ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich rant on Bob Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't care less if he came back or not but what I don't like is that RMK has tried to keep the former players from coming back to IU. I also don't like that players are in the dog house if they go back to IU or seem to support IU in any way.

THAT is on the players that allow it to happen.

I've loved Indiana for as long as I can remember and Bob Knight has not hurt me. What does hurt me is watching the brand of basketball that I've had to suffer the last 15 years. I don't think Knight receiving a bogus round of applause would have fixed that.

Well, Indiana University wanted to change that brand 100%, and perhaps Coach Knight just doesn't feel the connection...because the brand is different. He said his goodbyes in front of the students and I recall him mentioning that IU would take the basketball program in a new direction

Mission accomplished.

Remember when Mike Davis got the job, what he told Andrea Kramer on ESPN? He was asked what he wanted to change about IU basketball. His answer was simple: "EVERYTHING". That was the IU admin speaking through Davis. Of course they wanted to change everything.

We saw it again when the IU administration hired Sampson. For years IU fans could sit on their high horse and look down at the programs that cheated. Until that day.

Your comparison doesn't wash. RMK isn't your uncle who won't visit on Christmas. He's the greatest coach in the history of IU. You also clearly believe RMK does owe something to you and the university, never mind that he gave you three championships, an undefeated season and basically the best years of his life. Just admit it. When you and your ilk proclaim that you hope he never shows up, you're being more petty about it than he ever has. At least he has some justification.

If he never comes back, I'm fine with his decision. If by some miracle he ever does come back, I will welcome him with open arms. I suspect most fans would do the same. The way I feel about him is unconditional. The prevailing attitude here is disappointing to say the least.

Being that I didn't watch but a few IU games when RMK was the coach, I can assure you I don't feel like he owes me anything. Past players are all turning on him because he is declining to show up for selfish reasons and selfish reasons only. You can try and make lame excuses for him because you're still worshiping his bath water but most everyone can see how ridiculous he has been.

THAT is on the players that allow it to happen.

Huh, none the players have allowed that to happen. It's why Quinn Buckner said he's in the dog house right now. They still come either way. Those players are going to care for RMK forever but reality lies squarely where Dan Dakich explained perfectly.

I'm wondering whether Knight might not be dealing with some dementia issues. His confusion/sleeping while appearing on television plus ESPN's non-renewal of his contract suggest that his current mental capacity might be diminishing noticeably.
I've heard today this is the case.

Branch McCracken would disagree.

We would not be an all time great program today if not for the championships under RMK. To deny his impact is silly. I personally don't like his behavior over the past number of years, but RMK has been remarkably consistent. There is nothing hypocritical about it. Petty, absolutely.

If Bob Knight had spent the years since his firing publically trashing IU or focusing on IU in general in the public domain....then yes, it could be construed as some obscure form of hypocrisy. Knight has done none of that. He has gone out of his way to avoid public discourse about IU. His divorce has been complete and permanent....and I find absolutely no hypocrisy in that. His life lessons to student athletes about a lifelong commitment were genuine. Knight himself was a lifelong commit to IU.....until Miles Brand and the university changed that.

I couldn't disagree with Dakich more. For those who disagree with Knight about his refusal to reconnect with IU...that is a fact of life that they will have to live with.
I see a lot of your points. But Bob Knight should have been there at Assembly Hall for his former players. Buckner made some kind of comment alluding to being hurt that Knight was not there. This says a lot. That 76 team played their butts off for him and he should have sucked it up and went to the game to be with his players. It's not about the school. It's about them.

Reactions: outside shooter
Huh, none the players have allowed that to happen. It's why Quinn Buckner said he's in the dog house right now. They still come either way. Those players are going to care for RMK forever but reality lies squarely where Dan Dakich explained perfectly.

They did not all come, and the lead up angst was rediculous. This has kept several away for a long time and that is their problem. I give no one that much power over me.

I don't know if he is tormented every day about his firing, or rarely thinks about it.

Buckner said that he's on the outs with Knight for going to the reunion. What's that tell you?

If he'd have just moved on, he may not show up himself. But he certainly wouldn't scold players for going to such events.

I'd say he's still actively bitter about it -- and it probably comes down to his mistaken belief that the firing was unjustified.

I wonder what changed Dan's mind about this? It is really the only thing he has defended RMK about consistently on his show.
He has always said they fired him so he didn't blame him for not wanting to come back.
He also made a comment a couple weeks ago implying something was going on in RMK's private life that isn't good but didn't go into detail.
Also they said during the broadcast that banner wasn't staying inside AH didn't they?

We would not be an all time great program today if not for the championships under RMK.

You don't - and can't - know that.

IU gave RMK the environment, support, recruiting base, resources and freedom to be highly successful as a coach, and he responded to that with coaching championship teams - and being a great contributor to IU as an educational institution. IMHO, it took both IU and RMK together to do that; RMK didn't do it all by himself.

That's why I think IU is a very under-performing program right now . . . IU has as much potential as any other program to have top 10 performances year-in and year-out. If the fan base didn't feel that way we wouldn't be carrying pitchforks and torches regarding a coach who currently has a team with a 13-3/3-0 record.

Back to RMK - something happened somewhere along the way, where RMK began to believe that he was the only reason IU was successful at basketball . . . rather than the partnership between him and the school. And when that happened, he began to hollow out - something was eating at him from the inside-out - both as a coach and in his commitment to IU as an educational institution. It was like he felt that IU wasn't grateful enough to have him, rather than him being grateful to have IU as an employer - and if there's ever a sign you've stayed too long in a job, that's it.

Maybe he should've taken the O$U job when Gary Williams got that job . . . maybe he would have been in a better frame of mind about what he was doing, plus he could've retired from his alma mater . . . or maybe he should've gone to Arizona or New Mexico when whoever it was out there that courted him, so he could have had a fresh start. In any case, he stayed at IU for longer than was healthy for either him or IU's bball program . . .

. . . what we're left with now is a sad ending to what was a great run, and then a very good run . . .

. . . and that's OK . . . it's very clear that now is the time to put RMK behind us - which IMO includes replacing Crean, as Crean is really the transition out of the RMK era (with it's tormenting, head-shaking mess of an aftermath) to IU's future, which simply ain't Crean . . .

. . . so let's get on with it. Let's hope RMK's health issues get behind him, let's wish Crean well, and then let's look for the next guy who will lead IU to it's right and proper place as an all time great program. It's time to let go of what's keeping us down, and grab hold of the next run at greatness . . . .

Reactions: myrtlefan
We would not be an all time great program today if not for the championships under RMK. To deny his impact is silly. I personally don't like his behavior over the past number of years, but RMK has been remarkably consistent. There is nothing hypocritical about it. Petty, absolutely.
I am not discounting the history or impact Knight had. I am saying we had an excellent program in the 50's. We had a history prior to Knight. Mixed in among those good years we had a few duds. We could have won consecutive titles under McCracken in '53 and '54. Read Slick Leonard's book. It is a good history lesson about the early 50's.

Knight gave no indication leading up to this ceremony that he had any intentions of attending.
I couldn't care less if he came back or not but what I don't like is that RMK has tried to keep the former players from coming back to IU. I also don't like that players are in the dog house if they go back to IU or seem to support IU in any way.
lets see....accusation without source or evidence?

Knight gave no indication leading up to this ceremony that he had any intentions of attending.

lets see....accusation without source or evidence?
Never said he was going to attend and I couldn't care less if he did. What I find bad is that he is trying to make the players decide who they are going to be loyal to him or IU.

The problem here is most IU fans deified Knight. I understand because it happens at any place that had a legendary coach. The trouble is faults are ignored and memories seem to age like wine. A lot of fans now seem to be ready to move on but the diehards never will. It hurts coaches like the current one because of the constant comparisons every time something goes wrong. I'd kill to have the history but he's been away a long time. Btw... I am a big Dakich fan.

If the fan base didn't feel that way we wouldn't be carrying pitchforks and torches regarding a coach who currently has a team with a 13-3/3-0 record.

smh ... you know better ...

Just think how you'd hype it if those other 3 games were against NJIT, Longwood, and Ellettsville instead of WF, UNLV, and Duke in a blow out.

I listened to it. Pretty harsh, but Dakich does have a point. RMK has not really shown a lot of respect towards IU, the institution that gave him a forum for his insanity, and also the place that kept him employed a solid 15 years after most coaches would've been fired for malignant behavior (championships aside of course). I understand the anger---i would not have had warm feelings for IU either if they had essentially conducted a coup on me/my job like they did with him. But the time has well passed, and all the people in charge that signed the papers of his dismissal are long gone. IU has done everything to reach out to him, and he still rebukes the idea.

Dakich is right in that, RMK said one thing but believed another. He is beloved by this fan base and many people in this state, and yet shows no reciprocity. RMK 'goes cold' to any former player or associate that warms to IU--that's another sign of his pettiness. Anyone who distances themselves from IU gets on his good side.

In short, Knight is a sad, petulant old man with the attitude of an infant, and I'm glad that Dakich didn't hold back. RMKs former players are so scared to say anything they truly feel, because the RMK Secret Police will report back to him. It's like a mafia system.

And that's why I could care less about RMK--and yes I grew up watching him and he was even at IU while I was there--but I don't think we should talk about RMK anymore. I wish Glass would stop kissing his ___, because it just seems like the nerdy kid at school who plays Dungeons and Dragons who suddenly wants to go to the dance with the head of the cheerleading squad. So yes, RMK is a little girl.

You cannot absolve Knight anymore. He stood up his own players, his own fans, the school that allowed him to conduct a tyrannical dictatorship....all because of what? Pride?

Go Dakich. Not only does he dunk on Bob Kravitz, but he dunks all over his former mentor.

Bobby Knight 3x Champs Autographed Indiana Hoosiers Red Jersey

ha! This seems like a good place to post this link.

41NdfiJZuwL.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B012EA0QA2
Amazon product ASIN B012EA0QA2

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff the IU fan
Bobby Knight's business whether he comes or not. Having said that I have maintained for years that Knight got fired because IU wasn't going farther into the tourney. When he started at IU he beat teams he shouldn't have beaten, when he left IU he was losing to teams he should not have been losing to. Knight is a unique individual who was able to coach young men and get a lot out of them. He preached discipline on the floor but let his anger get him into hot water. I really place a lot of the blame on the uppers of IU. Knight was never held in check when he started at IU. He wasn't told you can't act like that because he was winning. He grew to be bigger than IU and definitely the face of IU (still is) and then the uppers tried to get a handle on his conduct. Like waiting till a child is 18 and then trying to teach them or discipline them, too late. Knight wasn't about to give into them, he was in charge and he would not let them tell him what he would do or not do. They used the incident to fire him, but I say it was still about not going farther in the NCAA tournament. I believe he had lost a "step" or the fire that he had when he was younger (most people do). I ask if Knight had been the ad and he was in charge of deciding if a coach would continue to coach when his teams were far less successful than they had been, he would have manned up and fired the coach for that instead of using the excuse they used. Knight had no problem benching a player who wasn't producing, he would have had no problem firing a coach. Having said that, if Knight would have coached in the era thirty years before we would have the Bobby Knight Award instead of the John Wooden Award, he was a great coach, maybe the best ever. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to accept Crean, how does anyone compare with Knight and what he did.

Being that I didn't watch but a few IU games when RMK was the coach, I can assure you I don't feel like he owes me anything. Past players are all turning on him because he is declining to show up for selfish reasons and selfish reasons only. You can try and make lame excuses for him because you're still worshiping his bath water but most everyone can see how ridiculous he has been.

Ah, I see. You're one of those "gnu fans", as we used to call them. Thanks for the clarification.

Bob Knight was fired by IU, and Miles Brand. That was that. For any one to think Bob Knight should show up to Assembly Hall or any where else at IU....what are you thinking?

So IU has reached out to Knight? Really? How? North Carolina named their basketball arena after their celebrated coach.....Its called the Dean Smith Center. I'm sure Dean showed up for the commemoration. What exactly has IU done to commemorate Bobby Knight other than invite him to speak or show up for a ceremony here or there?

No....it isn't on Bobby Knight to make the next move at reconciliation. When Assembly Hall is renamed the Robert M. Knight Center....better yet, the new basketball arena which should be built and named as such in advance, then, I'll say its his move.

Never said he was going to attend and I couldn't care less if he did. What I find bad is that he is trying to make the players decide who they are going to be loyal to him or IU.[/QUOTE

I agree...having players that worked their butts off for him pick either him or their university is very petty.
One of the greatest coaches ever but, as has been demonstrated many times, he preached loyalty, discipline, doing the right thing etc., yet was personally petty and vindictive.

Last edited:
Bob Knight was fired by IU, and Miles Brand. That was that. For any one to think Bob Knight should show up to Assembly Hall or any where else at IU....what are you thinking?

So IU has reached out to Knight? Really? How? North Carolina named their basketball arena after their celebrated coach.....Its called the Dean Smith Center. I'm sure Dean showed up for the commemoration. What exactly has IU done to commemorate Bobby Knight other than invite him to speak or show up for a ceremony here or there?

No....it isn't on Bobby Knight to make the next move at reconciliation. When Assembly Hall is renamed the Robert M. Knight Center....better yet, the new basketball arena which should be built and named as such in advance, then, I'll say its his move.

Bill Mallory was fired by IU and Myles Brand, too. And for less of a good reason, to boot. He still honors his ties to the university and the program.

Heck, IU even fired Bill's son. It happens in the coaching profession.

Reactions: muubell
Every player who commented at all said that the night, while special, would have been so much better for them if RMK were there.

He doesn't owe jack to IU or its fans, but you'd think he'd be there to honor the greatest team ever assembled.

It's OK that he didn't want to attend his IU Hall of Fame induction, or those of his players, but if ever there was one event where you'd think he would quit pouting and think of his players, this would have been it.

Reactions: IU40IU and eddy4iu

No way. No way ever do you name a building after a person you fired. No way. Never

I hate to admit it, but he is clearly turned into a petulant baby. All the fans in this state...if he quit being an ass, he would realize that the single largest nose thumb he could provide to the University and get a 30 minute standing ovation.

Can't help but wonder that, if we had a coach he respected, whether he wouldn't be more likely to return. And before you haters start in, he probably pukes in his mouth every time he has to watch 5 minutes of a Crean coached team.

Knight's attitude when he left it what is keeping anything from being named after him. It appears to me he could care less about the university naming something after him. If he wanted that he would have shown up long before now when he was invited. Knight said he should have left long before he got fired because the Athletic Department hierarchy and him did not see eye to eye ( In other words, he was no longer above the Department). iuvol pretty well nailed it in that respect.

I hate to face this fact, but it's true.
I keep hearing that mantra...."IU has reached out to RMK numerous times.....tried to bury the hatchet"....etc.....Yet no one has been able to specify just how that happened. It sounds good and reasonable, IU reached out to Knight.....but not a single specific act has been identified. Explain how IU gets credit for unsubstantiated goodwill, but RMK absolutely gets no benefit of the doubt. Before someone says..."we all know how RMK is"......No we don't, not really. Do you have a personal relationship with the man?

Before someone says..."we all know how RMK is"......No we don't, not really. Do you have a personal relationship with the man?

Dan Dakich does -- or, at least, did. Quinn Buckner does -- or at least did. AJ Guyton does, or at least did.

At what point does it become obvious that he is the problem here?

It's not just that he personally won't ever "come back." He apparently is STILL punishing those former players who do. Think about it...Quinn Buckner is saying that he's currently on the outs with Coach Knight. And why? Because he decided to go to Assembly Hall to be recognized with the '76 team.

It's insane that such a thing could possibly serve as a wedge between a coach and one of his former star players. But that's precisely what happened here.

I know second graders who are more mature and less petulant than that.

Dan Dakich does -- or, at least, did. Quinn Buckner does -- or at least did. AJ Guyton does, or at least did.

At what point does it become obvious that he is the problem here?

It's not just that he personally won't ever "come back." He apparently is STILL punishing those former players who do. Think about it...Quinn Buckner is saying that he's currently on the outs with Coach Knight. And why? Because he decided to go to Assembly Hall to be recognized with the '76 team.

It's insane that such a thing could possibly serve as a wedge between a coach and one of his former star players. But that's precisely what happened here.

I know second graders who are more mature and less petulant than that.

none of the names you cited have specified just how IU has reached out to RMK. The university seems to get credit for something no one can substantiate. If it happened, then prove it....Knight gets credit for snubbing IU, though.....funny how it goes just one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT