IU homer. But the one thing I did like about Dan was his willingness to constantly call out Ted Valentine when Ted was being TV Ted during a game.
DD has a strong technical hoops background, but that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. You may be the rare exception, but most people don’t like him simply because he doesn’t lean our way.

Dan deserved to be fired. Sage did not deserve her punishment. Big difference in being a constant asshat and having a political opinion.
but strangely enough both obviously lean conservative in their persuasion.... interesting that ESPN continues to bounce those who don't fit the woke mode

Reactions: ulrey
DD has a strong technical hoops background, but that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. You may be the rare exception, but most people don’t like him simply because he doesn’t lean our way.
I've watched enough ball in my life, probably too much (according to my wife)...I don't need cheerleading from the announcers. Just neutral, call-it-as-it-is commentary. Sometimes Dan would go off on tangents that I found amusing, interesting. Other times, I just thought he was listening to the sound of his own voice.

There seems to be a general assumption that Dan still has a chip on his shoulder over the Sampson saga, and maybe that's why he appears, by some, to go out of his way NOT to be a homer. Who knows, only DD can answer that.

Would still take him over Vitale or that arrogant prick Packer any day. (Billy...not Todd--any Office fans will understand that play on words)

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I've watched enough ball in my life, probably too much (according to my wife)...I don't need cheerleading from the announcers. Just neutral, call-it-as-it-is commentary. Sometimes Dan would go off on tangents that I found amusing, interesting. Other times, I just thought he was listening to the sound of his own voice.

There seems to be a general assumption that Dan still has a chip on his shoulder over the Sampson saga, and maybe that's why he appears, by some, to go out of his way NOT to be a homer. Who knows, only DD can answer that.

Would still take him over Vitale or that arrogant prick Packer any day. (Billy...not Todd--any Office fans will understand that play on words)
Agreed. And he can definitely be verbose. The people whining about SS obviously don’t understand why she got suspended, though. It wasn’t about being woke, if you saw her comments.

“I had everyone of my bosses at ESPN tell me ‘you are the best guy we have at ESPN, period.’ And I am like ‘Okay, then why am I not doing North Carolina/Duke’ or ‘Why am I getting bumped by Vitale and Bilas to do the Indiana/Purdue game? It’s a big game.’ It’s not a meritocracy and I like meritocracy.”

I get it, I get it! Everyone hates double D! I'll lay 40 to 1 they beg me to come back next month, to save their miserable azzes from going under!

We shall see

DD

Last edited:

DD is the tRump of ESPN/The Fan/everywhere he goes, just like his orange God, DJT. His new gig is a joke, & he knows it, but says just the opposite. That aside, he's still more entertaining than JMV.

DD wouldn't know the truth, if he held it in his arms, & it called him mama.

DD, think first

Common Sense

Agreed. And he can definitely be verbose. The people whining about SS obviously don’t understand why she got suspended, though. It wasn’t about being woke, if you saw her comments.
Agree or disagree with SS's comments, we all have to remember where our paychecks are coming from. Free speech isn't part of most employment contracts. People are entitled to their beliefs in the USA, but in the work environment, you have to practice some discretion....and, as we say in my industry....'situational awareness'.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
DD is the tRump of ESPN/The Fan/everywhere he goes, just like his orange God, DJT. His new gig is a joke, & he knows it, but says just the opposite. That aside, he's still more entertaining than JMV.

DD wouldn't know the truth, if he held it in his arms, & it called him mama.

DD, think first

Common Sense
good lord could you just stop with the orange man bad psychosis? You really do need some help. Go back to your mouthbreeding friends on GBI.

SS was suspended for publicly disparaging ESPN/her employer in public, right? Must have broke/violated her contract/company policy/rules of employee conduct rules. She may have signed an NDA as well? I like her, & hope they keep her.

Agree or disagree with SS's comments, we all have to remember where our paychecks are coming from. Free speech isn't part of most employment contracts. People are entitled to their beliefs in the USA, but in the work environment, you have to practice some discretion....and, as we say in my industry....'situational awareness'.
I. e., common sense, or read your contract BEFORE criticizing your employer. When in public/speaking publicly, watch what you say & do. Got that???

Sincerely

Double D

Reactions: IUFANPUBUDAD
Sorry Dan, could you rant about politics again today, please. Sports talk shows need more like you brother.

Sincerely

JMV
I've never listened to DD on the radio. My limited experience is with his color commentary during ESPN ball games. I just wish the politics would be left to that shitstorm over on the water cooler. We already have enough personality conflicts to sort through on this board.

Reactions: ulrey and MIS01
“Discretion is the better part of valor.” SS is a smart lady who should’ve known when to zip it up.

SS was suspended for publicly disparaging ESPN/her employer in public, right? Must have broke/violated her contract/company policy/rules of employee conduct rules. She may have signed an NDA as well? I like her, & hope they keep her.
She publicly disparaged her colleagues in a personal manner. That’s what got her parked.

I like Dan calling games. I dislike 1) his constant need to hear himself talk even over his guests, and 2) he goes out of his way to trash his alma mater and his former coach that helped him get to where he is today. It has nothing to do with him “not being a homer”

Yes, Dan. You were simply TOO GOOD for ESPN. They were intimidated by your greatness.

Sounds like meritocratic principles lost him his gigs to me. As in there was no merit to keeping him around. Just sayin'.
Like Trump, DD is usually his own worst enemy. Both got what they were asking for. Little sympathy for those who continually cut their own throats.

:O

I like Dan calling games. I dislike 1) his constant need to hear himself talk even over his guests, and 2) he goes out of his way to trash his alma mater and his former coach that helped him get to where he is today. It has nothing to do with him “not being a homer”
True, he's better at calling games than his sports talk show host gig. Have to believe, if he keeps his angry at the world attitude at 'The Fan', that won't last much longer either. You know they are constantly looking for his replacement.

Sure looks like he holds a real grudge against IU basketball for not making him the head coach. No matter what he says on air, I think/it sure sounds like he is secretly rooting against everything IU, especially their men's basketball games.

Get over it DD

Common Sense

She publicly disparaged her colleagues in a personal manner. That’s what got her parked.
Yep, broke her contract rules/stipulations. You mean she disparaged them in public, right? That said/done, she's too photogenic, sports wise & talented to lose that job. I'm kind of surprised Rachel Nichols got off as lightly as she did, with what she said about her ESPN coworker.

Yep, broke her contract rules/stipulations. You mean she disparaged them in public, right? That said/done, she's too photogenic, sports wise & talented to lose that job. I'm kind of surprised Rachel Nichols got off as lightly as she did, with what she said about her ESPN coworker.
That’s what “publicly” means.

This is the second time Sage has over-shared her views. She got in a bit of hot water when she complained about the anti-trump travel ban protests holding up things at the airport. She now complains about ESPN's vaxx policy on the air.

I like Sage and am proud that she is a fellow alum, but 1. She needs to get the message this time and 2. She needs to have the jab and encourage others to do so.

ESPN sure as hell doesn't want to lose her, she is a very valuable asset, so they need to have an understanding that sticks.

Reactions: billyhillui
This is the second time Sage has over-shared her views. She got in a bit of hot water when she complained about the anti-trump travel ban protests holding up things at the airport. She now complains about ESPN's vaxx policy on the air.

I like Sage and am proud that she is a fellow alum, but 1. She needs to get the message this time and 2. She needs to have the jab and encourage others to do so.

ESPN sure as hell doesn't want to lose her, she is a very valuable asset, so they need to have an understanding that sticks.
She wasn’t suspended over the vaccination policy comments.

Reactions: billyhillui
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT