ADVERTISEMENT

Cyber-Safety

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Thnak your elected assjoles, er vote whores, er, representatives for doing nothing. as the oil flow stops.

Oro as you hear about on-line scames and thefts.

E-America is a lesser place than the country I grew up in.

Get out of yard and take your e-phone with you.

Thnak your elected assjoles, er vote whores, er, representatives for doing nothing. as the oil flow stops.

I think you drank a bad batch.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

Wait for it........
Wait for it........

Reactions: 76-1
We have greatly underestimated cyber threats for a long time. Corporate and government find it cheaper to just deal with the aftermath. The problem is some things are 1) too important to deal with that way and 2) hard on us, the customer/taxpayer.

In the last year we have had Solar Winds attack which infiltrated broad areas of the country, and Exchange attacked opening up emails from around the country. In the Exchange attack, the Microsoft vulnerabilities were 10 years old, someone waited until just the right moment for maximum gain (the Chinese are likely).

As a government we have relied on our offensive prowess, there is little doubt we can retaliate. But MAD may not work in cyberwar. First, like in this pipeline attack the actors may not be state villains. Crime units have much less to lose by us destroying their systems. And secondly, bringing down China's power grid as they bring down ours doesn't help us at all.

Here is what I know about cyber security, it costs money. When you tell your bosses how much and why, it becomes a cost they don't want to deal with. One has to have backing to get resources. Where i work it is the fear of an IT audit. I have my emails saying what I wanted to do, and the replies. And I have documents on how what I do fits in with what we are supposed to be doing. That gets more results. If we want corporations putting resources toward this, we need someone (government?) saying X Y and Z are flat out requirements. That will make cyber security more of a priority over just pay for the damage.

Stuxnet happened more than 10 years ago. That is ancient history in the cyber and technology world. I have no doubt that we have capabilities to do things that are inconceivable to 99% of us. My worry is that given our civilian leadership structure our priorities lie in irrelevant areas. We've been told that Climate Change is our largest existential threat and that "wokeness" will make us safer. I think both points are bullshit. I just hope that we have enough pros watching our backs.

Stuxnet happened more than 10 years ago. That is ancient history in the cyber and technology world. I have no doubt that we have capabilities to do things that are inconceivable to 99% of us. My worry is that given our civilian leadership structure our priorities lie in irrelevant areas. We've been told that Climate Change is our largest existential threat and that "wokeness" will make us safer. I think both points are bullshit. I just hope that we have enough pros watching our backs.

All it will take is one EMP attack and we're toast. Or, back to the 15th century.

All it will take is one EMP attack and we're toast. Or, back to the 15th century.
That sounds like a really good Woke Corrective action, But then again I can live 15th century (I've the knowledge, tools and security items). I'd be willing to go back to Correct this massive FWoke up that we have allowed to happen.

That sounds like a really good Woke Corrective action, But then again I can live 15th century (I've the knowledge, tools and security items). I'd be willing to go back to Correct this massive FWoke up that we have allowed to happen.
Neat. You could make it off grid? Like a doomsday prepper? One of my best friends is a prepper. He was a partner at one of the largest firms in the world. He’s a judge now. Has the land, guns, all the prepper gear shit you see on the shows. I tease him that I think he wants something to happen

Neat. You could make it off grid? Like a doomsday prepper? One of my best friends is a prepper. He was a partner at one of the largest firms in the world. He’s a judge now. Has the land, guns, all the prepper gear shit you see on the shows. I tease him that I think he wants something to happen

Several years ago here one of our over-educated under-achievers wrote that he'd be fine with an EMP scenario as he felt he had the skills to survive. He may well have been drunk or stoned at the time.

Several years ago here one of our over-educated under-achievers wrote that he'd be fine with an EMP scenario as he felt he had the skills to survive. He may well have been drunk or stoned at the time.
Lmao. My buddy’s prepper life coincided with his midlife crisis. He’s a fancy prepper too. Bought all the high end shit. But I suspect his bravado exceeds his skills. A new 911 would have been cheaper.

I’ll be in the first wave to die. Mad max doesn’t appeal to me.

Last edited:
I'm not a "prepper", Just confident in what I have, what I can do without, and what it would take for me (and mine) to survive. Life can be really simple, the "next big movement"s, like wokeness, make it more and more intolerable. It's just another grab, one pinch at a time, for people to shrug self responsibility, and not have to look in the mirror.
"Neat" eh?

I'm not a "prepper", Just confident in what I have, what I can do without, and what it would take for me (and mine) to survive. Life can be really simple, the "next big movement"s, like wokeness, make it more and more intolerable. It's just another grab, one pinch at a time, for people to shrug self responsibility, and not have to look in the mirror.
"Neat" eh?
"Neat" eh?
Yeah I don’t mean progressive policies taking over I mean an actual doomsday emp type scenario. No stores no power etc. my buddy says he could make it five years lol. Maybe he could. Anyway that stuff is interesting/entertaining to me. Again I wouldn’t live past my first scheduled meal

Here is a good stories on EMPs. There are fixes, a neighbor used to work on systems for surviving EMPs. But it costs money to implement. It makes sense to begin.

That's great and everybody should hope he's right. MAD would posit that no country would ever attempt such an attack. Nevertheless, an off-shore boomer could do the job and possibly knock out enough of our command and control so that retaliation might not be possible. I'd say that only Russia and China have the capability. I have no worries about terrorists being able to do anything EMP related.

But we should never so blithely assume this could never happen. Hardening our core systems is essential.

Lmao. My buddy’s prepper life coincided with his midlife crisis. He’s a fancy prepper too. Bought all the high end shit. But I suspect his bravado exceeds his skills. A new 911 would have been cheaper.

I’ll be in the first wave to die. Mad max doesn’t appeal to me.

Wasn't a "fancy prepper" deal. Said he could grow his own food.

The main thrust was that it would make the world a vastly superior place due to the vast population decline.

Yeah I don’t mean progressive policies taking over I mean an actual doomsday emp type scenario. No stores no power etc. my buddy says he could make it five years lol. Maybe he could. Anyway that stuff is interesting/entertaining to me. Again I wouldn’t live past my first scheduled meal

Read One Second After and then One Year After, both by an author mentioned in the article Marvin linked. William Fortschen, I believe his name is spelled, without looking it up.

Nevertheless, an off-shore boomer could do the job and possibly knock out enough of our command and control so that retaliation might not be possible.
Anything is possible, but the general belief is that our submarines are relatively safe. The trick is getting orders to them.

Anything is possible, but the general belief is that our submarines are relatively safe. The trick is getting orders to them.

And there's the rub. A surprise and properly-executed attack would render the submarine force leaderless. They would be unlikely to know exactly who the adversary might be. Given that there would likely be only two possible candidates, however, both of those two should know beforehand that our boomers would respond with swift and furious anger.

I would say the Pentagon has thoroughly worked through all the potential scenarios, thus making the likelihood of an EMP attack rather remote. But even Yogi mentioned something about it being hard to make predictions because it involves the future.

Reactions: DABFAN and 76-1
And there's the rub. A surprise and properly-executed attack would render the submarine force leaderless. They would be unlikely to know exactly who the adversary might be. Given that there would likely be only two possible candidates, however, both of those two should know beforehand that our boomers would respond with swift and furious anger.

I would say the Pentagon has thoroughly worked through all the potential scenarios, thus making the likelihood of an EMP attack rather remote. But even Yogi mentioned something about it being hard to make predictions because it involves the future.
We cannot protect all the US with this, but a low-tech solution to EMPs is a Faraday cage. I would hope someone has created a command and control system inside a cage. But maybe not.

Any business that doesn’t have an NGAV with EDR is ripe for a ransomware attack. On top of that, they should also have a company like Secureworks integrated with that so they can be sure to have any issues remediated before they go too far. It’s shocking how many businesses do not have what I just laid out.

Last edited:
In the span of one night, a half a dozen guys with some gumption and a plan could make a city the size of Evansville or an entire rural county go dark.

It wouldn't be too hard to accomplish using low tech methods.

That's great and everybody should hope he's right. MAD would posit that no country would ever attempt such an attack. Nevertheless, an off-shore boomer could do the job and possibly knock out enough of our command and control so that retaliation might not be possible. I'd say that only Russia and China have the capability. I have no worries about terrorists being able to do anything EMP related.

But we should never so blithely assume this could never happen. Hardening our core systems is essential.

NK could probably pull it off at this point...😣

Which means we need to start worrying about the highest bidder scenario...🙉

😵

The BIG problem scenario is an Iran type 2nd tier opponent creating a big three conflict which leaves them the last woman standing... 😞

So you’d be willing to take yourself and the rest of us back to the Dark Ages because..checks post…you hate the “Wokes”?

You sound like a radicalized moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT