ADVERTISEMENT

Crean's best team

Where did I say a HS coach could be doing what Crean is doing? That's complete bull. Crean has assembled a great and highly athletic team that should go to the FF this year. He's turned a corner with his coaching IMHO. What's funny is that all of you guys that did nothing but preach against negativity now can't accept that some of us are actually coming around. In the words of a Welsh friend of mine, take yes for an answer.

Relax.
I was not stating you said a high school coach could go far with this team nor do I have any idea what you thought about us getting OG/JM.
I was referring to a widespread narrative among many posters ( a greatest hits compilation).

Ding, ding, ding....we have a bingo.
Not sure of that particular posters intent but the narrative is shifting from:
Crean cannot recruit
Why did we take OG,JM
Who in the hell is Cojo
Crean cannot develop players
Our good players would have made it to the NBA anyway etc.

With bad recruiting and a total inability to develop players we should absolutely suck but now that we are looking good the message is:

There is no way a team with all this talent should not be in the FF.
We have the best talent in the league.
A high school coach could go far with this team etc etc

Kind of funny to read/watch.

well, he's not recruiting well enough to meet program expectations to date

not developing talent enough to meet program expectations to date

no, he's not a bad coach. easily 4th best in the league if you go by results. he jumped a spot after bo retired. lol

you're reading too much into it. no one is saying he's bad. he just hasn't been good enough

Relax.
I was not stating you said a high school coach could go far with this team nor do I have any idea what you thought about us getting OG/JM.
I was referring to a widespread narrative among many posters ( a greatest hits compilation).
More hyperbole. Something we should expect for those with an agenda...

Rikki, you have a pretty tongue, though I wish you'd write down to my level. I talk this way to everyone, except that neighbor kid who is going to Purdue. I hate that little sumbitch and will not even speak to him now.

One question: does pillory mean "kick the pooey out of" because that is what I really want to do all the haters.
I don't know if you are serious or not, I am not on this board enough to know you. You are entertaining though. I like your enthusisam

Looking at some of the complaints on TB only taking 2 shots (and one of them being a 3) is ridiculous. Those shots are going to our long range shooters who can flat FILL IT UP from deep. Why would we have TB pounding inside when we can shoot over 40% from beyond the arc? This team can flat out shoot the rock. They're gonna be nearly impossible to defend come tournament time and by then, it'll be pick your poison. Again, Crean has it going on. Why I ever doubted him is beyond me.

Looking at some of the complaints on TB only taking 2 shots (and one of them being a 3) is ridiculous. Those shots are going to our long range shooters who can flat FILL IT UP from deep. Why would we have TB pounding inside when we can shoot over 40% from beyond the arc? This team can flat out shoot the rock. They're gonna be nearly impossible to defend come tournament time and by then, it'll be pick your poison. Again, Crean has it going on. Why I ever doubted him is beyond me.

I'm glad you're turning the corner dug. You are correct in your assessment. Why would Crean pound it inside to his star center against a crappy team and risk getting him banged up. Also, I think Crean doesn't want to expose his hand too early and give away any of his secrets. Smart if you ask me.

Now on to the math. A three is much more valuable when you hit around 40-41% like IU does. If they're open, take them whether they're early or late in the shot clock. Crean is very good at this. It's going to open things up for Bryant come conference play. I love the way the offense is clicking now. Limit the turnovers and we're going to be in EXCELLENT shape.

Good post dug.

I would not count any eggs before they hatch regarding Crean and the BTT and NCAA's. He is 1-17 in getting to the FF (and got blown out by 30+) and 0-8 in BTT's.

I understand hope springs eternal, especially when beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor at home (ignoring IPFW) and the win one for the Gipper games like the UNC game at home. However, winning games at home and beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor have not been the problem.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I would not count any eggs before they hatch regarding Crean and the BTT and NCAA's. He is 1-17 in getting to the FF (and got blown out by 30+) and 0-8 in BTT's.

I understand hope springs eternal, especially when beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor at home (ignoring IPFW) and the win one for the Gipper games like the UNC game at home. However, winning games at home and beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor have not been the problem.

What happened to Crean's Marquette team when they did reach the final four is largely overlooked by those that like to use it as evidence of him being able to coach in the tournament. It was pretty obvious they didn't belong there.

He's never had a team this long and athletic. Never. That's why I stated this is his best team. It is. By A LOT.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
How am I setting him up for failure? I'm supporting him and the team. You guys are unbelievable. You complain about all the negativity and I have a legit change of heart and I get crap like this. Yes, Scott I'm convinced Crean is going to lead this team, easily his most athletic and interchangeable, to a FF this year. It's all there.
Good but it just seems odd for you to do this with how much you dislike Crean.

haha. well, he did pick a result-oriented profession.

all the other metrics in the world could be stellar, but sports is about winning.

winning.

you are a good dude but your post is everything wrong with the 10% who don't expect much more. weird af
And you my friend are 100% wrong for presuming I don't expect more. But I don't think you or your opinions are weird. I just don't agree with some of them.

Reactions: hondo314
I'm glad you're turning the corner dug. You are correct in your assessment. Why would Crean pound it inside to his star center against a crappy team and risk getting him banged up. Also, I think Crean doesn't want to expose his hand too early and give away any of his secrets. Smart if you ask me.

Now on to the math. A three is much more valuable when you hit around 40-41% like IU does. If they're open, take them whether they're early or late in the shot clock. Crean is very good at this. It's going to open things up for Bryant come conference play. I love the way the offense is clicking now. Limit the turnovers and we're going to be in EXCELLENT shape.

Good post dug.
He's being sarcastically trolling imo.

Reactions: IU Scott
He's never had a team this long and athletic. Never. That's why I stated this is his best team. It is. By A LOT.
Let's agree that this has the potential to be his best team based on physical attributes. His best team still hasn't figured out how to beat a zone.

He's being sarcastically trolling imo.
Is that being English composing?
Believe what you will. Some of us have come around and now see that Crean has recruited the exact team he's always wanted, more athletic and multi-positional, than any he's ever had. I was wrong about him and I've now admitted that. Some of you aren't happy unless you're unhappy. So be it. I could care less. I'm just gonna enjoy this season and the FF that's more than likely that will follow.

Last edited:
Let's agree that this has the potential to be his best team based on physical attributes. His best team still hasn't figured out how to beat a zone.
I'll give you credit for how you stated that last sentence. The TEAM hasn't figured it out. That's not on Crean. He can't play the game for them, can he? He has undoubtedly drilled them in the subtle nuances of a 2-3 zone and I know that they'll destroy it next time, because of both his unique approach to the game and the athletes he's assembled. It won't even matter. We'll be raining 3s from the hash marks. There's NO STOPPING this team.

Good but it just seems odd for you to do this with how much you dislike Crean.
Dude, I TOLD you that I WAS WRONG. This season has made me see it with each passing game. Crean has grown as a coach and I was wrong for pidgeonholing before.

You ****ing suck. And that's coming from someone who also isn't a fan of Crean.
Well that's a well thought out and intelligently composed post. You wanna spell that out or just continue to be an idiot who talks $hit? Make a salient point or stfu. "Also isn't a fan of Crean"? You have a Crean hating mouse in your pocket or did you just fall out of the short bus?

Whatever. You guys are on crack if you don't get on board and enjoy this run we're gonna go on.

Friend I am thoroughly entertained. And anyone with the wit to pen: "Is that being English composing?" gets a lifetime pass from me. Bloody f-ing brilliant and the best laugh I had all weekend.

I salute you. GO IU!!!!!

:D
:D

Is that being English composing?
Believe what you will. Some of us have come around and now see that Crean has recruited the exact team he's always wanted, more athletic and multi-positional, than any he's ever had. I was wrong about him and I've now admitted that. Some of you aren't happy unless you're unhappy. So be it. I could care less. I'm just gonna enjoy this season and the FF that's more than likely that will follow.
Ha ha. Take out being. I switched mid-sentence.

We'll believe you but why all of sudden this exuberance for TC? I've been a supporter. I'm a supporter who isn't quite sure if he's turned the corner but that isn't a requisite for my support. I think the Fort Wayne game could have been won without OG by talent alone, but specifically drawing up plays instead of having JBJ create. I'd hate to lose a game without having a shot. The end game is my concerned. For others, it's the fundamentals, but what exactly is the "turning of cornets" you've witnessed?

I just thought you were trolling the ancient Yule-tide carol. Apologies.

Correct. To me a Big 10 Champion should never be lower than a 2 seed which means worst case scenario #8 in the country. But the precedent has been set. Will be interesting to compare power conference champions in the future to our 5 seed from last year.

To me us being a 5 seed was just part of the made for TV setup programs like IU will face. So instead of Kentucky in round 2 this year who do we get? UCLA in round 2, Kentucky in round 3....Duke for a chance to get to Final 4?

Our seed was based mostly on our strength of schedule last year

Ha ha. Take out being. I switched mid-sentence.

We'll believe you but why all of sudden this exuberance for TC? I've been a supporter. I'm a supporter who isn't quite sure if he's turned the corner but that isn't a requisite for my support. I think the Fort Wayne game could have been won without OG by talent alone, but specifically drawing up plays instead of having JBJ create. I'd hate to lose a game without having a shot. The end game is my concerned. For others, it's the fundamentals, but what exactly is the "turning of cornets" you've witnessed?

I just thought you were trolling the ancient Yule-tide carol. Apologies.
Oops. That's what I get for not reading the entire thread before replying. Ignore me. Most do.

(That said, I just re-read this...are you drunk?)

Reactions: hoosierdug
Our seed was based mostly on our strength of schedule last year

It was?! That's deeply disturbing. Mine was/is I hope based on excellent nutrition, minimal exposure to chemicals and exceptional genetic inheritance.

Best of luck with that.

Last edited:
Well you were the one that said until Crean is gone that you won't be back this team.
I realize you obviously have some limitations grasping things but can you read and understand that I've now said at least twice that I was wrong. Good grief, dude. You want me to draw you a picture?

Don't sleep on Texas Southern. They are playing one of the most difficult non-con schedules in the country, and will probably dominate their conference. They could end up earning a decent seed for a low-major. Obviously, most years, none of the Cinderella teams make it all the way to the FF, but it does happen once in a while, and if it were to happen this year, they would be one of the best candidates.
Louisville beat them by 30. The didn't look very good but I think Louisville will make some good teams look bad sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT