ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich rant on Bob Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as reaching out at this point it should just consist of:
Coach you are invited to xxxx please let us know if you plan to attend.
No need to do anything "special" to get him to attend.
Up to him. At this point I do not care of he says yes or no but neither the school, or players, should
"beg" him to attend.

If you're referring to someone that can think straight, then yes I am. I'm not blinded by what people thought was his greatness. He's an old ignorant man who blames others for his own stupidity and bigotry. He deserved to be fired and he's merely blaming others for his own faults. Just more of the same is all.

National titles do not outweigh his rudeness. He did not make Indiana, it was there LONG before him I assure you.

His....bigotry???? Where do you get off posting baseless crap like that on here? You oughta be banned for it.

Reactions: russelltodd
That is from left field. RMK, in my opinion, has a number of personal issues but bigotry is not one of them.

That said, he deserved to be fired. To say that he was just "a pawn" of Myles Brand's quest to revolutionize college athletics is absurd. It would be preposterous for him to think that he could do the things he did without professional repercussions. And, at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure that the separation between Knight and IU still -- 15+ years later -- comes down to Knight's belief that he was unjustly terminated.

What an employee might deserve is relative to his or her employer.

In all of Brand's philosophical pondering, he failed to calculate that Knight could have been an instrumental ally to the success of a reform movement. He instead chose to make an example of Knight, all in vain. Knight was indeed Brand's pawn. Brand pursued the IU president position precisely because of Knight.

Contrary to Brand's stated goals, 15 years later intercollegiate athletics is more commercialized, with higher AD budgets, than ever. The NCAA is distrusted. And of all the ironies, there is IU, with the advertising, the budget, the 3.5MM coach, the transgressions, and the academic failures.

Knight spent 23 years (71-94) building a program that became a model for student-athletics, only to see it sabotaged for an ill-conceived greater good that never materialized. It disintegrated in a few short years after succumbing to the very things he'd guarded against for so long.

Knight isn't holding loyalty over his players. He's doing exactly what he's always done: coach them. They'll understand this in a way you and I cannot.

To bad DD did not learn the one thing BK would not have tolerated. Not cheating at any level. DD can act all high and mighty but Samscum did not act alone. And the coaching staff which DD forgets he was a part of were not all in the dark. It amazes me how many forget he was part of the staff that brought IU basketball to it's knees. And in some respects still digging out. How he gets a free pass is beyond me.

In all of Brand's philosophical pondering, he failed to calculate that Knight could have been an instrumental ally to the success of a reform movement. He instead chose to make an example of Knight, all in vain. Knight was indeed Brand's pawn. Brand pursued the IU president position precisely because of Knight.

Contrary to Brand's stated goals, 15 years later intercollegiate athletics is more commercialized, with higher AD budgets, than ever. The NCAA is distrusted. And of all the ironies, there is IU, with the advertising, the budget, the 3.5MM coach, the transgressions, and the academic failures.

Knight spent 23 years (71-94) building a program that became a model for student-athletics, only to see it sabotaged for an ill-conceived greater good that never materialized. It disintegrated in a few short years after succumbing to the very things he'd guarded against for so long.

Knight isn't holding loyalty over his players. He's doing exactly what he's always done: coach them. They'll understand this in a way you and I cannot.
"Knight was indeed Brand's pawn. Brand pursued the IU president position precisely because of Knight."

Pure fiction.

What academic failures are you talking about?

Are you saying induction into a school's Hall of Fame is not a public display of gratitude for somebody's accomplishments? Virtually everybody who has had that honor, if they were able, has showed up in person to be recognized. They had that for him -- and he was a no-show.

You mean like they did for Lee Corso who had a winning record in about 25% of his seasons at IU?

The Mount Rushmore of Indiana University athletics has guys at the forefront who have things named after them:

"Councilman Billingsley Aquatic Center"
"Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium"
"Billy Hayes Track"
"Sam Bell Invitational"

What they really should do is a open a Bob Knight athletics library in the new Assembly Hall and dedicate the decorations in the room to his accomplishments. You could have all sorts of history of coaching, athletics and athletic achievements books in there which would be both scholarly and a classy way to honor the greatest college basketball mind in history.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?162101-1/reform-intercollegiate-athletics

This speech by Brand at the National Press Club – less than one year after firing Knight – has all the clues one needs to know why Knight was fired, and it wasn’t because the winning record was deteriorating. Brand used Knight’s behavior as a means to an end. He garnered enough votes from the Board, fired Knight, and used that action as a springboard in his campaign to reform intercollegiate athletics. Knight was a pawn.

If I’m Bob Knight, it’s nearly impossible to reconcile how Brand exploited me, with support from a Board of Indiana residents, in light of the facts that my players’ graduation rate was above that of the general student population, that I demanded academic excellence and generously supported academics, and that I was already an opponent of commercializing intercollegiate athletics.

Knight plainly states in his biography that the trajectory at IU changed in 1994 with Brand becoming president. His recollection is that he should have listened to his instincts and left town, but he couldn’t pull himself away from it.

This is a fine post. Really true. Clarence Doninger and his sneaky little exploits at practices and all the double crossing going on with Felling, etc. It was a very very difficult situation for Knight to exist in. He was fired for being who he always had been and it was done just before the resurgence that so many here simply refuse to recognize. Knight had come around with Jeffries, Fife, Haston, Newton, etc. He had what he needed to go right back to the top and everyone who followed closely new it. And they were looking to make sure that didn't happen.

"Knight was indeed Brand's pawn. Brand pursued the IU president position precisely because of Knight."

Pure fiction.

Neither is completely true, in my opinion. Brand rose to national prominence for "standing up to Knight". That is part of what gave him the pedestal to seek such a lofty office. That part should not be denied.

Thanks Bobby ... seriously ... then dude threw chairs. choked players and pretty much sucked for a long time before IU canned him.

If Knight "sucked for a long time" I'd hate to see how you define Crean's tenure.

Knight was going to have an amazing shot at the 2002 National Title. He had Sean May coming right after that. Haston would have stayed his final year and we had Jeffries, Newton, Moye, Owens, Fife, Hornsby, Odle and Coverdale. Recall that Owens went on to be an All American at Houston after he parted ways under Davis (and replaced by Donald Perry).

The Reed/Mandeville/Collier/Recker years played a toll, but Knight had the ship righted in the months before he was canned. I guarantee you they would have been better than 25-12 in 01-02 with Knight there. And they made the Final Four anyway for cripes sake.

I can't repeat myself enough. People also fail to recall the Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, Minnesota and Ohio State cheating scandals that occurred in the same time period. You want to look at winning percentage comparisons in the Big Ten for coaches after accounting for those scandals, let me know what you find.

RMK was fired bc they knew we were getting ready to be really good again. It was then or never for that crowd.

I'll never forget the poll that said almost 50% of indiana residents agreed with him being fired. As if 100% of the state is iu fans. I guarantee we know how every Purdue fan answered that survey lol.
And I'm still waiting on the iu grad that didn't get a job bc Bob Knight embarrassed and tarnished the value of an iu degree.

The facts are that any other accomplished, mature, leader of men would have been responding to these offers in a different manner. How has Mallory responded to the university after being fired, ever seen video of the fired Valvano at the NC State championship reunion etc. ? I was a freshman for the '75-'76 season, think he is one of the greatest coaches ever but no longer care if he ever comes back. He is bitter and immature. What else do you think IU should do to reach out? Name the court after a guy that sued the university, refused to say the name Indiana when broadcasting, shuns loyal players that go to a reunion etc etc. Really? The winning was great but winning games does is not the only component of any coach or individual.
Bob Knight did not sue the university.

You mean like they did for Lee Corso who had a winning record in about 25% of his seasons at IU?

The Mount Rushmore of Indiana University athletics has guys at the forefront who have things named after them:

"Councilman Billingsley Aquatic Center"
"Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium"
"Billy Hayes Track"
"Sam Bell Invitational"

What they really should do is a open a Bob Knight athletics library in the new Assembly Hall and dedicate the decorations in the room to his accomplishments. You could have all sorts of history of coaching, athletics and athletic achievements books in there which would be both scholarly and a classy way to honor the greatest college basketball mind in history.

It's not IU standing in the way of something like that happening. So long as he's alive and unwilling to show up for any such honor, they aren't going to name anything after him -- nor should they.

Maybe after he passes away and can't embarrass the university by snubbing them. But even then, I'm sure Pat and Tim would make a point of not showing up.

Gosh, you guys make it sound like IU is the party keeping the ice frozen. They aren't, and never have been.

that original lawsuit was filed on behalf of Knight by supporters but not Knight himself. The suit you refer to was dropped. Felling? That is another matter and one I overlooked as it did not pertain to Knights termination. On that note, I stand corrected.

You say he never sued but that he dropped a suit?
Dropping a suit means he did sue or else there would not have been anything to drop.

Neither is completely true, in my opinion. Brand rose to national prominence for "standing up to Knight". That is part of what gave him the pedestal to seek such a lofty office. That part should not be denied.
That may be true, but the narrative that he engineered some sort of Machiavellian plan in support of his personal aspirations is gibberish. The fact is Brand had no idea what to do with Knight, and even less desire to do battle with him. That is unequivocally proven by the fact that he had the necessary support to fire him in May, 2000 but chose not to after Knight made a personal appeal for retaining his job. Brand relented and concocted "zero tolerance", which Knight publicly and enthusiastically endorsed. The media, who had been praising Brand for standing up to BK, turned on him with a vengeance after that, labeling him as yet another weak IU leader who wouldn't stand up to the all powerful basketball coach. Any notion that Knight was fired due to some grand plan by Brand goes up in smoke when these basic facts are considered.

Can you read and comprehend? He said he stood corrected as it pertained to Felling. You want to continue to beat this horse?

I was finished with this but the funny thing is that you are the one that cannot, as you say, "read and comprehend".
The Felling suit was not the Knight vs IU suit and was not the one that was being referenced.
Read it again very slowly and maybe you will be able to follow along.
I would not have "beaten" this in the first place but he stated RMK did not sue and I wanted to set the record straight.

Dakich is a nut looking for attention and ratings. That's it. He said what he said because he knew it would get people to pay attention to him and listen to his program. What he said is pure nonsense. Expecting him to come back to a place that publicly humiliated him after 29 years of service is just ludicrous. He has celebrated the accomplishments of the 76 team over and over again. He has helped a lot of those players throughout their lives and for the fans, he speaks all over the state and tells stories of that team everywhere he talks. He doesnt ignore his days at Indiana. I have heard him speak multiple times and he talks about fans, former teams and players, and the support he got from them all the time. Also, lets not forget that their still people on the board and involved with the University that back stabbed him in 2000. Despite what some people think, they are not ALL gone. With all the media attention Coach would get, the celebration would all be about Bob Knight and Bob Knight coming back for the first time and not about the 76 team. Maybe he did not want to overshadow the team and their accomplishment? So, to Dakich, if that was Coach Knights reason, that absolutely backs what he told all of his players all of those years that its not about him but about the team and Indiana basketball.
However, on the flip side of this, I would love for Coach Knight to come back and get the honor he deserves in Assembly Hall. I would pay whatever the price to come and cheer for him. I understand why he does not come back but I do disagree with him. I think honoring him and the cheering and support he would get would be a huge slap in the face to the people who are still there and the people who are not. Maybe one day he will understand that and come back.
With Dakich's ratings struggling on his radio show and his lousy commentary on TV, he sold his soul and ranted against Coach Knight with desperate hopes of saving his you know what. Shameful.

With all the media attention Coach would get, the celebration would all be about Bob Knight and Bob Knight coming back for the first time and not about the 76 team. Maybe he did not want to overshadow the team and their accomplishment?

Uh, no. If this was the case, why did he apparently scold Buckner for going? Why did Scott May's son have to talk him into going?

He wants the former players to join him in his everlasting boycott. And that's sheer vindictive childishness.

Uh, no. If this was the case, why did he apparently scold Buckner for going? Why did Scott May's son have to talk him into going?

He wants the former players to join him in his everlasting boycott. And that's sheer vindictive childishness.
This is a continuation of his behavior in the days after he was fired, when he essentially expected the players to walk out on the University in solidarity with him. This has been going on, in one form or fashion, since he left.

Everybody on this board who has bashed RMK would cheer for RMK if he came back. But it is not going to happen. This 40th anniversary celebration was the last best chance. He is all about loyalty but its only one way. You have to kiss his ring and his ass. And that's true even with his own players (and probably family too)

However, on the flip side of this, I would love for Coach Knight to come back and get the honor he deserves in Assembly Hall. I would pay whatever the price to come and cheer for him. I understand why he does not come back but I do disagree with him. I think honoring him and the cheering and support he would get would be a huge slap in the face to the people who are still there and the people who are not. Maybe one day he will understand that and come back.

Does "hh" stand for "his highness"/

There's no evidence that he scolded Buckner for going. May had to be talked into going because he was upset at the fans for booing his son. Sounds like a good reason to be upset and talked into going to me. Coach Knight talks about Indiana and the past teams all the time at his speeches. Is it that popostouris for Coach Knight to choose not to go to any event at the very University that fired and humiliated him? He talks highly of his past teams and their accomplishments every chance he gets. He also talks highly of the Indiana fans. He just chooses not to participate when it is sponsored by the University. I don't see the issue here.

Buckner said something to the effect that he was probably in Knight's doghouse for going to the game.

I think he still could have shown up and met with the '76 team without going to the IU-related events or "overshadowing" anyone. He's certainly found time to do events in Indiana when he gets paid to do so.
That's my biggest beef with him. He won't go back to IU for the benefit of the fans, players, or coaches, but he has no problem going back to the state Indiana to benefit himself. As much as Knight put his stamp on IU's basketball program, Indiana fans made him a god like figure. At some point he needs to acknowledge that. Everything he's gotten was because he was a coach in INDIANA, where basketball is king. You can say he would of had the same success and fanfare elsewhere, but my gut says no way. It was the perfect storm.

His....bigotry???? Where do you get off posting baseless crap like that on here? You oughta be banned for it.

Do you understand what bigotry is? It's "intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself." RMK had his ideals and unlike the rest of society, he thought his opinions were the only ones that mattered. That is known as bigotry. When someone says you can't physically grab someone or force your opinions on someone, that is a known rule we follow in our society. Bob didn't think he needed to follow those rules when someone disagreed with him. Why on EARTH should someone be banned for posting that?

That's my biggest beef with him. He won't go back to IU for the benefit of the fans, players, or coaches, but he has no problem going back to the state Indiana to benefit himself. As much as Knight put his stamp on IU's basketball program, Indiana fans made him a god like figure. At some point he needs to acknowledge that. Everything he's gotten was because he was a coach in INDIANA, where basketball is king. You can say he would of had the same success and fanfare elsewhere, but my gut says no way. It was the perfect storm.
Lets see....Knight lost over 2 million dollars when he was fired...He auctioned off a sizeable amount of IU and championship memorabilia for the benefit of his grandchildren's future. It sounds like you find his income-producing activities in Indiana as somehow nefarious. They are about as illegitimate as yours.

Do you understand what bigotry is? It's "intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself." RMK had his ideals and unlike the rest of society, he thought his opinions were the only ones that mattered. That is known as bigotry. When someone says you can't physically grab someone or force your opinions on someone, that is a known rule we follow in our society. Bob didn't think he needed to follow those rules when someone disagreed with him. Why on EARTH should someone be banned for posting that?

This is a complete can of worms. If Bob Knight is guilty of bigotry, then he's also a victim of it.

Society is full of people who imagine their ideology is more evolved. Fortunately, there is no such thing as a civil right to NOT be offended by someone else's opinion. Unfortunately for Knight, someone else's opinion of him led to his firing.

This is a complete can of worms. If Bob Knight is guilty of bigotry, then he's also a victim of it.

Society is full of people who imagine their ideology is more evolved. Fortunately, there is no such thing as a civil right to NOT be offended by someone else's opinion. Unfortunately for Knight, someone else's opinion of him led to his firing.

What's a can of worms? The reason RMK was fired was because he used the same logic as you just did. Congrats. There's one thing to have an opinion and it's a completely different thing to force your opinion upon someone else. Knight proved on many occasions that he felt the need to force his opinions on everyone else. Even a poor student who was doing nothing more than trying to say hello to him....but it wasn't in the way BOB must have hello's said to him. I mean seriously, it's indefensible yet people keep trying to defend it. It wasn't someone elses opinion as much as it was almost EVERYONE else's opinion. It was common sense that led to his demise and not Myles Brand. Myles did many foolish things even a lot with how he handled the firing but Myles is not to blame for Bob being Bob.

What's a can of worms? The reason RMK was fired was because he used the same logic as you just did. Congrats. There's one thing to have an opinion and it's a completely different thing to force your opinion upon someone else. Knight proved on many occasions that he felt the need to force his opinions on everyone else. Even a poor student who was doing nothing more than trying to say hello to him....but it wasn't in the way BOB must have hello's said to him. I mean seriously, it's indefensible yet people keep trying to defend it. It wasn't someone elses opinion as much as it was almost EVERYONE else's opinion. It was common sense that led to his demise and not Myles Brand. Myles did many foolish things even a lot with how he handled the firing but Myles is not to blame for Bob being Bob.

I don't believe telling Kent Harvey to respect his elders makes Knight a bigot. The only thing it might indicate is Knight's susceptibility to being baited by the stepson of a vocal, on-campus critic of Knight.

You know how you intended it to be interpreted. For someone who only watched "a handful" of games when RMK was coaching you sure seem to really hate him. I'll bet you didn't slam Sampson half as much...

You know how you intended it to be interpreted. For someone who only watched "a handful" of games when RMK was coaching you sure seem to really hate him. I'll bet you didn't slam Sampson half as much...

Of course he knew how it would be interpreted. I actually agree with some of his points but to pretend he did not know the bait he was setting, by using the word bigotry, is being disingenuous.

Of course he knew how it would be interpreted. I actually agree with some of his points but to pretend he did not know the bait he was setting, by using the word bigotry, is being disingenuous.

No, there was no bait, I can assure you. You guys are looking WAY too far into it. My anger isn't even towards Bob Knight as much as it is to the people that try to defend him. His argument is absolutely defenseless in every possible way. His coaching was fantastic but that is exactly where it ended. Everything else he did off the court should have cost him his job many times over. So to act astonished that he was canned just reeks of someone being in cult. It's like people want to blindly follow even though they themselves know he was in the wrong in each of those situations he was reprimanded for. He always thought his opinion was the only one that mattered and will never change that. The reason he thought that way was because of his cult following that massaged his ego and told him he was in the right. So I blame the people that reinforced that behavior just as much as I do him.

At this point, it matters little what any of us think regarding Coach Knight returning to Assembly Hall. He's set in his ways and unlikely to change. What bothers me is he does return for speaking engagements in Indiana and has no problem raising money in Indiana, which I think is great on his part, but does so not for Indiana University but for the fans of his. My only question is, how would his appearing with the 1976 team's honor ceremony not been something for the fans and not rewarding the university? I was at the game, and if he'd showed up it wouldn't have meant IU would have made a single dime more from the ceremony than it did, but it would certainly have given the crowd the thrill of a lifetime, and make true his assertation that it wasn't about the name on the back of jersey but the name on the front that mattered.

Saying that, I only wish he'd shown up to give a reprise of his infamous "bury me upside down" speech. Would have been fitting given the situation. lol

No, there was no bait, I can assure you. You guys are looking WAY too far into it. My anger isn't even towards Bob Knight as much as it is to the people that try to defend him. His argument is absolutely defenseless in every possible way. His coaching was fantastic but that is exactly where it ended. Everything else he did off the court should have cost him his job many times over. So to act astonished that he was canned just reeks of someone being in cult. It's like people want to blindly follow even though they themselves know he was in the wrong in each of those situations he was reprimanded for. He always thought his opinion was the only one that mattered and will never change that. The reason he thought that way was because of his cult following that massaged his ego and told him he was in the right. So I blame the people that reinforced that behavior just as much as I do him.
You've just jumped the shark with that post. Your extreme hatred for the man seems to know no bounds. CULT???? Wow.

You've just jumped the shark with that post. Your extreme hatred for the man seems to know no bounds. CULT???? Wow.

Say what you want but it's an analogy and one that fits perfectly. Any Bob Knight fan would agree that they don't like most of the things he did off the court or the way he's not held himself accountable. But they find things deep down and twist those into sounding like they were amazing characteristics that only the true RMK fans would understand but that is exactly what people following a cult leader would say. Hence the cult reference. I am not comparing someone to following Haley's comet. Merely the mentality in following a cult leader.

And again, it's not the hatred for the man as much as it is trying to shake the people that are seeing tunnel vision to snap out of it. What he did speaks all the volumes for itself, I need not say anymore to that. My reference is and continues to be towards the people who still worship him.

Reactions: darrin09
Say what you want but it's an analogy and one that fits perfectly. Any Bob Knight fan would agree that they don't like most of the things he did off the court or the way he's not held himself accountable. But they find things deep down and twist those into sounding like they were amazing characteristics that only the true RMK fans would understand but that is exactly what people following a cult leader would say. Hence the cult reference. I am not comparing someone to following Haley's comet. Merely the mentality in following a cult leader.

And again, it's not the hatred for the man as much as it is trying to shake the people that are seeing tunnel vision to snap out of it. What he did speaks all the volumes for itself, I need not say anymore to that. My reference is and continues to be towards the people who still worship him.
You think that spouting your hatred is going to let others see the TRUE LIGHT of what Coach Knight was? That's ludicrous. A lot of what you are saying is pure speculation and opinion. I think enough has been said about this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT